PDA

View Full Version : The "We're in Canada, Where'd You Get That" Thread

Arya
February 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I've noticed the Brits and Aussies have one, we deserve one too!!

If there's already been one started, please feel free to close/remove, but direct me to it, I'm sick of paying international shipping fees and customs for my stuff!

So Hosers, where'd you get that, eh?

Arya
February 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM
My new love is the "Live Clean' line of shampoos available at Shoppers. I picked up the ACV shampoo and Moisturizing Conditioners and I luuurve them! They're pthalate, paraben and CONE free. Although they say SLS/suflate free, they have SLOther (sodium lauryl sulfoacetate) things in them, (and glycerin in the condish) but my hair really loves it, and it's better than some of the other stuff out there!

It's expensive, but it goes on sale at Shoppers every other month or so, which is when I stock up.

I'm personally looking for a Canadian store that ships herbs/waxes/butters etc. that doesn't charge insane shipping fees. Any ideas

Calaelen
February 24th, 2011, 03:25 PM
^ I'm in Ottawa too. They also carry Live Clean at Walmart, and I am willing to bet it is cheaper there, than at Shoppers. My hair didn't like it at all, but I'm happy you've found something you like :)

jessie58
February 24th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Out west here but grew up in Ottawa. My hair is not overly fond of the Live Clean products, not sure why. It's almost like they over clean my hair it's unmanageable after using it. Also takes the curls right out of it.

Debra83
February 24th, 2011, 03:38 PM
hmmmm, haven't tried the live clean stuff yet, but I'm still loving the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition for sure.

p.s. haven't tried apple cider vinegar rinse yet for my hair either, I'm just worried that the smell will linger.

jessie58
February 24th, 2011, 03:44 PM
hmmmm, haven't tried the live clean stuff yet, but I'm still loving the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition for sure.

p.s. haven't tried apple cider vinegar rinse yet for my hair either, I'm just worried that the smell will linger.

Debra, once it's rinsed and dries, it never lingers on my hair.

Arya
February 24th, 2011, 04:32 PM
^ I'm in Ottawa too. They also carry Live Clean at Walmart, and I am willing to bet it is cheaper there, than at Shoppers. My hair didn't like it at all, but I'm happy you've found something you like :)

I live in the market, and I don't have a a car, so walmart is a trek for me! But good idea, I'll keep my eye out when I do go!

squintinschool
February 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I've tried Live Clean, but found that it is too expensive for my CO habits (and even pre-CO, as my hair is thirsty as all get out) so I switched to TRESSemme Naturals for a while (it was on sale for 4$ at Wal-Mart) and Fruit Kicks Down Under conditioner (1L for 4 something is pretty good in my book).

MafiaPrincess
February 24th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I've bought my live clean at walmart too. It's like 5ish lil less..

I'd like a freaking ficarre.. but I can't justify their shipping costs. I was less than impressed with some of my henna costs even when orderign from what seemed like Canada to find it then shipped from the states..

jessie58
February 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I've bought my live clean at walmart too. It's like 5ish lil less..

I'd like a freaking ficarre.. but I can't justify their shipping costs. I was less than impressed with some of my henna costs even when orderign from what seemed like Canada to find it then shipped from the states..

I found a Ficarre on the boards here recently which was shipped within Canada for $8 or $9, I forget which. Yet if that same seller mailed it to the U.S. it was about half that price to ship. Stupid Canada Post.

When ordering from companies, I have paid from $5 to about $18 shipping before. How much does Ficcare charge for shipping here?

squintinschool
February 24th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know where to find Amish pins that don't have shipping costs higher than the cost of the pins themselves? My hair eats Goody U-pins, and I'm in love with the hold I get with the Nightblooming finishing pins I got off the swap board (hurrah no shipping costs!) but can't seem to find any basic Amish pins (particularly the crinkly 3" kind) that don't cost almost as much as the finishing pins did.

jessie58
February 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know where to find Amish pins that don't have shipping costs higher than the cost of the pins themselves? My hair eats Goody U-pins, and I'm in love with the hold I get with the Nightblooming finishing pins I got off the swap board (hurrah no shipping costs!) but can't seem to find any basic Amish pins (particularly the crinkly 3" kind) that don't cost almost as much as the finishing pins did.

I wish I knew, I could use some myself.

littlenvy
February 24th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Oh. I just bought some at a dollar store. No joke! I looked for them everywhere and there they were! Cost me a dollar (plus HST :p) for a pack of 72.
They call them Sallon Pins and they are imported by ArtCraft out of Concord, Ontario.
http://artcraft-company.com/home.php?cat=265&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=2

squintinschool
February 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Littleenvy, from the looks of it, those are what I have now - and aren't strong/long enough to hold my hair without it taking 30 or so. :(

littlenvy
February 24th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Littleenvy, from the looks of it, those are what I have now - and aren't strong/long enough to hold my hair without it taking 30 or so. :(
:( I'm sorry. I guess because my hair is so thin and fine it never occurred to me that they may not be strong enough for others.
OK.. Let me keep an eye out for some stronger stuff for you :)

McFearless
February 24th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Food Basics sells Suave condish for 99 cents. I use it for CO.

CaityBear
February 24th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Oh. I just bought some at a dollar store. No joke! I looked for them everywhere and there they were! Cost me a dollar (plus HST :p) for a pack of 72.
They call them Sallon Pins and they are imported by ArtCraft out of Concord, Ontario.
http://artcraft-company.com/home.php?cat=265&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=2

I got those!! I love them!! But I also have fine and thin hair so I don't have a problem with them...

Darkhorse1
February 24th, 2011, 11:53 PM
If you've made good friends with members here or have family/friends in the US, you can order stuff from Ficarre or other places, send it to a US address and then have them mail it to you. JesstheMess did this for me with a gorgeous hair fork, and I got it wayyy cheaper than having it shipped to me directly.

I love Shoppers!! I need cones for my hair, but ficarres? I'm DYING to try a small ficcarissimo, but can't justify the cost of it plus shipping. So, it will stay in my dreams for now :D

Oh, and in regards to hair toys--Zellers has had some pretty good sales on Scunini hair toys. Walmart near me is too big and scares me, but last I was in there, they had a lot of new Goody items.

Oh--try Etsy for amish pins--I see them there a lot. It's a US based board, but shipping is usually normal. www.etsy.com ps--very addictive site.

Luna12345
February 24th, 2011, 11:59 PM
yay!!! i'm joining this thread :)

Luna12345
February 25th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I've noticed the Brits and Aussies have one, we deserve one too!!

If there's already been one started, please feel free to close/remove, but direct me to it, I'm sick of paying international shipping fees and customs for my stuff!

So Hosers, where'd you get that, eh?

I grew up in ottawa but I'm living in Montreal now,
I like live clean also and I'm using TRESemme naturals conditioner, it's silicone free!....
have you ever tried walking into an Indian or ethnic store, you might be able to find some herbs there:)

squintinschool
February 25th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I love Shoppers!! I need cones for my hair, but ficarres? I'm DYING to try a small ficcarissimo, but can't justify the cost of it plus shipping. So, it will stay in my dreams for now :D.

OMG that combination Shoppers + small Ficcrissimo reminded me! One of the Shoppers in either Toronto/Hamilton (I can't remember which one because it was a while back) had two styles of fakkare (both in silver) in its hairtoy section, by Stylize. They were small, so I didn't dare try them, but it may work for you. And I saw a gold fakkare and wee two prong hairfork (functional length 3.5" approximately) at H&M for ~$6 for the pair. Sadly, all of this stuff is way too small for my hair *impatiently awaits 60th street fork with 5.5" functional length*

And I will try Etsy.

Intransigentia
February 25th, 2011, 11:18 AM
The thing I'm trying to find is a Tangle Teezer. The Americans seem to be finding them at Sally's, and I've been to two Sallys here, and no Tangle Teezer.

