PDA

View Full Version : Poof / pompadour - need help

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 09:24 AM
It's actually a matter of emergency. I'm having an event very soon, sort of thematic dressed party / ball / white tie night, whatever. The theme is XIX century. I have a lovely dress in fin de siecle style, I love this era. Not the exact replica like in period movies but "inspired by" :)
The problem is hair. I've been rehearsing it and every time I fail at making this big poof or pompadour all around my forehead. Actually it's a big news for me that I can NOT have enough poof :D It just falls apart before I finish the 'do. And it is essential for the look.
I suppose it should be teased inside the roll to make it stay but I hate teasing my hair and would really like to avoid it. I also fear it will add to my eternal flyaways. Is there any method to achieve this darn poof without backcombing or teasing so that it keeps decent for several hours? I believe none but TLHC folk can help me out! :pray:
Thank you very much in advance!

detritus
February 22nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
What about making a rat or buying a Bumpits or something to help provide some support under the poof?

RadiantNeedle
February 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
I second the rat suggestion!

pinkbunny
February 22nd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Perhaps a bumpit? Or stuff it with a rat? If you don't have enough of your own shed hair for a rat, maybe you could make one from some fake hair, like extensions or a small fake ponytail? I see you're in Moscow - not sure if you have wig stores like here in America... Here, it's easy to buy cheap weave hair or ponytail scrunchies made of fake hair.

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
What about making a rat or buying a Bumpits or something to help provide some support under the poof?
Thanks, I googled Bumpits, looks promising but I'm not sure I can find them here and I'm short of time to order by Internet :( And will they keep in place so close to the hairline?
Making a rat - is it backcombing?

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
Perhaps a bumpit? Or stuff it with a rat? If you don't have enough of your own shed hair for a rat, maybe you could make one from some fake hair, like extensions or a small fake ponytail? I see you're in Moscow - not sure if you have wig stores like here in America... Here, it's easy to buy cheap weave hair or ponytail scrunchies made of fake hair.

Well, I believe we have them :) A weave is a great idea, thanks a lot! I think it will be feasible.

Mirsha
February 22nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
A rat is a contained ball of hair that you can use to get the same pouf as backcombing does if I recall correctly.

This is going to sound silly, a friend of mine had a wig she poufed up with toilet rolls. It was hilarious to see the rolls sticking out.

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
A rat is a contained ball of hair that you can use to get the same pouf as backcombing does if I recall correctly.
A-ha! now I see, but how to fix them? The problem is I can do the "base" of poof (I used my own hair rolled and pinned like a pin curl and covered it with the lock of hair closest to my forehead) but it doesn't stay in and the hair over it slides and falls apart :(

This is going to sound silly, a friend of mine had a wig she poufed up with toilet rolls. It was hilarious to see the rolls sticking out.
Lol :D not exactly the look I'm after!

ETA The biggest problem is not the top roll (though it is, too) but the side ones above the temples. I just can't get how they did that.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
Have a look at these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M77hqKdnQf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7jT6CTIic&feature=related

For more of a poof, maybe watching a few Apostolic hairdo videos will give you some ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/user/gossgirl2

If you really want it to stay put, I guess there's just no escaping hairspray and backcombing a little.

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Have a look at these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M77hqKdnQf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7jT6CTIic&feature=related

For more of a poof, maybe watching a few Apostolic hairdo videos will give you some ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/user/gossgirl2

If you really want it to stay put, I guess there's just no escaping hairspray and backcombing a little.

Lapushka, spasibo :flower:
The first one is very helpful, don't know how I skipped it searching on YT. I really need to try it the way she does it though apparently she has the same problem, it falls apart in the center. But her sides are much better!
The second one I saw, teasing all the way :)

Will keep trying!

GRU
February 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Another idea, if you don't have enough shed hair to make your own hair-rat, is to just create one using pantyhose/stockings or whatever in a similar color. Kind of like making a sock-bun, only you're "rolling a log" shape instead of "rolling a donut/bagel" shape. Then you can pin it down wherever you need it to stay. You can make smaller ones for your temple-poofs, too.

