PDA

View Full Version : Should I dye over my highlights?

sweetm
February 22nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
I have very dark brown hair (approaching black), and had some lighter brown highlights put in last summer. Now, they are fading and have started looking like straw yellow/blonde, and I want to revert back to my natural dark brown.

Question is: Can I dye over them? If so, any recommendations on what brand/product I should use to minimize damage? I've never dyed my own hair before, so would love any tips you can offer.

jaine
February 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
I did that with henna and indigo ... my hair is almost black and I had blonde highlights. Henna and indigo covered it up and I got a close enough match that I could grow it out without any more coloring. It was a dark reddish brown - more red than my natural color but the difference was probably only noticeable to me.

UltraBella
February 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
I would suggest a Demi color, it will be less damaging than a permanent color, but your bleached highlights will probably hold the color almost as well as a permanent. I would suggest a shade lighter than your natural color, sometimes bleached strands will really absorb the color and it can come out a bit darker.
I am only really familiar with professional Demi colors, so I don't have any recommendations if you are doing it yourself at home.
Good luck !

sweetm
February 22nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
I would suggest a Demi color, it will be less damaging than a permanent color, but your bleached highlights will probably hold the color almost as well as a permanent. I would suggest a shade lighter than your natural color, sometimes bleached strands will really absorb the color and it can come out a bit darker.
I am only really familiar with professional Demi colors, so I don't have any recommendations if you are doing it yourself at home.
Good luck !

Thanks! I'm hoping that whatever I do, it doesn't change my base color too much cuz I don't want roots to show when my new growth comes in.