I'd like to second the recommendation for Asian/Indian stores for hair stuff. Some of my prettiest fakkares and hairsticks I got in my local Chinatown.

gypsymoth
February 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM
^ I'm also looking for a Tangle Teezer! They sell them on Amazon for $8.99, which I am willing to pay, but shipping to here in Toronto is about $8. It's not horrible, but I'd much rather wait to buy it nearby and save a few dollars.

MafiaPrincess
February 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I too have been hitting my local Sally's for a tangle teezer since I hear that's where our US friends go. No luck for me either.

A ficcare order even buying 2 was almost the cost of another ficcare in shipping.. I browse the swap boards. I never am the first one to it for a large max when posted sadly, but I keep looking :)

Henna from the states isn't the 'deal' some other stuff is. I tried to hennaforhair first I wanted a BRIGHT red. Even a few hundred grams of henna was $35 shipped to Ontario from the states. I'm now all over hennahut.. If I get 5-6 packets I can swallow the 14ish in shipping..

I totally dig that Canada Post is a rip compared to USPS. If I buy stuff on the swap board it often costs like $2 in shipping from an American. Few things on etsy I'd like but the $10 in shipping from lets say Alberta to Ontario for things that weigh nothing isn't worth it to me on $50 purchases like jewelry.

I've shipped non hair things to US friends to save on shipping, I just feel bad doing it too often. I'm waiting on my EBJ order to see if I like the style.. If I do I'll ship some little 7 priestesses to my US friend as many of the sites I like shipping is free in the US.

Viechen
February 25th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Im in NS and it seems like everything that is found in the lasrger cities cannot be found here :( So I ended up on Etsy and have been very happy with shipping costs and times so far... I look forward to more great ideas though :D

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I don't know if this is just for Ontario but Live Clean products are on sale at Shoppers. 5.99 for everything in stock. They also sell castor oil for 2.99.

Monistat is the cheapest at Loblaws.

Darkhorse1
February 25th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hey Squintinschool--yep, saw those but I don't like the pointy-ness of fakkares. I prefer the look of the ficarrissimo and how it looks like a barrette, but is easy to just clip and run. Well, in my mind anyhow :D

Shoppers---one majorly addictive store :P

squintinschool
February 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Darkhorse1, fair enough. And Shoppers is horribly addictive. So many shiny things everywhere.

And oy, I'm seriously Etsy challenged. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find Amish pins on that site, all I come up with is anything but. As well as getting side tracked by pretty dresses (http://www.etsy.com/listing/68281382/convertibleinfinity-dress-knee-length). If I had the money (and a measuring tape longer than 25") I'd so buy one right now. What peeves me about this listing is that she says she's in Canada, and yet she ships from the states. :(

jessie58
February 25th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Darkhorse1, fair enough. And Shoppers is horribly addictive. So many shiny things everywhere.

And oy, I'm seriously Etsy challenged. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find Amish pins on that site, all I come up with is anything but. As well as getting side tracked by pretty dresses (http://www.etsy.com/listing/68281382/convertibleinfinity-dress-knee-length). If I had the money (and a measuring tape longer than 25") I'd so buy one right now. What peeves me about this listing is that she says she's in Canada, and yet she ships from the states. :(

Yep, Shoppers is horribly addictive. You know you go there a lot when you are on first name basis with the pharmacist, the makeup counter lady and half of the cashiers. :o

One of my 3 daughters cannot go into a Shoppers without spending $100. If I'm waiting in the car for her, I say, I'm giving you 2 minutes in there and if you're not out by then, you're walking home. :rolleyes:

jessie58
February 25th, 2011, 10:44 PM

I wonder if these (http://www.etsy.com/listing/57912481/12-metal-silver-hairpins-base-wedding?ref=sr_gallery_14&ga_search_query=metal+hair+pins&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade)would work. $6 for 12 of them plus $4 shipping to Canada.

Or these (http://www.etsy.com/listing/66915248/brass-wavy-hair-pins-custom-made-4?ref=sr_gallery_21&ga_search_query=metal+hair+pins&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade)? Very expensive. $15 for 2 pins plus $6.50 shipping. Yikes.

Okay, a dozen Amish pins shipped to Canada for $7.95 here (http://ww10.aitsafe.com/cf/recalc.pht)

Arya
February 25th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I don't know if this is just for Ontario but Live Clean products are on sale at Shoppers. 5.99 for everything in stock. They also sell castor oil for 2.99.

Monistat is the cheapest at Loblaws.

Really? I found it cheaper at Walmart, I thought. I was keeping tabs on prices for a while, and I'm pretty sure I got mon. 7 at Walmart for 15.99

Luna12345
February 25th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I live in the market, and I don't have a a car, so walmart is a trek for me! But good idea, I'll keep my eye out when I do go!

by market , you mean byward market? I use to live close to there SANDY HILL, I loved it there, i kind of miss it:(

jessie58
February 26th, 2011, 01:20 AM
by market , you mean byward market? I use to live close to there SANDY HILL, I loved it there, i kind of miss it:(

You guys are making me homesick for Ottawa, I used to work at a flower stall on the Byward Market and used to be a nanny in Sandy Hill.

McFearless
February 26th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Really? I found it cheaper at Walmart, I thought. I was keeping tabs on prices for a while, and I'm pretty sure I got mon. 7 at Walmart for 15.99

It would make sense for it to be cheaper at Walmart.. that means I must've gotten it on sale. Thanks for the heads up.

squintinschool
February 26th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Okay, a dozen Amish pins shipped to Canada for $7.95 here (http://ww10.aitsafe.com/cf/recalc.pht)Oooh, now you have me interested, but the link isn't working. :(

jessie58
February 26th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Oooh, now you have me interested, but the link isn't working. :(

Sorry, here you go. (http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=27)

Arya
March 1st, 2011, 10:39 AM

You guys are making me homesick for Ottawa, I used to work at a flower stall on the Byward Market and used to be a nanny in Sandy Hill.

haha, yay former Ottawans! This really isn't a city where people stick around, eh? I do love my life here this year (living in the Byward Market, with my super cool boyfriend, cheap rent, near Loblaws, etc.) but the Great Bus Strike of '09 soured me on it permanently, I think. Off to greener pastures next year or the year following.

MafiaPrincess
March 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I started thinking about getting a pair or two of Ketylos.. but the $18 in shipping is a turn off.

Viechen
March 5th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I started thinking about getting a pair or two of Ketylos.. but the $18 in shipping is a turn off.

I got my ketylos of the swap board and it was much cheaper. Plus you get to give a pair of sticks a new loving home, so thats a great plus :p Now I have to find somewhere to get a ketylo fork... *checks the site for specials*

MafiaPrincess
March 5th, 2011, 12:03 PM
My college has blocked LHC. I can view.. but can't log in on my own laptop on their internet. There actually was a pair up on the swap I wanted.. but couldn't message till I got home that night and they were gone sadly.

CaityBear
March 5th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Shoppers---one majorly addictive store :P

Soo true!! I go in for one thing and come out with ten. haha At least I have a Shoppers Optimum card so I get something out of it. Before I would use my mom's and she saved up enough to get $75 dollars off at one point and we had a shopping spree. :P In the end we still had to pay $20-some.

Arya
March 5th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know where I can get some unrefined Shea butter? I'm almost out :(
Cocoa butter would be good too. The only places i've seen have higher shipping than the price of the actual product.

meowmeow
March 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Does anyone know where I can get some unrefined Shea butter? I'm almost out :(
Cocoa butter would be good too. The only places i've seen have higher shipping than the price of the actual product.

I believe http://www.saffireblue.ca/ has unrefined shea butter, although I think they're out of stock now. They're located in Ontario so shipping will probably be cheaper for you or maybe if you're close enough to them you can do a pick up.

Anyway, to answer the thread question, I generally buy my shampoo and conditioner at London Drugs. Although I generally stalk Winners to see what they have as well. :)

Arya
March 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I believe http://www.saffireblue.ca/ has unrefined shea butter, although I think they're out of stock now. They're located in Ontario so shipping will probably be cheaper for you or maybe if you're close enough to them you can do a pick up.

