PDA

View Full Version : Bleached hair + Manic Panic dye

lifeis2evil
February 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
I bleached my hair twice to dye it manic panic red and now after a month I want to re-dye it as the color has faded and my roots are showing. But can I just bleach the roots and apply the manic all over or do I have to re-bleach everything to have it come out even? and would anyone recommend a red which looks like vamp red + infra red which last longer than manic? Cuz it faded super fast considering I washed my hair only once a week using very cold water :/

Coan-Teen
February 22nd, 2011, 07:20 PM
You should be able to just bleach the roots and have it match most likely. If anything just leave the dye over the roots for longer if it comes out uneven the first time you apply. And you can always strand test before hand to see if it matches first time.

As for more permanent reds you could try elumen. Just google it. The color is fairly permanent, especially in the red shades.

ladylovecraft
February 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
I'd say you have to bleach your roots, depending on how dark they are. Over a light blonde you should be okay, but even a dishwater blonde will need to be bleached. As for bright reds that last longer, I'd personally recommend Special Effects Nuclear Red/Blood Red, depending on what color you want.

RancheroTheBee
February 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
You only need to do the roots. Most brands of bleach will remove warm Manic Panic shades in about a minute (yes, seriously) so be careful to concentrate it on the roots.

There's Special Effects, which lasts a very long time, even with warmer colours. However, next time I might suggest leaving it on overnight and also heat processing it. To heat-process, run a blowdryer on warm over the Saran wrap on your hair about an hour before you intend to rinse it.

HTH!

Roscata
February 23rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
I agree with everyone else who said roots only. You might want to consider an overnight Coconut Oil oiling and bleaching on still oiled hair the next day in order to protect your hair from damage.
More info here: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495&highlight=coconut+peroxide)
Red hair rules, you should consider henna, it doesn't fade. ;)
Good luck! :D

pink.sara
February 23rd, 2011, 01:05 AM
^ what they said! You only ever need to do the roots again to have a match when using the same dye colour.
I tend to experiment with my White blonde streak using manic panic and stargazer (UK based) temporary colours alot and find that the fade on mine with a wash every other day means red or blue will need re doing every 2-3 weeks and I bleach roots every 4-6.
Saying that I go from pale pink-fushia pink-red-purple and then every now and again when I'm bleaching my roots I mix the leftover bleach with conditioner, spread it through to the ends and take my streak back to White!
You can have alot of fun as long as you don't keep rebleaching the length with full strength, but really vivid cartoon colours will always fade fast.
:)

pixiedust
February 23rd, 2011, 01:09 AM
pravana.

its professional only but you could probably find some online.
will not come out. ;)

pink.sara
February 23rd, 2011, 05:49 AM
pravana.

its professional only but you could probably find some online.
will not come out. ;)

Hi pixiedust, I hate to say it but the red in my sig pic above was Pravana Vivid and it did still wash out :(
It faded to a pink orange around my roots after about 3 weeks, plus it cost me alot more than manic panic and had more chemicals in so I gave up on it quite quickly.
I know it works really well for some though and did find it was a gorgeous red so may be worth a try.
Just my opinion :)

Monkie
February 23rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
I came on here to mention special effects, but it seems like a lot of people did already. You probably don't have to bleach your hair as light as you think to be able to get those colors to show up, since vampire red is a bit on the darker end of the Manic Panic Spectrum though, imo.

Anywhere
February 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
I agree, only the roots need bleach. Over-processing the already bleached parts can make the color was out faster. If you're worried about the color not sticking well there then you could always shampoo and not condition before putting on the color.

Rye Petey
February 23rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
I have gray coming in YIKES (I'm in my 30's) I did a touch up with an OTC dye kit. But then after my 1st time baking soda and vinegar rinse it all washed out. I'm a medium blonde with rusty undertones (was born with strawberry blonde). Ideas??? short of paying a professional to dye it-I hate to spend that money since its just the grays I want dyed.

Roscata
February 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
I have gray coming in YIKES (I'm in my 30's) I did a touch up with an OTC dye kit. But then after my 1st time baking soda and vinegar rinse it all washed out. I'm a medium blonde with rusty undertones (was born with strawberry blonde). Ideas??? short of paying a professional to dye it-I hate to spend that money since its just the grays I want dyed.

You can get strawberry blonde with (80%) cassia and (20%) henna (mix). One of our own members GRU does that to cover her grays. Look her up to see the color she gets.
Of course you can always just use Cassia, that will give you blonde streaks where your whites are. Here's a link with photos of what Cassia and henna/cassia mixes look like on white hair: Cassia (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/cassiaobovatabuy.html).
Good luck! :D

lifeis2evil
February 23rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Thank you so much for all the replies <3 so glad I don't have to re-bleach everything haha was getting a bit worried as my ends are still pretty mad with me >_< I mixed the vampire red + infra (both amplified) and put it on left it on/wrapped it left all night woke up used blow dyer for a few mins, unwrapped and washed with cold water then white vinegar + water and water again. This cold water is a killer lol but since they say it helps keep it I do it. I think special effects is what I used to use in highschool but not sure what color mix to get :( I really love the color I got mixing the VR and IR. I do have henna and was planning to henna but I liked the color I had too much and didn't want it to be darken thou I've been wanting to henna for a really long time

lifeis2evil
February 23rd, 2011, 04:58 PM
This is what it looks like now after 3 weeks (looks way brighter outside) roots are really dark :(

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7334

Roscata
February 23rd, 2011, 05:02 PM
You know hennahut (http://www.hennahut.com/hair_dye) has some henna pre-mixes that may work on darker hair. At least get some samples because as dark as your natural hair color is I doubt henna will show very much. And always remember to do a strand test just to be sure you know which color you're going to get and give it 7 days to properly oxidase to it's final color.