PDA

View Full Version : Less Washing = Worse For Hair = Hair Loss

Aerith
February 23rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hey LHC!

I've been trying to stretch out my hair washes more and more all winter. I figured winter was a good place to start because walking around with wet hair is cold and if I tried it during the summer months, I'm sure sweating more would make me give in to washing as often as I usually do.

However, I noticed when my hair gets oily enough, I start losing hair like crazy! It also seems more tangly overall. Every swipe of the comb I get about 10-20 stray hairs. When I wash 2-3 times a week I don't have this issue as bad. I'm trying out once per week at the moment.

Maybe some hair types/scalps can't tolerate no washing for a certain amount of time? Maybe some of us can only stretch washings so much? Could stretching out washes be worse for hair and scalp? What do you all think? It could be related to shed hairs being caught in my pony tail and not being able to fall out completely until I wash it as well.

Thanks for reading. :flower:

nazzooyzo
February 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
i've been washing my hair less lately too and seem to be losing more strands. maybe there is a link...

ladylovecraft
February 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
IMO, it's not that you wash less, it might be that you wear it up/in a pony all day and then when you take it down to wash, all the hair that would have fallen out during the day but didn't, comes out.

I experience a LOT less shedding washing infrequently, but it seems like a lot more when I wear my hair up and then brush it... holy (imagined) shedding, batman!

Not saying it's impossible, just my opinion. : )

SurprisingWoman
February 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
The longer my hair gets the more it seems to like to be washed. I used to go five or six days but I have noticed lately it prefers four days or even three between washes.

It also doesn't make a difference if I use leave in conditioners so I don't bother.

free_hug
February 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
I've been thinking a lot about this, too.

It's either
1) you (or i, for one) really lose more strands when washed less often. or
2) you stretch the washing, and maybe the brushing/combing too, while the shedding pace remains the same. so when you finally do brush/wash, a larger amount of already shed hairs remain on the brush, or in the bathtub.

I could never really decide. But I rather don't stretch the washes... just in case.

milagro
February 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
I think you shouldn't panic before you count your all sheds and make some statistic comparison :)
It's possible that as you wash less often those loose hairs that would come out while washing just shed in between. Like sweeping a say table - if you do it daily it seems there's no dust at all, if monthly it's everywhere :D
ETA Heh there's a whole chorus of us :D

shawty
February 23rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
2) you stretch the washing, and maybe the brushing/combing too, while the shedding pace remains the same. so when you finally do brush/wash, a larger amount of already shed hairs remain on the brush, or in the bathtub.

That seems extremely likely to me. That was my first thought upon reading the thread.

Luna12345
February 23rd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hey LHC!

I've been trying to stretch out my hair washes more and more all winter. I figured winter was a good place to start because walking around with wet hair is cold and if I tried it during the summer months, I'm sure sweating more would make me give in to washing as often as I usually do.

However, I noticed when my hair gets oily enough, I start losing hair like crazy! It also seems more tangly overall. Every swipe of the comb I get about 10-20 stray hairs. When I wash 2-3 times a week I don't have this issue as bad. I'm trying out once per week at the moment.

Maybe some hair types/scalps can't tolerate no washing for a certain amount of time? Maybe some of us can only stretch washings so much? Could stretching out washes be worse for hair and scalp? What do you all think? It could be related to shed hairs being caught in my pony tail and not being able to fall out completely until I wash it as well.

My hair is even worse than yours, I need to wash it every other day....It just becomes weird looking on the 3rd day and depending on the weather it may look stiff or dry and sometimes flat and greasy. I sometimes try to wash just twice a week but it never works well because that would mean I'd have 2 good hair days and 5 bad hair days during the week which is not something I can tolerate.

Cleopatra18
February 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
I used to stretch washes thinking it's the best for my hair.But recently I have been washing every other day and my hair has been feeling great.For me the washing is restoring moisture to my hair and also I detangle everytime so my hair doesnt become a matted mess.
normally my hair forms dreads and becomes very hard to detangle if i leave it for 1-2 days without combing,which equals alot of breakage and hair loss.

