PDA

View Full Version : Tight bunned mean ladies (and gents!) club

Pages : [1] 2

shrimp
June 11th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Thought it was time to resurrect this from the old boards as I was just accused of being 'Miss Jean Broadie'. Apparently the combination of the very effective look I gave over my glasses and 'my hair back like that' means I 'should consider setting up a finishing school' :lol: Glasses and the bun are the norm, must have been the look that really nailed it.

So where did all my sisters in tight buns get to on this new-fangled board?

Lady Godiva
June 11th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Awesome! I'm still in. ;)

For a trip down hardcore memory lane, here's the original thread:

:twisted: Tight bunned mean ladies club thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31943) :twisted:

:demon:

Xandergrammy
June 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I'm here too! The look over the glasses is definitely what nails it. :gabigrin:

Liluri
June 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I'm still in! Even my Mii has a tight bun ;)

Miss Murphy
June 11th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I'd like to play, too! I'm mean, I'm bunned, I'm ready to look over my glasses! :laugh:

For me, wearing my hair down means putting it in a ponytail :silly:

Any other requirements I ought to know of? Do I need to sign something, or pledge on some Amish pins?

shrimp
June 11th, 2008, 07:51 AM
*looks guilty* yeah, the buns aren't tight anymore (whispy, baby hairs and loose), but the attitude remains :eyebrows:

And let's face it, it's the attitude that makes the lady :whip:

FrannyG
June 11th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Oh, I'm so happy that we're back together. I have to admit I'm only in the club about half of them time; I have a soft alter ego as well. There's nothing--and I mean nothing that nails it more than the look over the glasses. It's enough to make a professional boxer run and hide. :)

The Miss Jean Brodie comment truly cracked me up! :rollin:

shrimp
June 11th, 2008, 07:56 AM
(Sadly it's not the first time this particular person has made that association either. Must not use the 'teacher look' on poor defenceless friends... much :wink:)

Lady Godiva
June 11th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Any other requirements I ought to know of? Do I need to sign something, or pledge on some Amish pins?
Just join the thread and then build a don't-mess-with-me attitude for judgmental people who claim that buns and updos aren't real hairstyles and that we *should* "soften" our looks with a haircut and/or perm, because, ya know, we're here to decorate their worlds.*

*thank you, Carolyn, for this term. :thumbsup:

:dreams of the day I wear pointy glasses: ;)

florenonite
June 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I don't have glasses with which to glare at people, but I do bun my hair most days (it's down today, as I think I'm just staying in, so it should be safe), and I don't see why there's anything wrong with me doing so. Can I join?

Queenie
June 11th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Count me in!

I tried to wear a ponytail yesterday but I ended up going back to the standard tight bun because it looked weird :lol:

DBF actually likes the mean librarian look, and claims a lot of men do. Probably because of the take-off-your-glasses, shake-out-your-hair and turn-into-vampy-lady cliché :gabigrin:

Anybody know how to gracefully get out four to six Amish hairpins first? :wink:

Miss Murphy
June 11th, 2008, 08:16 AM
<snip>

Anybody know how to gracefully get out four to six Amish hairpins first? :wink:

Umm, maybe with a magnet? :ponder:

Finoriel
June 11th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Oh I´m so glad that THE club is back :D great idea shrimp!
Hope I´m allowed to be with, as I do not need glasses yet (except sunnglasses) and sometimes wear my hair down :p in a braid... but I think I´m mean enough to compensate that and I love to wear an as_sleek_as_possible-bun.
Soften my look? Well - :draw:who wants to tell me that?
:eyebrows:
Count me in! :D

Altocumulus
June 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I'm in! How's this?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/2569837325_5c99fae660_m.jpg

Miss Murphy
June 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I'm in! How's this?

Thight and mean and bunned! :D

harpgal
June 11th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Well, I wear reading glasses and a braided bun, most days. I've always wondered why no one messes with me. :ponder:

So I'm in.

wimsey
June 11th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I'm in, too! My growing out bangs finally catch and hold in my buns, so I can join now. :)

doodlesmart
June 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Tight bun...check! Mean...check! Glasses...no check. Can I still play?

Xandergrammy
June 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Tight bun...check! Mean...check! Glasses...no check. Can I still play?

Glasses are an optional accessory. You can definitely be tight bunned and mean without glasses, so you're in! :thumbsup:

Celtic Queen
June 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Tight-bunned (my friends repeatedly tell me I should let my hair down more often, but I just shake my head and say it'll damage my ends ;) ), with glasses, and definitely with the mean look over the eyeglasses when the situation calls for it. I may be 4'8'', but don't mess with me!

AJoifulNoise
June 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Ohoh, I'm in! I wear my buns in a tight, don't mess with me sorta way. And when I did wear glasses I had a look that could stop anyone in their tracks. I still do, but it was far more dramatic with the glasses!

Phalaenopsis
June 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I don't have glasses, but I like the tight bun look on myself :) And with this wether, I could wear sunglasses together with a bun :cool:

CurlyNinja
June 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I'm tight bun-and-contact-lenses here some days.

Hmm...maybe I should wear my glasses those days and try to rock this look. I do think it can be pretty sexy!

Eden Iris
June 11th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I think I am one of you! Tight bun, oh yes, glasses, every day, mean look, when warranted. The wispy baby hairs are trying to make me all soft and pre-Raphaelite, but they are no match for the glasses and the look.

DMARTINEZ
June 11th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Im in. :lol: Love me some buns! And I was born mean. Not really,but it sounded good.

Deb

FrannyG
June 11th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I'm in! How's this?

This is very good, but you're still young and I think you have to work on the meanness level. Your eyes are far too soft. :)

Tight-bunned (my friends repeatedly tell me I should let my hair down more often, but I just shake my head and say it'll damage my ends ;) ), with glasses, and definitely with the mean look over the eyeglasses when the situation calls for it. I may be 4'8'', but don't mess with me!

Height is not a requirement. No one messes with the Tight Bunned Mean Ladies. :nono:

Im in. :lol: Love me some buns! And I was born mean. Not really,but it sounded good.

Deb

That really made me laugh! :rollin:

Tabitha
June 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Yep that's me ... naturally dour-looking features, and I need reading glasses so add a bun to the mix and I'm there!

Currently wearing my hair up and my glasses every time I catch the bus, as I had an argument with a bus driver recently (he was rude to me!) when I was wearing my hair long and no glasses, this is my "disguise" in case I run into that same busdriver again :oops:

AJoifulNoise
June 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I also want to mention another criteria for my joining. All my life I've been told to "smile, you looks so serious all the time!" I'm not serious, this is my content face!

systemaurora
June 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Count me in!

I tried to wear a ponytail yesterday but I ended up going back to the standard tight bun because it looked weird :lol:

DBF actually likes the mean librarian look, and claims a lot of men do. Probably because of the take-off-your-glasses, shake-out-your-hair and turn-into-vampy-lady cliché :gabigrin:

So THAT'S why. =P I always wondered. I guess I'm in too, even though I don't always wear glasses. ^_^

FrannyG
June 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I also want to mention another criteria for my joining. All my life I've been told to "smile, you looks so serious all the time!" I'm not serious, this is my content face!
Oh, you are soooo in!!! :grin:

florenonite
June 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM

My mum does this to me! If I'm not smiling I look 'dour' as Tabitha said, according to my mum :p

Isilya
June 11th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I want in too :) I don't really know what we'll do here, but I've got:
- the buns
- the Don't-Mess-With-Me Look
- the Who-Do-You-Think-You-Are Look (I get lots of comments on it)
- default facial expression = stern (Me: I'm not mad, I'm just not smiling)

Kirin
June 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
haha okay I'm in, I have that look down pat. My hair is still not very long, but I can tight bun it in a scrunchie when need be (and is often!) and I have glasses the days I don't wear ye ol' contacts.

Don't forget to slightly scrunchle the nose with the look, and purse those lips a bit so the color lightly drains out of them...... my husband sees "the look" and hightails it outta there.

Nightshade
June 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'm in, I have my hair up every day at work, and I teach :twisted: I often wear my contacts as glasses are a pain under safety glasses, though.

I just remember from the first thread someone asked, "How do I know if my bun is too tight?"

To which I responded, "When your ears meet in the back of your head, you may want to loosen it up a little."

Or something to that effect, anyway :lol:

Lady Godiva
June 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Let's not forget our matron saint Dame Maggie Smith, as Professor McGonagall in the Harry Potter movies and as the shrill, tight-arsed Mrs. Medlock from The Secret Garden.

Maggie Smith, we sit at your feet. :p

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00455/SNN19223GA_455189a.jpg
http://rebeccastudio.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/maggiesmith.jpg
http://www.leninimports.com/maggie_smith_gallery_9.jpg

Phalaenopsis
June 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I don't have to look mean, apparently I already do that without wanting it, just because I frown when I'm thinking. I think it's due to my dark, big eyebrows.

