PDA

View Full Version : Characters From Your Childhood that Influenced your thoughts on long hair.

KellyGormley
February 22nd, 2011, 07:50 PM
Every since I was very little The little mermaid and Hercules have been two of my favorite movies, and Megara and Ariel two of my favorite characters. ( along with the lion king, and mulan ). I realized I loved the movie's and characters for all of their characteristics and features, but Megara's long hair, and Ariel's firey red locks would forever influence my opinion of long hair for the better. I mean hello who wouldn't want to sport this much beautiful hair. So Ariel and Megara are my disney hair crushes. (Esmeralda was 3rd on the list)
Megara:
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/2800000/Megara-in-Hercules-megara-2872476-420-276.jpg

Ariel :
http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/article/736/736840/the-little-mermaid-2-disc-special-edition-20061002040040022-000.jpg

So who's the childhood character that influenced your opinion of long hair?

krissykins
February 22nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Definitely Ariel! I always wanted to be a mermaid with long, red hair :)

Kitteh
February 22nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Mermaids and fairies in general. Also, princesses :) Little Mermaid (BOOK! NOT THE MOVIE!) was my favorite... Most like real life: fights for her love instead of sitting on her butt, looking pretty, doing nothing and waiting for her rescue. Sitting pretties got their happy endings.

Then the Soup Nazi of moral said to the Little Mermaid: NO PRINCE FOR YOU!!! :P

kitschy
February 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
My grandmother was the youngest of five daughters. She was born in 1894. She is pictured in my avatar. When I was a young girl in the 1960's, my grandmother would have sleep-overs with her sisters who lived in a neighboring town.

They would spend the evenings reminiscing, drinking tea and laughing - these were genteel women from another era. They wore gloves, and hats, and dressed-up to go out shopping. I was fortunate to be included in their special times.

As evening approached and supper was put away and dishes washed, my great-aunts and my grandmother would slather on rich, fragrant creams, and put on fresh, cotton nightgowns, then they would let their hair out.....literally.

Down would come the coils and braids, and out would come the boar bristle brushes. Pure white, wavy, hair of classic length would trail down the backs of chairs as sisters brushed their sister's pure white, gleaming tresses.

Not long after, during the 70's, my grandmother cut her hair. I never knew until this moment how much I missed it - perhaps I am trying to recreate a bonding I shared with five woman from another time.

homeschoolmama
February 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Oh Kitschy, what beautiful memories!

When I was a little girl, there was a lady at my church with classic-length salt-and-pepper hair. She always wore it loose with a single barrette, and I remember sitting in her lap during Children's Church with her hair just exuding lavender fragrance. I have wanted hair like that literally all my life.

ladylovecraft
February 22nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
There are quite a few of my favorite video game villains who had long, gorgeous flowing hair... but the top of the list is the one and only... :D:heartbeat
http://dreager1.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/sephiroth___plannet_corruption_by_yukikominazuki.j pg
Sephiroth!
Classic-length silver hair on a boy, what could be better?

ashlayne
February 22nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
This may make me a total and utter geek, but... The Princess Bride.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNDA4OTE4MzIxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzU4MjM3._V1._ SX485_SY330_.jpg

In every single camera shot except a few, her hair looked so carelessly gorgeous throughout the film. The movie itself is great, but her hair is AMAZING, plain and simple. (I guess I'm just jealous of the natural waves...)

lacefrost
February 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Oh wow kitschy, that sounds absolutely lovely. I kind of want to be that kind of lady as I grow. Wearing my hair up all the time and only letting it down at home, in the company of family and close friends.

More on topic: I always loooooved Jasmine's hair from Aladdin. Oh and those centaurettes in Fantasia. This lady has quite a few stills from the movie if you want to see: http://blog.johannaost.com/2008/11/23/fantasia

Vintagecoilylocks
February 22nd, 2011, 10:29 PM
The way my father spoke about my great grandmothers long soft braid. I grew up with the image that a man truelly admires a woman with long hair. I wanted to be that same admired woman one day. Then I was always drawn to paintings and stories with woman with long hair. The ones that show a womans powerful loviness in her crowning glory.

