PDA

View Full Version : Tips for using hairsticks

mustpannkook
February 23rd, 2011, 04:26 AM
Every time I try to use a hairstick it won't hold anything and I think it's silly to make a bun, secure it with a hair tie and then put a hair stick through the bun.

So, what are the best tips to make a bun (or an updo) with a hair stick? Should I make my hair damp? Or hair sticks won't work on layered, about BSL length hair at all?

Sagi1982
February 23rd, 2011, 04:34 AM
Practice is the key... ;)
Try some "other" buns, floreonite posted a good tuto some time ago for a looped bun.

mustpannkook
February 23rd, 2011, 04:40 AM
Ok, I'll look for it. Is chinese bun hard to make with my length? The ends always pop out so I put a scrunchie around it.

Sundial
February 23rd, 2011, 04:42 AM
I noticed that you are BSL with ii/iii thickness in your profile. If your hair length is that shown in your avatar, then I'm not sure if you are having problems because your hair isn't long enough yet. I had problems doing buns when my hair was around the same length and it doesn't help that I had a blunt hemline with iii thickness.

I suggest that you practice buns on half ups. If you can get halfups to work but cannot do a bun with all of your hair, it could be that you need more length before you duplicate those styles.

However, you may want to check out the wrapped hairstick bun. I believe you may be able to get it to work at your length and thickness. You can find instructions for it on FrannyG's blog (sorry I don't remember the exact web link offhand)

Les
February 23rd, 2011, 04:43 AM
I think the key in using a stick is to pierce many layers of the bun with the stick, that and practice. Make sure the bun isn't sloppy-loose when you start and weave the stick in and out, up and down as you work it through, making sure to take at least one trip close to the scalp. I feel like I am fairly proficient, but I still have "failbun" about 20% of the time and need to redo it. Fortunately I seem to be able to tell right away if I've gotten into trouble.

pepperminttea
February 23rd, 2011, 04:53 AM
Ditto what Sundial said; I think I managed my first bun at your length, and I'd been struggling for a while thanks to my hair being on the thicker end of average. If it's with the actual mechanics of using a hairstick though, this vid might help (shown on a cinnabun) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf4ElyLAAE). :)

mustpannkook
February 23rd, 2011, 04:54 AM
I found one really nice bun that looks like a figure-8. And I think I just made the first bun that actually stays in with just a hair stick! I can even shake my head and it won't fall out!
Thank you so much, Sundial, for mentioning FrannyG's blog! I've always thought her hair looks really nice but I never bothered to check out her blog. Shame on me...

pepperminttea, I loved the video! I guess it's not you on the video but the woman there made me smile when she shaked her head.

Thanks everyone!

Blandine
February 23rd, 2011, 05:25 AM
Your hair should be long enough to try the style that is shown in the video here: http://www.senzalimiti.net/english/film/film.htm - the result is some kind of French Twist that holds with a single hairstick. It takes a bit of practice, though.

pepperminttea
February 23rd, 2011, 06:55 AM
pepperminttea, I loved the video! I guess it's not you on the video but the woman there made me smile when she shaked her head.

Nope, definitely not me (I wish I had hair like that!), but Torrin's vids are so helpful I like to spread the word. :D

Anje
February 23rd, 2011, 08:33 AM
There's a basic principle with hairsticks where the hair is wrapped in such a way that the stick just keeps it all in place. Cinnamon buns aren't always the best for hairsticks, and I tend to get better results with inside-out/lazy-wrap/nautilus buns.

This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YIyUGn2pI) does a good job at demonstrating the principle, and is one of the first buns you can do with just a hairstick, as you grow. When it's a little longer, you can turn it into a nautilus bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N-bXFkbo74&NR=1) and use a hairstick in the same way.

PrincessTieflin
February 23rd, 2011, 10:15 AM
I cant get a cinna bun to hold well with sticks.. But I can with a fork.

A LWB or Nautalis works well for my fine curls.

Also a braided bun works.. even tho I have to use pins to hold the end in..

LaurelSpring
February 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
You might also try using a stick like a ketylo. The wavyness of the stick seems to help it hold better also.

mustpannkook
February 23rd, 2011, 11:14 AM
I really like ketylos but I haven't seen any sold here and I don't trust ordering from websites that are not in my country... I made myself a hair stick that looks a bit like a ketylo of a knitting needle...

I think I can't make nautilus (or a knot bun that stays in well) yet but I could try LWB later.

BrightEyes7
February 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I tried all of Hypnotica's youtube tutorials for buns until I found some I could do, then I practiced over and over. Here is a link to her videos http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=4ypn0tica&aq=0

Also you need to pick up some scalp hair toward the middle of the bun. If you are just putting the stick through the wrapped part of the bun it doesn't have a stable base. Also I find that it helps to do the bun a little too tight at first because when I put the stick in and stop holding it with my hands it loosens a bit.

Copasetic
February 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
You can't just push a hair stick through. You need to kind of weave and twist it through your hair in order for it to hold.

Capybara
February 23rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
When I make a chinese bun, I'll usually use claw clips to secure the ends.

Have you tried making a ponytail first, then bunning the tail with a hairstick? I find that that holds pretty securely.

Braiding hair beforehand helps as well.

Also, if the stick doesn't go in well one way, try putting it into the bun in a different direction. I usually have to test the placement of a stick before leaving it for good, especially when I'm using a new bun.

Congratulations on learning the figure eight bun! Isn't it comfy?

curlsgalore
February 23rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
Your hair should be long enough to try the style that is shown in the video here: http://www.senzalimiti.net/english/film/film.htm - the result is some kind of French Twist that holds with a single hairstick. It takes a bit of practice, though.

Wow, this looks so nice! I tried it and love how it turned out. Thanks for sharing the link!

mustpannkook
February 24th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Congratulations on learning the figure eight bun! Isn't it comfy?

I can make a real figure-8 but my hair is a bit too short to make it look nice. My mom hair is really thin so I can make figure-8's on her her. But the other fake "figure-8" is comfy! I'm going to buy a fork next month.

Thanks everyone for tips and advice!