BlueMeezer
June 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'll join in this time. My kids got a big kick out of the "tight bunned mean ladies club" last time around. Now when they start to act up I'll say "Don't make me put my hair in a bun!" :whip: :D

AJoifulNoise
June 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Now when they start to act up I'll say "Don't make me put my hair in a bun!" :whip: :D

Mwhaha... I'm going to remember that one!!

Eden Iris
June 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Oh, HAAATE the people who say things like that. It's sexist, presumptuous, rude, and ... I suppose this is just further evidence of my severe-looking, tight-bun-wearing tendencies.

Celtic Queen
June 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Let's not forget our matron saint Dame Maggie Smith, as Professor McGonagall in the Harry Potter movies and as the shrill, tight-arsed Mrs. Medlock from The Secret Garden.

Giggle. In my former workplace, I was one of several young reserachers invited to give talks by a group of senior researchers who call themselves the "Jurassic society" :D . They always open their brochures with pics of them as babies , so I finished my talk by saying something like,

"and since the members of this society have been kind enough to share young pictures of themselves, I have to share a picture of myself in a few years forward..." and switched to a pic of McGonnagal. Everyone, specially those who know me and my Harry Potter obsession, went laughing :D

Tabitha
June 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM

An annoying variant of this that I've had more than once is "Cheer up, it might never happen!" :hatchet:

AJoifulNoise
June 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
An annoying variant of this that I've had more than once is "Cheer up, it might never happen!" :hatchet:

Sometimes I just have to laugh. Because when I am having a grand old time in public- smiling, laughing, and sometimes dancing- I get the strangest looks. Some people actually run away. Make up your minds people! :lol:

CurlyNinja
June 11th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hah! I just remembered another quality I have that others may share who belong to this club:

the big pointy nose, perfect for enhancing that stern look and mean glasses look.

Ohio Sky
June 11th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Well, backwards from most people asking if they can join, I have the glasses and the mean look, but the buns just arent as tight as I would like them to be...

Wait, what were we talking about?

Unofficial_Rose
June 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
*Waves* I'm a recent convert to the tight bun & specs look at work. Interestingly, I've discovered no-one ever bothers me when I wear this. And I never get treated like a bimbo this way.

If I take my hair down, people stop by for a chat...

Must look pretty mean avec bun & specs, no? Perfect for those "For the love of God please don't talk to me" days :p

Dianyla
June 11th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Ooh! It's back! :hollie:

Though I'm not sure I really qualify. My bun is more of a loose-low-rider than a high-and-tight, and I'm far from being a lady. :flasher:

I've certainly got the mean part covered, though! :twisted:

FrannyG
June 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Ooh! It's back!

Though I'm not sure I really qualify. My bun is more of a loose-low-rider than a high-and-tight, and I'm far from being a lady.

I've certainly got the mean part covered, though!

I can't vouch that each and every one of us is a "lady" in the true sense of the word. However, most of us can send a grown man to tears with just one look, and he'll invariably say, "Look at what that mean lady did!".

So, I'd say most definitively--you're in! :D

j4zzin
June 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Oh, I want to join! I usually wear contacts, but I also have awesome, severe, dark plastic, oval glasses I wear sometimes. I also wear a super-tight bun with a pointy red knitting needle stuck in it nearly every day. It's true, customers give me a lot less B.S. at work when I show up looking this way versus when I come in wearing a cute soft braid or ponytail.

Apparently my default expression isn't very happy either. My managers always tell me I need to smile more. :/

ladystar
June 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I am in I wear glasses and tight bun's yay!!! :cheese:

morgwn
June 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I definitely wear my hair in a bun or a french twist nearly every day, firmly pulled off my face. My black glasses give me the 'very professional' look (along with the fact that I'm quite a serious person and have a very dry sense of humour) and I can't think of one person who's EVER thought of me as a 'dumb blonde'. :D I think I'm in on this one. :)

Wind Dragon
June 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm back! :gabigrin:

I'd actually cut some bits in front with the idea of softening my bunned look, but I don't like it most days. Can't wait 'til I can keep it all pulled back with just one toy again; so far it usually requires two to keep those bits in place.

And I still get told to "smile!" when I'm already smiling. Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

Kiraela
June 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I have lots of whispy baby hairs, I've got the tight buns, glasses, and the natural 'eat your brain for breakfast' look. Rarely smile unless I feel there's something to smile about.

I always used to get accused of being grumpy or angry, simply since unless I'm really happy, my face reverts to 'neutral', which apparently comes across as evil. :( My senior year, people called me 'that satan girl' behind my back.

my actual "you have three seconds to run..." look has even backed my own mother down once or twice, I think. And not much does that, she'd fit right in if I could convince her to grow her hair long enough to bun it.

Do I fit in, or do I need to wait a few years, LOL?

Tapioca
June 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Oh, I'm in again. Tight bun? Check. Glasses? Kinda check. Contacts. Look that can wither stone? Check. I used to substitute teach. And I worked in a library. And now I do accounting.

And if we're honoring McGonagall, we can't forget Granny Weatherwax.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/Tapioca_Rat/granny.jpg
(Although I find myself more and more of a Nanny Ogg.)

Altocumulus
June 11th, 2008, 04:30 PM
This is very good, but you're still young and I think you have to work on the meanness level. Your eyes are far too soft. :)

LOL..I just wasn't feeling the meanness right then. I'm a terrible actor! I'll try to get another picture the next time someone steps on my foot on the subway.

FrannyG
June 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
LOL..I just wasn't feeling the meanness right then. I'm a terrible actor! I'll try to get another picture the next time someone steps on my foot on the subway.

Yes, Altocumulus, I could tell you just weren't feelin' it. You can't fool a fellow Tight Bunned Mean Lady. And of course I'm a mother. :)

tomm
June 11th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I would love to join (and I even have the optional glasses), but alas I fail one of the criteria for membership. Perhaps I could at least be a member-in-spirit?

Since I began wearing my hair up in a bun, I have never heard so much as one negative or derisive comment, laugh, or unsolicited suggestion that I get my hair cut. I choose to think that it is due to the (usually) tight bun and to my naturally severe look. But it may be due to the fact I have a 5 inch long piece of metal stuck in my hair - I appear to be the only person in North Fulton County who knows what a hair stick is.

Altocumulus
June 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Yes, Altocumulus, I could tell you just weren't feelin' it. You can't fool a fellow Tight Bunned Mean Lady. And of course I'm a mother. :)

So does that mean you have eyes in the back of your head like I do? They don't show at all in your siggy pic...

FrannyG
June 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM
So does that mean you have eyes in the back of your head like I do? They don't show at all in your siggy pic...

Why yes, I do. They are very well camouflaged, as I'm sure yours are. :wink: Do you also have traveling eyes that aren't even attached to your body like I do?

FrannyG
June 11th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I would love to join (and I even have the optional glasses), but alas I fail one of the criteria for membership. Perhaps I could at least be a member-in-spirit?

Since I began wearing my hair up in a bun, I have never heard so much as one negative or derisive comment, laugh, or unsolicited suggestion that I get my hair cut. I choose to think that it is due to the (usually) tight bun and to my naturally severe look. But it may be due to the fact I have a 5 inch long piece of metal stuck in my hair - I appear to be the only person in North Fulton County who knows what a hair stick is.

Tomm, every group needs an honorary member. My vote is that you're in. We'll have to check with the other Mean Ladies though. :)

CatPower
June 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Tight bun? CHECK! Thick rimmed glasses? CHECK! Look that can turn people to stone? DOUBLE-CHECK! :)

thetokenlady
June 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Let's see...hair bunned almost every day, yep. Glasses for looking over, check. And the look that makes Tokenman say, "shuttin' up now."

Yeah, I'm in.

Teilani
June 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I am going to aim for an associate or friend of status until my hair is long enough to go back up in the buns it was so often put in. Fond memories of some classroom debates in college involve successful interruptions in trains of thought and speech with a well aimed glare over my glasses frames to people making asinine propositions. That warning expression combined with the correct gait occasionally manages to get me through more crowded areas without much in the way of jostling too.

Rini
June 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Oooh yes me!! Now that my fringe is all grown out, it goes in the bun too :cheese:

So I'm really SEVERE looking now!! And my reading glasses help with the authoritative look :o

DecafJane
June 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Hooray, me too! I'm in with all three. :D

lookingglass
June 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I often do the "severe look" with a tight bun (rope rose is my current fave, side parted), dark plum glasses, and I can be percieved as mean! I got told last week by a co-worker that I have that my "look has that smart librarian thing going on...but still really cool".;)

trolleypup
June 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Ooh! It's back! :hollie:

Though I'm not sure I really qualify. My bun is more of a loose-low-rider than a high-and-tight, and I'm far from being a lady. :flasher:

I've certainly got the mean part covered, though! :twisted:
Ummm...it only looks loose until you realize just how much hair is in there.

Men's Auxiliary Member reporting in. Mean: check! able to reduce men, women and children to tears with a look. I get called "sir" a lot...does that count for being a Gentleman? Tight: I can still blink, unless I crank another turn into my lazy bun.[1] I'll admit that I am rather less mean and cranky than I used to be, since I am in a less stressful position.