And yeah, TOTALLY weird to see a curly WANTING to make her hair bigger! ;)

ETA: And we simply MUST have pictures of your 'do when you're done!

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Another idea, if you don't have enough shed hair to make your own hair-rat, is to just create one using pantyhose/stockings or whatever in a similar color. Kind of like making a sock-bun, only you're "rolling a log" shape instead of "rolling a donut/bagel" shape. Then you can pin it down wherever you need it to stay. You can make smaller ones for your temple-poofs, too.

And yeah, TOTALLY weird to see a curly WANTING to make her hair bigger! ;)

ETA: And we simply MUST have pictures of your 'do when you're done!

Thanks GRU :) This is another great option and I've got lots of stockings in hand :D but again how to fix it there? I can easily see how it is done with chignon or twist on top of the head but this must be above and almost in front of my face -think Toulouse-Lautrec women.

ETA If you're curious I've put pics of my two attempts (out of four :rolleyes:) in my album :)

GRU
February 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks GRU :) This is another great option and I've got lots of stockings in hand :D but again how to fix it there? I can easily see how it is done with chignon or twist on top of the head but this must be above and almost in front of my face -think Toulouse-Lautrec women.

How about rolling it "forward" with the bulk of the roll underneath instead of rolling it backward? Tis way the bulk can "hang forward" from where the hair is attached to your scalp, instead of trying to get it to "sit up on top" of the attachment point?

Another idea -- attach the "log roll" thingy to the top of a comb or hair fork, with the prongs sticking along the top of your head for stability?

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
How about rolling it "forward" with the bulk of the roll underneath instead of rolling it backward? Tis way the bulk can "hang forward" from where the hair is attached to your scalp, instead of trying to get it to "sit up on top" of the attachment point?

Rolling forward is a great idea, it just didn't occur to me! :flowers: I will definitely try it.

ETA The Enablinator on mission, hehe :D

GRU
February 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Rolling forward is a great idea, it just didn't occur to me! :flowers: I will definitely try it.

ETA The Enablinator on mission, hehe :D

Here I come to save the daaaaaaay! (http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2011-01-09_1004796414058853/tv/misc/mighty_mouse.wav)

*swoosh*

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Here I come to save the daaaaaaay! (http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2011-01-09_1004796414058853/tv/misc/mighty_mouse.wav)

*swoosh*

*trying to hold up* GRU, you work in mysterious way and wonders thou perform, but are you sure a palm reader is what I should style hair with? :confused:

ETA :D palm top reading device which is no less funny.

podo
February 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
If you're using a rat, you won't need to pouf your real hair. Just lay your real hair over the rat and pin it down behind it. Since you're laying it flat over the rat (but not flattening the rat) you shouldn't have any problems with it falling apart in the middle.

... or did I misunderstand what you guys are talking about? ;)

GRU
February 22nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
*trying to hold up* GRU, you work in mysterious way and wonders thou perform, but are you sure a palm reader is what I should style hair with? :confused:

Weird... when I click through the link from here, it goes to Amazon.com, but when I right-click it and hit "open in new tab" it goes to the sound clip.

I wonder how that happens? It's the same link each time...

Let's try it again:

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2011-01-09_1004796414058853/tv/misc/mighty_mouse.wav

GRU
February 22nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
If you're using a rat, you won't need to pouf your real hair. Just lay your real hair over the rat and pin it down behind it. Since you're laying it flat over the rat (but not flattening the rat) you shouldn't have any problems with it falling apart in the middle.

The problem now is that the poofy part (with the rat inside) isn't going to be up on top of her head, but almost out in front of her head, kind of like the bill on a baseball cap. That's why I suggested she roll it the other direction, so it won't have any slack to "flop down".

ghilliegirl_an
February 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
I might be a little confused as to exactly what you mean by a poof but how I do what I call a poof is take the front part of my hair, twist it about 2-3 inches from t he hairline(more or less depending on how tall you want the poof) and then push it forward to desired height and pin with two bobby pins. If you're having trouble with it splitting in the middle try wetting that part of your hair, pinning it straight back flat and letting it dry like that, I had this same problem and it fixed the split thing. Hope maybe that helps.