Luna12345
February 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
I was washing my hair every day during summer, but would only use shampoo every other day and when I went to the hair salon....the hair dresser was amazed, he colored my hair, brushed it and blow dried it and he said "Look at the brush, not one hair sheds!".....
I remember in the past when I washed my hair less frequently it was always shedding whenever I washed it or brushed it.
Everyones hair is diffirent I guess

Capybara
February 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Maybe your hair still hasn't gotten used to it. I shed a lot more when I first started stretching washes, but after a few months it all evened out.

I hope you find a solution!

Nastasia
February 23rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
I'm with the posters who say that you're still probably shedding at the same rate but removing the shed hair less often, so it seems like you're shedding more. That definitely happened to me when I first started stretching washes. Not so much anymore, because I've taken to preening and massaging my scalp the night before I wash, and the shed hair mostly comes out then.

Anywhere
February 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
For some people maybe less washing does equal more shedding. For me however, If I wash more often my scalp dries out more and gets grumpy and sheds more hair for me though, so I do tend to was less. Heck, I even have to put oil onto my scalp to calm my shedding.

That being said, every head of hair is different. :shrug:

Organic
February 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Surprising woman..I agree....OMG what beautiful hair...I am so jealous. mine has an inch and a half of silver growth. I have a lONG way to go to get to your hair look...I will do it though.

BrightEyes7
February 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
I think every head of hair is different. While washing only once a week can be great for some, it can wreck havok on others' hair. I personally wash 2-3 times a week (2 right now since it's winter). If I try any less my scalp gets itchy and too oily!

So it may be the cause of your extra shedding... it also could have to do with the fact it's winter. Try washing more often and see if your problem clears up.

Loreley
February 23rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
I've recently started washing my hair twice a week instead of every other day. I shed a lot when I wash my hair, I guess it's about 40-50 strands. When combing I don't shed too much. Before I started washing twice a week I didn't shed more than about 15 strands.

Angeletti
February 23rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
I wash once a week and haven't noticed an increase in shedding, but everyone is different so maybe it just affects you in that way. My hair has really benefited from stretching washes.

Aerith
February 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Thank you everybody for responding! :puppy:

My hair is even worse than yours, I need to wash it every other day....It just becomes weird looking on the 3rd day and depending on the weather it may look stiff or dry and sometimes flat and greasy. I sometimes try to wash just twice a week but it never works well because that would mean I'd have 2 good hair days and 5 bad hair days during the week which is not something I can tolerate.

I used to have to wash it every day back in high school or it would look flat and greasy, luckily it's slowing down for me since I started stretching washes and I'm not really in the insanely greasy stage of life anymore. xD

I will say that when I wear my hair down it gets greasy a lot quicker and I definitely couldn't go without washing for more than a few days. I think it's because I'm touching and brushing it a lot more and stimulating the oil glands, also sometimes it rubs up against my face which is also oily (I haaaaate my skin. :mad:)

I think every head of hair is different. While washing only once a week can be great for some, it can wreck havok on others' hair. I personally wash 2-3 times a week (2 right now since it's winter). If I try any less my scalp gets itchy and too oily!

So it may be the cause of your extra shedding... it also could have to do with the fact it's winter. Try washing more often and see if your problem clears up.

I've been having really baaad shedding issues since about late September and you know, before I started trying to stretch out washes to a week again I noticed my hair shedding had seemed to slow down a lot. It not longer looked like a tub monster coming out of the drain at the end of a shower (lol, I know, sorry. Bad visual.)! So it really could be that my scalp just can't tolerate less than 2-3 times a week. I really want to push through the oiliness and see if my scalp can adjust to once per week, but I certainly don't want to put my hair's health in jeopardy.

