PDA

View Full Version : Is cone-free becoming trendy?

krissykins
February 23rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
I saw an issue of Seventeen (March 2011, I believe) in the library today and since I was waiting for someone I thought I'd flip through it.

In one of their hair articles, there was a "17 FYI" that said the following:

"Many hair treatments contain silicones, which weigh hair down. Look for products with nourishing oils, like avocado and apricot, instead--they add moisture without flattening your texture."

Someone's beauty department must be lurking on long hair forums or something :lol:

Hala
February 23rd, 2011, 10:12 AM
I've started hearing a lot more about cones among more mainstream-hair-care friends, so yes, I think so.

Rosalaun
February 23rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
I've recently noticed Tresemmé's reasonbly new 'naturals' range that advertises as being cone free, and know there was another that advertised 'leaving less residue' so I'm assuming that was low cone or cone free too. So I think it's getting a little more popular too.

Anje
February 23rd, 2011, 10:20 AM
I've seen that more lately too.

Strange to be on the leading edge of a trend....

naereid
February 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
I think it is! Pantene is currently advertising Aqualight (http://www.pantene.co.uk/feather,aqua-light-products.html) and its main selling point is a lack of heavy silicones. Some Balea and Alverde condishes have a "no silicone!" sticker on them.

I guess it really is true that everything alternative becomes mainstream at some point. :p

krissykins
February 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
I think it is! Pantene is currently advertising Aqualight (http://www.pantene.co.uk/feather,aqua-light-products.html) and its main selling point is a lack of heavy silicones. Some Balea and Alverde condishes have a "no silicone!" sticker on them.

I guess it really is true that everything alternative becomes mainstream at some point. :p

It's true. So many good music genres destroyed that way. :(

I will have to try the Tresemme Naturals, but I think I'll pass on Pantene. My hair no likey the Pantene (it could be from the heavy silicones though...)

Anywhere
February 23rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
If it is then that's fascinating. Wouldn't it make it tough for people who like cones to find products then? :ponder:

Smile4Kiki
February 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
but isn't it bad to use no cones if you use heat in your hair? Most "mainstream" (non-LHC) people probably use blow dryers and flat irons. If they start using no cones and continue to use heat they would be directly frying their hair and cause more damage.

enfys
February 23rd, 2011, 10:48 AM
but isn't it bad to use no cones if you use heat in your hair? Most "mainstream" (non-LHC) people probably use blow dryers and flat irons. If they start using no cones and continue to use heat they would be directly frying their hair and cause more damage.

That's my second thought. Cones can hide damage, so unless you stop the damage you might not fare well without cones.

I really hope cones don't do out of fashion. I do rather like them. No, I don't have damaged hair I need to protect. I also don't have weighed down hair.

*Rose Red*
February 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Yes, I think cone-free becomes more and more trendy. And I think that natural cosmetic becomes more and more trendy. People today lay attention on their health and all these natural things are good to make money. People want to treat theirselves good, and the commercials tell us that all these natural ingredients are worth their money. I use natural cosmetics too, and so I see how it is more and more popular, you get cheap cosmetic in a drug store, you get natural cosmetic in the pharmacy - everywhere, not only in the special shops.
And a lot of popular brands, like Pantene, event more natural variations of their products.

Capybara
February 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
I hope cones don't go out of fashion too :)

I noticed that L'Oreal has no cone/sulfate free shampoos as well.

Luna12345
February 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
I used to love cones and sometimes still do but I know they are not so good for the hair.
surprisingly there are some people outside of lhc who know this too. I remember one girl at my school told me about this before I even joined lhc, I didn't even know what cones were so I didn't even care about what she said.
It's insane how most conditioners actually have cones:(

krissykins
February 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
If it is then that's fascinating. Wouldn't it make it tough for people who like cones to find products then? :ponder:

If it becomes the new "in" thing, you can bet your sweet bippy that companies will be ALL OVER not putting cones in their products.

Though I do hope cones stick around for those who love to use them, I'm happy that the availability of cone-free products is increasing.

Luna12345
February 23rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
I've recently noticed Tresemmé's reasonbly new 'naturals' range that advertises as being cone free, and know there was another that advertised 'leaving less residue' so I'm assuming that was low cone or cone free too. So I think it's getting a little more popular too.