Dorothy
February 22nd, 2011, 10:43 PM
Kitchy, I am with Lacefrost, that is a beautiful memory. I dream of knowing other women who would hang out with me in groups and do Henna and other beauty treatments.... in my youth I had this with women I knew, but we were all doing such toxic crap then... and I don't know women in my life now who care this much about hair. An Indian woman I know from work told me about sitting on the roof at her childhood home in India with all the other women and girls once a week, putting oil in their hair and sitting in the sun for hours.

I didn't have enough access to pop culture when I was young to have hair heroes like Ariel - I'm old - but my sister was adopted and whenever we talked about what her mother was like we imagined her with classic (well, we called it butt length) hair. When we finally met her 20 years later her hair was 2 inches long.

kitschy
February 23rd, 2011, 04:50 AM
Sorry to all, that my post was off topic.

When I read 'character,' well...um, I wasn't thinking about cartoon, or movie characters, but it brought to mind real life characters. Back in my day, I guess Wilma Flinstone wore an updo - there wasn't a lot of long, long hair on display. Oh yeah, there was Morticia from the Adam's Family, but I didn't really relate to her.

SwordWomanRiona
February 23rd, 2011, 06:00 AM
Since I was a little child, I have loved and wanted to have long hair. My mother says one the first drawings I ever did (still have it) is a woman without arms but with loads and loads of long, long hair (:D lol). So naturally, I loved all the girls from the children's cartoon movies because they all had long lovely hair. I still like their long hair, but I don't like the films, in general - they are just so patriarchal I can't stand them. I only watch them in order to criticize them (one of my pastimes, actually, feminist criticism...But this is off-topic already :)).

Qadupae
February 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Its weird because when I was young, I remember watching Crystal Gale(sp?) on the tv or something that my mom or aunts were watching, so I used to always say I wanted hair like hers as a kid. Funny that I'm doing it now finally after all these years ^_^ I just won't be going as long as her.

Fingolphin
February 23rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin, and (though not from my childhood; I'm too old for that :D) the elven styles from The Lord of the Rings.

Kaichita
February 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hello all! The person who inspired me to have long hair when I was a child was SARAH from the movie LABYRINTH! lol! http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ph8V052fCNE/S6zadIZDh9I/AAAAAAAAH_U/kLbgIj2wCSw/s1600/connelly.jpg

Loreley
February 23rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
Princess Jasmine was my favourite. I loved Mars's hair in Sailor Moon and Ariel's. And of course Rapunzel. :D

Yamainu
February 24th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Sailor Moon, and the Waterhouse paintings - such gorgeous long locks!

Oh, also Oddette from The Swan Princess made me eternally sad I have strait hair instead of gorgeous blonde waves.

JulietCapulet
February 24th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Daryl Hannah in Splash, the Princess Bride, Barbies, Princess Jasmine

varintalonguard
February 24th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I've has so many characters make want long hair as a little girl. I loved Odette from swan princess and sleeping beauty.

dinnee
February 24th, 2011, 02:06 AM
My mother in law has had classic length all her life and she gave me the drive to try and grow it. I didn't know how until I found this com two months ago, but she always inspired me. My husband loves long hair on women and he's encouraging and supporting me very much.

As a child I loved Ariel and princess Jasmin, but my favourite movie of all time was The Lion King. :D

Sylph
February 24th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Oh, this thread could just as easily be called 'please give away your approximate age by mentioning shows from your childhood' ;)

When I was very young, 5 or 6 maybe, I wanted to grow my pixie hair out into twin bunches so I could look like 'Cupcake' from 'Fonz and the Happy Days Gang'. After that, I just kind of kept growing it, partially because I *hated* my mum cutting my hair!

Yosha
February 24th, 2011, 04:18 AM
When I was a kid I watched the show "Tita Tovenaar" (tovenaar=sorcerer), and I loved Tika's hair (the blonde girl) and tried to get hair like that when I was a little older. I permed and dyed my hair blonde, but it looked awful on me and my hair couldn't handle it :rolleyes: Now I'm going for Grobelia (the dark haired witch), without the short curls on top. Sorry I couldn't find a picture of Grobelia, only a clip but both of them show up pretty early (unfortunately only in Dutch), love her dress btw:D: http://www.123video.nl/playvideos.asp?MovieID=851498

hina87
April 10th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Jasmine--from the disney movie...I wasn't very little at the time but it definitely influenced by thoughts abt. growing out my long hair..

