PDA

View Full Version : does hair growth depend on season?

yellowflower
February 24th, 2011, 10:10 AM
So I am growing out my hair dye as some of you know, but i just measured the re-growth, and at the front it has only grown 3/4 of an inch in 11 weeks, thats nearly 3months!!!!

I've been taking lots of vitamins, biotin and hair growth etc, I am starting to think they have hampered my growth or something or is it due to it being winter and hair doesnt grow much in winter?

If this is my actual growth in means I will only grow out 3" of dye a year as its averaging 1/4" inch a month, surely that is well below average? what am i doing wrong? I eat healthy as well. People i know who dont eat as healthily, smoke etc have better growth than me, whats going on???

skyblue
February 24th, 2011, 10:14 AM
everybody is different, winter does slow growth, at least I notice that with me, how are your ends, do you need a trim?? May be a little micro trim can give ya a little kick start

yellowflower
February 24th, 2011, 10:21 AM
everybody is different, winter does slow growth, at least I notice that with me, how are your ends, do you need a trim?? May be a little micro trim can give ya a little kick start

My ends are terrible due to over processing so bad hence why my only option is to grow colour out, I thought cutting didnt influence growth? Is it possible that too much chemical damage over Nov/Dec could have slowed growth?

RancheroTheBee
February 24th, 2011, 10:28 AM
My ends are terrible due to over processing so bad hence why my only option is to grow colour out, I thought cutting didnt influence growth? Is it possible that too much chemical damage over Nov/Dec could have slowed growth?

Normally, I would suggest that your hair is breaking off at the ends, but you're measuring from the roots, so your measurements are probably pretty accurate. At lot of people here have noticed slower growth rates during certain months; I grow quickly from July to September, and back to a slow crawl the rest of the year. You might also be experiencing a stall, which is seldom something to concern yourself with. If the rest of your body feels fine, I would just chock it up to a stall.

Chamy
My hair almost stops growing in the winterseason, and then it speeds up when spring comes along. I dont think it is anything to worry about, i get a lot more than average growth in a whole year. My hair needs sunlight/warmth/humidity to grow properly, and here in Sweden that is just not offered in the wintertime. :)
Wait with the worries until you have observed your hair through the seasons(depending on where you live of course) and figured out how it grows.

pepperminttea
Your ends won't affect growth, but the damage is as extreme as you said, the ends could be breaking off, so despite your roots growing, you wouldn't be gaining much noticeable length.

Seasons can influence growth for different people, but then again some people do just get 3" of growth a year. It is below average, but it does happen. From the sounds of it though, it is the previous damage, so it will eventually grow out. :flower:

ETA: Do you have a clear line of demarcation from the dye, could you just measure the new growth? Also, some hair at the front of my hairline has a much shorter terminal length and growth speed; wispy baby hairs that never get beyond chin, if that. I don't suppose you could be measuring those?

yellowflower
February 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Your ends won't affect growth, but the damage is as extreme as you said, the ends could be breaking off, so despite your roots growing, you wouldn't be gaining much noticeable length.

Seasons can influence growth for different people, but then again some people do just get 3" of growth a year. It is below average, but it does happen. From the sounds of it though, it is the previous damage, so it will eventually grow out. :flower:

ETA: Do you have a clear line of demarcation from the dye, could you just measure the new growth? Also, some hair at the front of my hairline has a much shorter terminal length and growth speed; wispy baby hairs that never get beyond chin, if that. I don't suppose you could be measuring those?

I am measuring the very clear deomocration line, and its only 3/4" its so depressing, I hate teh colour and cant wait for it to grow out so to only get 3" in a year would be so annoying, I know the back is growing really fast where it and 1.5" 1.75" i know as i have pulled the hairs out from the root and measured.

I am not worried about getting length, I just want the dye to hurry and grow out... Yep I just pulled another 2 hairs out and its only grown 3/4" at the front in 11weeks.

Ais
February 24th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I always find my hair grows much faster in summer - I spend a month on the continent every summer, and my hair grows more during that month than the 3 months of November, December and January. I'm not sure what exactly causes it, be it the sun or the heat or just my body's own cycle, but it seems pretty consistent - the same pattern since I was about 7!

yellowflower
February 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM
3" a year is rubbish, i would have thought all the vitamins im taking would have made a difference, clearly not.

Rocket22
February 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Well I also am growing out dye and I think the dye part (or top of my head) grows slower because I'm showing some great progress in my length in the back, but my roots are not that long? go figure? just take photos and keep track and don't worry about what the roots are doing.. that is my advice anyways from someone who is right where you are :)

eta: oops sorry didn't realize you are not worried about growth and have that. I don't know why dye part is not growing as fast mine isn't either? but maybe canopy grows slower?

CaityBear
February 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM
My ends are terrible due to over processing so bad hence why my only option is to grow colour out, I thought cutting didnt influence growth?...

It's all about how much your hair is breaking off versus how fast your hair is growing. Which means I think I should trim my hair again. lol I can measure and have no change but I henna so I can tell with my roots that my hair is, in fact, growing.

And I sure how seasons affect my hair growth now! I used to grow an easy inch every month when my hair was shorter, then I hit about waist and hit an 8 month stall and it's never been the same. All winter my hair has barely grown. :( I'm almost giving up my goal of knee length hair. :( So I'm certainly hoping that come spring the season will make my hair speed up.