Got some things to think about. :confused:

summerjade
February 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
When I have tried to stretch out my washings, I have had the same thoughts about shedding. It seems that I shed much more hair when I don't wash as frequently, or it may just be that I would have lost those hairs anyway. My hair likes it best when I wash it every other day. My hair gets dry feeling and wirey if I wash less, and my scalp screams HELP, it gets itchy and my whole head feels horrible, so for me every other day works best.

HintOfMint
February 23rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Many scalps can't tolerate stretched washes. Think about it, our scalps produce sebum, shed dead skin cells (that don't just fall off because our hair traps them), and has bacteria (naturally) teeming all over it. It is PERFECTLY okay to wash this:p

Anje
February 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
My past experience has been that I shed less when my scalp's a bit dirty, such as washing with WO once a week. I know of other WO folks who've gotten similar results.

On the other hand, there are people who shed far worse if they let their scalp get dirty. I think it really varies person-to-person. You need to find what works for you, as always.

knoxkatie
February 23rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
i also wash every other day. maybe once my hair grows out a little more i can go every 3 days, but now it just gets flat and dull.

Lollipop
February 23rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hey LHC!

For me, personally, washing less often is bad for my hair. I currently wash every two days, but I used to stretch it to four. When I washed my hair every four days I began to loose a lot more hair, and it felt a lot thinner when I was handling it. It also exacerbated some mild scalp problems that I have. And while I understan what some ladies are saying about just not noticing shedding, for me it was not true. I handled my hair the same way on wash and non wash days: undo my bun, gently brush through, and re bun. I did this every morning and every night, and between the shower and the brush I lost more hair when I was streching. But that's just me.

You should do whatever feels best :)

virgo75
February 23rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
My scalp doesn't like anything on it - oil or conditioner.

If I go without washing for too many days my scalp starts spitting out my hair. :nono:
It does the same thing if I conditioner wash.

I guess every scalp is different. :shrug:

mellie89
February 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
For me, personally, washing less often is bad for my hair. I currently wash every two days, but I used to stretch it to four. When I washed my hair every four days I began to loose a lot more hair, and it felt a lot thinner when I was handling it. It also exacerbated some mild scalp problems that I have. And while I understan what some ladies are saying about just not noticing shedding, for me it was not true. I handled my hair the same way on wash and non wash days: undo my bun, gently brush through, and re bun. I did this every morning and every night, and between the shower and the brush I lost more hair when I was streching. But that's just me.

You should do whatever feels best :)

My scalp doesn't like anything on it - oil or conditioner.

If I go without washing for too many days my scalp starts spitting out my hair. :nono:
It does the same thing if I conditioner wash.

I guess every scalp is different. :shrug:

Ditto and ditto. My hair definitely sheds more when I stretch washes, or when I CO, or even when I use creamy, moisturizing shampoos. I don't know why this is, to be honest. I shampoo and condition every other day and use clear shampoos, and I don't question it. :o

I really think that stretching washes is a bad idea for some people. I believe that it can legitimately cause more shedding, not just more perceived shedding.

Kathie
February 23rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
I agree, too much oil on my scalp is irritating- be it from stretched out washes, over conditioning, or oils. I can comfortably stretch my washes to every third day. The amount of shedding hasn’t seemed to of changed as days in between washing increased.

Lianna
February 23rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Everyone is different. My hair grows a lot slower if I don't wash with shampoo everyday. I've tried almost all "LHC ways" of washing for almost a year.

Kherome
February 23rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
My guess is that you are just noticing the hairloss more because when you wash you loosen up hairs that were going to fall out anyway. When you stretch the washes, there are more hairs waiting to fall out so it looks like more even though it's probably the same amount, it's just been building for longer.