ElvenArchess
April 10th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Three characters: Jasmine, Pocahontas, and Lucius Malfoy from the Harry Potter movies. Such beautiful, perfect hair! Who wouldn't want luxurious long hair after watching them?

MissCoco
April 10th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Ariel, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Odette, Barbies, Tomoyo from Cardcaptor Sakura, Peau d'Ane (French story) etc. all inspired me early on. Probably even some other characters that I can't remember right now... oh, I also remember a gorgeous Asian hairdresser with long nails and hip-length hair when I was 6-- I couldn't stop admiring how feminine and stunning she was with her hair!

TakeAPotatoChip
April 10th, 2011, 10:54 PM
None. :shrug: I don't have any hair idols + I don't think of long hair as being particularly sexy or feminine when compared to shorter hair. I think more's fun to play with :)

VitaR86
April 10th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I always loved Ariel as a kid. She didn't exactly influence me to grow my hair, but I did always love her red hair.

faerielady
April 10th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I wish I would have had some long haired role models or cartoon characters that I preferred as a child, but cartoons were pretty much limited to Loony Tunes and all my female (and male!) relatives had short hair.

teela1978
April 11th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Remember "The Last Unicorn"? I haven't seen it since I was little, but there was a girl in there (the unicorn? I think she changed form...) with awesome long white hair. That's the character that sticks out the most. She's kind of a fuzzy image. I mostly remember fire and waves with unicorns in them and skeletons. That was a scary movie.

lilravendark
April 11th, 2011, 02:40 AM
definitely the sailor moon series though mercury was my fav even though she had short hair lol. Marge simpson has very long hair and I absolutely adore her, Lily munster too used to watch the re runs after school when I was little. I also loved Eva Gabors hair in green acres her pretty updos :D

Venefica
April 11th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I have always loved the spooky and creepy, I have been that way for as long as I can remember. My first hair idol was Wednesday Addams, I so wanted to have long, black, twin braids down my back like her.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/294/wednesday2e.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/wednesday2e.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Another character which really inspired my hair was Duchess Ravenwaves the main villain from Lady Lovely Locks, she had yet black, knee length hair with bangs and I so wanted her hair.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6862/1065753064urescomrav.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/1065753064urescomrav.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Fingolphin
April 11th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Remember "The Last Unicorn"? I haven't seen it since I was little, but there was a girl in there (the unicorn? I think she changed form...) with awesome long white hair. That's the character that sticks out the most. She's kind of a fuzzy image. I mostly remember fire and waves with unicorns in them and skeletons. That was a scary movie.

That is an absolute classic. It's out on blu now. You should watch it again!

Aleria
April 11th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Pocahontas. Even though most of my aunts had long, brown, wavy hair (just like I would later in life, growing up it was quite straight), for some reason she was the "Indian Princess" image in my head. I still dye my hair black most of the time!

xoerincolleen
April 11th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I adore the Disney princesses, and they all have beautiful hair! Belle was always my favorite princess (because she reads!) but I love Ariel's long mermaid hair.
I work in my college's weight room, taking IDs, and one time last year, this really buff guy told me I had "cool hair, like Ariel's"- it was pretty funny and very flattering!

Dark Rosaleen
April 11th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Definetly The Princess Bride. I loved her hair best at the beginning of the movie when it is down and wavy. Perhaps mine will look like that someday.

Guccigirlxx
April 11th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm not really sure... I watched a lot of anime, so probably someone like sailor moon, inuyasha, hatsune miku... :]

Paladin
April 11th, 2011, 12:27 PM
My long hair inspiration?

Brad Pitt. Interview with the Vampire.

