PDA

View Full Version : Need help, I've bought some essential oils....

sunnyhope
February 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
and they smell so strong they dont even smell nice.........:(
Is that because they are so concentratet or what

i got lavender, mandarin, frangipani, vanilla and cinnamon..... the two first ones i will definetly keep but i m not totally sure about the rest.
what would you do?

excentricat
February 23rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
What were you going to do with them? If you use lotion, you could try adding a drop to some unscented and seeing how you like it mixed and mellowed out. Or similar advice to whatever you were going to do, basically a small enough batch that one drop should be good. I've never gotten into using pure essential oils, so I'm not sure.

sunnyhope
February 23rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
i was going to add some in my shea butter as i cant do with the smell.
also i thought i could use them in candle burners or even in my bath water.....

rocket_surgeon
February 23rd, 2011, 09:56 AM
Are you just smelling them from the bottle? They're probably a little too concentrated, then. Try putting a drop on your wrist and letting it warm up to body temperature.

When I was using rosemary oil, I noticed the same thing. It didn't smell like anything special in the bottle, but in my hair it smelled divine.

Mannaz
February 23rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
I'll repeat the question exentricat asked: what are going to do with them?

Essential oils are usually not meant to be used "straight", because they really are VERY concentrated, and some of them, like cinnamon can be irritating to skin ( I know this from a burning experience...). In other hand, lavender should be safe to use straight for example to soothe a pimple or an insect bite.

You can mix them in jojoba oil to make a milder mixture. Using them in a candle burner or baths will be a wonderful way of using them, sunnyhope. BUT please do your research before using them because every oil is potent in it's own way, and some oils are not recommended at all for example during pregnancy or some medical conditions. I don't think any of the oils you mentioned are in that group, but better safe than sorry :)

Here
(http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoils/default.asp) is a good place to visit for more information :)

iansmommaya
February 23rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
could you tell us the brand? vanilla essential oil (really an absolute) is terribly expensive. you might have bought a vanilla fragrance oil.

have you tried diluting them in a carrier oil? almond, olive, joboba wax all work really well. then you can use them in a bath or try mixing them with a nice salt for a salt bath.

Mannaz
February 23rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
Silly me, I didn't realize you were the OP sunnyhope because for some reason I can see your signature picture only in your second post...

I agree with iansmommaya, check that the oil really is essential oil. Mandarin would be a good choice to mix in the sheabutter, althoug the smell of it is pretty hard to mask.

sunnyhope
February 23rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
I'll repeat the question exentricat asked: what are going to do with them?

Essential oils are usually not meant to be used "straight", because they really are VERY concentrated, and some of them, like cinnamon can be irritating to skin ( I know this from a burning experience...). In other hand, lavender should be safe to use straight for example to soothe a pimple or an insect bite.

You can mix them in jojoba oil to make a milder mixture. Using them in a candle burner or baths will be a wonderful way of using them, sunnyhope. BUT please do your research before using them because every oil is potent in it's own way, and some oils are not recommended at all for example during pregnancy or some medical conditions. I don't think any of the oils you mentioned are in that group, but better safe than sorry :)

Here
(http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoils/default.asp)is a good place to visit for more information :)

i did put what i was going to use them for and no i wouldnt use them straigh on the skin as i know that is dangerous or can be anyway.
i did read up on each one of them before i bought them.....

sunnyhope
February 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
could you tell us the brand? vanilla essential oil (really an absolute) is terribly expensive. you might have bought a vanilla fragrance oil.

have you tried diluting them in a carrier oil? almond, olive, joboba wax all work really well. then you can use them in a bath or try mixing them with a nice salt for a salt bath.

the vanilla and frangipani are fragrance oils i see but thats fine i just wanted the smell anyways but they smell way to strong in the bottle and the frangi pani smells very different from my frangipani lotion and oil i have from elemis which i dont understand why..........

sunnyhope
February 23rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Silly me, I didn't realize you were the OP sunnyhope because for some reason I can see your signature picture only in your second post...

I agree with iansmommaya, check that the oil really is essential oil. Mandarin would be a good choice to mix in the sheabutter, althoug the smell of it is pretty hard to mask.

i think the reason is i just figured out how to add my signature picture, i thought it would be practical when i ask people about advice about my hair that they easily could see how my hair looks like and so on.....

Mannaz
February 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
i think the reason is i just figured out how to add my signature picture, i thought it would be practical when i ask people about advice about my hair that they easily could see how my hair looks like and so on.....

Yeah, sorry for the for the mix up!

Anje
February 23rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Dilute them in a carrier oil (coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, whatever you like).

Be a bit cautious with getting them on your skin undiluted, particularly the cinnamon. It can cause burns.

sunnyhope
February 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Yeah, sorry for the for the mix up!

no problem at all:)