[1] Sexy? I dunno, but pulling the stick drops my hair all the way down.

Gladtobemom
June 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/GTBM-CinBun-20061220.jpg

The, regular, bun.

Dianyla
June 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
[1] Sexy? I dunno, but pulling the stick drops my hair all the way down.
Pull for Sexy! :crush:

*pulls*

Rain
June 12th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I don't even need a bun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/bluecelt/hair/th_l_325cdf624621421696e820a8d8221609.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/bluecelt/hair/l_325cdf624621421696e820a8d8221609.jpg)

I wasn't in a bad mood. I was just focusing on what I was doing. I get told to smile a lot. It makes me cranky. I've been hearing it for as long as I can remember so it's annoying but also...if you want me to smile, maybe you could do something amusing or say something funny. "Things aren't that bad! Come on, smile!" is irritating. Sorry my face isn't arranged in a perpetually jolly way. :rolleyes:

Uh, not that I'm bitter. :whistle:

paradoxx
June 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I have the tight bun. I don't have reading glasses, but I DO have mirrorshades, so I can be a mean cyberpunk librarian. :twisted:

renarok
June 12th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I'm in. I can do this real well.

Dianyla
June 12th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I don't even need a bun.
:misskim:

This photo of me was taken by the exManFriend. Probably right after he said something incredibly boorish. :lol:

http://diane.rokatek.com/hair/bitchface.jpg

Isilya
June 12th, 2008, 12:38 AM

Tomm, every group needs an honorary member. My vote is that you're in. We'll have to check with the other Mean Ladies though. :)

Well, the mean thing to say would be no, of course ;)

But I'll vote for 'in' too :)

Dianyla
June 12th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Well, the mean thing to say would be no, of course ;)

But I'll vote for 'in' too :)
I updated the thread title. :)

Isilya
June 12th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Hehehe... Excellent *taps fingers in Mr Burns-kind of way*

Dianyla
June 12th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Hehehe... Excellent *taps fingers in Mr Burns-kind of way*
I'd like to think that Mr. Burns would have been a great honorary member of this club!

http://www.nolandgrab.org/images/Mr-Burns-Excellent.jpg

Saoirse
June 12th, 2008, 12:47 AM

This photo of me was taken by the exManFriend. Probably right after he said something incredibly boorish. :lol:

Operative word being ex, right? :D

Dianyla
June 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Operative word being ex, right? :D
Bwahahaha! :twisted:

Oh... I'm sure trolleypup's seen the look once or twice. "What?! You forgot to bring the mochi!?" :eek:

Riot Crrl
June 12th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I can bring home the bacon. Fry it up in a pan.

All hail Dame Maggie.

trolleypup
June 12th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Bwahahaha! :twisted:

Oh... I'm sure trolleypup's seen the look once or twice. "What?! You forgot to bring the mochi!?" :eek:
*mew* *peeks out of under one paw*

Once or twice.

I will note that there are already mochi in the house now...

morgwn
June 12th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Eeeexcellent, Smithers! :D

Marij
June 12th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I'm not even going to ask for permission to join, that's how mean I am! :D
My avatar pic could be meaner though... :eyebrows: But I think I need a bit of help from more experienced mean ladies for the perfect tight bun,I always get a too fluffy result!! Aaaarghh!:taz:

Queenie
June 12th, 2008, 02:42 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-pictures-happy-faced-lion.jpg

Isilya
June 12th, 2008, 02:46 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-pictures-happy-faced-lion.jpg

:rollin: Too bad he can't bun his mane :)

AprilElf
June 12th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Oh! Now I can't wait to pick up my glasses tomorrow (after having new lenses put in ), and put on my best serious face. :eyebrows:

These days my hair is almost always pulled back tightly and bunned. I usually wear contacts but now that I've had my current prescription put in my old glasses, I might just have to wear them more often to have fun with the image.

AJoifulNoise said:

All my life I've been told to "smile, you looks so serious all the time!" I'm not serious, this is my content face!And Tabitha said:

An annoying variant of this that I've had more than once is "Cheer up, it might never happen!"Oh, I so relate! And it peeves me no end ... :mad:
I have been known to scare younger members of the staff at work, without even having spoken to them, because of my serious face and the fact that I'm naturally very quiet.

I guess I was born to be a Tight Bunned Mean Lady (Elf). :o

FrannyG
June 12th, 2008, 03:41 AM
AprilElf, have you ever had a stranger come say to you, "It can't be that bad."? :rolleyes: That's an another annoying variant of the lines you quoted. I always feel even meaner after that one. :whip:

I'm very happy that we have a Mean Tight-Bunned Elf now too!

Marij, wow, you really are mean! ;)

k_hepburn
June 12th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I'm doing the tight bunning, but I'm afraid I fail miserably at shooting mean looks at anybody. I really wish I could - it must come in handy! But alas, I'm pretty much certifiably harmless looking. I've had it occur to me several times when going through customs that the people around me, which were roughly my age group, would get checked out thoroughly, then, the customs officers barely cast me a glance to wave me through. Yes, I know that's convenient, but I've always felt slightly offended for not being considered even a remotely possible risk.

Sigh

katharine

Velvettt
June 12th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Yup, Mean Lady checking in. Here's my list of answers to those things:
You always look so serious.
(replying in monotone) Life. Is. Serious. (followed by The Look)

Can't you smile for once?
(baring teeth in threatening way) Like this?

Hey! It's not that bad, is it?
How can you say that after what happened? (walk quickly away)

And on days when I really AM in a bad mood--
So I can look like you?

AprilElf
June 12th, 2008, 04:42 AM
FrannyG said:

AprilElf, have you ever had a stranger come say to you, "It can't be that bad."?Ah yes, that is extremely familiar (just makes me want to growl at them). My dad gets it too - must be genetically predisposed ...

Velvettt said:

Can't you smile for once?
(baring teeth in threatening way) Like this?Ooooh, I like that one. I shall try and remember to use it next time! :eyebrows:

Toadstool
June 12th, 2008, 05:00 AM

Wow Dianyla you even look cool when you're hiking!

Poppy Seed
June 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM

My sister has the look down pat too...at 4'8 3/4" she feels she needs it! And she has the glasses, and the slicked back hair (although not a bun - just a tail).

I have the bun, everyday with a stick. And an 'angry' face when just concentrating. But no glasses.
Can I join? (I can reduce toddlers to tears simply by walking past! And no-one messes with me at work...)

Mitzy
June 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Glasses since I was 12. Current mode, purple wire rims. Check.
Hair long enough to bun for the last 6 months or so. Check.
The ability to take your dole payment away should you seriously annoy me (or at least to make you believe I have that ability). Check and Check.

A co-worker today told me to smile as she went up the stairs.
I looked her pixie head straight in the eye and said, No.

Can I join?

mira-chan
June 12th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Long time member rejoining. :D
No glasses but I substitute those with a lab coat. I've been told that I look angry/ unapproachable when concentrating on something and have been asked to smile. My neutral face is not that friendly looking. Scary look/glare, perfected.

Celtic Queen
June 12th, 2008, 07:43 AM
My sister has the look down pat too...at 4'8 3/4" she feels she needs it! And she has the glasses, and the slicked back hair (although not a bun - just a tail).

Tell her to come here ;)
Oh, once, I was "delegated" to represent my team for a claim defense... Usually, I do not look that threatening, and I was the youngest of our group. The client started to focus their attack on me...
:D
What they did not know is that my dad is a claim specialist, and had drilled me beforehand ; and I /am/ known, in tough situations, to be about as cool as ice. Seeing their faces fall when they realized that not only they had picked the wrong target, but that my answers, by pointing out their mistakes, was making /them/ look bad...
Priceless!

kwaniesiam
June 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I want to join! Can I be an honorary member until I can actually get all my hair back into a bun? :silly: I like having shorter layers hanging out of updos sometimes, but really when you get down to it, they're too messy. I'd rather have it all slicked back and join the ranks of the tight bunned mean ladies ;)

Islandgrrl
June 12th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Applying for membership.

I have the bun.
I have the glasses - I just hope the leopard print frames don't disqualify me.
I totally have the look. Even when I'm happy or just thinking I have the look. But really, I'm smiling on the INSIDE! Well, most of the time anyway.

florenonite
June 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I was told, yet again today, whilst wearing my bun, not to scowl D:< I'm not scowling, I'm just not smiling!

ETA: I also just put on my wee sister's glasses to see what I looked like in them, and with the bun all I had left to do was emphasize my scowl. Perfect! Now, if only I actually needed glasses ...

aprilmay
June 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I have been teased about wanting to wear my hair in a bun because supposedly that is an old lady hairstyle.