Nothing more needs to be said... :cool:

http://www.carter-stephenson.co.uk/louis/louis8.jpg

Fingolphin
April 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM

http://www.carter-stephenson.co.uk/louis/louis8.jpg

I forgot about that! Yeah, that was a big influence on me in high school, as well as Tom Cruise's in that movie! ;)

teela1978
April 11th, 2011, 12:57 PM
That is an absolute classic. It's out on blu now. You should watch it again!
I found it on youtube :) She just escaped from the carnival thing.

Scarlet_Heart
April 11th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Winny Cooper from Wonder Years.

Oh and as Venefica mentioned, Lady Lovely Locks of course!

Scarlet_Heart
April 11th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Winny Cooper from Wonder Years.

Fethenwen
April 11th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Oh wow kitschy, that sounds absolutely lovely. I kind of want to be that kind of lady as I grow. Wearing my hair up all the time and only letting it down at home, in the company of family and close friends.

More on topic: I always loooooved Jasmine's hair from Aladdin. Oh and those centaurettes in Fantasia. This lady has quite a few stills from the movie if you want to see: http://blog.johannaost.com/2008/11/23/fantasia
Love those centaurettes! Such a cute movie.

This thread really brings back memories :)

I too adored Jasmines hair:

Who wouldn't?
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/moonlit-sonnet/Disney/Aladdin/Jasmine/brushing.png

And I also liked Lady Lovelylocks for some reason, but I was always puzzled why the blond one was always the one winning.
I had this book:
http://cliqueypizza.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/lady-lovelylocks-book.jpg

Later on when I was a teen I wanted a braid like Lara Croft's so bad:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a309/justgrec/Tomb%20Raider/laracroft50_by_Nicobass.jpg

Edit: Oh and I forgot, disneys Ariel the mermaid! One of my all time favourite disney characters :D And favourite hair.

Dark Queen
April 11th, 2011, 02:11 PM
There are quite a few of my favorite video game villains who had long, gorgeous flowing hair... but the top of the list is the one and only... :D:heartbeat
http://dreager1.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/sephiroth___plannet_corruption_by_yukikominazuki.j pg
Sephiroth!
Classic-length silver hair on a boy, what could be better?

This is awesome :D. Also seconded on the Fantasia centaurs, Sailor Moon, and the Adams family/Munsters.

AuburnTresses
April 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Oh kitschy I love the story about your Grandmother and Great-Aunts. I wish I could have seen their hair - it sounds absolutely gorgeous!

I've never had anything that really made me want long hair. Actually I always wanted shorter hair, and then by accident ('cause I never know what to do with my hair) fell into having and loving long hair.

Off to find myself some long hair inspiration... :)

Fingolphin
April 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM
This is awesome :D. Also seconded on the Fantasia centaurs, Sailor Moon, and the Adams family/Munsters.

I like to play him on Dissidia: Final Fantasy, largely because of the hair. :) Sephiroth I'm referring to, of course.

Silverhalo
April 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Oh my, I know none of you will recognize my influence!
I think I am older than most of your mothers are . My influence was even older. I grew up near a small town in rural Michigan. Every week or two, Mom took us to town to the library. There, I discovered the books by a midwest writer from the turn of the previous century.

From Wikipedia:
"Gene Stratton-Porter (August 17, 1863 – December 6, 1924) was an American author, amateur naturalist, wildlife photographer, and one of the earliest women to form a movie studio and production company. She wrote some best-selling novels and well-received columns in national magazines, such as McCalls. Her works were translated into several languages, including Braille, and Stratton-Porter was estimated to have 50 million readers around the world.[1] She used her position and income as a well-known author to support conservation of Limberlost Swamp and other wetlands in the state of Indiana. Her novel A Girl of the Limberlost was adapted four times as a film, most recently in 1990 in a made-for-TV version."

The Girl of the Limberlost, Elnora, was my hair hero. She was poor and had lived her life on a farm, rarely going to town. When she reached the age for high school, she decided that she would go, despite discouragement from her mother and having only old-fashioned clothes and heavy old shoes to wear. Her mother made her slick her long curly hair down with water. But a neighbor found out how she had been teased, so made her some modern dresses and bought light leather shoes and hair ribbons. Elnora worked hard to pay the school fees and buy her books, and even saved enough for college. Later in the book, as her mother climbs out of her depression and decides to go see Elnora graduate, her mother lets her hair down and washes it as she begins her own transformation to modern style and dress. Hair, cared for and done beautifully, was a woman's crowning glory in an old-fashioned way.

