PDA

View Full Version : ACV dyeing?

monsterna
February 22nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
So I can't remember where I saw this or if I misread something, but can ACV add red tints to hair?

I couldn't find a thread on this, so feel free to redirect me if there is one! :)

wavykisses
February 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Im my personal experience it does, but I think it really depends of your hair.
Many people used it without any dyeing/lightening, and works really good on their
scalp.
My hair is really black and I used ACV very diluted and now my ends are redish/brown,
even with white vinegar my hair still gets lighten.
It is a matter of try and see. I'm really sure it was the vinegar because as soon
as I stopped using it my hair didn't lighten any more.
So for now I used a cold infusion of rosemary tea, leave there a couple of minutes
and then rising it.
You should try and see if it works for you, maybe on your won't dye at all.

pixistixx
February 22nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
I've heard of it turning silver hair yellowish, but i think it could be removed by switching to a few white vinegar rinses

Zefyra
February 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hmm... This is interesting.. Im hoping for some definite answers because I would be inclined to try it if it would work. Especially if the ACV would bring out reddish tones in my hair... Hm.. Research time!!

polette
February 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
I use a ACV rinse after every wash, and I have not noticed any color changes... But, everyone has different hair. I would be interested to know if the dilution had anything to do with it. I use about 1/4 cup of acv to a quart of water, and then do a really quick rinse after, works perfectly...

skaempfer
February 22nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
This is true. I used the rinse on my youngest daughter and it changed the color noticeably. However, when I decided to try a weaker dilution, the coloring was much subtler.

Her starting color was light brown, and she got an auburn tint to it after only a few rinses.

monsterna
February 22nd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Would this kind of color change be damaging to the hair in any way, do you think?

pepperminttea
February 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
I use an ACV rinse after every wash, I haven't noticed any damage, but my hair definitely does appear slightly redder (most noticeably under camera flash, it's less obvious in normal light).

wavykisses
February 22nd, 2011, 05:46 PM
I use an ACV rinse after every wash, I haven't noticed any damage, but my hair definitely does appear slightly redder (most noticeably under camera flash, it's less obvious in normal light).

Same for me, not damage just color change. I don't know if it because my hair is slightly damage due to flat ironing (just did the iron for a month), that the color change was mostly on the ends and on the bottom half part of my hair, from my crown to the middle is still very black without any change.
I used to do 1 tbsp for 1 cup and a half of water