Anyway, to answer the thread question, I generally buy my shampoo and conditioner at London Drugs. Although I generally stalk Winners to see what they have as well. :)

Wow, Awesome! The shipping price is actually lower than the cost of the product. Too bad I can't pick it up, but that warehouse is literally in the middle of nowhere. Somewhere between Brantford and London, like a 9-10 hour drive. We should get a list going of places with cheap shipping/based in canada sellers.

meowmeow
March 5th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I guess I'll get it started :) I found these sources on a cosmetic crafting blog.

Raw Ingredients:
BC:
http://www.aquariusaroma-soap.com/
http://www.soapcraft.ca/
http://www.sudsandscents.com/
http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/default.asp

Alberta:
http://www.creationsfromeden.com/store/

Ontario:
http://www.saffireblue.ca/

Darkhorse1
March 6th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Oh yes! That's amazing your mom saved her optimum points--the minute I have enough, I use them :) But, with Shoppers, it's SO darn easy to go in for 1 item and come out eyes glazed at a $100 bill that you're trying to figure out what you got.:D:cheese:

Soo true!! I go in for one thing and come out with ten. haha At least I have a Shoppers Optimum card so I get something out of it. Before I would use my mom's and she saved up enough to get $75 dollars off at one point and we had a shopping spree. :P In the end we still had to pay $20-some.

supermanok03
March 6th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Oh yes! That's amazing your mom saved her optimum points--the minute I have enough, I use them :) But, with Shoppers, it's SO darn easy to go in for 1 item and come out eyes glazed at a $100 bill that you're trying to figure out what you got.:D:cheese:
I used to have an Optimum card too but I lost it and never got a new one. Considering the amount I 'accidentally' spend while passing through Shoppers, it's about time I got another one!! I'll go in for a pack of gum and come out with 3 bottles of my favourite conditioner that just happened to be on sale!

Athena's Owl
March 6th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I'm currently hoarding points on my shopper's optimum card... but you know I haven't really been shopping there much lately.

actually it looks like the adjusted the rewards program from the last time I was there...downwards.

sapphire-o
March 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Here are some of my contributions:

- Goody spin pins and modern updo pins - many drug stores carry them. I found the lowest prices in Save-on-foods

- Coconut oil - nearly every health food store carry them, Superstore also carry them. I buy the Nutiva brand

- Good quality hair barrettes and bling pins - Nikko brand in Save-on-foods seems to be higher quality than any other brands.

- Sally Beauty Supplies offer all sorts of goodies if you're close to one. There are a few in Ontario and a couple in BC.

- The Body Shop - great wooden brushes and good wooden comb

- My favorite is Cranberry Lane in Port Coquitlam, a soap supply store. All sorts of carrier oils (they have camelia oil), butters, herbs good for hair and essential oils. They're the only store I found that carry indigo powder. I use their own brand of unscented shampoo (natural soap) for clarifying. They carry all sorts of bottles, tins and spritzer to mix your own concoctions in as well. I'm sure there are other soap supplies store near many people.
http://cranberrylane.stores.yahoo.net/

hootski
March 13th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Im in NS and it seems like everything that is found in the lasrger cities cannot be found here So I ended up on Etsy and have been very happy with shipping costs and times so far... I look forward to more great ideas though I'm in NB, so of course I find the same problem, EXCEPT we now have a Sallys! :cheer:

Gotta love Etsy though! :cheese:

On another note, I bought some Nature Clean 99.9% shampoo and conditioner at Superstore yesterday and though I've only used them once, I'm thrilled with them! This was my first time washing my hair since my first hendigo treatment. I only had to shampoo once and I went very light on how much I used. Still got my scalp very clean, and one dose of the conditioner made for smooth silky rinsing. Time will tell if my hair and scalp truly love it.

www.naturecleanliving.com shampoo (http://www.naturecleanliving.com/herbal_shampoo)

Over at well.ca, the reviews are positive.

http://well.ca/products/nature-clean-herbal-shampoo (http://well.ca/products/nature-clean-herbal-shampoo_11082.html?ref=relprod&related_product=21074)

On yet another note, well.ca is where I buy my cold-pressed castor oil (http://well.ca/products/the-palma-christi-castor-oil_24707.html). Their prices are a tad high, but shipping is free. :D

squintinschool
March 17th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Wooo! I found me some Amish-like pins (3" straight, coated with either brown or black) in a Rexall today. I went in because I needed to get myself a pack of 72 bobbypins for an updo (because I forgot mine at home, ACK!), and the Amish pins were hanging right there. They are called Conair Velvet Touch Updo Pins, and they come in a pack of 12 (6 each of black and brown) and cost $4.

jessie58
March 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Wooo! I found me some Amish-like pins (3" straight, coated with either brown or black) in a Rexall today. I went in because I needed to get myself a pack of 72 bobbypins for an updo (because I forgot mine at home, ACK!), and the Amish pins were hanging right there. They are called Conair Velvet Touch Updo Pins, and they come in a pack of 12 (6 each of black and brown) and cost $4.

Well it's about time. It's nice that they're so accessible and cheap

Darkhorse1
March 17th, 2011, 07:45 AM
squint--that's awesome! I haven't been in a Rexall in ages, but I know they have awesome stuff :)

squintinschool
March 17th, 2011, 09:25 AM
jessie58, I know eh? I saw them and did a double take. I'm so happy that I found them here, because no shipping fees is so good.

Darkhorse1, they really do. And these pins can hold a bun with only 5 of them in. Which is a miracle.

Copasetic
March 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM
squint--that's awesome! I haven't been in a Rexall in ages, but I know they have awesome stuff :)

I love Rexall. I find that it is often cheaper than Shoppers, but I live much closer to Shoppers, so I usually end up going there.

This is such a great idea for a thread. It might also be a good idea for us to post good deals or coupons too. Just an idea!

Artsy
March 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Has any one seen black shea butter soap in Canada? I found some online, and all suppliers are located in USA, the shipping fees are ridiculous.

Copasetic
March 17th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Has any one seen black shea butter soap in Canada? I found some online, and all suppliers are located in USA, the shipping fees are ridiculous.

Try honeyfig.ca and well.ca

I can't guarantee that they will be on there, but I use those websites a lot, and they tend to have hard to find products. Shipping isn't too bad on honeyfig, but it is 100% free anywhere in Canada on well.ca

dropinthebucket
March 18th, 2011, 05:21 AM
The LiveClean products are great! We are travelling right now, and had to buy Aubrey Organics instead. Nowhere near as good.

maddog_running
March 18th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Anyone else in Quebec? I know Shoppers = Pharmaprix but otherwise I'm never sure if we don't have the same stores or the names have been altered. :P

Darkhorse1
March 18th, 2011, 09:44 AM
My friend took me to a pharmaprix and I loved it!! I hear you Copasic--Shoppers is so much closer to me than Rexall. In some ways, it's good because Rexall has so many cool hair toys, I'd be broke. And I already am with horsey stuff! :D

squintinschool
March 18th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I just went to Wall-Mart today, and they have TresSEMME Naturals ($4, reg. ~$5) and Fruit Kicks Down Under ($3.38, reg. $4.28) conditioners (and shampoos) on sale. I haven't been able to find any other conditioners that I like that are cone-free, and relatively cheap, so I figured I'd give the rest of y'all a heads up.

jessie58
March 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I bought my first bottle of Mane and Tail conditioner at Walmart a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't seen it in drugstores and that was the first time I saw it anywhere. Hiding in a dark corner at the back, bottom of the hair stuff.

Hylia
March 19th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I just went to Wall-Mart today, and they have TresSEMME Naturals ($4, reg. ~$5) and Fruit Kicks Down Under ($3.38, reg. $4.28) conditioners (and shampoos) on sale. I haven't been able to find any other conditioners that I like that are cone-free, and relatively cheap, so I figured I'd give the rest of y'all a heads up.

