PDA

View Full Version : Spread the love :D

Bianca
February 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Am I the only one who gets annoyed when hearing the term dishwater or mousy blonde ? :patrol:

I feel the need to shout out the wonders of dark blonde hair when I come across it.

So here goes:
I love how it shines golden in the sun.
I love my natural highlights.
I love the mix of blonde shades.

And last but not least, I just :inlove: the color, which does not resemble dishwater AT ALL :silly:

SwordWomanRiona
February 23rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
I think dark blond's beautiful, I've always thought 'dishwater blond' is an awful name. I don't like 'ash blond' either, although it's better...

krissykins
February 23rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
I remember hearing the term "dishwater blond" when I was 9, and thinking, "that's really mean. I'm never going to refer to it as that."

So here's to beautiful dark blond hair!

Eolan
February 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hear, hear! :D

I think I might be in this category, or almost anyway.

Where I'm from, alot of women with this hair color gets it lightened. Then they compare their natural hair color to the artificial one, and says that their natural hair color looks boring. But artificial colors or box dyes or whatever you call them makes the natural growth look weird, since it's so bright.

I don't concider my hair color boring. I love it. One of the best things about it is that it comes straight out of my head!

I love all natural hair colors. So much more interresting than any box dye.

pink.sara
February 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
I <3 that colour!

My SO has hair that is not quite blonde not quite brown and can look so ashy it is grey in certain lights, but it shines so beautifully, and in sunlight you can see it is a mix of everything from golden brown to platinum.

His mid back thick hair and it's striking colour was a big part of why I fell for him in the first place :)

spoonshine
February 23rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
With you 100%. I hate the term. I recall kids (including other little girls with the same shade of hair and shades of self-loathing in their voices) referring to my hair as dishwater blonde. Its insulting and inaccurate. Unless of course you happen to pour bottles of lovely, shiny, glittery golden paints into your dishwater. :D I miss my natural colour and can't wait 'til all this hendigo has grown out. The thing I probably miss the most is the variety of shades. So pretty in the sun.

pepperminttea
February 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
It really wouldn't surprise me if it got the awful names out of envy for being a natural blonde. :p

BabyRay33
February 23rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
I too have this haircolor and for the longest time I did not appreciate it. But it gets prettier and prettier as it grows out- sometimes steely gray and other times bright gold! We have a rainbow of color, other people wish for that.

Bianca
February 23rd, 2011, 11:11 AM

I think I might be in this category, or almost anyway.

Where I'm from, alot of women with this hair color gets it lightened. Then they compare their natural hair color to the artificial one, and says that their natural hair color looks boring. But artificial colors or box dyes or whatever you call them makes the natural growth look weird, since it's so bright.

I don't concider my hair color boring. I love it. One of the best things about it is that it comes straight out of my head!

Exactly. When I grew out my natural color, I was so close to just dying it. My roots looked so blah next to the light blonde :)

I <3 that colour!

My SO has hair that is not quite blonde not quite brown and can look so ashy it is grey in certain lights, but it shines so beautifully, and in sunlight you can see it is a mix of everything from golden brown to platinum.

His mid back thick hair and it's striking colour was a big part of why I fell for him in the first place :)

How lovely :p

It really wouldn't surprise me if it got the awful names out of envy for being a natural blonde. :p

:lol: Probably :D

Anywhere
February 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
My hair used to be, as my mom called it, "dirty" blonde. It's a fine color, but not when all your roots are now medium/dark brown while the bottom half is dark blonde from bleach. (my own hair, for example):rolleyes:

I actually like dark blonde better than platinum blonde (unless said platinum blonde is natural). It seems more realistic and less... fake (and in high school, you see a lot of poorly dyed fake blondes :rolleyes:).

HereIGrowAgain
February 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
My hair gets blond highlights as it gets longer, and it used to be referred to as dishwater blond. That just doesn't sound pretty, and I loved my natural color. So then I started saying it was brunette, blond, and just a bit of redhead mixed together. Then I condensed it down and said I was calico. ;)

tigr
February 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I love this thread! I've always hated the term "dishwater blonde". I've used the term, though, because I didn't know any other words to describe the color. Now I do! Thanks!

EmiliaF
February 23rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
I had a 'friend' in school who was almost platinum blonde (naturally) and she used to make stupid remarks about my hair. In Germany the expression for dishwater blonde is 'hair like a stray dog' (straßen-köter-blond).
:taz:

HintOfMint
February 23rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
There's a girl in one of my classes with a light brown/dark blonde shade of hair and it has an "ash" tone to it, and in the light, it had a faint silver glow to it, like moonlight. It was absolutely gorgeous.

Pyvsi
February 23rd, 2011, 02:01 PM

Same here. I was talking to a friend last week about that - how I'm heavily biased in favor of natural hair color. We don't see a lot of darker blondes wearing their natural color. I look at my dad's yearbook (where just about everyone was wearing his or her natural hair color and texture) and I thought - wow! These people look great just the way they are! Why don't more people do that? We didn't all get drastically uglier in just one generation to where we have to make all these artificial "improvements."

anyway, rant over.

:cheese::cheese::cheese:Three cheers and cheeses for the loud, proud, dark blond hotties who wear their natural crowns!

(and for everyone else who rocks his or own genetic gifts!)

mellie89
February 23rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Yay! :cheer: I don't think anyone's ever described my hair as "dishwater blond," but it's been referred to as "dirty blond" more times than I can count. What a gross term!