Fingolphin
April 11th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Oh my, I know none of you will recognize my influence!
I think I am older than most of your mothers are . My influence was even older. I grew up near a small town in rural Michigan. Every week or two, Mom took us to town to the library. There, I discovered the books by a midwest writer from the turn of the previous century.

From Wikipedia:
"Gene Stratton-Porter (August 17, 1863 – December 6, 1924) was an American author, amateur naturalist, wildlife photographer, and one of the earliest women to form a movie studio and production company. She wrote some best-selling novels and well-received columns in national magazines, such as McCalls. Her works were translated into several languages, including Braille, and Stratton-Porter was estimated to have 50 million readers around the world.[1] She used her position and income as a well-known author to support conservation of Limberlost Swamp and other wetlands in the state of Indiana. Her novel A Girl of the Limberlost was adapted four times as a film, most recently in 1990 in a made-for-TV version."

The Girl of the Limberlost, Elnora, was my hair hero. She was poor and had lived her life on a farm, rarely going to town. When she reached the age for high school, she decided that she would go, despite discouragement from her mother and having only old-fashioned clothes and heavy old shoes to wear. Her mother made her slick her long curly hair down with water. But a neighbor found out how she had been teased, so made her some modern dresses and bought light leather shoes and hair ribbons. Elnora worked hard to pay the school fees and buy her books, and even saved enough for college. Later in the book, as her mother climbs out of her depression and decides to go see Elnora graduate, her mother lets her hair down and washes it as she begins her own transformation to modern style and dress. Hair, cared for and done beautifully, was a woman's crowning glory in an old-fashioned way.

I remember seeing the 90's version when I was a kid, but I don't really remember it very well.

Dark Queen
April 11th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I like to play him on Dissidia: Final Fantasy, largely because of the hair. :) Sephiroth I'm referring to, of course.

Same here! I love that picture of him too :D

Slinks
April 11th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Mine was Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie .. *sigh* to have it all in a blink of an eye !! :-)

Slinks
April 11th, 2011, 04:25 PM
My grandmother was the youngest of five daughters. She was born in 1894. She is pictured in my avatar. When I was a young girl in the 1960's, my grandmother would have sleep-overs with her sisters who lived in a neighboring town.

They would spend the evenings reminiscing, drinking tea and laughing - these were genteel women from another era. They wore gloves, and hats, and dressed-up to go out shopping. I was fortunate to be included in their special times.

As evening approached and supper was put away and dishes washed, my great-aunts and my grandmother would slather on rich, fragrant creams, and put on fresh, cotton nightgowns, then they would let their hair out.....literally.

Down would come the coils and braids, and out would come the boar bristle brushes. Pure white, wavy, hair of classic length would trail down the backs of chairs as sisters brushed their sister's pure white, gleaming tresses.

Not long after, during the 70's, my grandmother cut her hair. I never knew until this moment how much I missed it - perhaps I am trying to recreate a bonding I shared with five woman from another time.

WOW !! nice story :-)

Slinks
April 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
but my sister was adopted and whenever we talked about what her mother was like we imagined her with classic (well, we called it butt length) hair. When we finally met her 20 years later her hair was 2 inches long.

lol, that is funny :D

Slinks
April 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Oh yeah, there was Morticia from the Adam's Family, but I didn't really relate to her.

How about Lily Munster ?? now there was a pretty lady I liked with her long flowing hair too ..

Slinks
April 11th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Daryl Hannah in Splash,

Oh YES !! lol, I totally had a crush on her :-)

Slinks
April 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM

OH, talk about vampires I so totally fell in love with Keifer Sutherland in the Lost Boys !! :-)

Slinks
April 11th, 2011, 04:59 PM
OMG, I can't believe I didn't mention Princess Fiona !! lol, I have her, Shrek and the gang set as my screen saver - I just love them ..

and my Bellydancing idol for hair is Ansuya .. :-)