I use that Tresemme conditioner you're talking about and It's amazingly moisturizing, for me it works even better than a conditioner with cones....they also have a TRESemme shampoo with less sulfates.

wvgemini
February 23rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Yes, I think cone-free becomes more and more trendy. And I think that natural cosmetic becomes more and more trendy. People today lay attention on their health and all these natural things are good to make money. People want to treat theirselves good, and the commercials tell us that all these natural ingredients are worth their money. I use natural cosmetics too, and so I see how it is more and more popular, you get cheap cosmetic in a drug store, you get natural cosmetic in the pharmacy - everywhere, not only in the special shops.
And a lot of popular brands, like Pantene, event more natural variations of their products.

I agree with this. Seems like the whole "natural! organic! green!" thing is a massive (money making) trend now. Guess a lot of us were "natural" before it was cool, lol.

HintOfMint
February 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
While cone-free is becoming more common, it's not likely that they're going to push out cone-full products. Most people still heatstyle their hair and silicone products are still the gold standard for that haircare routine whether it's providing (however slight) protection against heat or covering up damage from heat.

It's just adding more variety to the market and it's making it easier for people to find what they want.

enfys
February 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
I used to love cones and sometimes still do but I know they are not so good for the hair.
surprisingly there are some people outside of lhc who know this too. I remember one girl at my school told me about this before I even joined lhc, I didn't even know what cones were so I didn't even care about what she said.
It's insane how most conditioners actually have cones:(

Cones aren't evil. This article links to plenty of evidence to back it up.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185

Siava
February 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM

That's how the hair product companies getcha. ;) Damage your hair and then buy their anti-damage concoctions. It's a vicious marketing strategy.

SweetVuli
February 23rd, 2011, 02:22 PM

Not really, only because the majority of mainstream hair products this use them in their main products. I hear you though.

My hair still enjoys certain cones...

ellen732
February 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Cones definitely still have a place in the market. Even though I don't use cones all the time I still need them. My hair has varying textures and I could not live without them. I don't use heat or have damaged hair, I just need the weight.

Nera
February 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Yes it is! Cone free products are almost impossible to find in regular Dutch stores, and I've heard a lot of people about the 'danger of cones' recently.

mellie89
February 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
I swear, that SAME EXACT line was in a hair article in the last Elle magazine that I read. I have to go find it now... :eye:

Magazine hair articles make no sense to me. In one paragraph, they say how awesome these new, natural products are, and in the next, they're giving instructions to make a messy bun that include blow drying, flat ironing, teasing, backcombing, and eight different products. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's definitely a fad. It seems like every line of products has a "natural" option, even if it's still only a small percentage of the options out there. It's nice. Maybe if people see the "94% biodegradable!" on their Garnier Fructis shampoo bottle, they'll think more about all the little ways that we affect the environment, and they'll make more environmentally-friendly decisions in other areas of their life. :thumbsup:

luxepiggy
February 23rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
It goes along with the whole organic - locally produced - no chemicals - natural everything trend. Luckily for those of us who are 'coneheads, I doubt the companies will be discontinuing their coney lines anytime soon. More likely they'll just add a couple of "natural" and "no silicone / low silicone" products to their existing lines.

dawnss
April 2nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
I swear, that SAME EXACT line was in a hair article in the last Elle magazine that I read. I have to go find it now... :eye:

Magazine hair articles make no sense to me. In one paragraph, they say how awesome these new, natural products are, and in the next, they're giving instructions to make a messy bun that include blow drying, flat ironing, teasing, backcombing, and eight different products. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's definitely a fad. It seems like every line of products has a "natural" option, even if it's still only a small percentage of the options out there. It's nice. Maybe if people see the "94% biodegradable!" on their Garnier Fructis shampoo bottle, they'll think more about all the little ways that we affect the environment, and they'll make more environmentally-friendly decisions in other areas of their life. :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about the magazines telling you about natural, (take that however you may) alternatives but then they tell you to use a blowdryer, flatiron, hair spray, serum, over priced shampoos and conditioners, and etc all for one hairstyle. I remember seventeen magazine back in the summer of 2006 talked about jojoba and avocado oils, they said these would be good for type four hair but the product they were talking about was loaded with cones and mineral oil. Now there is not anything wrong with cones or mineral oil (it should not be applied on the scalp because it clogs it up), however with really heavy cones and mineral oil an individual will have to clarify eventually. This brings me to another topic, when I read reviews and people say that a product stopped working, for the majority of people I do not think this is the case, I think that they need to clarify their hair and then give the product another go. Since the hair that comes out of your scalp is not alive, your hair does not really have the ability to become immune, like your body does, to certain things. I do not know sorry for the rant.

ElusiveMuse
April 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
I wish people would be more realistic about silicones. My hair looks and feels like straw without them. They are not all bad.