Hey LHC!

vanillabones
February 23rd, 2011, 05:41 PM
I like to believe that the less you wash is better for your hair, but my hair disagrees. A year or two ago I started stretching watches because I used to have to wash everyday due to greasies. I started using dry shampoos or just accepting the grease on lazy days, and I still do both of these things but my hair doesn't appreciate it and used to love being washed and cleaned and able to be brushed without losing hair. Luckily my hair is now too damaged to wash as often as my hair likes so I'll keep telling myself that spreading washes is good for it, even if I know deep down my hair likes it :( So much for laziness not agreeing with me.

julliams
February 23rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Could it be that when you wash you lose more than you realise? So then it seems like you are losing less on a day to day basis?

ericthegreat
February 23rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Unless you actually start noticing bald spots on your scalp, I really wouldn't worry yet. We all naturally shed hair every single day. I agree with everyone else here, since you've been stretching your washes, all those shed hairs built up on your head on the days you didn't wash, and so when you finally do wash your hair all those shed hairs come out all at once.

If you want, you can start washing your hair more often again, maybe try a week where you wash every two days or even every day. You will most likely see that the amount of hair you lose is much less than you think it is.

Darkhorse1
February 23rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
I just read this in an article not too long ago, and it was stated that if you stretch out washes, your normal shed rate may not be as high as daily washings, so yes, you will notice what appears to be more hair, but infact, it's not.

I have the same thing :) Well, some days. And then, there are days I hardly shed. Who knows? I just went through a shed, so I think I'm set for awhile now :D

sakuraemily
February 23rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
I think you can try WO every other day for the rest of the week till your proper wash day.

Aerith
February 24th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies! You bring up some really good points.

I'll just have to experiment and see what my scalp likes best. I personally feel better when I wash it more often, and I have a feeling I'll end up sticking with that, but I won't give in just yet. :)

curlytiff27
October 22nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
I know this us an old thread, but I was wondering if OP had any luck with going back to every other day shampooing? My hair loss was doing great this week...then this morning I lost a bunch...but....I haven't washed it since Tuesday. I have been combing everyday though. I washed it sunday, then Tuesday and only li
Lost 112...which is great compared to what it was. Then Wednesday it was 50 hairs, Thursday 38!!! Yesterday I did not comb it...but today I did n lost 170!! So I'm thinking I have to wash more often...does that make since?

ktani
October 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
I know this us an old thread, but I was wondering if OP had any luck with going back to every other day shampooing? My hair loss was doing great this week...then this morning I lost a bunch...but....I haven't washed it since Tuesday. I have been combing everyday though. I washed it sunday, then Tuesday and only li
Lost 112...which is great compared to what it was. Then Wednesday it was 50 hairs, Thursday 38!!! Yesterday I did not comb it...but today I did n lost 170!! So I'm thinking I have to wash more often...does that make since?

The average healthy shed is about 100 to 150 hairs a day. If you did not comb your hair or manipulate your scalp yesterday, the 170 is 2 days worth.

People do tend to shed more at different times of the year. It is the body's response to climate changes.

Unless your hair is obviously thinning, I would not worry about it.

I think one should wash their hair as often as their scalp dictates in terms of comfort (barring specific conditions) and one can scalp wash without having to wash the hair length if desired.

There are posts/threads on that.

beccababesx
October 22nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Washing less causing more shedding really makes no sense. More likely that as you wash it detangles and dislodges hairs that were already shed but hadn't fallen yet. Jmo :-)

curlytiff27
October 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
The average healthy shed is about 100 to 150 hairs a day. If you did not comb your hair or manipulate your scalp yesterday, the 170 is 2 days worth.

People do tend to shed more at different times of the year. It is the body's response to climate changes.

Unless your hair is obviously thinning, I would not worry about it.

I think one should wash their hair as often as their scalp dictates in terms of comfort (barring specific conditions) and one can scalp wash without having to wash the hair length if desired.

There are posts/threads on that.

I agree, go with what my scalp tolerates. Also, I did use some megatek diluted on it last night. That could have done it. I will see when I wash again on Monday. From some of the other posts in this thread, some have had the same issue, so for some of us it does make the most sense.