Oh nice, I always get the fruit kicks down one. I never realized it was cone free though :) I usually only get it for the value and price because it lasts me months.

squintinschool
March 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Hylia, its lovely isn't it? I get the red one, and it does last a good long time, even with me COing my mane. Even before the discount its a good deal, but with it, I'm super happy. :D

andrea1982
March 19th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Extra Foods/ Superstore has large bottles of shampoo and conditioner that are kind of like suave. I think they're called exact? They have flavors like vanilla, orange blossom, honey, etc. They're cone free.

Copasetic
March 20th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Extra Foods/ Superstore has large bottles of shampoo and conditioner that are kind of like suave. I think they're called exact? They have flavors like vanilla, orange blossom, honey, etc. They're cone free.

I used these when I was cone free. They are great for co-washing, in my opinion. The Aloe and Jasmine one was my favourite. It smelled SO good. And you can buy them at No Frills too.

Artsy
March 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Try honeyfig.ca and well.ca

I can't guarantee that they will be on there, but I use those websites a lot, and they tend to have hard to find products. Shipping isn't too bad on honeyfig, but it is 100% free anywhere in Canada on well.ca

I have tried well.ca, they don't have it. Oh well, may be it will show up in Winners at some point:))

Oh I actually searched by brand at the honeyfig and they have it yay:))))

I have seen Down Under for 1.99 at London Drugs recently, not sure if the sale is still on. I love the red one as well:)

TheBluffs
March 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Toronto checking in. :D Ah... Shoppers. Phrama Plus is fantastic too. They have Goody. :D

Shorty89
March 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Extra Foods/ Superstore has large bottles of shampoo and conditioner that are kind of like suave. I think they're called exact? They have flavors like vanilla, orange blossom, honey, etc. They're cone free. I use those conditioners all the time. I find the shampoo is awful, but I love those conditioners. I usually use vanilla.

Intransigentia
March 22nd, 2011, 04:04 PM
I use those conditioners all the time. I find the shampoo is awful, but I love those conditioners. I usually use vanilla.

I don't use conditioner much, but when I did the aloe and jasmine was my favourite. Haven't gotten around to trying the vanilla but I bet it's good.

McFearless
March 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
The LiveClean products are great! We are travelling right now, and had to buy Aubrey Organics instead. Nowhere near as good.
I love their vegan leave in condish. Smells so good.

mymagicfairycom
March 23rd, 2011, 05:08 AM
I am in toronto...and buy my henna and shampoo bars from hennasooq
They ship to my house..right now month of march shipping is free
Amazing service and they answer all your questions:)

saskia_madding
March 23rd, 2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the tip on the free shipping - I've been meaning to stock up. :)

mymagicfairycom
March 23rd, 2011, 06:39 AM
You are welcome i placed an order two days ago
Just love their service and products!!

TheBluffs
June 25th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Did anyone see the new Garnier Fructis Pure Clean line and Shoppers? I picked it us today instead of Triple Nutrition to give it a try ( It's -cone free).
In other news, Aussie is on sale for $3 a bottle at Shoppers. :D

squintinschool
June 26th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Yes I did! And while we are on the topic of cheap cone-free conditioners, Walmart is having a sale on TRESSemme Naturals ($4) and Down Under/Fruit Kicks ($2.50).

McFearless
June 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know where I can find Scünci clips in Toronto? I have my eye on their ficcare lookalike.

squintinschool
June 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
The pharmacy at the SE corner of College and Bay has a wall of Scünci hair toys. I found a set of 12 Amish-like pins by them there. I don't know if they have the fakkres though, mainly because I wasn't looking for them.

Darkhorse1
June 30th, 2011, 12:34 AM
You can order Scunci stuff online too, but it's costly to ship.

Zellers, Pharma Plus and Guardian Pharmacy carry Scunci line, but depending on where you are living, the stash can be good or small (I'm out in the country, so it's not great, but Zellers is pretty good at stocking most stuff, though I had to order the bendini clips)

Darkhorse1
July 2nd, 2011, 10:40 PM
ok, so a brand new Rexall went in near where I travel to a farm to teach, and I was very bummed that, while they had Scunci products on sale, not a huge selection.

I did get some awesome Conair hair bands though :D

McFearless
July 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Thank you so much squintinschool and Darkhorse1! I'll be on the lookout :)

McFearless
September 7th, 2011, 08:00 PM
BPAL found at the gift shop @ the AGO in Toronto..

moss
March 10th, 2017, 10:44 AM
hope it's ok to bump up this old thread.

i havent' seen the suave products here in a really long time, i used to use their coconut conditioner all the time and really liked it. the internet says that sauve naturals is now called suave essentials, can we get it in canada?

Chromis
March 10th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I will be in Calgary this summer and they have a Nordstrom there. Has anyone been to the Canadian ones? Do they have Ficcare like the US stores? (I ask this given the whole fiasco with Target).

Hay_jules
March 10th, 2017, 01:35 PM
I searches for a thread like this and couldn't find one so I'm glad you resurrected it. I'm in BC also, I remember way back being able to buy suave (and v05) products but it's been a long time.

I'm not sure if Nordstrom Canada carries ficcares but I'll totally be checking out the Nordstrom Vancouver if they do. I have a friend who works there so i may be able to find out.

rmani
March 10th, 2017, 02:35 PM
No info re: Ficcares and Nordstrom but wanted to add I found a place to get curly girl products locally in GTA which also ships anywhere in Canada. It is http://www.clorebeauty.com . Reasonable prices and free shipping over $75.00.

moss
March 10th, 2017, 03:39 PM
i make a lot of skincare products for my family because my kids are allergic to everything. i buy raw materials from www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca (watch for the .ca, they have an american site as well). i get jojoba oil, shea butter, neem oil, any of the essential oils, glycerin etc from them. they also have some nice packaging. i've been looking at the ingredient lists of some of the natural haircare products and it seems like i have a lot of the ingredients on hand from my skincare making hobby, so i was thinking about messing around with making my own versions of things like the shea moisture smoothie, and the jessicurls sprays, etc. new directions has a minimum purchase amount of 100$, but i haven't had a problem finding enough things to buy to make up the minimum. :rolleyes:

another place to get raw materials is organic matters http://www.omfoods.com/

likelikepenny
March 11th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Where has this thread been all my life? Has anyone seen V05 anywhere. People in the states say they can find it at their local dollar tree or walmart, but I haven't seen it.

ETA: Also can we get Shea Moisture in target here?

likelikepenny
March 11th, 2017, 06:27 AM
No info re: Ficcares and Nordstrom but wanted to add I found a place to get curly girl products locally in GTA which also ships anywhere in Canada. It is http://www.clorebeauty.com . Reasonable prices and free shipping over $75.00.

This website has changed my life. I've been missing my cantu and cheap satin bonnets. There's noooo beauty supplies around here.

rmani
March 11th, 2017, 11:42 AM
This website has changed my life. I've been missing my cantu and cheap satin bonnets. There's noooo beauty supplies around here.

:happy dance: YAY! Same - I am lucky to live close to one of their locations but I've also ordered online from them and they're fast! I think they ship by 10am so if you order the night before it will be out next am. I placed an order Thursday night, it was shipped Friday and because of the weekend will arrive Monday.
Also keep an eye on their sales - sometimes products are 50% off!

All the Targets near me closed down but I did check when they were open and there was no SM:( Wal-mart and Shoppers carry some Cantu.

Shorty89
March 11th, 2017, 12:45 PM
I will be in Calgary this summer and they have a Nordstrom there. Has anyone been to the Canadian ones? Do they have Ficcare like the US stores? (I ask this given the whole fiasco with Target).

I walked through there once, and if I remember correctly, they had a small selection. A better bet would be to go to The French Twist in Banker's Hall (Downtown). It has some Ficcares. :) That's where I bought my first (and only) one. I haven't been there lately, but they always have a small selection of sizes/colours.