Kiraela
June 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I just thought I'd give a small demonstration of my 'evil glare'. This is pretty much the "You're trying to be that irritating, aren't you? Go away or I will bite you. Severely." version of it. If I actually smile sweetly while looking at people like this, they tend to think their lives are in danger. Hooray for heavy eyebrows, I guess. :)?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=703&pictureid=14648

Xandergrammy
June 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Okay, here's mine. I actually scared my DH this morning when I asked him to take this picture. I had to tell him that I wasn't directing this look at him- it's the look I reserve for work when my cherubs don't want to behave (My cherubs are all over the age of 18). This is my "Sit down, shut up and listen to what I have to say" look. :wannabe:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The&#37;20Next%20One%20Thousand/DSCN2296.jpg

Kiraela
June 13th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Xandergrammy, if you glared at me like that I would most certainly behave!

morgwn
June 13th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Now, if only I actually needed glasses ...

Be careful what you wish for! :lol: I used to have perfect 20/20 vision and just back a couple summers ago my eyesight started going fuzzy and I had to get them. I was told it's probably from staring at a computer screen a lot. So... you never know; you may find that you need them in a few years time.

FrannyG
June 13th, 2008, 06:35 AM
:rollin: Xandergrammy, you're the best!!!! You've got it down, girl!:rollin:

Gladtobemom
June 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Oh Xandergrammy,

I could never ever tell you a fib. Do you, by any chance, teach math?

Xandergrammy
June 13th, 2008, 07:40 AM
You guys are funny! No, I don't teach math. I work in a drug and alcohol rehab.

FrannyG
June 13th, 2008, 07:43 AM

And you've been a mommy. And you are a grammy. All of that will definitely teach you how to give the look! :)

Gladtobemom
June 13th, 2008, 09:51 AM

So, does this mean you are momming ALL the time. That would do it. You must be goooood!

Granny (sort of my great grandma) used to say that you could really tell when a grandma "had the power" because she could even get a the dog to stop in its track with the "Look" She always wore her hair in a snug bun at the nape of her neck. Her hair was snow white and she kept it about BSL.

I remember when I was little and we would stay for a few days with her, she would just come down the stairs, give us all "the look" and say, "I looked in those rooms upstairs." We'd all stampede upstairs and straighten things up in a hurry! (Grownups included!) She had that magic power--you just did not mess with her or ever play dumb like you didn't know what she really expectied.

(Of course Granny raised 16 kids of her own, 11 that she took in during WWII, and even raised a bunch of her grandkids too. When she was 93, she decided to give up the house and move into a seniors high rise where some of her friends lived. She got so bored after a couple of months that she took a JOB looking after a 66 yo. woman, making her meals, and helping her in the mornings.

And she was soo straight forward. She had a signup calendar on her wall, If you wanted to come visit, or schedule something with her, you had to call and make an appointment. She liked visitors, but not in big bunches, and not unexpected; she wanted to be dressed, have her hair combed, and some iced tea made. She gave up having big gatherings when she turned 80, divided up the holidays between other family members and said that now it was time for her to be the guest.

She was Uncle Howard's Mom (actually his stepmom but the only mom he knew) (Uncle Howard was Nanny Pauline's Husband). She could make everybody laugh their butts off. She could also walk into a family event that had turned disorganized and somehow after a few of her "mentionings" everybody was doing constructive stuff and it would come together. She really had the touch.

She told me once that the key to motherhood was to, "Give them direction, then follow behind and make sure they follow through. Make them think you know EVERYTHING that's going and that you are EVERYWHERE. When they get older, if you don't really know, they think you're just giving them rope to hang themselves. Training up the heathens in this family is not for the timid."

I sort of thinkof her as the ultimate "tight bunned mean lady."

I called her when my oldest was 16, I was in tears because he told me he hated me and slammed his door in my face. She told me, "Dry it up sweetie. If he hasn't said I hate you by the time he's this age, you're not doin' it right. Put your face on, don't say a word to him. Go get a screwdriver and a hammer. Take his door off the hinges and put it in the barn. When he bellyaches, and he will, just tell him that his actions have consequences--and don't tell him how much or how long. Write up something that tells him that his disrespectful behavior has convinced you that you've done a bad job. So you have to start over on his decisionmaking. Pull out 7 year old rules and tell him that you've got to work your way back up and figure out what was missed. You and his dad sign it and discuss it with him at the table. He'll scream like he's been shot with an arrow. If you give in . . . you'll ruin him for life. It should take him a LONG time to earn that door back and get back his priviledges and responsibilities. Pass out his grownup chores like using the mower to his younger brothers, tell him you just can't trust him with such a task. And of course he can't drive. Give in and you WILL ruin him . . . he has to learn that he's not leader of the pack."

Sorry for the rambling, just remembering. She died in 2003, at 103. The day she died, she made snickerdoodles and played bridge, she took a nap in her chair and just didn't wake up. I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd like to go like that. Her name was Rose.

morgwn
June 13th, 2008, 09:59 AM
She died in 2003, at 103. The day she died, she made snickerdoodles and played bridge, she took a nap in her chair and just didn't wake up. I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd like to go like that. Her name was Rose.

Wow. Just... wow. What a strong woman!

I do hope to either go like that or, even better in my book, out in the world having an adventure when I'm getting up further in years. :D

aprilmay
June 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I wear sunglasses and a tight bun and sometimes I am mean to customers, does that count?

Celtic Queen
June 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hats off to Granny Rose... May her memory keep vivid and beloved like this, and her tried-and-true techniques true, LOL!

betsala
June 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM
i would like to submit myself for consideration.
here is my standard look:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1208&pictureid=14732
but when i'm very cross, you might see this look:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1208&pictureid=14733

Mitzy
June 13th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I don't see any pics, betsala.:confused:

Kibeth
June 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I'm applying for membership again too. The hair is always in a bun - my idea of "hair down" is in a tight braid down my back. I've had the glasses since I was 10 and I've been asked to smile before because I looked mad (I was just reading, minding my own business).

Medievalhair
June 13th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I would like to join as well.
The look- check
glasses- none
Hair long enough to bun- check

Poppy Seed
June 14th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Gladtobemom: Here's to Granny Rose! (I had an 'Aunt' like that, not as old, and never a mother but the same vibrancy and outlook on life. The sort of person others look up to, and never forget.)

Celtic Queen: Hoorah! I always tell people to look out for the little ones...they have the biggest and most unexpected teeth! (I'm not that large myself, almost 5'3").

Xandergrammy: your LOOK scares the bejeezus out of me - and *I* know I have a clean conscience....

Gladtobemom
June 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I told DH about this club and he actually donkey laughed (Hee Haw, Hee Haw). He said I have the the tight bunned thing down pat, but my "look" needs work. He says I'm a compulsive smiler. Here's his proof. (In this picture he was telling us to frown. fyi: freshly hennaed hair)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/Family&#37;20Stuff/MomZoe.jpg

On the other hand, I CAN do mean. I've overheard my students call me "She who must be obeyed." (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=11970) I have never ever given an incomplete or a makeup exam in 25 years of teaching--And I haven't curved a test in at least 14 years. Does that qualify?

P.S. DS is bummed because he's not in it, so:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/Family%20Stuff/LeeAnnDavidZoe-1.jpg

This is pretty much what I look like most days. DH wanted the picture with my hair up because he says it's how he sees me most.

WritingPrincess
June 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
May I join?
Snug bun at nape of neck almost every day: Check.
Glasses: No check.
Mean Look: no check. In fact, I smile most of the time. So I probably don't qualify. Oh, well.

Alaia
June 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Did I join this before? I can't remember and I can't be bothered to wade through and look right now. (Midnight, anyone?)

Either way. I want to join now. Verily, my hair remains in a bun most of the time, and while I don't have glasses (yet, I need to see the optician), I certainly have a mean enough look that nobody wants to look me in the eye (but that could just be that I live in London :p).

;)

Alethia
June 14th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I am a witchy woman!! I hang out herbs to dry in bundles on my washing line (last week it was oregano, marjoram and comfrey) and I have fine hair that wriggles out of buns unless coiled tightly. I'm in!

Mely
June 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I'd like to join too:
tight bun: check
glasses: check

As for the meaness--I teach math--that probably qualifies me. :mad:

Xandergrammy
June 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
So, does this mean you are momming ALL the time. That would do it. You must be goooood!

Sorry for the rambling, just remembering. She died in 2003, at 103. The day she died, she made snickerdoodles and played bridge, she took a nap in her chair and just didn't wake up. I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd like to go like that. Her name was Rose.

Yes, I guess I AM "momming" all the time. To about 60 young'uns of all ages. It helps keep me sharp, :rollin:

Rose sounds like a treasure. That's definitely the way I want to go.... comfy, in a favorite spot, taking a nap......

socks
June 15th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Mind if I join? I keep my hair in a toightly coiled bun at all times and I'm prone to glaring at people over the rims of my glasses. Even my neutral expression is a bit on the severe side. :mad:

FrannyG
June 15th, 2008, 09:25 AM
It takes great talent and skill to be a tight bunned mean lady at the age of 18, socks. Excellent work! :thumbsup:

lady G
June 16th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I would love to join this club when my hair is long enough to bun:( sadly I have a while to wait, currently at past chin length bob:)

morgwn
June 16th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Heh. Franny, I was told by age 12 that I needed to stop scowling. Which usually just made me scowl further that I was being reprimanded about my facial expressions.

