PDA

View Full Version : I just found my first gray hair

owlathena
February 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
...and my second and third.

I'm only 20 years old! Do I need to run over and add myself to the renegray gang?!?! Did anyone else get their first grays at my age?

Copasetic
February 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
I sure did! I was probably 20 or 21 when I found my first grey hair . . . maybe younger. Now I have a few of them, but I pluck them out. Once they start to grow in numbers, I will dye my hair, but right now there aren't enough to warrant that.

Juneii
February 22nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
I don't think a few is enough to be worried about you have way more hair than that for it to actually make a difference. I find several here and there as well. I found a strand once where it alternated between gray and black.

ETA: I found my first gray hair when I was 6. There was only one or two. They will always be one or two gray strands somewhere, there just aren't enough to notice all the time.

rocket_surgeon
February 22nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
Oh, I found my first greys in my mid-teens. I'm in my twenties now and I only have a couple more, though I probably have the genes to go completely grey by the time I hit 35. :D

I think it's not unusual to find a couple of grey hairs in your twenties. I think it's only a problem if you suddenly develop a lot of them, in which case you should probably go see a doctor.

estelwen
February 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Me too, and I'm just twenty six.

CurlySoleil
February 22nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Don't feel bad! I am around 3 months away from 25 yrs. and I noticed my first grey a few months ago. Key word is *noticed*. LOL! I'm pretty confident that I've had a grey strand or two hiding in my huge mass of kinky curls for a while. Haha! My mom went grey early in life as well. I want to say she was around my age. Early to mid-twenties. I think a lot of people start to notice grey hairs around this age. :) I'm actually hoping that when my hair truly begins to grey, it does so evenly so that I can rock a sexy grey 'fro!

owlathena
February 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
Theres three of them in various places along my part, all about an inch and a half long. I didn't dig around looking for more. I like em. Its just weird, because I feel like I'm still a kid.

McFearless
February 22nd, 2011, 06:56 PM
*british accent* Keep calm and carry on.

My grandma didn't get grays until she was sixty. *crosses fingers*

aznchck14
February 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah I found my first not too long ago, and then my second, and my third...and I'm 23

CariadA
February 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
I have three white hairs and am 23. I pluck them out.
I told my mother about them, and she said she had a few by my age. She is in her 60's now and still has about 10 gray hairs, so it does not mean that having a few gray hairs at a young age will lead to premature graying.

HintOfMint
February 22nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
I've found one or two here and there since I was 16. It's never gotten to the point of "going grey." I wouldn't worry. Besides, even if you join the renegreys, a young face with grey streaks is so striking and gorgeous.

Prettychild
February 22nd, 2011, 11:03 PM
I had 3 gray hair by the time I was 6yo. Yup. Of course I ended up with lots and lots more as the years went by. In my mid thirties now with about 30% grays. I used to be self conscious about it until I met this co-worker who was 50% white -and she was only 22! She was fine with it because she said it gave her freedom to experiment with hair dye. I dye my hair with a mix of henna/indigo so I get a beauty treatment and colour in one. ;)

pepperminttea
February 22nd, 2011, 11:28 PM
Don't panic. :) Going by previous threads like this, most people find their first greys in their late teens and twenties, it's completely normal.

Malaguena
February 23rd, 2011, 12:47 AM
Yep, I have a few gray hairs. Their texture is very different, too; they're coarse and crinkly. I have a completely white hair at the back of my head, that just keeps growing white and crinkly no matter what. It's never fallen out, and it's been there for years now. I noticed the actual gray hairs last summer, right after childbirth. Wonder if hormones play a role in this?

Nastasia
February 23rd, 2011, 12:51 AM
My boyfriend found my first gray when I was 16. Now, 10 years later, I have a Rogue streak. I <3 my Rogue streak. :D

milagro
February 23rd, 2011, 01:03 AM
Don't worry it's normal to have a strand or two lacking pigment especially if you hair is on lighter side. Some people are prone to premature gray, I started spotting my silvers in my late 20s. My mother did in her early 20s. There's nothing to do with it (except dye or embrace). If it's not health related you won't get gray before your genes define :) Check your ration for vitamins & minerals though, insufficient intake of some like cuprum may cause premature gray.

BabyRay33
February 23rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
I too found a gray a couple weeks after turning 25. It isn't there any longer though!

freecelt
February 23rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
22 and I've found about 1/2 a dozen. I freaked out till I saw a friend who's about 26 who had a few more than me :P

Anje
February 23rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
I found my first at 12, and it was a foot long! They've multiplied slowly for me, at least until I started grad school. That's getting blamed for the dozen or two that I have now!

Don't even think about whether or not to dye until you've got a lot more sparklies. A few aren't noticable. Though if you're like me and want to have long gray hair someday, it's worth considering whether you'll stop dyeing early enough for it to gray out naturally, or if you want to have a line of demarcation for several years of grow-out.

Mírien
February 23rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
It was my mother who spotted my first gray. She was braiding my hair and suddenly shouted "A gray!". Yeah, very funny, mom... Since then I noticed another, so now I am a proud owner of two tiny little grays. :rolleyes: But I am not worried, I am only 21 and I do not really expect having more of them in the close future. Actually, I would be happy to keep those two grays - and not more - till the age of sixty. :cool:

owlathena
February 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
I definitely wont dye them. I like them and actually hope I get more. I was just really surprised! Nobody prepared me for it; I'd never put a single thought into graying hair. My mother is in her 40s with just a few grays, but my grandmother was completely gray by her 40s. So I don't know which'll happen to me.

alittle722
February 23rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
I'm 22 and I am probably close to 10% gray!

Ravenne
February 23rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
When I was 21 I found a whole clump of them at the nape of my neck. :p I'm rather fond of my silver streak. Now, I *saw* it when I was 21, but it was about 8 months of growth when I first found it. So it started growing that way when I was 20 at the latest. Who knows how long it was there and I just never noticed.

Quixotica
February 23rd, 2011, 07:26 PM
Absolutely! I found my first gray when I was 21, now I'm 29 and I'm about 60% gray. My mother was completely gray at 35. Yay genetics!

I chemically color my hair. I hate my grays, and I don't feel bad about the coloring. I tried going natural but I felt so horrible.....good for you for embracing your silvers!