PDA

View Full Version : Products with 1 cone - good or bad?

Eirinn
March 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I've recently found a couple of products with a lot of good herbal ingredients and just one cone - usually dimethicone. Do you think it's safe? I mean, does it moisturize hair dispite this silicone?

Iylivarae
March 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I don't use cones at all, so I wouldn't buy the product.

I think it depends on how much of dimethicone is in the shampoo.. so if it's written in one of the first places, I wouldn't buy it. If it is the last or second to the last ingredient, I'd give it a try, maybe your hair likes it.

GlassEyes
March 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Cones aren't 'bad' for hair innately, ti's only when they build up that they cut off moisture, so it'd be fine to use if you wash every few days at least.

But it does depend on the cone for whether it's moisturizing or not. Or allows for it. Dimethicone should be fine, but there are others I'm not so sure of.

Eirinn
March 12th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Iylivarae, I mean conditioners, not shampoos. GlassEyes, I wash my hair every third day but what I've understood so far from long-haired sources is that cones don't allow any moisture in after I put something that contains them on my hair... so I really don't know what to think now:(

Hypnotica
March 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Iylivarae, I mean conditioners, not shampoos. GlassEyes, I wash my hair every third day but what I've understood so far from long-haired sources is that cones don't allow any moisture in after I put something that contains them on my hair... so I really don't know what to think now:(

The only way to be certain about it, is to try cones and try non-cones.

The only kind of general rule I've seen is that fine, thin hair usually likes non-cone and coarse, thick hair usually likes them. But as I said....that is a loose, general rule!

Iylivarae
March 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Eirinn: I don't think that it matters if it is a shampoo or a conditioner... but I wouldn't use it if it was a leave-in product.

But in the end - as hypnotica said - you'll have to try for yourself. Your hair won't just be damaged from using cones once, so you don't lose anything if you try it.

Isilme
March 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM
cones aren't the EVIL! ;) It's just a matter of what your hair likes:)

Eirinn
March 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I'm already using conditioner like this and my hair is doing really great - it also loves serums (they all contain cones) but there's one thing that thrills me: I've read about cones as some kind of cheating on hair - it only looks and feels like moisturized but in fact it's dry, can split and break. So using even one cone - not to mention more of them in one cosmetic - is dangerous...isn't it?

akurah
March 12th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I'm already using conditioner like this and my hair is doing really great - it also loves serums (they all contain cones) but there's one thing that thrills me: I've read about cones as some kind of cheating on hair - it only looks and feels like moisturized but in fact it's dry, can split and break. So using even one cone - not to mention more of them in one cosmetic - is dangerous...isn't it?

No, it's not.

Now that being said, I should probably bow out before I go on my rant against people who are rabidly anti-cone across the board without true science backing them up.

Feisty Redhead
March 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
It depends on what your hair does and doesn't like, as well as what you're trying to achieve. I personally do not like to use cones because when I use them my wurls vanish (I like my unpredictable wurls and I want them around) and my hair just doesn't feel "right" when I use cones.

They're not totally evil, it's all individual. If your hair is doing well with them and you want to keep using them then by all means keep using them. As has been said, the only way to know for sure whether or not your hair likes cones is to try going cone free for a couple weeks and see what happens.

Darscilla
March 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM
No, it's not.

Now that being said, I should probably bow out before I go on my rant against people who are rabidly anti-cone across the board without true science backing them up.

No, please do go on your rant, or I'll have to do it instead. And I've got PMS. It won't be pretty.

Celebrian
March 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM
No, please do go on your rant, or I'll have to do it instead. And I've got PMS. It won't be pretty.

Well, could someone please do it, as I'm all ears (happily no'cone at present, but looking to possibly use something mildly siliconic and pref. water based as a leave-in). :D

chloeishere
March 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Hmmm, could someone maybe put up the cone vs. no-cone article before this gets ugly? That was such a useful resource.