Isilya
June 16th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Today I remembered the first evidence of me being capable of scaring and intimidating kids, just by looking at them.

Once, when I was still in high school, I was walking in the hallway when I bumped into someone. I turned around to see who it was and to apologize and the boy (about 13 years old) looked backed at me, saw the default expression on my face, stammered an apology and practically ran off :rolleyes:

Igor
June 16th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Can I join?

Just stick this bun…
http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Bun19A.jpg

…in the back of my head when I have this look…
http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Bangs.JPG

…on my face

This look is somewhere between my neutral and slightly irritated look :wink:

Being told by random strangers that I should smile more? Check
And yep, I have two pairs of glasses but I really prefer my lenses. Black or metal-grey glasses to join the club? Don’t think I have any new pictures of them though

Can I join? :eyebrows:

morgwn
June 16th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Igor, many people would find your bun alone intimidating! :D

And when I had worn my classic bun with sticks, I've had someone say before that my sticks looked like weapons I would use if someone ticked me off. :twisted:

JessTheMess
June 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM
intimidates me!!!! My buns usually look like a little turd on the back of my head hahaha!!
I get told to smile almost every day, or I get asked if I'm okay? I'm usually just in a zone when I'm walking when it happens. Guess I should smile more? Although I don't have glasses I usually have to squint to see something (I need glasses) Maybe the squinting makes people feel like I am frowning at them?:mad:

Gladtobemom
June 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM
http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Bun19A.jpg

Wow, beautiful bun. And sooo perfectly done. Possibly the prettiest cinnamon bun I've ever seen.

Velvettt
June 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Gladtobemom, this is the first time I've seen your face. You're gorgeous! I don't care what your students call you. I can't imagine that face scowling at anyone.

nowxisxforever
June 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Can I be in?
I wear my hair back in a bun most of the time and my customers seem to think I'm mean when I deny them unjustified new computers.
No glasses, though.

Gladtobemom
June 17th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Gladtobemom, this is the first time I've seen your face. You're gorgeous! I don't care what your students call you. I can't imagine that face scowling at anyone.

Thank you, :toofers:. What the kids decided, when we discussed this, was that I don't have "the look," I use, "the voice."

They also think my smile can be pretty evil sometimes.
(WHO . . . moi!)

And I'm sure I've pulled off a scowl or two.

AprilElf
July 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
Just wanted to add my noggin to the roll call.
Finally got a picture of the glasses, bun and (half-hearted?) scowl.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/meanlady.jpg

Xandergrammy
July 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM

Splendid!! It's a great look for you. :sun:

Riot Crrl
July 1st, 2008, 07:59 PM
I think my bun may be too tight, I've been getting even meaner. I need to take a pic, haha.

wendy645
July 1st, 2008, 08:11 PM
I have a friend who constantly talks about me as though I'm a mean old tight-bunned lady when I have my hair back. I can't handle loose hairstyles. If it's loose, I take it out and re-do it. I think it looks graceful and makes me think of ballet. He thinks evil scary school marm. Whatever, he's bald and doesn't know what a pain hair down, esp. in the Arizona summers! :-P

Oh, and I have been told by many that I have mastered "The Look". I tell them it was passed on by my grandmother who inveted it ;-) Now to work on "The Voice". Even when I'm mad my light tone makes it seem like I don't really mean it. Which really cheeses me! :-(

Fireweed
July 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Thats me all day every day. I would love to be in this club again.

FrannyG
July 2nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I have a friend who constantly talks about me as though I'm a mean old tight-bunned lady when I have my hair back. I can't handle loose hairstyles. If it's loose, I take it out and re-do it. I think it looks graceful and makes me think of ballet. He thinks evil scary school marm. Whatever, he's bald and doesn't know what a pain hair down, esp. in the Arizona summers! :-P

Oh, and I have been told by many that I have mastered "The Look". I tell them it was passed on by my grandmother who inveted it ;-) Now to work on "The Voice". Even when I'm mad my light tone makes it seem like I don't really mean it. Which really cheeses me! :-(

Oh, after almost 20 years of motherhood, I have both "The Look" and "The Voice" down pat. My voice can be like ice water if necessary. :)

FrannyG
July 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM

I love your half-hearted little elfin noggin! :)

UncommonTart
July 2nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Do I qualify? A bun is my default hairstyle, tight or else the demon hairs escape; I wear glasses; and I'm always being told I look angry. I tell them I'm really not- I'm just not going to go around grinning like an idiot. (I was just told the other day that I had "a sarcastic smile." It really was sincere, though!) Oh, and my mother's an English teacher and my first job was in a library. I am a PRO at the over the glasses, raised eyebrow, 'excuse me' look.

julya
July 3rd, 2008, 01:08 AM
I do wear a bun daily, but I don't have glasses yet and I might smile too much to qualify. I'd like to join in anyway though.

FrannyG
July 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
I do wear a bun daily, but I don't have glasses yet and I might smile too much to qualify. I'd like to join in anyway though.

Glasses, of course, are optional, but, smiling too much is definitely a problem. How about we make you a Junior Member, until you let us know that you've made even one mean, scary face that could wither a grown man? We'll trust you. :)

julya
July 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Ok, thanks Franny! I'm happy to be a Junior Member! I'll have to practice my scary faces in the mirror. I actually have a prescription to get glasses, just haven't gone in to pick out frames yet. It's such a hard choice.

Melian
July 3rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Can I join too? I am bunned most of the time (if its not a coiled braid), got the glasses, and am a teacher... I can look stern, but I smile. a. lot.

julya
July 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Melian, maybe they'll make you a Junior Member like me!

rubyann
July 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I'm glad the CLUB has been resurrected! I'm a tight bunned mean lady. Only I smile too much, most of the time. Ruins the effect. Oh well. I guess it just makes the serious look all the more effective.

Xandergrammy
July 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I smile a whole lot, but I think that just makes the "mean" look that much "meaner". I can flip from smiling to glaring in the blink of an eye. :gabigrin:

MrsB
July 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I love a nice tight bun, I need to practice more though, I have unruly ends sticking out!!

Finoriel
July 5th, 2008, 02:38 AM
And not to forget the "evil" smile :gabigrin: especially effective with one raised eyebrow and a frosty voice. Have to admit that I do this sometimes :p but friends assured me that it´s definitive the kind of mean and evil smile, like I´m lost in thinking about how to prepare the liver of the poor wrongdoer. Oh well, good! :wink:

(I do not eat liver, but I have nothing against a good luscious steak :eyebrows:)

Angellen
July 24th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I had a tight-bun experience today. It really was perfect, too. I was proctoring a sort of open-notes test for the school I work for (incoming HS sophomores), and two boys on opposite ends of the room were throwing erasers (or something similar, I'm not quiet sure). I didn't say anything, but just looked at one of them over my burgundy semi-cat frames (tight bun at the ready). I was going for "Yes, I know what you are doing, and we both know how much punishment you could potentially receive." or something of that nature. It worked like a charm. I hadn't done the look for more than a second before it was noticed, and the boys sobered up immediately. Yes! Score one for the [mean] tight-bunned lady with glasses! [Sophomore Boys: 0 ]

It was brilliant, I swear. :D

Gladtobemom
July 24th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I had a tight-bun experience today. It really was perfect, too. I was proctoring a sort of open-notes test for the school I work for (incoming HS sophomores), and two boys on opposite ends of the room were throwing erasers (or something similar, I'm not quiet sure). I didn't say anything, but just looked at one of them over my burgundy semi-cat frames (tight bun at the ready). I was going for "Yes, I know what you are doing, and we both know how much punishment you could potentially receive." or something of that nature. It worked like a charm. I hadn't done the look for more than a second before it was noticed, and the boys sobered up immediately. Yes! Score one for the [mean] tight-bunned lady with glasses! [Sophomore Boys: 0 ]

It was brilliant, I swear. :D

:eyebrows: Ya Skeered 'em into submission. Your legend is growing.

embee
July 24th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Well done! Serves 'em right. :)

I am having a more difficult time. I *am* a mean old lady, with slicked back hair in a tight bun... and the owner of the place I work says I need to be more friendly, smiley and jokey, people are shy of me. Hm. I sure wish I could find another job... part of this one is to call people and remind them that their bills are overdue. Hard to be friendly and pleasant giving that kind of message!

birthmarkie
July 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I'd like to join even though I am a novice. Awesome pictures and stories, everyone.

trolleypup
July 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I sure wish I could find another job... part of this one is to call people and remind them that their bills are overdue. Hard to be friendly and pleasant giving that kind of message!
Heh! At my old job, clients would call and ask for "The Evil Bookkeeper"...routinely. It was not a happy place to be a deadbeat. "Oh, I'm sorry your account is off due to non-payment at 4pm on a Friday with the owner and manage gone for the weekend...I'm sure they will be happy to get it turned back on Monday at 9am when they open the vault. Or... Or...if you can get $200 green cash in my hands before I leave at 5pm, I can turn it on immediately!" I will note that I had owner permission to be horrible to them. And, guess what? They got the cash to me in 30 minutes.