Where has this thread been all my life? Has anyone seen V05 anywhere. People in the states say they can find it at their local dollar tree or walmart, but I haven't seen it.

I've seen V05 in one Dollar and More store, but that's it. They're $3 each. If you really want them, I can try to mail some out. But, some of the ones in Canada do have cones so you have to be careful!

Robot Ninja
March 11th, 2017, 01:11 PM

There is no more Target here. Sally's has a few of their products but not a lot.

Chromis
March 11th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Oooh, right, I forgot that The French Twist is based out of Alberta! I shall add that to my Google doc, thanks!

Shorty89
March 13th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Oooh, right, I forgot that The French Twist is based out of Alberta! I shall add that to my Google doc, thanks!

:) Yup. Feel free to visit us Calgary long hairs too.

Chromis
March 13th, 2017, 12:03 PM

I'd love to! I posted on the meets board ;)

Shorty89
March 19th, 2017, 07:16 PM
I'd love to! I posted on the meets board ;)

I'll take a look :) Do you guys have any suggestions for cone-free conditioners? My favourite which is Down Under Naturals Nude's Raspberry but I can't find it anywhere anymore. For now I'm using Down Under Natural's Berry, but it's not ideal. I'd prefer something cheaper, and without coconut oil in it.

rmani
March 20th, 2017, 02:24 PM
I'll take a look :) Do you guys have any suggestions for cone-free conditioners? My favourite which is Down Under Naturals Nude's Raspberry but I can't find it anywhere anymore. For now I'm using Down Under Natural's Berry, but it's not ideal. I'd prefer something cheaper, and without coconut oil in it.

The raspberry was discontinued. Not sure why. Just remember seeing it sell out for $1/bottle at Wal-mart.

Not cheaper but I use either Shea Moisture low-porosity or Curl Junkie Smoothing Daily conditioner. Both are coconut oil free. I get them from http://www.clorebeauty.com. I'm pretty sure they're not going to carry Curl Junkie anymore as the Smoothing conditioner is now 50% off.

Shorty89
March 20th, 2017, 03:52 PM
The raspberry was discontinued. Not sure why. Just remember seeing it sell out for $1/bottle at Wal-mart.

Not cheaper but I use either Shea Moisture low-porosity or Curl Junkie Smoothing Daily conditioner. Both are coconut oil free. I get them from http://www.clorebeauty.com. I'm pretty sure they're not going to carry Curl Junkie anymore as the Smoothing conditioner is now 50% off.

:Justy: So frustrating! I haven't used Shea much so I'm not sure how my hair will react. Where do you usually buy those?

rmani
March 20th, 2017, 06:14 PM
I get them from http://www.clorebeauty.com. I live near an actual location but I have also ordered online recently and had great success. Free shipping over $75.00, shipped that day and I received it next day, and free samples :)

It's the only line I have had success with from SM as pretty much every other lines has coconut oil or protein in it. It seems more and more people have issues with coconut oil so I'm hoping more products will be made without it. It's a big problem for most low-porosity people.

I'm allergic to coconut oil and my hair is low porosity so it hates proteins. I've had success with curly girl products although my hair is wavy. To look for potential products, I go to CurlMart on Naturally Curly, filter by protein-free (which leaves like 2-3 pages of products) then look for whatever is coconut free. Unfortunately you can't filter by coconut oil free but most of them say in the title their coconut something or other or they have the ingredients listed in the product description.

Good luck - I know it sucks :(

bparnell75
March 20th, 2017, 06:27 PM

I tried to google that and i get longhorns.

Could you post a link please?

likelikepenny
March 21st, 2017, 04:57 AM

Tresseme Perfectly Undone is a good cone free drug store conditioner. The bottle lasts forever (2-3 months of daily washing on iii hair) and its reasonably priced. I wish they sold it in bigger bottles

Robot Ninja
March 21st, 2017, 10:45 AM
Tresseme Perfectly Undone is a good cone free drug store conditioner. The bottle lasts forever (2-3 months of daily washing on iii hair) and its reasonably priced. I wish they sold it in bigger bottles

It doesn't last me that long but it's still not bad. Shopper's regularly has it on sale for $4-5 bucks.

likelikepenny
March 21st, 2017, 04:19 PM
It doesn't last me that long but it's still not bad. Shopper's regularly has it on sale for $4-5 bucks.

I checked my dates on it, and I guess it lasts me about one month. I always write the date opened on the bottle.

Shorty89
March 21st, 2017, 04:39 PM
I tried to google that and i get longhorns.

Could you post a link please?

What do you mean a link? I just meant that she should visit me and the other Calgary LHC members while she's in town.

Aredhel
March 21st, 2017, 05:03 PM
Does anyone have any clue where in the GTA I can get my hands on Joico products?? :) I'm specifically looking for their chelating/clarifying shampoo. I don't remember seeing any at the Sally's by me, but I guess I wasn't specifically looking for it the last time I was there.

rmani
March 22nd, 2017, 09:27 AM
Does anyone have any clue where in the GTA I can get my hands on Joico products?? :) I'm specifically looking for their chelating/clarifying shampoo. I don't remember seeing any at the Sally's by me, but I guess I wasn't specifically looking for it the last time I was there.

Shoppers sells them and sometimes has the large bottles on sale for $20. Also Beauty Supply Outlet (BSO). Winners sometimes has them but I always wonder why products are at Winners so would be cautious.

moss
March 22nd, 2017, 10:47 AM
. Winners sometimes has them but I always wonder why products are at Winners so would be cautious. i just bought some conditioner at winners, i thought they just buy up overstocks from other companies and that's why they get good deals. doesn't seem like it would be dangerous to shop at winners? is there something i should know? :)

Jettabar99
March 22nd, 2017, 10:59 AM
Shoppers sells them and sometimes has the large bottles on sale for $20. Also Beauty Supply Outlet (BSO). Winners sometimes has them but I always wonder why products are at Winners so would be cautious.

Winners orders product as anyone else would - it is very rarely overstock. For clothing the manufacturer just uses less expensive fabric and doesnt add all their usual detail (the same as for Outlet stores). That is why it is cheaper.

rmani
March 22nd, 2017, 01:05 PM
i just bought some conditioner at winners, i thought they just buy up overstocks from other companies and that's why they get good deals. doesn't seem like it would be dangerous to shop at winners? is there something i should know? :)

I don't know anything. I'm just silly and question when products are really reduced.

Aredhel
March 22nd, 2017, 04:40 PM

Ah, that's great to know! I didn't see any at the Shoppers by my place, but I'll have to check out Winners then. :) Thanks for the tip!

Winners orders product as anyone else would - it is very rarely overstock. For clothing the manufacturer just uses less expensive fabric and doesnt add all their usual detail (the same as for Outlet stores). That is why it is cheaper.
Yep, you're right! Winners buys from the company I work for as well, and occasionally we do sell them old clearout product, but usually it's just regular stock orders from them. No cheap versions of anything or defective items, just regular old product. :)

rmani
March 22nd, 2017, 06:10 PM
Thanks for clearing that up!

likelikepenny
March 22nd, 2017, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know where I can find Eco styler gel online? I tried chloe beauty but they don't seem to sell it, online at least.

rmani
March 22nd, 2017, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know where I can find Eco styler gel online? I tried chloe beauty but they don't seem to sell it, online at least.

http://www.canadabeautysupply.ca/search.php?search_query=eco+styler&x=0&y=0 These guys ship fast. I work close by so I usually pick up but have used them online too.

rmani
March 22nd, 2017, 09:45 PM

http://www.canadabeautysupply.ca/search.php?search_query=joico&x=0&y=0 Aredhel - they have Joico too. Sorry I didn't mention them earlier. They're in Mississauga too. It's a warehouse so you need to call ahead - instructions are on their website.

likelikepenny
March 23rd, 2017, 05:59 AM
http://www.canadabeautysupply.ca/search.php?search_query=eco+styler&x=0&y=0 These guys ship fast. I work close by so I usually pick up but have used them online too.