Mina17
October 22nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Washing less can lead to scalp buildup that clogs the hair follicles. I tried stretching washes and COing and noticed a lot more shedding. At first I thought it must be, as you say, hair that would have shed anyway. But then I was losing tons of hair that had abnormally large pieces of skin or something attached (sorry may be TMI) and my ponytail circumference was a lot smaller. I've since switched back to shampooing more frequently and the hair loss is slowing down.

This might not be the case with everyone, of course, but it was with me. It could be that I didn't clarify often enough or I'm just prone to buildup.

ktani
October 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Washing less can lead to scalp buildup that clogs the hair follicles. I tried stretching washes and COing and noticed a lot more shedding. At first I thought it must be, as you say, hair that would have shed anyway. But then I was losing tons of hair that had abnormally large pieces of skin or something attached (sorry may be TMI) and my ponytail circumference was a lot smaller. I've since switched back to shampooing more frequently and the hair loss is slowing down.

This might not be the case with everyone, of course, but it was with me. It could be that I didn't clarify often enough or I'm just prone to buildup.

That can happen too. Certain ingredients can clog pores.

When I used conditioner and I never clarified, my hair looked much thinner. Layers of build-up accumulate and weigh hair down.

I have never clarified. I just stopped using products that build-up and over a period of time, the build-up washed out. Enough catnip washes out each time with the shampoo I use that does not build-up, so that it all works out.

One thing I did notice when I stopped using conditioner, which I always used on my scalp is that I shed much less.

gthlvrmx
October 22nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
DOUBT it's true. I shed like nothing in the shower when i wash each day, but when i stretch my washes to once a week then i get this huge hairball and i know it's because i don't take it down and detangle it a lot, my curly hair just snags too much to be manipulated all the time. Normally, that's around 700 hairs that get stuck in my bun :) If i detangle each day, it's far less and my hairball is so small.

Deborah
October 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
I don't think it is true. I wash my hair once a week, and I only shed a few hairs in the shower. Brushing or combing is when my hair sheds, whether it is freshly washed or a week later.

MinderMutsig
October 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
I really don't buy the theory that hair stays stuck until you wash it and that it only seems like more hair. It may work that way for curly girls who don't comb and brush in between washes but my increased shed is not just during washing and I still comb and brush my hair twice a day. Any hairs that is about to shed comes out then too.

When I stretch washes, the hairball I pull out of my brush is a lot bigger than usual. I also lost nearly an inch in circumference while trying to stretch washings. I kept thinking it would stabilize so I kept trying. Never again. Stretching washes is the single worst thing I ever did to my hair.

I really don't understand why it is so hard to comprehend for some people that not everyone benefits from stretching washes and that it's even bad for some people. Why is it perfectly normal and acceptable on here if people claim a certain wash method is best or worst for them or a certain oil is great or horrible on their hair or xyz product or method is amazing or horrible but when it comes to stretching washes all of a sudden there is this big undeniable universal truth that must work for everyone? It doesn't.

My hair, my scalp and me were absolutely miserable and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they show telltale signs of over washing. I.e. having to wash twice a day with harsh detergents to prevent being a grease ball. Those are the cases that most likely agitate their scalps so much that they overproduce sebum and most likely would benefit from stretching washes a bit.

Mina17
October 22nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure it's entirely product buildup. I have issues with skin turnover rate on my face so it may be the same on my scalp. There's no way to scientifically prove it of course, but I am SURE that less washing in my particular case led to hair loss/ excessive shedding. My hair was significantly thinner so I believe it was not normal shedding. Alarming amounts of hair falling out. I started shampooing every other day again and am now losing significantly less hair. May be a coincidence, no way to prove it, but I'm not taking chances.

Other people may be able to get away with washing less but I don't think I'm one of them.

ktani
October 22nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
I have read that to maintain scalp health that hair should be washed a minimum of twice a week.