WavyGirl
July 25th, 2008, 08:39 AM
You guys are good!

I wear my hair tightly bunned most of the time. My bangs are long enough now to be bunned too.
I have the glasses.
I have The Look. Just concentrating at work is enough to make my colleagues duck and timidly ask "w-w-what?"
Adults, children and animals jump when I use The Voice.
No make-up and heavy eyebrows are assets.

I appear mean, but I'm really not. Well, unless they deserve it!

Unfortunately I wasn't really annoyed when this shot was taken but you get the idea.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j267/wavygirl/TBML-1.jpg
I would apologise about the image quality if I were trying to be nicer.

birthmarkie
July 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Wow, great face, WavyGirl.

I think I'm naming mine the "don't tell me I have a pretty smile" face. It will. not. smile. :evil:

Question: which are meaner looking, wire-rimmed or plastic-framed glasses? Black or tortoise shell?

Gladtobemom
July 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
You guys are good!

I wear my hair tightly bunned most of the time. My bangs are long enough now to be bunned too.
I have the glasses.
I have The Look. Just concentrating at work is enough to make my colleagues duck and timidly ask "w-w-what?"
Adults, children and animals jump when I use The Voice.
No make-up and heavy eyebrows are assets.

I appear mean, but I'm really not. Well, unless they deserve it!

Unfortunately I wasn't really annoyed when this shot was taken but you get the idea.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j267/wavygirl/TBML-1.jpg
I would apologise about the image quality if I were trying to be nicer.

Oooooh you skeered the camera!:p

I wish I could do that!

WavyGirl
July 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Oooooh you skeered the camera!:p

I wish I could do that!

I knew there was a reason I hate having my photo taken :D My sisters have been telling me for years that I'd break it that way! :)

khyricat
October 20th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I'm tight bunned, but my mean look is THROUGH the glasses more than over them.. I do wear reading glasses, but I also wear regular ones and can't see without them!

Xandergrammy
February 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
I just wanted to bump this thread in case any new people are interested. :flowers:

rags
February 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Oh, this is me to a tee! I am constantly being told to smile or being asked what's wrong when nothing's wrong - as a matter of fact, about half the time I'm in a good mood. That's just my default expression!
I have a child and ten nieces and nephews; I have both the "look" and the "voice" down pat.
And I wear my hair in a very tight bun most days lest the demon Houdini hair escape its confinement.
So do I qualify?

trolleypup
February 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
On being demanded to 'smile'...*cranks bun a quarter turn tighter, stares over glasses at offender, asks "Excuse me, what did you just say?"

rags
February 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Oh, when I am told that, I kind of bare my teeth at them in a threatening way and say "Like this?" They usually don't ask twice!

Xandergrammy
February 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Oh, this is me to a tee! I am constantly being told to smile or being asked what's wrong when nothing's wrong - as a matter of fact, about half the time I'm in a good mood. That's just my default expression!
I have a child and ten nieces and nephews; I have both the "look" and the "voice" down pat.
And I wear my hair in a very tight bun most days lest the demon Houdini hair escape its confinement.
So do I qualify?

Yes, you do qualify, rags!!! Welcome to the club!

Xandergrammy
February 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
On being demanded to 'smile'...*cranks bun a quarter turn tighter, stares over glasses at offender, asks "Excuse me, what did you just say?"

:rollin: I'll have to try this one out tomorrow!!

nutsenmai
February 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Ooh, I wear a bun all the time! And it's tight! And I wear glasses! Sweet.

ajr
February 22nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
I have the tight bun and glasses all the time at work. I'm a 24 year old trying to teach 14 year olds math. At this point I'm trying to channel the spirit of professor McGonagall

Kimberly
February 22nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
I'd like to join this club. I have a tight bun, reading glasses, and a sparingly used Look that can induce my target to take a step back and call me ma'am (sometimes with visible sweat).

Rain
February 22nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
I continue to look cranky but I think I have to retire the bun. I'm just not loving it lately.

arabidbutterfly
February 22nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
The tight, mean lady bun has the added advantage of giving the wearer an instant face lift!

fishwich
February 23rd, 2009, 12:27 AM
I rock my tight bun with a high-necked white blouse and a cameo pin. Almost makes me wish I hadn't got lasik'd so I could still peer over my glasses at people. I love it so much, that bun makes me want to start smacking everything in sight with a birch switch for being naughty.

nessthing
February 23rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
I just can't do the tight bun. It makes right behind my ears ache.

trolleypup
February 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
I rock my tight bun with a high-necked white blouse and a cameo pin. Almost makes me wish I hadn't got lasik'd so I could still peer over my glasses at people. I love it so much, that bun makes me want to start smacking everything in sight with a birch switch for being naughty.
Heh.

You can get 0.0 prescription glasses, you know!

sneakybea
February 23rd, 2009, 02:39 AM
I need to take lessons from some of you guys. I have the tight bun, and I've worn glasses since I was three---even with the lightweight lenses they are coke bottle thick---and I even teach history at a community college. But I need to work on the looking mean---I think I come off less as Professor McGonagall and more as Sybil Trelawney!

Xandergrammy
February 23rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
I love it so much, that bun makes me want to start smacking everything in sight with a birch switch for being naughty.

:rollin: You've got the perfect attitude!

Xandergrammy
February 23rd, 2009, 06:27 AM
I need to take lessons from some of you guys. I have the tight bun, and I've worn glasses since I was three---even with the lightweight lenses they are coke bottle thick---and I even teach history at a community college. But I need to work on the looking mean---I think I come off less as Professor McGonagall and more as Sybil Trelawney!

It's very important to not show even a hint of a smile. Purse your lips if you have to. :gabigrin:

AJoifulNoise
February 23rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I bought two t-shirts the other day: one with Oscar the Grouch and the other with Grumpy the dwarf. :lol: They are a warning, like on deadly reptiles. Beware the tight-bunned mean lady stare!

Taedareth
February 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
I'll join! I don't have glasses but the bun in my avatar is my everyday updo. With fine, flat hair, that's really the only look I can get. Even with a French twist etc., my hair is still tight against my scalp so there's no fluff to frame my face. I get tired of the look, but what can you do? :)

Carolyn
February 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
I like looking stern and mean too. I'm always wearing my glasses and I wear a slicked back bun the majority of the time. I always wear some kind of a bun when I am subbing. I'm not a mean sub, but I like looking mean :D

sissadawn
February 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
This thread just thrills me! I saw reference to loose buns and my first thought was 'You can do that?' I had been looking for other hairstyles for updos but you all just made my day! I'm fairly well known for being 'mean', I generally follow through with whatever threat was given along with 'the look'. But well, when your friends think it's funny to carve in your furninture you have to instill a bit of fear :demon:

Calanthe
February 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
I don't wear glasses :D and I'm not mean (at least not intentionally) but I'm very tight-bunned all the time. With stick straight hair there's no other way, because there is no "fluff" to soften it up a bit.

Oh, I can lift my eyebrows in a very supercilious manner, saying without words: "And you are telling me this because...."

Is that enough? :D

jissy
February 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Just reading this and honoring Grammy Rose. What a lady!!!!

I just dyed hair back to almost natural color so I can let it grow out without looking "funny". I have the bun, the glasses and all my kids say "the look" is perfect. I'm a meanie!!! ROFL

Would love to join in here.

Melisande
February 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I'm in if you will have me. I'm bunned all the time, and fine straight hair can be loosened only so far.... until it all falls.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1637/updovonvornjanuar2009qy0.th.jpg (http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=updovonvornjanuar2009qy0.jpg)

I can look very strict although I'm soft at heart. I'm an imposing matron, and I'm a teacher. I don't wear glasses, though. But I can lift one eyebrow in a very mean way. Oh, and I dress in gray quite often which makes me look even more serious.

lillerina
February 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I wear glasses and have been doing 'the look' for as long as I can remember, and always have my hair in a tight bun (there's another way of bunning?). I love this thread ^_^

Drynwhyl
February 24th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Well, I'm not so much of a bun-person, but I have the mean-ness, the glasses, the attitude, and, add a weird walk and a long black trenchcoat!
Could I pass? :D
http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/2/24/f_IMG0027m_69c0444.jpg

Alana2000
February 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I'm not joining the club (yet) but I was so looking forward to seeing some man-buns in here.. I just want to see more men with their hair bunned, it really suits some guys, that for sure.

Also GLad to be mom posted a beautiful photo of herself with her children awhile back... just wanted to share that I looked at the photo for a long time... its so nice!

rags
February 24th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I wear glasses and have been doing 'the look' for as long as I can remember, and always have my hair in a tight bun (there's another way of bunning?)

That's exactly what I thought - there's another way of bunning? Not with my hair!

EdG
February 24th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Could I pass? :DNot only have you passed, but you've set a new standard. Very well-done! :applause

I'm not joining the club (yet) but I was so looking forward to seeing some man-buns in here..It's going to be a long time before I reach the man-bun stage. :o
Ed

SimplyLonghair
February 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Yes I am still a member of the tight bunned mean ladies (and gents) club!