Thanks you!

likelikepenny
March 23rd, 2017, 06:00 AM
I found this site that sells the 5 pound eco styler for $20. The shipping is on the pricier side ($15) but still a really good price. They also have a few more brands than chloe beauty in terms of lower end, beauty supply stylers. https://www.beautifulblackhair.ca/

moss
March 26th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Ah, that's great to know! I didn't see any at the Shoppers by my place, but I'll have to check out Winners then. :) Thanks for the tip!

Yep, you're right! Winners buys from the company I work for as well, and occasionally we do sell them old clearout product, but usually it's just regular stock orders from them. No cheap versions of anything or defective items, just regular old product. :)

good to know, thanks for giving your input!! :)

Aredhel
April 8th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Anyone in Canada know any online retailers that sell ketylos who ship internationally? :) Says on their website that there are such sellers, but none are listed.

Robot Ninja
April 9th, 2017, 06:23 PM
I was in Canadian Tire the other day and they had Vo5 shampoo and conditioner. They only had one kind of conditioner, the other two were sold out, but I checked the ingredients and it was cone-free.

Aredhel
April 15th, 2017, 09:55 AM
My sister got me a few Maxis from the Hefter Collection/Luxe Hair Accessories in Yorkville Village a few days ago in Toronto, and apparently they pretty much have every currently available Ficcare in stock. I only asked her about the large Maxis since they're the only size I wear, but they seem to range from $80- $110 (before taxes) depending on the style obviously. I think the lotus are the most expensive.

She sent me this photo of their display...
http://i66.tinypic.com/2ng66c6.jpg

These are just the ones she thought I'd like :)
http://i67.tinypic.com/2mc8rci.jpg

likelikepenny
April 15th, 2017, 10:42 AM
That blue jean ficcare :inlove::wail:

Aredhel
April 15th, 2017, 10:46 AM
I know right! I wanted her to buy them all for me but alas, I'm not made of money. :cry: :p

Chromis
April 15th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Wowowow! That is a better Ficcare selection than I have ever seen in any Nordstroms! That silky grey! *swoon*

Aredhel
April 15th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Same here! The prices seem to be basically the same too...although Nordstrom might actually sell their lotus's for a little bit cheaper I think, when they have them. Definitely will be making a trip up to Toronto myself sometime though to visit this cute little shop. :D

Shorty89
June 28th, 2017, 07:56 PM
So, I'm still on a bit of a hunt for cone-free Canadian conditioners. I'm fairly happy using Down Under Nude's Blueberry Splash (Weightless shine), it's not as nice as the Raspberry one was. So far I've tried Treseme Perfectly Undone (felt great the first day, dry the second), and a couple of Vo5s that I managed to find at the dollar store. Any other ideas of what to try or where to hunt? (I'm in Western Canada).

Robot Ninja
June 28th, 2017, 08:10 PM
So, I'm still on a bit of a hunt for cone-free Canadian conditioners. I'm fairly happy using Down Under Nude's Blueberry Splash (Weightless shine), it's not as nice as the Raspberry one was. So far I've tried Treseme Perfectly Undone (felt great the first day, dry the second), and a couple of Vo5s that I managed to find at the dollar store. Any other ideas of what to try or where to hunt? (I'm in Western Canada).

Tresemme Botanique is the only other cheap-ish one I can think of, although only one of the conditioners in the line is cone-free. If you don't mind something less cheap, I think Live Clean conditioners are cone-free, and L'Oreal's Everpure line has a few. If you have a Sally's nearby, they carry a few Shea Moisture conditioners. But for cheap options, we really don't seem to have a lot.

Shorty89
June 28th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Tresemme Botanique is the only other cheap-ish one I can think of, although only one of the conditioners in the line is cone-free. If you don't mind something less cheap, I think Live Clean conditioners are cone-free, and L'Oreal's Everpure line has a few. If you have a Sally's nearby, they carry a few Shea Moisture conditioners. But for cheap options, we really don't seem to have a lot.

I don't know if I want to buy another Treseme. I tried one Live Clean a few years back, and it was okay but not great. I haven't tried Shea products, but it might be worth it one time. I wish all those lovely cheap VO5 and Suave conditioners were found here.

Chromis
June 29th, 2017, 07:26 AM
I generally have the best luck at hippie grocery stores. (I don't normally use conditioner with my shampoo bars, but I do when I do a henna/cassia/etc treatment). I have been using J/A/S/O/N for the past couple of years and my hair is crazy soft afterwards. Other brands to watch for: Aveda, Aubrey Organics, Oyon, Desert Essence, Abba, Giovanni (I used to really like their Triple Tea Tree stuff back when I used Shampoo/conditioner), and Nature's Gate. None of those are Canadian products, but I have seen them *in* Canada.

For a Canadian product with no silicones: http://boutique.greenbeaver.com/products/hair-care It looks like there are lots of stores carrying it near you! I have not personally tried the conditioner, but I have liked several of their other products.

willowkisses
June 29th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Hello!

I've heard good things about IHERB.com for natural holistic things including hair care and its really great for canadians in small towns without a fiddleheads or other healthfoods sort of store, so i'd look there if your really not finding anything locally concerning herbs/oils/butters and all that good stuff!

:)

Shorty89
June 29th, 2017, 09:16 AM
I generally have the best luck at hippie grocery stores. (I don't normally use conditioner with my shampoo bars, but I do when I do a henna/cassia/etc treatment). I have been using J/A/S/O/N for the past couple of years and my hair is crazy soft afterwards. Other brands to watch for: Aveda, Aubrey Organics, Oyon, Desert Essence, Abba, Giovanni (I used to really like their Triple Tea Tree stuff back when I used Shampoo/conditioner), and Nature's Gate. None of those are Canadian products, but I have seen them *in* Canada.

For a Canadian product with no silicones: http://boutique.greenbeaver.com/products/hair-care It looks like there are lots of stores carrying it near you! I have not personally tried the conditioner, but I have liked several of their other products.

Thanks for the resources. I've hestitated to buy Desert Essences etc because they are pricey and I'd hate to waste money on it if my hair hates 'em. But, I'll look into that Green Beaver stuff. I find that my hair likes more natural conditioners.

Hello!

I've heard good things about IHERB.com for natural holistic things including hair care and its really great for canadians in small towns without a fiddleheads or other healthfoods sort of store, so i'd look there if your really not finding anything locally concerning herbs/oils/butters and all that good stuff!

:)

Interesting. I use a "normal" conditioner, but it'd be worth checking out. I'm in a city, but sometimes it's a pain finding the time to hunt down things.

likelikepenny
June 29th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the wetline xtreme gel? I checked amazon but the custom fees are insane.

Shorty89
June 29th, 2017, 01:25 PM
I've never heard of that brand. Have you looked at Sally's? Or maybe Target online? (They seem to ship to Canada)

likelikepenny
June 29th, 2017, 08:15 PM
I've never heard of that brand. Have you looked at Sally's? Or maybe Target online? (They seem to ship to Canada)

I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Aredhel
June 29th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Anyone know where in Canada (GTA even) I can get Chagrin Valley shampoo bars? Trying to shop around for products for DH.:)

Shorty89
June 29th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Anyone know where in Canada (GTA even) I can get Chagrin Valley shampoo bars? Trying to shop around for products for DH.:)

I've never seen them anywhere but online. :shrug: Maybe at a health food type store?

Chromis
June 30th, 2017, 09:33 AM

You can't. They are sold on their website or their local farmer's market booth in Ohio.

I have seen other shampoo bars in hippy healthfood stores, but that is pretty variable! Bulk Bar carries a shampoo bar which my husband likes. (Doesn't work as well for me, but maybe you will like it too, it is super cheap.)

