PDA

View Full Version : S&D tapered ends

knoxkatie
February 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
hello all! i'm pretty new to LHC, though i've been reading it for a few months now. this is my first post ever. i posted it earlier, but i can't find it now so i think i did something wrong :confused:

anyway, here is my question. when you are doing an s&d, do you trim the tapered ends on new hairs? since my hair is still pretty short (apl) and i trim regularly, i don't have many splits. i wonder whether i should snip these new tapers though because they seem like they would be prone to damage since they are so thin. thank you!

Madora
February 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
I snip my tapers because as you mentioned, they are thinner. The tapered ends are more fragile and thus more susceptible to breakage..so I get rid of them..with a sharp pair of scissors.

knoxkatie
February 23rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
thank you madora! i always wondered if i was weird for doing this :)

ScarlettAdelle
February 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
I don't, but only because I have about three different textures and I'd end up cutting my super fine hairs thinking they were tapers.

Oh, and WELCOME TO LHC!!! Even though you've lurked for a spell... :)

knoxkatie
February 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
thank you ScarlettAdelle. i finally overcame my shyness :)

krissykins
February 23rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Yes, welcome to LHC :D

I don't do it because I'm planning on letting my hair grow fairytale ends, but there are plenty of members who do because those hairs are weak and may lead to breakage.

enfys
February 23rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
I don't cut tapered hairs; if they are new and tapered then they have none of the cortex revealed. I would think it is less likely to split.

My S&D is basically just for splits and fairy knots.

knoxkatie
February 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
that's an interesting theory, enfys. i hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.