Still scaring little kids and slackers away! LOL:D

susiemw
February 25th, 2009, 12:10 AM
check out this youtube video for "bunning" shorter hair.
I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_-XBalPjVg

or do a search on youtube for
maneandchic "The Southern Tease" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_-XBalPjVg)

hopefully, this will help a few more people join the tight bunned meannie club!

SimplyLonghair
February 26th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Cool link and now we have a non-smiley smiley http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/simply_longhair/mynewsilly-1.gif Hope ya'll like it.

SimplyLonghair
February 27th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Bumping thread, did anyone see the smiley? I hope you like it. It was my idea of a bun style :p http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/simply_longhair/mynewsilly-1.gif

florenonite
February 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Oh, when I am told that, I kind of bare my teeth at them in a threatening way and say "Like this?" They usually don't ask twice!

I was drinking tea when I read that! :p

I don't think I constitute a tight-bunned, mean lady anymore, as I cut bangs a few weeks ago precisely because I don't like the way I look with all my hair pulled back. I've just got the evil look now :(

zen_oven
February 27th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I'm not typically a bun-wearer, but I am a librarian, and it seems people still expect us to wear buns and glasses! I should wear a really tight bun to work one day and see how people react! LOL!

AJoifulNoise
February 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Bumping thread, did anyone see the smiley? I hope you like it. It was my idea of a bun style :p http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/simply_longhair/mynewsilly-1.gif

Thats awesome!

Atlantic
February 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I wear tight buns very frequently and glasses all the time. An Indian colleague visiting our office recently nicknamed me "the sweet librarian"...so clearly I need to work on looking mean! :evil:

Xandergrammy
March 24th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Just bumping this thread in case any newbies need to know how to get The Look! :gabigrin:

Gothic Lolita
March 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Ok, I'm nearly always tight bunnend, but not a member here. Now I do need your help!

The week before graduation, we have a fancy dresses and for each day motto. And Monday will be Mafia!

Now I'm wondering what I could do with my hair for this. I'm always wearing a cinnamon bun or something alike with no part. I've thought of making a deep side part but I can't come up with a nice bun. I want it to be tight, mean and severe looking. Unfortunately a log roll doesn't work and I've too much hair for a french twist, so I DO need some inspirations here!

frodolaughs
March 24th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty much always bunned. I've never learned to do a loose bun (I do a tight bun & have wispies, especially by the end of the day). I'm not mean on purpose, but that's not the same as not being mean--(I'm just naturally severe and intimidating, or so I've heard)--sooo, count me in! Finally, a club for me!!!

Drynwhyl
March 24th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Ok, I'm nearly always tight bunnend, but not a member here. Now I do need your help!

The week before graduation, we have a fancy dresses and for each day motto. And Monday will be Mafia!

Now I'm wondering what I could do with my hair for this. I'm always wearing a cinnamon bun or something alike with no part. I've thought of making a deep side part but I can't come up with a nice bun. I want it to be tight, mean and severe looking. Unfortunately a log roll doesn't work and I've too much hair for a french twist, so I DO need some inspirations here!

I'd go for a good, tight cinnamon bun, but put a lot of oil on it, and to the scalp too, you want to bee all sleek and shiny and...mafia-like :P

crikey
March 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I think I was born to be a tight-bunned mean lady. Peering over reading glasses with a look that can stop running water? Aye. Got it.

Also, my role model is <a href="http://viv.id.au/blog/20080912.2174/friday-hoyden-little-my/">Little My</a> from the Moomin books. Small, ferocious, and utterly un-bothered by what other people think of her. What's not to admire?

http://katiecooke.com/hair/my.jpg

crikey
March 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM
oops. here's that link (http://viv.id.au/blog/20080912.2174/friday-hoyden-little-my/)

(can't edit my previous. grr.)

Cloverleaf
March 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I'd be interested in joining!

Tight bun (it's the only kind I can do!): Check.
Glasses: Check.
Mean Look: It's the "attitude" that comes across - I think I qualify!

CreativeHere
March 24th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Oh, I wanna join! Pretty please? Uh, I mean, I meet all of the requirements listed above, therefore can demand entry. Now.

;)

Akiko
March 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I think I was born to be a tight-bunned mean lady. Peering over reading glasses with a look that can stop running water? Aye. Got it.

Also, my role model is <a href="http://viv.id.au/blog/20080912.2174/friday-hoyden-little-my/">Little My</a> from the Moomin books. Small, ferocious, and utterly un-bothered by what other people think of her. What's not to admire?

http://katiecooke.com/hair/my.jpg

Moomin! I grew up watching Moomin TV show in Tokyo. That little onion head little-my is indeed ferocious! Oh, I have to watch that again. I am often tight bunned like little my. hahaha.

SimplyLonghair
March 24th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Thats awesome!
Sorry to be so long in responding I didn't see your answer :)
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/simply_longhair/mynewsilly-1.gif
I am glad that someone liked the smilie, as I though that we needed one, or a non-smilie! LOL:D

Akiko
March 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/simply_longhair/mynewsilly-1.gif
I am glad that someone liked the smilie, as I though that we needed one, or a non-smilie! LOL:D

Love that non-smiling smiley. Oh, it's not in the list of smilies on LHC.:( It should be added.

Dorothy
March 24th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Oh I'd so love to belong. My buns are tight, that's for sure, I haven't mastered the loose bun that stays in my hair. However, I'm afraid my brainwashing as a social worker therapist has made me too VALIDATING to qualify as a mean lady. I mean, I have my moments, you know, like "You didn't do your diary card? But I know you're committed to doing this treatment.....are you committed to doing this treatment?...I could transfer you to another therapist who won't make you do diary cards (and also won't help you) but I thought you were committed to this treatment!" Mean enough?

CrazedArtist
June 10th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Wow, this club still exists! I just stumbled across my old photo and figured I'd come see if the forum was still around. I haven't been here since 2006!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3555/5818805466_4230af3199.jpg

bunzfan
June 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Wow, this club still exists! I just stumbled across my old photo and figured I'd come see if the forum was still around. I haven't been here since 2006!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3555/5818805466_4230af3199.jpg

That picture is so cool! i think i need to join my mum always accused me of looking like a school teacher as i have the glasses to:)

Xandergrammy
June 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I was just thinking about this thread the other day!! I'll have to go see which picture I used.

Xandergrammy
June 10th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Here's mine!!!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/DSCN2296.jpg

pittsburgpam
June 10th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Oooohhh, I want to join.

I tight bun, wear glasses, and I raised three kids so I have "the look" down pat.

My adult children were teasing and arguing and my son went a bit too far, in my opinion. I looked at him. He stopped and the girls cracked up saying, "Oooooh, you just got the MOM look."

tigr
June 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I love this thread! It was great reading all the posts!

I have almost none of the requirements, except for often being told to smile. But I'm happy to be a

Wanna-be Tight-bunned Mean Lady

:)

Xandergrammy
June 13th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I love this thread! It was great reading all the posts!

I have almost none of the requirements, except for often being told to smile. But I'm happy to be a

Wanna-be Tight-bunned Mean Lady

:)

The really funny thing is that I'm usually always smiling, but I can look mean when I need to! :gabigrin:

MandyBeth
June 13th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I have the glasses and the look, I mean glare, down pat. But no tight hair buns yet. Does it count that I wear it loose because any updo right now looks awful, messy and sloppy?

Xandergrammy
June 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I have the glasses and the look, I mean glare, down pat. But no tight hair buns yet. Does it count that I wear it loose because any updo right now looks awful, messy and sloppy?

Yes, it absolutely counts. It's all about the attitude, and I think you have it! :thumbsup:

excentricat
June 13th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I'm sans-glasses, but I've got the rest. I am so in. My 5'4" self had to admonish a 6ft. adult today for acting like a 6 year old.

Nastasia
June 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Oh man, I want to join! I've got the tight buns and the glare, but no glasses. And anybody who tells me I need glasses to join the club will get glared at! :p

PraiseCheeses
June 13th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Sheesh, Xandergammy... twice in one thread? That's just cruelty!

(LOVE it!!)

Gladtobemom, your story about your grandmother Rose was riveting. What an amazing lady! (I think my mother may have taken a page from her book - the torture about going back through all the rules to regain privileges is a bit too familiar...:p)

As for me, I'm reading this thread thinking, "Finally I know where I belong!" My mother started yelling at me for scowling when I was eleven, and when I was 12, strangers started taking upon themselves to tell me to smile. But I wasn't ready yet... even though I started frequently wearing scrunchie buns when I was 16 and had worn glasses since I was 10. No... not yet. What did I do? I got contacts. I cut face-framing tendrils. I spent years lamenting my naturally unsmiling face that got me called aloof and negative. And I spent years studying my face, figuring out exactly how I looked at all times so I could force myself into that all-important smile.

