PDA

View Full Version : How will cinnamon change blonde hair?

Luna12345
February 22nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks to LHC I found out that cinnamon lightens hair a few shades. I have medium golden brown hair with blond highlights so I was thinking of using the cinnamon to lighten the brown to a light golden brown but I'm afraid of what it might do to my blonde highlights. Will it make blonde hair red???, more golden??, or just lighter??
Does anyone know?:confused:

Zefyra
February 22nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Are the blonde highlights natural? Im not sure what affect cinnamon would have on artificial highlights.

Aside from that, I tried cinnamon on my darkish blond hair about 4 months ago. It did lighten my hair a little (though I tried a ton of different things on my hair in a short period, including hydrogen peroxide (bad Zefyra!) so that could have obscured the results slightly) and I didnt notice any significant reddening (Which sucked cuz I was hoping it would bring out the natural red in my hair a bit...) I suggest a patch test of some sort on a highlighted section before you attempt it on your whole head.
HTH

pinkbunny
February 22nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
In my experience, it's about the same as being "sunkissed" outside in the sun all summer - cinnamon just lightens it a shade or two, very subtle... I even tried alternating it with ACV rinses to give it a strawberry tinge but it hasn't worked so far (and I even have red tones in my hair, so I thought it would really bring it out).

rocket_surgeon
February 22nd, 2011, 11:41 AM
As far as I know, cinnamon lightens hair the same way peroxide does, so it would just lighten the blonde bits more. Try a strand test if you want to be sure, though. Better safe than sorry.

ghilliegirl_an
February 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
I've done it 2 times now to try to lighten my hair which is about the same color as yours, it lightened my natural blond highlights a little and made the brown a little blonder and redder(I actually have natural reddish tints to my hair and also some remaining residue from semi-permanent color so that is probably the cause of the redness). It really depends on if your hair has natural red undertones as well as blonde, if it does you might get the red affect, if not it will just be closer to the blond highlights. I don't know if your highlights are natural like mine but I doubt it will give them a red tint. I'm sure you already know this but it is a gradual process, you definitely see results after the first time but to actually lighten it to a noticeably lighter color(noticeable to anyone but you that is) you'll have to do it a few times. Also I'm not sure if you read the thread I did on this but do be careful because some people have had bad experiences with the cinnamon burning their scalp and skin. If you do try the cinnamon I hope it works well for you.

-Ashley

princessp
February 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Has anyone tried it on hennaed hair?

Luna12345
February 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
My higlights are not natural, nor is my brown, my natural hair is a darker brown. Thanks all for your replies , I guess I'm going to do a strand test and see how it turns out, just to be safe.:)....I have no idea if it will work on hennaed hair but I don't think it would be risky to try a strand test like I'm planning to do.

Demetra
February 22nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
My natural hair color is dark blonde and it is hennaed. I added cinammon to all of my conditioners to keep my golden tones amidst my henna and my hair is always a nice shade of strawberry blonde like so:

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/amandaaron4ever/strawberry.jpg

(Don't know why it's sideways lol) So yes! Use cinnamon on blonde, henna, or hennaed blonde hair!

slipperlady
February 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Are you talking about regular cinnamon in the spice aisle? Or do you use cinnamon sticks in some way? Forgive my ignorance as I obviously have not read much about this. How do you apply it to the hair?

Islandgrrl
February 22nd, 2011, 04:00 PM
What method are you using for cinnamon lightening, and specifically, what type of cinnamon? I'd love to give this a go, but I have NO idea how!

katienoonan
February 22nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
I would have thought cinnamin would add reddish notes..!

I'm quite excited for this now... I might have to give it a whirl. Does it weaken hair?

rocket_surgeon
February 22nd, 2011, 04:22 PM
This thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2125) has a lot of good information about bleaching with cinnamon, including what kind of cinnamon to use and some user experiences.

dani215
April 25th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I just lightened hair last night for the first time with a mixture of mccormick cinnamon and conditioner. I made a very thick paste of cinnamon, using at least a cup of cinnamon and then adding in Suave clarifying conditoner to apply to my shoulder length thick, wavy hair. My hair is naturally a light auburn, but I have permanent Feria copper chemical dye that was applied 6 months ago over part of the length and one 30% henna/70% cassia treatment over the top of everything. The henna did make my hair redder, but also much darker than I wanted. I applied the mix thickly, covered with a shower cap, and left it on for approx 11 hours. The cinnamon burned pretty severely where it dripped and touched my skin but i was able to get it off quickly and cover the red blotches with aloe which helped. My scalp also burned tolerably for about 20 minutes, but stopped after that. I really wasn't expecting much, but this morning my hair has been lightened several shades and is very close if not identical to my natural color and has a ton of golden highlights. I wish I had taken before pictures. I don't think the cinnamon added any red tones at all, but it's hard to tell because it seems the added red from the henna has been lifted and because my hair is naturally light auburn. I might do this one more time to see if i can get the color to match my virgin roots exactly, but it definitely won't be for 11 hours again or I'll probably end up a blonde. If you can handle the burn and are willing to take the risk of having to wash the cinnamon out early, I would definitely try using at least a 50/50 mix of cinnamon and conditioner.

Springlets
April 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I think not a lot of experiments have been done by blondes using cinnamon, so when we do hear of them, it's brunettes saying it brought out caramel or reddish tones but that's because that's the natural color scheme for lightening: black- red- brown- orange- blonde. Or perhaps they haven't washed the cinnamon out enough. The first times I put cinnamon in my honey treatment I remember thinking it had left a reddish tinge but it was just because I hadn't washed it out completely.

I've tried honey treatments using cinnamon and it works pretty well, but lately I've been thinking that my hair reacts mostly to the cinnamon, for whatever reason. I think I might try an 11 hour cinnamon/conditioner soak. For me I'd rather do a really long one that produces dramatic results than short soaks over time.