I love my hair color! I love the natural highlights that I get in the summer, I love how it shines in the sun, I love the variation in color from strand to strand... and I love that my hair matches my eyebrows. ;)

bluesnowflake
February 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Me too! people say my hair is dishwater or "dirty" blond. Who wants their hair to look dirty? I prefer "golden". Plus, I like how it's a bunch of different shades.

MsBubbles
February 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Thank you Bianca!!:hifive: I almost started such a thread many times in the past but it was always incited by just having read somebody refer to their natural color as 'dishwater blonde', so I was too hot under the collar to make anything sound positive.

Bravo for putting it in such a palatable way.

I consider myself part of the dark-blonde-insult police.

There are such gorgeous heads of very long dark blonde hair here that don't remotely resemble dishwater.

Mannaz
February 23rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
I In Germany the expression for dishwater blonde is 'hair like a stray dog' (straßen-köter-blond).

Uuuuu that is nasty! Not sure if we Finns have it any better, here it is "grey as the road", (if that makes sense!?), or just simply "not-of any-color" :rolleyes:

I'm a dark blonde myself and I've learned to really like it. I hadn't seen my own colour for maybe... fifteen years so I was surprised as it started to grow in. Funny thing is, I get compliments of the colour all the time! Guess that's because most of the people dye their hair so my colour is exceptional. How much fun would it be to see peoples true hair colors :D

Great thread!

turquoisebud
February 23rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
I've never like the term "dishwater blonde" before. I mean, do you say brown hair is "muddy-dirt brown"? No, so why is it dishwater blonde? :shrug: I never really understood why it was called this, because I don't think my hair color looks like dishwater. :? I prefer to think of it was "wheat-colored blonde" or "golden grain-blonde" :p

ghilliegirl_an
February 23rd, 2011, 06:15 PM
I've always loved this color and although my hair is nowhere near it(medium brown) I always wonder what I'd look like with it. I think dark blonde has so much more depth than bleached blonde which is one flat usually boring color. It also seems to be really unique at least around teens/adults, I think this is because most people with this natural color dye it and that's such a shame. probably one of my favorite hair colors of all time would be the really ashy(for lack of a better word) blonde that is almost a silvery grey color it just seems so unique and striking to me. I hope more people start growing to appreciate this hair color and find better names than "dishwater blonde", I think often this usage stems from not knowing a better description than hatred for the color itself, dark blonde is a good way to put it.

-Ashley

Cirafly24
February 23rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
:D I love this thread! My natural color is also dark ash blond/light brownish...I've never had anyone refer to it as dishwater blond, but that's probably because I've never really kept my natural color long enough!

It's also funny how different colors look depending on what other colors are around it...for example, I dyed my hair light blond for yeeearrs, and I though my natural color was dark brown, because my roots looked SO DARK! However, when I started dying my hair black, my roots looked super light! Now my natural color is at about APL, and it blends pretty well into the rest of my hair (faded black/brown/red dye). I can't wait until all my hair has grown out! :crush:

Bianca
February 24th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I had a 'friend' in school who was almost platinum blonde (naturally) and she used to make stupid remarks about my hair. In Germany the expression for dishwater blonde is 'hair like a stray dog' (straßen-köter-blond).

Hair like a stray dog, now come on. In denmark dark blonde is often called liver pate colored. Not very nice either :(

Same here. I was talking to a friend last week about that - how I'm heavily biased in favor of natural hair color. We don't see a lot of darker blondes wearing their natural color. I look at my dad's yearbook (where just about everyone was wearing his or her natural hair color and texture) and I thought - wow! These people look great just the way they are! Why don't more people do that? We didn't all get drastically uglier in just one generation to where we have to make all these artificial "improvements."

anyway, rant over.

:cheese::cheese::cheese:Three cheers and cheeses for the loud, proud, dark blond hotties who wear their natural crowns!

(and for everyone else who rocks his or own genetic gifts!)

:cheer: The loud, proud, dark blonde babes. Here we come :cheer:

Thank you Bianca!!:hifive: I almost started such a thread many times in the past but it was always incited by just having read somebody refer to their natural color as 'dishwater blonde', so I was too hot under the collar to make anything sound positive.

Bravo for putting it in such a palatable way.

I consider myself part of the dark-blonde-insult police.

There are such gorgeous heads of very long dark blonde hair here that don't remotely resemble dishwater.

Thanks :flowers: I didn't want it to be a negative tread :)

SprngGrnGoddess
February 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Good thread!!

I've never had mine called dishwater, but dirty-blonde yes.

I'm one of those people who has a head of mostly fine, poker straight medium dark blonde, with about 5-10% ultrafine ash almost white hairs and about 5% much thicker courser red hairs.

When it's natural it looks quite reddish dark strawberry blond, but yeah the highlights and bleaching I did for the last 15 years always make my hair growth look really a 'nothing' colour.

I've hennad it now and most of the henna has faded...I have about and inch and half of 'virgin hair' and about 2 inches of virgin, but henna'd hair, with the rest having highlighst n lowlights .

I'd really love to see what it all ends up looking like if I didn't dye it again. I get gorgeous yellow blond highlight sun steaks in the summer (or I did when I was 14, anyway!!)

I think dark blond hair is gorgoeus too, the only problem I really have with it is that the roots end up looking so dark and manky and greasy and having mostly fine straight hair it looks flat.

But when it's clean and the sun is shining on it - *beautiful* :D :D

RancheroTheBee
February 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I always thought it was a lovely colour. It reflects a lot of light, and it looks fresh and youthful. Also, I always called it "fawn".