To the OP: cones work for some people, they don't for others. Just like oils (though I think at most people can find at least one oil that works for them). If you aren't sure how your hair feels about them, and you like the ingredients list, go for it!

I don't use cones, but it's not because they are the worst thing ever, I just have fine-ish hair, and I get build up. Without cones, my hair stays cleaner longer, my wurls stay better, and I can use gentler cleaning methods. That's just my experience-- even when I did use cones, my hair generally looked fine, just straighter and with less volume and waves.

I don't think it's good to be rabid in either direction-- just use what's right for you, and try not to act like those who have different responses to ingredients are crazy.

Can't we all just get along?

Celebrian
March 12th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Ah, someone has already posted a poll 'The cone debate, which type suits which hair better' and it's had about 70 replies. Off to have a look... :)

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM
cones are not the enemy, they wouldn't put them in products if they caused harm.

The only way to see is to experiment say a month with cone and then a month without and see which you like most.

I always used cones in the past, but my hair was dyed then, so they suited me then as they added shine and probably protected my damaged hair. This is not to say they don't suit all virgin hair .

nowadays my hair is all virgin and cones are a big no no with me, they make my hair lank and stringy, cone-less for me has been my best discovery my hair feels much smoother and looks shinier without them, but everybody's hair is different with various different textures, colours and needs, so really what is one mans pleasure is another mans poison, try experimenting and let your hair decide.

let us know the result!

akurah
March 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM
There is nothing wrong with cones. People say they seal water out which causes dryness, but cones are typically applied to wet hair and likewise SEAL WATER IN. They are not much different from oils in this specific aspect.

I have NEVER seen any kind of substantiated scientific study, ever, proving silicone harms hair in the least bit.

Now, that being said, not everyone's hair benefits from cones. This is not unusual. Likewise, many people cannot go without for the very same reason some people don't use cones. Using cones can cause dry lifeless and ocassionally frizzy hair that is unmanageable. Likewise, NOT using cones can cause the same in different people.

I use cones and I love them. I also have nothing but respect for cone-free folk as well. It's when some of the cone-free folk get fed misinformation by whomever or whatever, then they go on a bloody jihad against cones by perpetuating this very same misinformation. That gets me aggrivated.

This is also compounded by the fact that I'm exposed far more than I care to be to anti-chemical dingbats by my membership in a different long hair forum. So, there you have it.

Celebrian
March 12th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Akurah so, to clarify (!) things in your view - provided I make sure my hair is well moisturised by something ('cone or no 'cone S&C etc.) then it should be fine to put some kind of silicone product over the top if I think it needs it - provided I take the possibilty of build-up into consideration as well, and am prepared to clarify the hair periodically and also before henna etc.?

That's the conclusion I'm reaching anyway...

akurah
March 12th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Akurah so, to clarify (!) things in your view - provided I make sure my hair is well moisturised by something ('cone or no 'cone S&C etc.) then it should be fine to put some kind of silicone product over the top if I think it needs it - provided I take the possibilty of build-up into consideration as well, and am prepared to clarify the hair periodically and also before henna etc.?

That's the conclusion I'm reaching anyway...

Not exactly. If you know your hair dislikes cones, there's no point in using them. On the other hand, if you know your hair likes cones, by all means.

In my personal experience cones rarely build up if you shampoo regularly, but I don't use cone laden products--most of my cone products have only one or two at most. Plus I use sulfate shampoos, which break down most cones. I only clarify my hair because I have hard water, and only occasionally. I also clarify before henna, but that's usually a given for most.

Mahars
March 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I've also heard that cones work for some people and not for others. I have coarse hair that generally dislikes cones, so I guess I'm atypical in that sense. I think in general, dry hair does worse with cones because they can keep out some of the moisture. In my experience, shampoos and conditioners with cones don't work very well at all because my leave-in can't penetrate through. If I use a cone-free shampoo and conditioner and then a coney leave-in, I have better luck because the leave in traps in the moisture from my conditioner. Just my 2 cents. :)

redcelticcurls
March 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
To the OP, I agree with the others that say that you should jusy try it out yourself. There is not a hard and fast rule of who can and cannot use them.

