PDA

View Full Version : Your hair and travel?

LisaMonster
February 24th, 2011, 04:07 PM
When you travel, depending on how far and how long your trip, how much hair stuff goes with?

Do you have a spare suitcase for all of your oils and herbs and conditioners and toys, or do you cut down when you're away from home?

enfys
February 24th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I tend not to go away for too long, ten days for honeymoon was the longest.

I take a shampoo bar from Lush and their solid conditioner. I don't like to use either, but it's better than liquids leaking. On honeymoon, I used the conditioner and shampoo provided in the hotel room; that shows how much I dislike solids! They were a back-up.

As for oils, I saturate kitchen towel with oils, then put them inside several plastic sandwich bags. Rub my hands over the oily paper, then my hair. What, you think I'll go to a meet with unoiled hair? :p

Nothing complex or time consuming for me thankyouverymuch.

Toys...I wouldn't take anything breakable or wear something confiscateable if I'm going through an airport. Simple, pinned buns usually win, and Ficcares/Flexi 8s pass the test.

If I'm staying in the UK, I probably wouldn't change that since I travel light. If it's less than four days I probably won't even take a bag with me.

Yozhik
February 24th, 2011, 04:21 PM
It definitely depends on how long the trip is. :)

When I left for 1 month this past winter break, I was traveling all month, living out of a backpack, and crossing international borders by air (i.e. liquid problems) I only brought cone-free conditioner and resolved to use whatever SLS shampoo was on hand. To my surprise, one hotel we stayed in had pretty hair-friendly products!

I'm currently in Russia for 10 months (have been here for 5 months already), however, and for this longer stay I made sure I brought my go-to products -- coconut oil, aloe vera gel, shampoo bars, my horn comb, and tangle teezer. And my ficcares, amish pins, and some good hair elastics. Of course it also depends on the availability of things where you're going. I picked up a pretty nice wooden comb here, as well as some great new hairsticks, so bringing things like that would have been overkill. ;)

jil
February 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM
When I went to South America for six weeks I packed very light. I brought one bottle of my favorite conditioner (in my checked bag) and bought shampoo when I got there. I brought a few hair ties and a headband. It was difficult to decide what to leave behind, but I found I didn't really miss my hair products. (I should add that I don't have a lot of hair toys or too many products at home either!)

teela1978
February 24th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I did several weeks through europe recently and found solid shampoo to work pretty well. I've recently gotten some solid conditioner as well.

My usual routine doesn't involve much though. I shampoo and condition. Maybe weekly-ish I'll oil. Since traveling with liquids is a pain in the neck I just go solid for travel. Works for me :)

Misti
February 25th, 2011, 06:08 AM
When I travel, its to see family, so a two day road trip to NY or a flight to Sweden or Australia. To NY or Aus I take two hair ties, two hair sticks, two scrunchies, and some hair pins. I oil my hair before I go and buy what I need when I get there. That gives me enough to make most hairdoes I might want while traveling and the rest is mostly easier to get than to carry.

I am glad you asked, though, Lisa. I use ACV and baking soda to clean my hair. That is cheap and easy to get most place, but in Sweden, I can't get BS! I may have to carry it, but I wondered whether anyone knew of another option....

My scalp reacts badly to shampoo of any kind these days, so that's not an option.

*Aoife*
February 25th, 2011, 06:16 AM
I usually end up having to shampoo when I'm on holiday, either because I tend to go to places with peat water or I'm staying in a hostel so I can't be more than 5 minutes in the shower. So I bring my conditioners in 100ml bottles, a little shampoo, plenty of elastics and usually a flexi-8 or something small but practical.

Nymph
February 25th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Since discovering oil shampoo I just make a batch beforehand if I know I'll have to shower there. I have those "flight travel bottles" and that's more than enough in general. If I stay over at someone I know, I don't bring anything else, most people have vinegar or lemon in their kitchen, and if I'm at a hotel I'll just buy a lemon or something. I only have to wash my hair once a week so that helps.
For hair toys, I'll just take a stick, a hairband and amish pins.

If I had to move somewhere else for a really long time, like several months, I'd probably take just the hair toys and invest in a shampoo and coconut oil there.

Pierre
February 25th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I bring a small bottle of scented jojoba, a comb, a pair of scissors, and some Flexis. I'm WO, so I don't need shampoo or condish. I haven't gone on a trip long enough that I'd need to bring henna; if I did, I'd have to check with the authorities if I were entering BR, AU, or US with it.