RecklessCharlie
April 2nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
I think that natural haircare knowledge is just becoming more widespread, especially with the internet and the sharing of information that that allows.
I'm thrilled that its becoming more 'main-stream'!

Chamy
April 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Yes it most definitely is. More and more of my friends come back from the hair stylist talking about how cones is bad for your hair. That never happened before.

krissykins
April 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
I wish people would be more realistic about silicones. My hair looks and feels like straw without them. They are not all bad.

I think that cones serve their place in society. It was not my intent to bash cones :) I personally do not use them, but they work for other people.

It is, however, a problem if people don't know when to clarify.

I can't say I'm particularly "thrilled" about alternative hair care becoming more mainstream, as people seem to latch on to a single aspect of it and suddenly they're experts (aka, coming back from the hairstylist and saying cones are bad. THEY'RE NOT BAD!). I know that I am not as knowledgeable as I could be, but I feel I have picked up a fair amount, and it's a pain in the rear to explain that no, honey will not make your hair grow thicker, but it will add moisture, which could be a reason why your hair isn't as thick as it could be.

pepperminttea
April 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I like 'cones in small doses; I hope they don't go out of fashion completely, though it's nice to see more awareness of them. What seems insane to me is that it's common place to put them in shampoos. Conditioners I can understand, but shampoos... the idea just confuses me.

Firefox7275
April 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Fake natural is not a new trend, the big players have been disguising animal-tested environmentally-unfriendly chemicals with flowery labels for years. Fashion is cyclical, flat ironed hair has been mainstream for too long - Jennifer Aniston after the Rachel cut? :shrug: Not too many girls like to have the same hairstyle as their mother, rightly or wrongly. People who are really 'trendy' are moving away from that; the last couple of years there has been talk of the 'new' trends for red hair and for curls. In the UK at least, the cone thing goes hand-in-hand with poker straight bottle blonde.

UltraBella
April 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
I think the average person hears "cones" and has no idea what it means. They don't know if they are using them or not. Most are.
My hair hates cones, my daughter's hair looks awful without them. There is definitely room for both types of products.

isshevital
April 2nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Maybe if people see the "94% biodegradable!" on their Garnier Fructis shampoo bottle, they'll think more about all the little ways that we affect the environment, and they'll make more environmentally-friendly decisions in other areas of their life. :thumbsup:

Personally, I tend to feel the opposite way about the "green" trend. I think people are growing more and more aware that we cannot continue on the path we are on, endlessly consuming and polluting. And I think large corporations now are simply changing their game and advertising to this mindset without making sufficient changes to their products or their ethics. Ultimately, to be a more sustainable society, we need to consume less, NOT consume superficially "green" products that make us feel less guilty for being greedy and wasteful.

And can I please draw attention to the profound absurdity of classifying household cleaning products, laundry detergent, cosmetic products, etc. as "natural"?

But I digress. Anyway, that cone-free Tresemme is nice for CO washes, and smells nice. :rolleyes:

knoxkatie
April 2nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
I have noticed this too! Also, "no sulfates" seems to have been a trend in the past year or so too.

krissykins
April 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Personally, I tend to feel the opposite way about the "green" trend. I think people are growing more and more aware that we cannot continue on the path we are on, endlessly consuming and polluting. And I think large corporations now are simply changing their game and advertising to this mindset without making sufficient changes to their products or their ethics. Ultimately, to be a more sustainable society, we need to consume less, NOT consume superficially "green" products that make us feel less guilty for being greedy and wasteful.

And can I please draw attention to the profound absurdity of classifying household cleaning products, laundry detergent, cosmetic products, etc. as "natural"?

But I digress. Anyway, that cone-free Tresemme is nice for CO washes, and smells nice. :rolleyes:

I agree with everything you said, but especially the bolded. Have you looked at some of the labels of popular brands of mineral makeup? Physician's Formula has a LOT of chemicals in it, I believe (don't remember what exactly I saw :p)

I have noticed this too! Also, "no sulfates" seems to have been a trend in the past year or so too.

People must be starting to realize that SLS is also in their dishwashing deteregent. :lol:

maborosi
April 4th, 2011, 09:53 AM
My hair hates 'natural' cone-free shampoos/ especially the shampoo bars. I don't get why weighing hair down is 'bad', especially if you have fine hair like I do...

~maborosi~

Toadstool
April 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Personally, I tend to feel the opposite way about the "green" trend. I think people are growing more and more aware that we cannot continue on the path we are on, endlessly consuming and polluting. And I think large corporations now are simply changing their game and advertising to this mindset without making sufficient changes to their products or their ethics.

Yes, and a lot of them still test on animals.