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
I might be a little confused as to exactly what you mean by a poof but how I do what I call a poof is take the front part of my hair, twist it about 2-3 inches from t he hairline(more or less depending on how tall you want the poof) and then push it forward to desired height and pin with two bobby pins. If you're having trouble with it splitting in the middle try wetting that part of your hair, pinning it straight back flat and letting it dry like that, I had this same problem and it fixed the split thing. Hope maybe that helps.

Thanks a lot, I will try it. I did wet hair to comb it toward the face but didn't fix it to dry like you say. It really may help, thanks again! :flower:

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM

You got it right :)
I didn't try a rat, but when I do the same over a tight pin curl it does split and fall apart even with gel :( I think ghilliegirl_an hit the spot, I should somehow let it dry in this position so it would hold (hopefully).

MaiCarInMtl
February 22nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Has anyone mentioned the possibility of using a foam roller? They're cheap, you can get them just about anywhere and who cares if you put holes in it with your bobby pins. I think I saw someone use them for fake bangs on YouTube. You could use it similarly I'm sure - no teasing required.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
I was just on this site, looking at this (folded nylon stocking used as filling):
http://www.princesshairstyles.com/2008/10/halloween-practice-run.html

What if you stuffed some handkerchiefs or nylon stockings into a nylon stocking, making it as long of a roll as you would like, to create kind of a longish roll - rat (and close it off like you close off a buff to make a hat).

milagro
February 22nd, 2011, 11:32 PM
MaiCarInMtl, lapushka, thanks :flower: seems you have the same idea. The log thing is feasible, I must think of how to fix and hide the ends. Maybe shift the head band closer to face. I guess I can even attach the log to it as GRU suggested. Needs tweaking!
Frankly I'm not sure if I will be comfortable with any of these false things in my hair :o But I want this poof! I now feel like it's a matter of honour for me to conquer it :D

milagro
February 23rd, 2011, 02:15 AM
Lol I just combed my hair and instead of throwing the sheds to the bin carefully detangled it and put in stash :D I think I wouldn't admit it anywhere but here!

GRU
February 23rd, 2011, 07:04 AM
Lol I just combed my hair and instead of throwing the sheds to the bin carefully detangled it and put in stash :D I think I wouldn't admit it anywhere but here!

I need to add to the "you know you're a longhair when....." thread:

You know you're an LHCer when you hear, "Ewww, gross, why is there a cup of HAIR in the linen closet???" :lol:

milagro
February 23rd, 2011, 09:27 AM
GRU yes that thread is hilarious - and so true! :)

I did more search on this particular style and it indeed requires rats, weaves or paddings. Apparently there were special "pompadour frames" that hair were combed and pinned over. So guys you pretty much figured it out in a flash! :flower: Thank you all!
I will try using a head band, with maybe some kind of padding like my own sheds or a couple fine nylon hairnets, attached.

tigr
February 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
What about some combs? If you look at the 5th picture (just to the right of the product photo), you will see a woman using combs to support her pompadour: http://www.etsy.com/listing/67684902/vintage-hair-comb-art-deco-imitation.

milagro
February 23rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
What about some combs? If you look at the 5th picture (just to the right of the product photo), you will see a woman using combs to support her pompadour: http://www.etsy.com/listing/67684902/vintage-hair-comb-art-deco-imitation.

Thanks a lot, that's very interesting. Beautiful comb BTW :) I normally use very large big-pronged combs for holding hair in place and they don't work like that. the strands are too big. While fine-toothed combs may create more poofy roll... Though I figure her hair is still either back-combed or supported underneath.

milagro
February 24th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I got it! :cheese:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6900&pictureid=96820
This is not exactly what I'm gonna wear, but the poof is there, even more than I like :D and certainly authentic.