Finoriel
February 25th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I'm kind of minimalistic when it comes to travel.
My whole personal care equipment is:
- a LUSH 2in1 bar which is used for face washing, showering and hair washing (it's been ages since I bought it and the name escapes me right now, but it's the yellow one with shampoo and conditioner in one bar)
- my comb
- a hairstick
- some tiny silicone elastics which are "stored" on my toothbrush
- a tiny lip-balm tin filled with a homemade oil mix which works for hair and lips
- toothbrush&paste
- nail clippers
- sunscreen
It stays pretty much the same for any traveling between two days or some weeks.

Sheltie_Momma
February 25th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I take bubble wrap and make a toys holder, for a week I like to have a ficcare, a pair of hairsticks, a dozen bobby pins, 4 spin pins and a headband. I put four hair bands on my toothbrush. I roll each item and put them in a ficcare box and that box goes in my purse that I carry on with me.

I like to use Nature's Gate hemp bodywash as a travel item - it works for face/body/hair/undy wash. I can generally use whatever conditioner is around. I don't travel with oils but I do travel with the sample size of Nightblooming panacea. This goes in a ziploc and stays in my purse with me. It smells so awesome so it covers my need for perfume/handcream/leave in.

Don't forget to not wear metal hairtoys on travel days or you will end up taking your hair down at the security walk through.

bumblebums
February 25th, 2011, 08:42 AM
It definitely depends on how long the trip is. :)

When I left for 1 month this past winter break, I was traveling all month, living out of a backpack, and crossing international borders by air (i.e. liquid problems) I only brought cone-free conditioner and resolved to use whatever SLS shampoo was on hand. To my surprise, one hotel we stayed in had pretty hair-friendly products!

I'm currently in Russia for 10 months (have been here for 5 months already), however, and for this longer stay I made sure I brought my go-to products -- coconut oil, aloe vera gel, shampoo bars, my horn comb, and tangle teezer. And my ficcares, amish pins, and some good hair elastics. Of course it also depends on the availability of things where you're going. I picked up a pretty nice wooden comb here, as well as some great new hairsticks, so bringing things like that would have been overkill. ;)

There's hairsticks in Russia? that's breaking news that should have been posted in the Haircare in Russia thread! :)

I usually bring some dried Indian herbs and a small quantity of coconut oil. If I'm feeling minimalist, I take a little travel shampoo bottle filled with white vinegar and a few EOs and do water-only washes with a vinegar rinse afterwards, which I also mix up on the spot.

sunnyhope
February 25th, 2011, 09:32 AM
When I travel, its to see family, so a two day road trip to NY or a flight to Sweden or Australia. To NY or Aus I take two hair ties, two hair sticks, two scrunchies, and some hair pins. I oil my hair before I go and buy what I need when I get there. That gives me enough to make most hairdoes I might want while traveling and the rest is mostly easier to get than to carry.

I am glad you asked, though, Lisa. I use ACV and baking soda to clean my hair. That is cheap and easy to get most place, but in Sweden, I can't get BS! I may have to carry it, but I wondered whether anyone knew of another option....

My scalp reacts badly to shampoo of any kind these days, so that's not an option.
u should be able to get BS in swden as we get what you call bakepulver in Norway which should be quite equal to BS i think....

Finoriel
February 25th, 2011, 10:20 AM
We do have baking soda in Sweden :agree:
The tricky thing is to not confuse baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) with baking powder (sodium bicarbonate + an acidic salt + some anti caking agent like cornstarch).
If you want pure baking soda then you'd need to buy "bikarbonat / natron" not "bakpulver" (=bakingpowder). Should be found in the in the herbs isle and usually looks like this > link (http://www.matservice.se/bilder/stora/7311310023454.jpg).

slythwolf
February 25th, 2011, 10:30 AM
It's been a long time (I'm talking over 10 years, and I was chin-length and highlighting then) since I've gone anywhere for long enough to need to wash my hair while I was away. I usually bring three or four hair ties, the good comb, my box of pins and whatever stick I'm wearing on the way there.

Kaijah
February 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Well, I usually don't go far when I travel... the furthest/longest recently was a two week trip to California. Mostly my "trips" are just a few days to visit a friend that's moved or something. I always drive, never fly, so the liquid restrictions aren't an issue for me.