Years ago, when my scalp produced a lot oil, I had to wash my hair every 2 days out of scalp comfort and my hair got greasy really fast.

Now I can go once a week and longer between washes and both my hair and scalp are fine. I would not recommend that though unless one can do that without issues.

Scalp only washing (while not washing the hair length) seems to me like a reasonable compromise for those who like the idea.

Mina17
October 22nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
I really don't buy the theory that hair stays stuck until you wash it and that it only seems like more hair. It may work that way for curly girls who don't comb and brush in between washes but my increased shed is not just during washing and I still comb and brush my hair twice a day. Any hairs that is about to shed comes out then too.

When I stretch washes, the hairball I pull out of my brush is a lot bigger than usual. I also lost nearly an inch in circumference while trying to stretch washings. I kept thinking it would stabilize so I kept trying. Never again. Stretching washes is the single worst thing I ever did to my hair.

I really don't understand why it is so hard to comprehend for some people that not everyone benefits from stretching washes and that it's even bad for some people. Why is it perfectly normal and acceptable on here if people claim a certain wash method is best or worst for them or a certain oil is great or horrible on their hair or xyz product or method is amazing or horrible but when it comes to stretching washes all of a sudden there is this big undeniable universal truth that must work for everyone? It doesn't.

I totally agree!

MinderMutsig
October 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
Scalp only washing (while not washing the hair length) seems to me like a reasonable compromise for those who like the idea.

Definitely. I plan on doing those when my hair gets long enough to pull it off. My issue with stretching washes is my scalp but I also know that washing is (minimally) damaging to the length so I would like to prevent washing the length more often than it needs.

As soon as I'm able to make a loose braid with some room to spare near the scalp I plan on doing scalp only washes on my regular schedule (every 3-4 days) and only wash the length every 3-4 washes.

My hair still has some growing to do before I get there and the new growth that resulted from the major shed I had from trying to stretch washes is nearly long enough to fit into a ponytail so it will be a while before I'll be able to do those.

ktani
October 22nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Definitely. I plan on doing those when my hair gets long enough to pull it off. My issue with stretching washes is my scalp but I also know that washing is (minimally) damaging to the length so I would like to prevent washing the length more often than it needs.

As soon as I'm able to make a loose braid with some room to spare near the scalp I plan on doing scalp only washes on my regular schedule (every 3-4 days) and only wash the length every 3-4 washes.

My hair still has some growing to do before I get there and the new growth that resulted from the major shed I had from trying to stretch washes is nearly long enough to fit into a ponytail so it will be a while before I'll be able to do those.

I agree that washing the hair length can be minimally damaging. It does not have to be though.

I am much more careful now with how I handle my hair in the shower when wet and I have seen it pay off in less breakage. It is only when I get careless that the results are not what I wanted.

However, the less breakage results are also for me in how I have steeped the catnip, to provide more slip.

Milui Elenath
October 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
For me stretching washes has the opposite effect, far less shedding and since I'm WO now the shedding is even less.
(I wash once a week or sometimes even fortnightly)

I can certainly believe though that it isn't for everyone. As mentioned build up, clogged pores etc. may be being dealt with by frequent washings while stretching washes allows this issue to occur.

I also know I had terrible shedding on the oil shampoo method, (I hardly noticed shedding till I did this method but as far as I know no one else did)

Another thing to consider is that the texture of hair can change with increased oiliness/waxiness while your methods of detangling, handling etc may not have accomodated this change. The slip I had with conditioner compared to the slip I have with sebum is very different. With conditioner I had to be careful of scalp hair being pulled with sebum it's the ends that are fragile.

I think what is best is if you are trying to stretch washes don't go too dramatic. eg everyday washes to once a week. Stretch gradually. Don't change other routines at the same time and keep an eye on your shedding and texture. Try to identify if you are actually handling your hair the same/differently.

