PDA

View Full Version : Does most dark hair look better with some highlights?

goldcopperbrown
February 24th, 2011, 04:43 PM
My hair growth goal is NOT super long, so I can still highlight without worrying about ruining my hair. I use great protein treatments, etc.

By highlights I don't mean pale blonde highlights- on my medium brown hair that would look horrendous. But I mean more bronzey/golden highlights, very subtle and face-framing. Do you think most hair just looks sexier and more interesting with some highlights?

And if so, what highlighting methods have you used? I like to color/cut my own hair.

McFearless
February 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM
1. your hair looks great in your avatar

2. i dont think ALL dark hair looks good with highlights.. but sometimes I think it can brighten up your complexion. personally i have a few warm reddish/brown highlights in my black hair

goldcopperbrown
February 24th, 2011, 10:25 PM
First off thanks! It's not really that color anymore but I appreciate it! (that one was Nice N Easy Perfect 10 Light Chocolate Brown).

walterSCAN
February 24th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Most dark hair? No. Actually, I usually prefer all-over color in general and a little more so as regards dark hair. That's my personal preference though.

Some dark hair can look good/ perhaps better with highlights added (like you said, the subtler the better... blonde-blonde highlights rarely go well with dark hair) but as McFearless said, it also has a lot to do with how the hair color(s) interact with the rest of your coloring. Golden tones are definitely not for everyone!-- and I would hazard that they are not even for most. (But they can look very nice and interesting on some! It's all subjective.)

pixiedust
February 24th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I'd say I try to talk 50% of my clients out of getting highlights because I personally don't like them in dark hair, especially golden ones. I think it makes darker colours muddy looking (usually, not always), but that's just my opinion. the colour in you avatar is really pretty though :)

dwjdxo2008
February 24th, 2011, 11:51 PM
i prefer all-over color. personally, highlights doesn't look good on most people. especially when theres big contrast between natural color vs highlighted color.

baaaad_kitty
February 25th, 2011, 12:04 AM
No. Definitely not. I live in a place where a lot of the hair of people is colored or highlighted with blonde-ish streaks (influence of media and hollywood and stuff) and I think a too light highlight does not go so well. The hair can look brassy like a broom (we call it "walis" hair) if you go too light.

And, your hair looks super pretty in your avatar!

Chamy
February 25th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I prefer an all-over colour on almost every hair. I dont really care for highlights, especially when they are a much different colour then the original. It looks best when highlights are done so that you can't really notice them. Just my two cents.

Yozhik
February 25th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I think it all depends on the person and the shade of dark.

I have dark dark brown hair, and in the sunlight have natural dark reddish brown streaks running through.

Juneii
February 25th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Dark hair in particular (in my opinion) looks best without highlights. Lighter hair looks lovely with highlights though.

mustpannkook
February 25th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I like dark hair in all one color, without highlights.

curlymarcia
February 25th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I think it depend on your hair color and your skin tone. For example, I like really dark hair without highlights (I think it looks more shiny and suits good for a lot of skin tones). The medium brown can be more boring, I think subtle highlights can look great.