I take the same things, regardless of how long or how far away. My hair can react waaaay too badly to products for me to be able to use whatever happens to be around. :(

I take a bottle of shampoo, a bottle of conditioner (usually my AOHR, because that's easy to adapt for both CWC conditioners and a leave in), and a small 2 oz jar of coconut oil. Then an elastic or two, a pair of ketylos, and maybe a ficcare or flexi-8 if I think I'll want to alter my hairstyle from a cinnabun or braid.

Becky Safari
February 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM
This summer I'll be living in the Bolivian rain forest for 12 weeks, and I don't use that lightly, I mean literally in the rain forest with a tent. I'll be without hot water or even electricity.

I need to find a good biodegradable shampoo that is okay to use in the jungle, does anyone have any suggestions?

pepperminttea
February 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM
If it was for just a few nights I'd just wash my hair before I left and after I came back; I'd probably take my brush, a light oil, a couple of elastics, a ficcare, and a pair of ketylos. Longer than that, I'd decant my shampoo into a travel-size, and take my bottle of conditioner as it is. If it involved airports, I'd have to rethink because of the rules about liquids and the risk of confiscation, but I only fly somewhere if I really have to. I'm more of a train person. :)

CAPA7
February 25th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I normally travel VERY light, but I've noticed the one thing on which I won't compromise are toiletries.
When I travel to Vienna next month I think I'll pack mini bottles of shampoo and conditioner, a small 50ml jar of coconut oil and decant a little curl cream into a mini tin. That's all I'll need for my hair care, but I'll also probably bring a Ficcare, a Flexi 8 and a hair stick. Oh, and hair pins, but those hardly take any space at all.

Nastasia
February 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I don't travel all that much, and I don't have a problem using other shampoos and conditioners, so usually I just bring along a comb, a couple of spare hair ties, and a couple of sticks. For a longer trip, maybe also my flexi-8.

Vijikanth
February 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I do travel a lot. I wash my hair daily and oil it daily when still damp. But 2 days before the travel day, I shampoo and condition it. I carry couple of hairbands and a very big sized kirchief and a cap. That'll take care of the hair. most of the time when travelling, I wear a cap as it prevents dryness of hair due to wind. Also helps put down the hair. I wear a ponytail or half tail and wear a cap usually

GRU
February 25th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Conditioner
Tangle Teezer
Hair stick(s)
Hair ties
Small container of coconut oil or sample size jar of Panacea if more than 1-2 nights
Scissors

Misti
February 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
u should be able to get BS in swden as we get what you call bakepulver in Norway which should be quite equal to BS i think....

Thank you, Sunny. The bakpulver I have been able to find is actually baking powder -- that is, baking soda with acid additives, which means it doesn't work on my hair. :(

I did find actual bicarbonate soda -- at the pharmacy in small amounts at high prices.

Misti
February 25th, 2011, 08:22 PM
We do have baking soda in Sweden :agree:
The tricky thing is to not confuse baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) with baking powder (sodium bicarbonate + an acidic salt + some anti caking agent like cornstarch).
If you want pure baking soda then you'd need to buy "bikarbonat / natron" not "bakpulver" (=bakingpowder). Should be found in the in the herbs isle and usually looks like this > link (http://www.matservice.se/bilder/stora/7311310023454.jpg).

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Finoriel!

I am so relieved! (I found it hatrd to believe that something so basic wasn't available, but my daughter in law had no idea what I was asking for, nor did the clerks I asked. Maybe the town is too small. ;) I'll try Malmo next time.)

I did find a LOT of bakpulver and people seemed very confused that it wasn't what I wanted. :p You should have seen their faces when I said it was for my hair. I don't think I'll share that next time. ;)

sakuraemily
February 26th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I take oil, shampoo and conditioner. Shampoo and conditioner in sachets and oil in a small 25 ml bottle, unless where I'm going has oil stores nearby which always happens where I live.

evampr18
February 26th, 2011, 12:23 AM
This summer I'll be living in the Bolivian rain forest for 12 weeks, and I don't use that lightly, I mean literally in the rain forest with a tent. I'll be without hot water or even electricity.

I need to find a good biodegradable shampoo that is okay to use in the jungle, does anyone have any suggestions?