Madora
October 22nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
I never experienced anything horrible happening to my hair because I only washed it once a month. It is brushed thoroughly every day with a clean bbb, however. The average hair loss every day is well under the average amount.

curlytiff27
October 22nd, 2011, 08:17 PM

My hair, my scalp and me were absolutely miserable and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they show telltale signs of over washing. I.e. having to wash twice a day with harsh detergents to prevent being a grease ball. Those are the cases that most likely agitate their scalps so much that they overproduce sebum and most likely would benefit from stretching washes a bit.

Thanks for the post!!

KwaveT
October 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
When I wait longer between washes before I started deshedding my hair everyday, I would always get more hair when I wash. Since I CO, the extra slip of the hair would bring sheds out of my head in bunches. All those hairs for each day are still in my head on wash day.

alxardnax
October 23rd, 2011, 08:20 PM
The less I wash my hair the more I shed. I always have my hair down, so it is not from wearing it up. I know it is related to washing less because there is no other link, but I don't know why. I still wait 2-3 or even a couple more days before washing and I don't have a problem with that, but if I wait longer than that, my hair sheds much more than usual.

I brush or comb my hair the same if it is freshly washed or not, so its not because I stop brushing my hair when it is a couple days old and then when I do brush it, it all comes out. Also, my hair tangles worse when it hasn't been washed 5 or more days. I am guessing that is debris and sebum. But for me, washing every three days or so is better for my hair and prevents more damage.

Flying Penguin
October 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
This thread has been informative for me... I thought before that stretching washes was unequivocally good. I had a scare the other day - when I woke up and combed my hair, I lost TONS of hair. shudder: It really freaked me out. I've never lost so much hair at once before. I don't think it was due to stretching washes (rather because I left my hair in bun waves for days and didn't brush it, and it got super tangled). I wonder if stretching washes contributed to that though. I've been stretching from 2-3 days to 3-4 days. I'm currently on day 3 and after reading this thread, my scalp is itching like crazy. Aaaah!!! I'll have to be careful...

Kathie
October 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I like to keep my scalp happy. So I wash every third day, any longer than that and my scalp starts to itch. I have seen a few threads that link increase oiliness/moisture to increase shedding for some e.g., CO washes, oiling the scalp, and like this thread- stretching washes. Everyone is different.

Inching Along
October 24th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I think I am now losing fewer hairs per wash (which was a ton!) because I am brushing my scalp twice a day, so I'm losing the hairs more regularly than before. But it also seems that there's less loss overall. I'm truly hopeful that my loss is slowing and that the new hairs I'm seeing are just the start of more hair growth.

I should add that I have autoimmune thyroid disease and have lost a lot of volume in the past five years or so. Add to that a huge amount of stress, and it's hair disaster time. But I'm treating it the best I can and eating a healing diet and am looking for a doctor who can target my autoimmune issue. Here's a photo:

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/houseofhoff/Inching_Along_LHC.jpg

Inching Along
October 24th, 2011, 07:54 PM
And I should add that I tried to stretch out my washes, but I found that I was losing more hair...probably due to only combing when washing and not brushing at all...hence my post above that seems out of place. It's been a long day, LOL! I'll keep an eye on my hair loss...I keep hoping for the best.

Charlotte:)
October 24th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah, this is the case for me as well. When I was only washing once a week, my scalp got all itchy and smelly and my hair started falling out. When I wash 2-3 times a week, though, it's just fine. Some people simply produce more oil, so their pores get clogged and sometimes bacteria grows even if they are using a BBB on a regular basis. I learned this the hard way.

arielágua
April 29th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I have been trying to stretch my washes to twice a week, and is not working. I shed the double.
I know it is because of the stretching washes:

1. I comb my hair everyday in the morning and I do count the number of hairs I lose. I lose about 20-30 hairs. This happens on the washing day, second and third day. But in the fourth and fifth day I lose like 60 or more strands from combing in the morning.

