PDA

View Full Version : Favorite toys for layered/slippy hair?

smrider
February 23rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Because I got 'em both ;)! My hair is just a couple inches past BSL with layers up to just past APL and I am trying to pick out some new hair toys. I have a couple Flexi-8's (that I LOVE) and spin pins but thats about it. I like the Ketylos hair sticks but am not sure how versatile those would be with layered hair at this length that easily slips out of buns unless it is heavily pinned or twisted tight. Maybe Ficcare? I haven't tried those and am a little overwhelmed by all the different types on their site.

Any recommendations? What hair toy did you grab the most at BSL/MBL?

abbatabba1137
February 23rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
I dont have layers (unless you count growing out my bangs), so hair sticks work well for me. I do have a few suggestions though!

Have to ever seen a bun cage or metal snood? They hold amazingly well and work great with layers.
They can be fairly easy to make if you have the materials or you could just check etsy.com.

Another option is something I just saw on another thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66167
It seems like it would hold stray hairs pretty well, especially if you used two!

sunnyhope
February 23rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
i am also very interested to get advice about this as i have the exact same problem:p

ole gray mare
February 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Ficcares saved me at that length!

As far as sticks or forks go, I could only wear wood at that length. Even now, I mostly wear wood. I can now wear acrylics because my hair is long enough to use effectively as part of the tension.

But ficcares pretty much rocked my world for a very long time. I could also use good days hair pins, even though they're plastic, to assist.

ETA: I loved the maximas and the ficcarrisimos. I never had a beak, but I hear they're great too.

RocketDog
February 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
By a bit past APL I was just getting acquainted with my first ficcare maximas... and I'm telling you, they hold like a ROCK for me, layers and frizzy poof and all! I don't have much 'slippiness' but my hair still likes to escape its confines and stick out in any and all directions. A plain-jane cinnabun was a bit tricky at first but once you find the 'sweet spot' for the clip it holds beautifully. I have this other half peacock-twist, half lazy wrap bun that worked well at that length, too...

AgnesONutter
February 24th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Definitely try a ficcare. I love mine, except that I think I need to either cut my hair or upgrade to a large one because it does not hold as it used to any longer.

CAPA7
February 24th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I would agree with most replies and suggest a Ficcare. The price made me reluctant to try one at first but I eventually went for a Medium Maxima clip, and I highly recommend them. They take a bit of getting used to ("finding the sweet spot", like someone said earlier), but once you get the hang of them they will hold your hair really well.
For hair sticks, I find I also need hair pins to help me hold the layers in.

detritus
February 26th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I have the same problem--well, my hair is a little shorter, but equally layered. I can just now do a peacock twist. Are Ficcares a good clip for that? I'm hesitant to spend so much if I don't know exactly what size I need. A small Flexi-8 is perfect for holding a ponytail. Would you recommend a small or medium Ficcare? Is the Maxima generally the shape most people like?