I'm a coarse 3B and I avoid all 'cones, not so much because the cone itself is bad, but because my hair dislikes the ingredients needed to remove the cones from my hair.

Some hair loves cones, some hair hates cones. YMMV.

With dimethicone, you can see differences. If the dimethicone says PEG as part of it, it will be easier to remove and less likely to build up.

young&reckless
March 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I cone and not cone and cone some and cone alot.

I don't use cones every day, I dont use them when I plan to wear my hair up (to much slip)

I do use them in the rain, I use heavy amounts of cone when I where my hair down and straite

I do use low cone condish when my looks fuzzy to help but let my hair oils pass through.

It realy all depends on you.

Bad poem I know but its realyy a try for a week or month then change back sort of thing.

P.S. I have fine hair and cone work great for me but I use a highly soapy shampoo once a week or so to remove them.

Kirin
March 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I'm not anti or pro silicone. Personally my hair (fine, thin) hates them, makes it stick straight and odd feeling, and very very flat. However my husband, who has massive amounts of hair that "poufs" and has a wave you wouldnt believe, MUST have silicone, its the only thing that seems to make his hair not look like a tumbleweed.

Though its said silicone can "seal the hair" and then prevent moisture intake of the hair, sealing it out, clarifying once in a while should take care of that (thats what hub does before a moisture treatment)..... then goes back to his cones.

Though the "Science" behind the possible moisture lock out of silicones seems pretty true to me, I haven't exactly seem someone's hair damaged by silicones. I think more damage is done by bleach, box colors, and lack of care, than a silicone.

I say, if your hair likes it, ditch popular theory and opinion, and do what your hair likes best, you'll be happiest for it.

Eirinn
March 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM
So my hair hair loves cones, but I need some natural condish too. The funny thing is that I can wash my hair less frequently when I use cones:magic:

beledigrrl
March 13th, 2008, 01:12 PM
My hair and 'cone based products are definitely not on speaking terms but it sounds like you'll only find out through trial and error....good luck!

kate46
March 13th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I swap back and forth between cones and no cones, if I use either for too long my hair is not happy, but having said that it doesn't cause any damage, it just doesn't look so nice. Having fun experimenting and finding what does or does not work has been and still is the best part of growing my hair. :)

alys
March 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM
The beauty of cones is clarifying. They are not permanent, unlike some other 'bad' things out there for hair. You can wash em off, might take a while but it can be done.
Personally I used cones for many, many years. I all but stopped using them about 8-10 months ago, and really the difference in the dryness/texture of my hair is minimal thus far. The difference that really stuck out to me was that cones made my fine hair limp and flat. But, shiny and soft too. Now that there are no cones in my routine, my hair has more body, but the softness/moisture level and damaged ends all seem to be the same.
I chose not to use cones for health, not beauty, reasons. I say if you try it and it works, why not?

MeMyselfandI
March 13th, 2008, 03:37 PM
There are so many different type of silicones. Some stay on hair, some evaporate etc.

I would love to know all the names of the conesand which are to be avoided more then the others.

I find that the basic cones leaves my fine hair limp yet soft and not tangled. I like SMT that I made. Before I started using chemical tints/dye on my hair I conditioned, not to much. I did not have many problems with the limp hair, I used a bit of conditioner to untangle my hair and keep it untangled.

magicatt
March 14th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I'm so glad to see that the replies here are accepting that 'cones work for some people. I decided to try cones last fall because my very fine hair was getting so tangled by just existing that I was afraid I would need to cut it just to keep it. I had tried oils but they weren't cutting it and my hair was just winding up greasy. I don't use anything heavily 'coned--those make my hair go really flat. I do find that something with a cone or two can make all the difference in my random tangles--especially the nape tangles.