2. I have been wearing my hair up, so I know most hairs get trapped. But if they get trapped why do I lose more on the fourth and fifth day?

3. On the fourth day without washing my scalp becomes super itchy and uncomfortable. And my facial skin has wide pores, which looks like the oiliness of my hair is spreading to my forehead. It's nasty. On the fourth and fifth day I feel like I have to wash my face and neck twice a day.

I am not saying washing less frequently is bad. For me is a horror film. I am giving up on this stretching washes challenge I set for myself. I think I produce more oil than the average person and I also am prone to dandruff and bacteria formation on the scalp. My flaky scalp also gets worse on the fourth day.

I used to have wonderful results when I washed my hair every other day. I think I am going to go back to that. :)

neet
April 29th, 2012, 09:43 AM
My scalp sweats like anything,actually my scalp sweats more than any other part of the body.It is uncomfortable for me not to wash my hair .:rolleyes:

ladyfey
April 29th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I wash every other day. If I don't, I get major tangles, even though I detangle every day. My hair really doesn't handle stretching washes, so I don't even try.

Beckstar
April 29th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I get small hampster sheds if I wash daily or the motherload hampster to end all hampsterdom if I wash once a week. Same amount of hair though. Just appears to be more if I look at it.

holothuroidea
April 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM
If you are having any other scalp symptoms, like acne, smells, sores or flakes, then your scalp might be ejecting hairs.

However, if your scalp seems otherwise healthy then you are probably just noticing hairs that would ordinarily shed unnoticed.

Shermie Girl
April 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM
While stretching washings may work for some people, it isn't for everyone. Certainly not for me. I have tried and tried to stretch the time between washing my hair and I end up in a mess of fail, every time. I can go two days, max.

If stretching between washing doesn't work for you, it's no big deal. Just do what works for you and your hair. There is no sense in suffering or driving yourself crazy trying to go longer if your head doesn't like it. :D

ETA: Just realized this is an old thread. Really old. To go along with my old eyes that have trouble seeing the date, as the font is tiny and white in a light grey background. :lol:

nobeltonya
April 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
IDK about shedding, but my hair just looks better if I wash it every day. I've also tried just washing the scalp and not actually applying the shampoo to the ends, but they seemed drier.. so I just oil regularly, condition nicely and use leave-in to combat any dryness that may occur from washing.. but lately, I'm only combing my hair after I wash it, so if I don't wash it, I'd probably get even more tangles w/loose hairs getting stuck...

dulce
April 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Definitely for me,my scalp and hair like a gentle daily wash and conditioner,if I go a few days without, I get a sore scalp,lots of shed and scalp sores.Stretching washes does not work for everyone.

Autumn
April 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
This has not been my experience. I have been doing SO for several months and I lose very few hairs (<10) when I comb out in the morning. I also have new growth around my temples (also probably elsewhere, though less noticeable). I think something about washing the hair made these little fragile hairs fall out before. My scalp/hair system seems more consistently balanced now that I don't perturb it regularly by washing. (Scritching and combing help clean, but I am guessing they do not change the chemical balance of my scalp/hair much at all.)

There are many confounds here that could affect the relationship between washing and hair loss, such as what wash method you use, how accustomed you are to your current wash method/products, etc. I don't think you can conclude from a few anecdotal reports that less washing produces more shedding.

oddelabop
April 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I find that when I leave my hair longer - as you say yourself - more hairs come out....

But I reckon this may be due to the fact that the more greasy and horrid my hair looks the less I brush it or mess with it so I just leave it in a plait. Maybe when my hair is cleaner I dont notice as I am brushing it more and therefore fewer hairs come out at a time,

I don't know but it freaks me out so i tend to wash my hair more frequesntly once every 2-3 days just so I dont get stressed after having a big shed!!

terpentyna
April 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I definitely lost more hair when I tried stretching washes. I tried to hold out, truly, but my scalp gets itchy and oily and I do start shedding more. Everyone needs to figure out what does them best I guess