Whattttttt??? AWESOME! I have no suggestions, I just think that is SO cool. I have no idea what you can use to keep your hair clean in the bolivian rain forest.....but I am intruiged. :drama:

yotaka
February 26th, 2011, 12:38 AM

IMHO, shampoo bars would be the best if you don't hate them. Which most people LOVE them once they're used to them. You don't leave behind any container so you don't have to worry about biodegradability. Also, you can use it on your body as well. In case you haven't come across it on LHC before, this is one of the most popular sites to buy shampoo bars. There's no chemicals, and only all natural ingredients are used. Very forest friendly:

http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/products.htm

Oh, and of course, have fun on your trip! I'm sure many of us here, including myself, envy such an adventure!

Carolyn
February 26th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I travel by car so I take pretty much as much stuff as I feel like. I pack what I need for overnight when staying at a motel but I'll have more in the car if I want it. I could get by with much less than I do but I don't see the point in trying. I haven't flown since all the 911 crap so I haven't experienced the liquid restrictions personally. The only place I am likely to fly to is NC to visit my son. I've left a ton of stuff at his house so I won't have to bring anything liquid with me other than make up items. If I don't have something with me I can go buy it when I get there. I don't have any plans to travel outside the USA so it's not a concern at this time.

anodyne_ame
February 27th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I'm unfortunately (for me) the type who either:
A) has lots of visions and plans for making fancy updos while on the trip, but ends up alternating between a pony and a braid and not using any of the hair things I brought along (why did I pack this much?!)
or B) packs a shampoo, conditioner, one elastic and maybe a brush, then while on the trip gets all excited about doing fancy updos but has nothing to hold them in place (why didn't I pack at least bobby pins or one stick?!)
I'm still trying to find a compromise that would work every time :D

DuckyDot
February 27th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Coconut oil in a mini plastic box, Shampoo and Conditioner, Hair elastics, Hair pins, Bobby Pins, Wooden Comb. Simple!

Charlotte:)
March 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I pour my shampoo/conditioner into travel size bottles and take just my basic hair toys (a couple of elestics, some bobby pins, and maybe even a headband or a pair of hairsticks). I leave my oils and BBB behind because I already have to take a comb for detangling and a regular brush for updos (I'm one of those people with stubborn slippery hair that can't even so much as be put in a ponytail without a brush).

Beatnik Guy
March 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I like to be able to carry my stuff around easily (and take it on planes) so am a minimalist traveler. I often decant some s & c and maybe jojoba into small bottles, but you can also buy stuff in most places so it's not worth taking much. :shrug:

RocketDog
March 11th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I take a comb, a smoothing/finishing brush, amish pins/spinpins, a ficcare and some goody bands. I'll use whatever S&C is available and call it good - no need to spend extra time in the bathroom fussing with my hair when I can be doing other things instead!

Cirafly24
March 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm traveling to NY for a week in April, and I'll be taking the following hair items: comb, brush, shampoo, conditioner (full size bottles), Nightblooming's Vegan Panacea (sample size), a ficcare, 2 hair sticks, 2-3 hair forks, a few tiny silicone elastics for braids, a flexi-8, a bunch of hairpins, metal free elastics, a soft velvet scrunchy, and my satin sleep cap.

Hair stuff is the only thing I can't pack lightly! It will probably make up 60% of the stuff I pack :o

I'll probably use plastic pins on the plane so I don't have to worry about setting off the metal detector :D

Sundial
March 11th, 2011, 09:34 PM
It really depends on where I'm traveling to. My last trip was to the US and I didn't bring any hair stuff except for 1 hair stick and 1 silk scarf. I did bring along an almost empty suitcase though because I was planning on getting my hands on all those conditioners that are not available here - VO5, GFTN, etc. I even managed to grab sets of spin pins! :p I went home with an entire luggage of hair stuff and just managed to meet the baggage weight limit. (TSA must be thinking I'm nuts! They did open up my luggage to check on it. I bet they must be suspicious of a luggage full of nothing but liquids!)

If, however, I am heading to someplace where I can't be sure suitable hair stuff will be available then I will bring a new bottle of conditioner, a small bottle of shampoo, and some oils.

Fufu
March 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM
When traveling, I definitely use my own shampoo and condition in two travel size bottles, bring one of my hair serum product, I usually will not bring my camellia oil if it is only a week less travel.

Jenn of Pence
March 11th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Here's my travel conundrum...it's not about how much to take, but what products to take, because typically I'm going from an arid, dry climate to somewhere ridiculously humid. I know how to take care of my hair here, but I have no practice with anything else! Basically that just means toss in the hair sticks and elastics so I can hide the frizz-fest for a week. ;)