PDA

View Full Version : Oil shampoo and avc rinse disaster

PrincessTieflin
February 22nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
I tried the oil shampoo method last night followed by a AVC rinse, and even before I got out of the shower I could tell oil shampoo was not going to work.. I gave it a second try... just to see if perhaps I was wrong the first time.. Nope.

Now my hair feels greasy nasty and like velcro.. and nothing I try made it better. Tried to shampoo and condish again this morning.. and its still dry tangled and nasty..

what do i do to fix it ? Last time I had this issue it was with baking soda and it took what seemed like weeks for my hair to regain its former sleek softness.

monsterna
February 22nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
I'm no expert, but maybe you could try a really deep conditioning treatment. No shampoo or anything else, just conditioner. Something with cones in it. Glob it on and leave it on your hair for at least 5 minutes, and maybe even under a shower cap.

I hope this helps or someone else can chime in with something!

PrincessTieflin
February 22nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
monsterna

thanks for your reply, perhaps tonite when I am soaking in the bath I will let my hair soak in condish...

I really dont know what happened.. I use Coconut oil and AVC everyday.. Perhaps the coconut oil and shampoo was to much.. I rarely use shampoo mostly I am a co

monsterna
February 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
I am CO as well. I use a coney conditioner, though, because my hair needs them. So I have to clarify more often than people here who don't use cones. And my hair feels awful when I have to, but the next night after it and doing CO it feels back to normal.

Hopefully that's kind of what your hair's going through now.

Deborah
February 22nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
If I were you I would do a good CO wash. That should get the oil and shampoo residue out. I tried the oil shampoo thing also, and it was a disaster for me too. It left my hair terribly tangled, flat and absolutely FULL of static. This was a several weeks try out too. It just is not a good option for some of us. I'm back to CO or Indian herbs, and my hair does very well with these. No more shampoo for me, especially not with coconut oil!

PrincessTieflin
February 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Perhaps I should do a good clarify, then CO soak ? Just to be sure that I get it all out?

monsterna
February 22nd, 2011, 08:02 PM
Depends on how clarifying makes your hair feel. Makes mine feel like crap and tangly before I condition. Maybe you could do the deep conditioning and after you rinse it out, if it feels like it's still in, then clarify, and do another deep CO.

HintOfMint
February 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Did you clarify before you did the oil shampoo? If you only CO-ed before this, your hair probably still had conditioner on the length that interfered with the oil shampoo. Grease+velcro feeling sounds like classic buildup.

You probably need a good clarifier and deep conditioning. Also be careful with the shampoo, some SLS shampoos have things like cones and polyquats that can cause buildup just as bad as a conditioner. Neutrogena makes a great clarifying shampoo, I think it has "anti-residue" in the title.

SheaLynne
February 22nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
I had exactly that description in my dd's hair (also 3a/3b hair). I did a baking soda rinse to clarify beforehand, and did the coconut oil and shampoo (she usually gets great results with conditioner only, so this was a big experiment for us), followed by ACV rinse. It was horrible! Dry, velcro-y, tangled and just bad! We CO washed her hair the next couple of nights and it went back to normal. Oh, and we normally use olive oil and condish as a leave-in on her, but coconut oil doesn't do well on her hair as a leave-in either.

Ironically, the same combination of stuff was fantastic on my own hair, and it also loves coconut oil as a leave-in. Definitely depends on the hair!

pepperminttea
February 22nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
Did you clarify before you did the oil shampoo? If you only CO-ed before this, your hair probably still had conditioner on the length that interfered with the oil shampoo. Grease+velcro feeling sounds like classic buildup.

I was wondering this too. Also, do you usually use 'cones? When I first went 'cone-free my hair was awful; tangly, dry, splits on nearly every end I looked at (it's quite happy being mostly 'cone-free now, but at first... oh it was bad). If your oil shampoo routine is 'cone-free, your hair might be giving you a subtle hint that it rather likes 'cones. ;)

As for fixing it; I'd clarify and then break out the deep treatments. SMT, deep oiling, a homemade recipe, or a favourite conditioner - whatever your hair usually responds best to. Good luck. :)

PrincessTieflin
February 23rd, 2011, 10:20 AM
I did a good clarify last night, and a deep condish.. My ends were still nasty :/

But this mornig I did a 2 step CO, and it feels somewhat better. It will be hard to tell until It is dry.