Aredhel
June 30th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Ah well that's a shame, I've heard wonderful things about CV... shipping to Canada is so darn expensive though.:no:

Shorty89
July 9th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Ah well that's a shame, I've heard wonderful things about CV... shipping to Canada is so darn expensive though.:no:

I think "shipping to Canada is too expensive" is the story of my life. :P

Shorty89
August 17th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Looks like I'm resurrecting the three again haha. I have seen a lot of Down Under Natural's green bottles in the Dollarama lately. I'm guessing that they aren't producing that one anyone? Hopefully it's just that one and not the ones I use.

Shorty89
September 11th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Me again....I feel like I'm the only one posting here,but I'm having trouble getting Down Under Nude's Blueberry conditioner. Does anyone know I'd it's discontinued or not?

Aredhel
September 11th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Me again....I feel like I'm the only one posting here,but I'm having trouble getting Down Under Nude's Blueberry conditioner. Does anyone know I'd it's discontinued or not?

I dunno, but I seem to be able to find it on Walmart.ca and it's in stock online too! https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/down-under-naturals-nude-weightless-shine-blueberry-splash-conditioner/6000195953208 - is this the one? Not sure if it ships to Alberta, but it's available to my location in Mississauga.

Side note - if anyone lives in Mississauga there's a Chatters in Square One now... came across it randomly the other weekend and was extremely/pleasantly surprised! Mentioning it because I normally order a lot of my hair products from Chatters.ca... I think they're based in Alberta but just opened up their first salon in Ontario. :)

Shorty89
September 11th, 2017, 10:30 PM
I dunno, but I seem to be able to find it on Walmart.ca and it's in stock online too! https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/down-under-naturals-nude-weightless-shine-blueberry-splash-conditioner/6000195953208 - is this the one? Not sure if it ships to Alberta, but it's available to my location in Mississauga.

Side note - if anyone lives in Mississauga there's a Chatters in Square One now... came across it randomly the other weekend and was extremely/pleasantly surprised! Mentioning it because I normally order a lot of my hair products from Chatters.ca... I think they're based in Alberta but just opened up their first salon in Ontario. :)

I just looked that up. I'm going to check at a different Walmart soon, and if not, I'm stocking up just in case haha.

I've seen Chatters a lot here. Do they have anything cone-free?

Aredhel
September 12th, 2017, 06:19 AM
I just looked that up. I'm going to check at a different Walmart soon, and if not, I'm stocking up just in case haha.

I've seen Chatters a lot here. Do they have anything cone-free?

I was gonna recommend stocking up too haha since Walmart seems to be the only place that carries it at the moment... weird!

I believe they do indeed carry some cone-free brands - I get one of my conditioners (Matrix Biolage HydraSource) from Chatters and it's cone-free! :) I've also seen DevaCurl stocked there and I'm fairly certain they are also cone-free.

rmani
September 12th, 2017, 08:41 AM

There used to be a Chatters in Hartland too - not sure if it's still there.

Shorty89
October 23rd, 2017, 01:45 PM
Ugh, I got my Halloween flexi and got smacked with a duty and the $9.95 handling fee. That's never happened to me before. Does anyone know if any rules have changed? Or has Lila Rose changed their shipping company? (Flexi is beautiful nonetheless).

rmani
October 23rd, 2017, 04:05 PM
I thought it depended on how they declare it. Most sellers on Etsy declare their items at $20 which must be around the limit for not paying duty.

Shorty89
October 23rd, 2017, 06:15 PM
LR doesn't use Etsy. But I've ordered from them before (over $20) and never had a problem.

rmani
October 23rd, 2017, 06:22 PM
LR doesn't use Etsy. But I've ordered from them before (over $20) and never had a problem. Yes - I knew they don't use Etsy but was using this an example. All items I've ordered are way over $20 however this is the common amount specified as the cost on the declaration from sellers.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dtytx-drttx-eng.html Looks like if its over $20, the Canadian government expects us to pay duty/taxes.

Shorty89
October 23rd, 2017, 10:26 PM
Hm, so I just lucked out before?

rmani
October 24th, 2017, 03:38 AM
Looks like it. Maybe shipping differs among LR reps?

I had the same experience as you - I ordered 2 flexi-8's a little over a year ago and didn't have to pay duty/taxes.

Nique1202
October 24th, 2017, 05:21 AM

Yep, some of the agents, either through ignorance or laziness, don't enforce the rules as strictly as they're written. So sometimes you'll get no duty and sometimes you'll get the full force of it, on identical packages.

Chromis
October 24th, 2017, 06:44 AM

Yep! We call it customs roulette. With certain carriers you will always get the customs fee like UPS or FedEx plus a giant handling charge (you can theoretically refuse the package at doorstep and then go to the depot at the airport to self-clear except the is no transit to ours and they have very limited hours). CanadaPost meanwhile is cheaper to start with and often doesn't collect the fees.

There are also certain things they are not supposed to tax under trade agreements. There is also a gift exemption for values up to $60, which would not legally apply to a business. Sometimes places with mark things as a gift, but it would not be ethical to *ask* them to if that makes sense since it is against the law for them to do this (ditto for asking places to mark things lower). I say this mostly as an FYI, not that I think you are doing shady things! They might have marked previous shipments as a gift. Under NAFTA, we are not supposed to have to pay customs on goods that were entirely manufactured in the US or Mexico, but they need a "NAFTA Certificate of Origin” form which I have never, ever seen used in any packet I have received. I know there is a list of what qualifies somewhere, but I am not having any luck finding it which really irks me.

Here's how to self clear: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/how-to-avoid-extra-fees-for-international-delivery-services-1.3280694

Canada's customs threshold is one of the lowest in the world and among the lowest of industrialized nations. (US is $800 USD and Mexico is $300 by comparison) and it actually costs us more money to collect all these fees than they generate in revenue. It costs the federal government close to $170-million to collect roughly $40-million in duties and taxes (including provincial taxes).

Shorty89
October 24th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Looks like it. Maybe shipping differs among LR reps?

I had the same experience as you - I ordered 2 flexi-8's a little over a year ago and didn't have to pay duty/taxes.

Maybe. I've always just ordered through their site, not through a rep. What about you?

ETA: Thanks for the info Chromis! I've never gotten that sticker, and also never gotten fees. I guess it was my turn. And lol about it costing us more money to collect fees. That sounds like Canada somehow. :P

rmani
October 24th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Chromis - thanks for all that info! I didn't know that!

Shorty89 - I also ordered through the website but I think I may have ordered accidentally through a rep page because I keep getting emails a year later for a LR rep I've never met :(

school of fish
January 7th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Reviving this thread to find out where my fellow Canadians get their amla powder. I'm hoping to be able to source in a local shop but online resources are in the running as well :) Thank you muchly!

divinedobbie
January 30th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already but where do you guys get pure aloe Vera here? I can only find the suncare gels which have alcohol and other additives. Or I've seen a huge 4 L jug of the pure Aloe Vera at Wal-Mart but id like to just try a little bottle. Thanks in advance

divinedobbie
January 30th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Reviving this thread to find out where my fellow Canadians get their amla powder. I'm hoping to be able to source in a local shop but online resources are in the running as well :) Thank you muchly!

I've bought herbs from the henna sooq Canada store before. But I also just saw some Amla powder in our local Wal-Mart (shocked me!). It was in the ethnic section of hair products. I didn't pick it up or read ingredients though.

Shorty89
January 30th, 2018, 04:57 PM

I've seen it in lots of Indian grocery store. There are lots in my area of the city. I have no idea about online places.

dancingfrog
January 30th, 2018, 05:05 PM
I have President’s Choice aloe vera gel. It’s clear and in a pump bottle. Works for me!