And it worked. I even spent several years waitressing while in school... and you know you don't get work as a waitress unless you're annoyingly perky. I even smiled at people while they insulted me and threatened me. Only occasionally, when I was concentrating, did strangers now find it necessary to chastise my expression.

And then? Then I did my student teacher practicum in an inner city high school. In the first week, as a very young-looking petite 25-year-old with blonde hair and pudgy cheeks (which had been pinched by church-ladies up until I was 17 - let me tell you, THEY got the full-blast scowl!), I was asked twice for my hall pass, even though I was dressed professionally. I knew drastic action had to be taken. Suddenly my scowl had purpose! I found it again, and used it judiciously and to great effect. The 30-year-veteran 6'8" 300-lb band teacher told me, at the end of my practicum: "You've got the teacher look down! If I saw you look at me like that, I'd be wondering, "Oh ****, what did I do?"

You've all freshly inspired me. Time to rock the mean-lady look!

As for the voice, I have a voice that can even make my cats behave. :p

Anje
July 12th, 2011, 02:35 PM
You know, I don't think I ever joined. But I've got a bun and glasses. I can be mean -- I don't usually intend to be, but people do illogical things, and apparently my tone of voice gives away my annoyance no matter how gentle and patronizing I try to make my words be.

catholicteacher
July 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I'm so in! ...Though I must admit that my teacher look may intimidate my husband more than my students. That's what sevies are for, so easily cowed. ;P

Melon Collie
July 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I'm not mean. I just get straight to the point and I don't sugar coat things.

And I only wear my glasses when I'm reading. I do rock a mean ankle length skirt and granny boots. :D

slz
July 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
How come I missed this club ? I found out about it in the "looking severe in updos" thread. As I said there, I'd call myself a natural born tight bunned mean lady - even withpout updos, my face looks quite severe anyway (high forehead, long face, lips that are the opposite of the plump things that are fashionable these days). You add to that an updo, and a tight one since it's the only way I've found to get the weight evenly distributed thus avoid scalp/head aches, and voil&#224; : mean lady look. Sometimes I swear, i feel the one and only accessory I'd need in my wardrobe is a SS cap :rolleyes: .
BTW, it only helps me in my work, as a teacher, for the first few weeks with a new class - after which the students get to know me and that I'd rather look elsewhere and pretend I didn't see anything when they're up to mischief, to avoid the hassle of "paperwork", reporting, etc. So I'm just a case of decieving looks I guess :D .

Becky9679
July 13th, 2011, 07:02 AM
How come I missed this club ? I found out about it in the "looking severe in updos" thread.

I was the OP on that thread, I think I have to join now.

My default expression is somewhat of a scowl (someone told me the other day that I look like I should be brandishing a sharp object in my hand). I wear contacts most of the time so I'll save my most menacing look for days when I'm giving them a break :evil:

PinkyCat
July 13th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Oh I'm soooooo in this club!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7960&pictureid=107740

skara_brae
July 13th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Tight buns, looking over glasses, worked in a library, and always get told to smile....I'm in.

That warning expression combined with the correct gait occasionally manages to get me through more crowded areas without much in the way of jostling too.

So true...I've used this to my own advantage many a time.

I wasn't in a bad mood. I was just focusing on what I was doing. I get told to smile a lot....if you want me to smile, maybe you could do something amusing or say something funny.

I get the same thing too, especially from coworkers. I also have a bad habit of staring "through" people when I'm thinking about something.

Everyone is forever telling me to smile for photographs. But when I try, I just look meaner...

Hey! It's not that bad, is it?
How can you say that after what happened? (walk quickly away)

OMG this is so mean, I love it!

Okay, here's mine.

You win!

I generally follow through with whatever threat was given along with 'the look'.

The most effective thing, I've found, is to never bluff. Ever.

there's another way of bunning? Not with my hair!

I hate hate hate loose buns. They look and feel messy on me, and my hair keeps escaping and tangling. And I can't get the weight of the hair distributed evenly...

jeanniet
July 13th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I can't believe I've never seen this thread before! I don't wear super-tight buns, but I do have that look (bun, no bangs/fringe) and I have the glasses. Plus I don't have bifocals, so I tip my glasses down to read fine print. My kids make fun of me all the time for it. :rolleyes:

Becky9679
July 26th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Finally done a photo for this. So, is my membership card in the post?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8101&pictureid=108778

Xandergrammy
July 26th, 2011, 07:19 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8101&pictureid=108778

whoa! You just might qualify for President of the club! :gabigrin:

trolleypup
July 26th, 2011, 08:28 AM
"And if you think you are a Tough Guy, I can stab you through the eye with my hairstick and have my bun back together before you hit the ground."

Alaia
July 26th, 2011, 08:30 AM
"And if you think you are a Tough Guy, I can stab you through the eye with my hairstick and have my bun back together before you hit the ground."

:lol: Take that Chuck Norris!

dfotw
July 26th, 2011, 10:55 AM

I am going to adopt this as my motto... particularly when I'm wearing some of my hair-armoury (hair-swords, hair-axes, I'm holding out for a hair-lance some day...)! :cool:

I'm mean, I always wear my hair in a tight bun, I wear glasses and shoot people severe looks (with one eyebrow raised, natch) over them... this is my kind of club! :D

Rtzgrl
July 26th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I wish I could be part of this club. I have the bun and the glasses, but unfortunately I have a character that my boss describes as "chronically cheerful". I was a nanny for 20 years before I got this job, and you would think that in all that time I would get the mean lady look down pat, but I could never keep a straight face. :(

Oh well, I guess the world needs happy people, too. Maybe when I hit 80 I'll be able to pull it off.

Becky9679
July 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
whoa! You just might qualify for President of the club! :gabigrin:

Hahaha, thanks! :pins:

Honestwitness
July 29th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Here's my membership application pic.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2850&pictureid=109033

MidnightStar
July 30th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Ha! That is awesome.
I think I belong in this club too. I wear my hair up every day at work, and I often wear my glasses because I work long hours and my contacts get too dry. I've decided that glasses + down hair = adorable, contacts + up hair = cute, but glasses + up hair = SCARY LIBRARY LADY!
However, this could be the reason that most of my clients have stopped talking back...maybe they are afraid of me.

luluj
July 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Here's my membership application pic.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2850&pictureid=109033
OK..... YOU WIN! :p
:run:

Seeshami
July 30th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Oh my death glare need not be accompanied by a bun. Apparently all 135 Lbs, 5ft, 6in of me is intimidating.

P.S. I firmly believe the naughty mess of hair is at least one of those pounds.

kamikaze hair
July 30th, 2011, 09:02 AM
oh my god! I'm loving this thread, I'm totally loving the "death stares over the glasses" look. I have a friend from work (who's six foot one) and I'm really really short, and is always laughing at me cause I do the death stares over the glasses look when I look at him when he's stirring me up. Doesn't find it intimidating at all, everyone else does though, I must one day post a photo of me in a scary mean bun with glasses look.

MasCat
July 30th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Oh gawd, now you confuse me which thread I like more (for the pictures) - this one or the brushed out curlies :))))))

Muntchka
August 2nd, 2011, 04:18 AM
Oh I need this thread.
I love to wear buns during the day, and I think it makes my hair much softer and less dry. I also have the glasses but in this case I started wearing contact lenses because I never felt comfortable with glasses. But I still wear them sometimes.

I'm not a person that smiles that much but I have a "soft" look. I never look tough and I think that's one of the reasons sometime people don't take me seriously. I need to learn "the look" to complement my buns.

Charybdis
August 2nd, 2011, 05:21 AM
I just found this thread, and I am in love. My husband refers to me (affectionately) as Mrs. Grumpy, and apparently I tend to scowl at my computer whenever I am concentrating on anything. Like a lot of people here, my "neutral" expression apparently tends to read as "intimidating." In my case, I think it's the German part of my heritage; a friend of mine, who is also part German (very common in certain parts of Texas), calls it "German sour face."

I'm usually pretty smiley when I'm actively interacting with people, RIGHT up until they say something foolish that gets my dander up. It seems to be the transition that alarms people. I frightened a car salesman one time.

After years of spending time styling my hair, I'm ready to get back to the bun. Might as well give 'em fair warning. :demon:

Bambi
August 2nd, 2011, 05:36 AM
Oh I love this! I work as an airhostess so the tight bun is definately always present *mohahaha* If you do not fasten your seatbelts before take off and landing then I can get mean:D!

Becky9679
November 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Bumping the thread to see if we can get more members on board!

Violettwin
November 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'm in mememememe! I have the librarian death stare & I ain't afraid to use it! :O

Becky9679
July 29th, 2012, 01:39 AM
No activity on here for ages! Any more new members for the club?

DancingQueen
July 29th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Can I please join? I am only able to make a tiny knot of a bun so far, but I have the death glare even with loose hair and contact lenses. Just imagine it with a tight bun and glasses!

moon2dove
July 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Ohh! I'm with ya!

I've got the bun (small bun!!) the glasses .....And I can do a mean Jean Brodie glare over the glasses:p :guns:

:D