PDA

View Full Version : Friend with DRY HAIR! ADVICE?

ladystar
June 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
OK so I have a friend asking for my help I know this advice has been given before on here. If so and someone has a link redirect me thank you. ;)

She has really dry hair, she has been dying it with highlights for a long time, she also had hair extensions on her hair for about a year. So when she took them off of course her her is messed up and Really really really DRY :rolleyes:!!!! She cut it to her shoulders and dyed it one color instead of highlights. She wants me to do a treatment for her. What do you recommend :confused:? Thank you LHC !

mommy2one05
June 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I would recommend an SMT or go to walmart or sally's or wherever you buy your hair products and find a deep conditioner. Good Luck! And I would recommend to do whichever twice a week until hair is better and then maybe once a week or two depending on condition of hair.

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I'd do an SMT, or maybe a deep protien treatment depending. Bleached hair tends to love protien.

Test a strand to see if it's just dry, or if when you pull it it stretches or just snaps. If it's dry and snapping (brittle hair) it's dry, and I'd do an SMT. If it stretches for a while, then snaps, it needs protein in a bad way. You can make protein treatments with eggs and such, but I prefer the Henna n'Placenta treatment I got at Sallys. You can get smaller packets at CVS.

But if you can't get that, try mixing a protein rich conditioner with two egg yolks, maybe? Since she has dyed hair, you might want to recommend CO washes and going cone free as a possibility as well, regardless of hair type. It might take a while to see results, but trying for a week should eb long enough to tel if it'll work for her.

Honestly, there's no miracle treatment here. XD But some stuff can help. Also, if she vetoes the no-cone thing, tell her to wash her hair before doing any sort of deep treatment with a cone-free shampoo. Otherwise it won't do much.

Oh, and you could do a hot oil treatment with olive oil too! Those are awesome!

ladystar
June 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks, I also forgot her hair has been blow fried and ironed a LOT!!!!! lol. I think I will try the olive oil and egg with maybe some coconut oil added to it. Hmmm?

Sorry I don't know what SMT is?

florenonite
June 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Wow, I feel really stupid at the moment. I've got dry hair at the moment from swimming two days in a row and shampooing twice without diluted shampoo the second time, and so clicked on this thread for ideas and the first one was SMT. Of course I should do an SMT! Major hair stupid moment.

I'd also recommend she try CWC or CO. I got a friend of mine doing CWC because her hair's highlighted and dry (she used to shampoo the full length twice every other day) and she was raving about the immense improvement in her hair.

ETA: an SMT is Snowy's Moisture Treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=moisture)

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks, I also forgot her hair has been blow fried and ironed a LOT!!!!! lol. I think I will try the olive oil and egg with maybe some coconut oil added to it. Hmmm?

Sorry I don't know what SMT is?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment.

ladystar
June 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Ok I like the SMT I think i might even do it myself. lol Thanks.

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM
My dry ends cure

1. Braid hair and tie off leaving 3 inches at the tassle.
2. Pour distilled water over the tassle wetting thoroughly.
3. If you think you have buildup) Using a sulfate, clarifying shampoo or baking soda mixed with shampoo add to tassle and massage thoroughly.
4. Rinse VERY thoroughly.
5. Add as much as you want of conditioner (I used Beauty without cruelty leave-in) 6. Press out excess drips with fingers gently.
7. Add thorough soaking of whatever oil your hair likes (I used coconut oil)
8. Press out drips again gently with fingers.
9. Put in an updo that covers the ends and leave for a day or however long you can.
10. Take down and VOILA beautiful, soft, moisturized ends!!!(If still damp just let dry by itself)

You can also add aloe gel to this if your hair likes it. It sort of makes it like a leave-in SMT.

talula_fairie
June 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Best shampoo and conditioner for fried hair is by Bumble and Bumble. Their Gentle Shampoo and Super Rich conditioner was the best thing I ever used when my hair was color treated and fried, fried, fried. Their tonic styling spray is a good protector for blow drying as well. If she wants to avoid both cones and SLS/SLES, I really like Dr. Hauschka's Macadamia and Orange Shampoo and their Jojoba and Marshmallow conditioner. Though I didn't find that they are quite as moisturizing as Bumble and Bumble.

If she wants to go with something cheaper, Dove Shampoo is the best of the drugstore lines that I tried. I think they have a super moisturizing one for colored hair that works pretty well (though if you go Dove, I do reccomend clarifying once a month or so becuase it builds up something awful).

If she has hair longer than shoulder length, doing CWC is probably a good idea. I'd buy a cheap conditioner for that. I personally like Whole Foods 365 brand conditioner for something like that, but I know it's not available at all Whole Foods markets (such a bummer).

I haven't tried oiling or that thing where you mix conditioner, aloe, and oil yet so no advice on that front.

ladystar
June 11th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Thank you everyone so much. This is great advice. :cheese:

SweetPea88
June 11th, 2008, 01:27 PM
What about a Molasses treatment?

I've never done one myself but I was just reading about it in Aisha25's blog (I think it is Blueneko's creation). It's supposed to be super moisturizing.

2 big spoons blackstrap molasses
1 big spoon coconut oil
1 big spoon conditioner

Leave it in for an hour and then wash out. HTH!

ladystar
June 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I believe its for dark hair. Her hair is not dark and I think she will kill me if I were to make it darker. LOL But thank you its something great for my own hair.

SweetPea88
June 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Haha, no problem! :)