Chromis
January 30th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already but where do you guys get pure aloe Vera here? I can only find the suncare gels which have alcohol and other additives. Or I've seen a huge 4 L jug of the pure Aloe Vera at Wal-Mart but id like to just try a little bottle. Thanks in advance

If you are looking for pure aloe, look in hippie health food stores in the fridge.

school of fish
February 1st, 2018, 09:53 PM
I've bought herbs from the henna sooq Canada store before. But I also just saw some Amla powder in our local Wal-Mart (shocked me!). It was in the ethnic section of hair products. I didn't pick it up or read ingredients though.

Really?! I would never have thought to look to Walmart as a source... I have a couple of Middle Eastern & South East Asian markets to check out still, but good to know another avenue to check out, thank you!

school of fish
February 1st, 2018, 09:56 PM
I've seen it in lots of Indian grocery store. There are lots in my area of the city. I have no idea about online places.

Thank you! I'll be checking out my locals - never noticed any before but then again amla wasn't something I was specifically looking for before.

divinedobbie
February 1st, 2018, 09:59 PM
Really?! I would never have thought to look to Walmart as a source... I have a couple of Middle Eastern & South East Asian markets to check out still, but good to know another avenue to check out, thank you!

Me too. It was a completely accidental find and they had henna too but from what I remember it was toughted as more of a gloss so probably a bit of henna with other stuff so I'd watch ingredients carefully. It was a fun find while on my pesky hunt for the aloe Vera. It was only available at the one Wal-Mart I went to so you might have to look around a few of them or maybe they have it online with that free ship to store option. Unfortunately I live in too small of a city to have the cultural variation of eastern and Asian markets so I have to make do :)

school of fish
February 2nd, 2018, 06:15 AM
Makes sense about the looking around - I moved relatively recently from Toronto where I could find anything under the sun very easily to a mid-sized city where everything is here but requires more digging to find. I've had to shift my habits a little and I'm still working at finding my go-tos ;) Thank you again! :D

Shorty89
April 12th, 2018, 11:25 PM
I was at Walmart today and noticed that they now carry the Shea Moisture line! I didn't buy any, but I thought I'd pass it on. I haven't seen them in Canada before.

divinedobbie
April 13th, 2018, 06:05 AM
I was at Walmart today and noticed that they now carry the Shea Moisture line! I didn't buy any, but I thought I'd pass it on. I haven't seen them in Canada before.

I noticed this too and got very excited since I hear so much and I'd actually never seen it sold it any store here. I bought a bottle of the manuka honey conditioner and was very disappointed with it... I think I ended up using it as shaving cream or something

Shorty89
April 22nd, 2018, 08:04 PM
I'm needing a new comb guys. I've been using a second hand horn comb, but it's now snagging my hair (I think the comb has a few chips out of it). I'm not sure if I want another horn comb, or if I'll go with wood. The problem is that I don't want to spend a lot on it ($10-15). Any suggestions for in-person stores or reasonably priced online ones (especially the shipping!)

divinedobbie
April 22nd, 2018, 09:11 PM
I'm needing a new comb guys. I've been using a second hand horn comb, but it's now snagging my hair (I think the comb has a few chips out of it). I'm not sure if I want another horn comb, or if I'll go with wood. The problem is that I don't want to spend a lot on it ($10-15). Any suggestions for in-person stores or reasonably priced online ones (especially the shipping!)

I was going to suggest Hair Sense. I have two of their combs from 4 or 5 years ago and I absolutely love them. But while the combs are not all that expensive $10-13, the international shipping is outrageous ($13). It must have been much cheaper when I bought them because I know I would have never paid so much for shipping. Have you tried Amazon?
The only store I can think of is The Body Shop. They have some wooden combs and brushes that are quite cheap (actually I think their comb is on sale right now for $2) but I'm not sure about the quality. If you live in an area with one it might be worthwhile to check it out.

prairie lark
April 22nd, 2018, 11:15 PM

SallyBeauty (https://www.sallybeauty.com/krest-7-inch-tooth-vent-comb/SBS-143600.html?list=Home%7CShop_Brands%7CANTONO%7CKRE ST#start=1)

Eternally in Amber combs are beautiful but I don't know how crazy $$ S&H got since the good old days of 4 dollars for an etsy order:(. The last time I looked at Body Shop's wood combs they were rough and ragged. Our Walmart used to have a great natural hair section and sold nice seamless , anti-static resin combs but they took that section out last year. Can't figure what the reasoning could have been; maybe yours still has that.

Shorty89
April 22nd, 2018, 11:19 PM
SallyBeauty (https://www.sallybeauty.com/krest-7-inch-tooth-vent-comb/SBS-143600.html?list=Home%7CShop_Brands%7CANTONO%7CKRE ST#start=1)

Eternally in Amber combs are beautiful but I don't know how crazy $$ S&H got since the good old days of 4 dollars for an etsy order:(. The last time I looked at Body Shop's wood combs they were rough and ragged. Our Walmart used to have a great natural hair section and sold nice seamless , anti-static resin combs but they took that section out last year. Can't figure what the reasoning could have been; maybe yours still has that.

Etsy is often really expensive for shipping. :( I find it's as "cheap" as $10, which sucks.

Chromis
April 23rd, 2018, 05:40 AM
I sadly have all but given up on Etsy and look for things on E-Bay instead.

Shorty89
April 24th, 2018, 09:06 PM
I sadly have all but given up on Etsy and look for things on E-Bay instead.

But, Etsy has pretty things. :P I did try Body Shop today and the combs were really rough. I'm thinking about this comb from Quecraft. THe colours
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/598940487/horn-hair-comb-q13192?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=quecraft&ref=sc_gallery-2-2&plkey=4f8940e9d066b7c8ad7ff5532312660f820900b6:598 940487

Chromis
April 25th, 2018, 06:03 AM
Quecraft is one of the few that has not inflated their shipping by a crazy margin. I do like their thicker hairsticks, have not tried the combs. Many of the other Etsy vendors I now just wait patiently on the swap board for.

They started on E-Bay though, so I can also find them there: https://www.ebay.ca/usr/quecraft?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Your comb listing: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Horn-Hair-Comb-Q13192/123008531355?hash=item1ca3e13b9b:g:NY8AAOSwAwFaoPz q

Shorty89
April 25th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Quecraft is one of the few that has not inflated their shipping by a crazy margin. I do like their thicker hairsticks, have not tried the combs. Many of the other Etsy vendors I now just wait patiently on the swap board for.

They started on E-Bay though, so I can also find them there: https://www.ebay.ca/usr/quecraft?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Your comb listing: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Horn-Hair-Comb-Q13192/123008531355?hash=item1ca3e13b9b:g:NY8AAOSwAwFaoPz q

Good to know!

Shorty89
August 14th, 2018, 09:10 PM
I found some Suave Essentials (formerly Suave Naturals) at Dollarama today. :) All were cone free. I'm not sure how widespread they are, but it might be worth checking out.

Natashap
August 14th, 2018, 11:35 PM
I found some Suave Essentials (formerly Suave Naturals) at Dollarama today. :) All were cone free. I'm not sure how widespread they are, but it might be worth checking out.

I hate their products quality and consistency .

I have tried few and gave up(nothing against the brand)....

I never saw them at Dollarama ...before I return to states in few days.

SUAVE is very liked brand in where I live in USA.

As its cheap and good for most ppl.

Shorty89
August 16th, 2018, 12:20 PM
I hate their products quality and consistency .

I have tried few and gave up(nothing against the brand)....

I never saw them at Dollarama ...before I return to states in few days.

SUAVE is very liked brand in where I live in USA.

As its cheap and good for most ppl.

I used the Strawberry one and didn't mind it. It's not as good as my usual but it work decently. I will definitely at least use them in SMTs and henna. It's too bad that they don't work for you.

Shorty89
February 22nd, 2019, 09:48 AM
Guys, I may need conditioner recommendations. My Blueberry splash conditioner from Down Under Naturals is being discontinued. I've tried other products from that same company and they're not nearly as good as the blueberry one for me. Here's the ingredients.

https://i5.walmartimages.ca/images/Enlarge/386/533/6000198386533.jpg