PDA

View Full Version : People with shoulder or collar bone length hair

ldc441
February 22nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
What are some ways you put your hair up because I cut mine to shoulder length( it was mid back length) and I don't know what I can put my hair up in execpt a smal ponytail. I need help

Smile4Kiki
February 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Oooh will be watching this thread.. I'm the opposite because I haven't had my hair this long (a little past shoulder length) in years and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it at this length. Some of the styles I'm experimenting with are the french twist, peacock twist, and french braids. Sometimes i do two ponytails if I don't have to be at the office and I can sorta do a couple of buns like a sock bun and a messy type bun. I bought a couple of cute claw clips yesterday to just put it up and out of the way since I'm doing the wear hair up for 30 days challenge and don't have much of a repertoire. HTH

RancheroTheBee
February 22nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
My favorite style at that length was twisting the length and coiling it around, kind of like starting a messy bun. Then, I'd use a hair elastic to hold it down. Holding it down, I put a hair stick through the middle. It'd be out of my face and it made me look like I had a bigger bun than I really did.

Also, hair bands are fun. Half-ponytails look fresh, and pigtail braids are fun, too.

chocolateturtl
February 22nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
Hi, I'm new :D. I have hair that's a little passed shoulder length. It's so annoying to do anything with! Today I managed a kind of cute hair-do though. I poofed my bangs up and pinned them to make a pomp kind of thing, then I separated the top and bottom sections of what was left and put them in 2 pony tails, one on top of the other. I hope that makes sense!

Malaguena
February 23rd, 2011, 12:54 AM
^I've done that, too. Do you do it like so that the top ponytail kind of ties in with the bottom ponytail (if you get what I mean, I can't explain it any better :ponder:)?

Ponytail is really the only 'do I can make at this point. I tried a french braid, and it mostly worked, aside from my overgrown bangs. Nothing else works for them but pinning them up. lcd441, is your hair layered at all? If it's mostly even length, you could try a french braid?

chocolateturtl
February 23rd, 2011, 12:59 AM
^I've done that, too. Do you do it like so that the top ponytail kind of ties in with the bottom ponytail (if you get what I mean, I can't explain it any better :ponder:)?

Ponytail is really the only 'do I can make at this point. I tried a french braid, and it mostly worked, aside from my overgrown bangs. Nothing else works for them but pinning them up. lcd441, is your hair layered at all? If it's mostly even length, you could try a french braid?

I actually left the pony out, but I know what you're talking about and i think it looks cute too. :) I can't really French braid my hair, but I attempt to Dutch braid. It's so much easier for me. When it was long, I got really good at Dutch braiding.

Malaguena
February 23rd, 2011, 05:19 AM
I actually left the pony out, but I know what you're talking about and i think it looks cute too. :) I can't really French braid my hair, but I attempt to Dutch braid. It's so much easier for me. When it was long, I got really good at Dutch braiding.

Both ways look cute, I think :) That's one (well, two) updo's that won't really look as good on longer hair - just trying to come up with positive sides this boring medium length has ;) I'm no good at Dutch braiding, never was when I had long hair. French braid on the other hand, I could do even in my sleep :D Oh, I do that poof thing with my bangs, too!

LawyerGirl
February 23rd, 2011, 05:36 AM
Hi! I'm at this length. I can do a sock bun, dutch braid, french braid, half-up, ponytail, gibson tuck, twin braids secured in a bun, french roll, and my favorite at the moment is a dutch braid secured in a bun with a fork.

spitfire511
February 23rd, 2011, 05:39 AM
Just chiming in to add that spin pins (you can get them at grocery and big box stores in the US made by Goody) can be a big help at this length because they grab a little bit more hair. Good luck!

Yozhik
February 23rd, 2011, 06:00 AM
Ooh, do peacock twists -- they look great, and aren't possible at long lengths. :)

Bonkers57
February 23rd, 2011, 06:39 AM
Mine's at that awkward length now (collar). Are there any pics/tutorials showing any of the neat stuff y'all described above? I'm a visual learner. Thanks!

(Lawyergirl, you sound more talented than I'll ever be!)

katienoonan
February 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
Mines a little past shoulder length, but so thin and damaged there that i'll class it as collorbone..!

detritus
February 23rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Mine's also at shoulder length, with a lot of layers. Parting it down the middle and making two of whatever (cinnamon buns, French braids, and recently I can do English braids too) is a lot easier than just one at this length. I can still barely get all of my hair to stay in one ponytail, but I've been wearing two buns for months now. Also, the Gibson tuck is easy and looks fancy. I'm also growing my bangs out and have been doing a twisted braid with my bangs to keep them out of my face--but it would be a cute way to wear your hair even if you don't have bangs.

Zefyra
February 23rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Ive found many different styles I can do at my length. Even with my layers (chin, shoulder and collarbone). Even french braids. Its not too difficult to fb, but it does take patience and some practice. Other than that I do buns, ponies, half ponies, braided half ponies. If you take a bit of time to experiment Im sure you'll find plenty of ways to wear your hair at this length.

chocolateturtl
February 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I also am a layered girl, and that's my real problem with doing braids and stuff.