I used a stocking (GRU :waving:) and wraped a thick lock of hair from beneath temple area around it, secured in the hairline with 4 bobbypins and then flipped the section of hair previously combed forward and down to my face, over it. Gosh is it messy :) Then carefully distributed it and again secured with bobby pins (hairpins don't work well here). The pompadour is ready and no teasing required! I didn't bother much with the back 'cause it's a training go. And I think I will diffuse or even braid-wave my hair before doing it finally, to get that Gibson girl look.

If anyone is interested in this style, I think it's the easiest way to achieve it. Well, it is essentially how it was really done.

Thank you all again for your input, it was very helpful :flowers:

GRU
February 24th, 2011, 07:03 AM
:cheer: YAY! :cheese:

Looks awesome, milagro! Will you be sharing the final results with us, too?

milagro
February 24th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks, GRU :) Sure I will, I don't think there's many occasions to sport this look!
Talk about big hair :D the 80s is nothing to it :p

lapushka
February 24th, 2011, 09:03 AM
It looks fantastic! :D

Yozhik
February 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Milagro, it's beautiful! Great job :flowers:

milagro
February 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Lapushka, Yozhik, spasibo :flower:
Yeah fantastic is the word :D it looks like twice my hair actually. I now understand why ladies from hte past seem to have had enormous hair - all these tricks like weaves, rats and paddings were in common use.
I plan on opting for a less prominent padding, I figure the hair twist and a strap of nylon to keep it in place will be sufficient, since I will have my hair curly as well which adds to volume.

BTW this technique would be handy in creating a geisha look without heavy back-combing.

milagro
February 25th, 2011, 07:49 AM
It is possible to do without padding as well :cheese: Great relief, I was not easy thinking how to go about with stockings and whatnot on my head :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6900&pictureid=96899
I did the same as the last time but without the stocking, just two hair twists from above ears. I think on gelled and diffused-dried hair it will be just what the doctor ordered.
A little problem is sagging in the back. It is always the case with my buns, even with ponytails :confused:

serious
February 25th, 2011, 07:50 AM
It looks awesome!!!!

GRU
February 25th, 2011, 07:52 AM
That's gorgeous, milagro!

milagro
February 25th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks serious and GRU! I guess I went a bit mental with this 'do already :D

annieangel149
February 25th, 2011, 08:02 AM
:):):) guys !!! this is a fantastic thread!

it reminds me of how much i love LHC!!!! so much support for peeps here! i love u all! and milagro! absolutely gorgeous!!! you go girl!!!! :cheese:

milagro
February 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks Annie :flower: This is fantastic place indeed, an immense source of support and information!

milagro
February 27th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Reporting back! it worked quite well. I washed and scrunched my hair with a lot of gel and then diffuse-dried it to almost dry, to get bouncy curls. Then did and pinned the pompadour. I had to use as many bobby pins as all through the last decade maybe :D I didn't use hairspray though I should have 'cause it was hot in the rooms and after a while my little frizzies appeared. And I had to check and rearrange it a little with wet hands a couple times.

But it was worth it, I got tons of compliments and what's more important, I am so satisfied with having been able to figure it out and do it myself :disco: It's a sort of reconstruction game.
Most women had high buns with those spiral locks around face like a standard bride's hairdo, and I think a very few did it on their own. Though I loved one girl's 1830s do with barrel "sausage" curls and there were a few beautiful sleek buns. I was the only one who opted for this fashion period, the majority were wearing kinda 1850s crinolines and the rest chose empire-waist dresses from the beginning of XIX.

On curly hair it is very close to the Gibson girl look ( I think :))
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6900&pictureid=97041

So thank you all for your support and tips! Love the LHC :flowers:

TiaKitty
February 27th, 2011, 04:26 AM
So pretty! I've always wanted to wear this style, but haven't had the occasion. You've made it happen in my head, and now I have an itch to try it, regardless of having an occasion or not...

Was it comfortable?

milagro
February 27th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Thanks TiaKitty! It was quite comfortable, the key is fix it very well. I had planned on using another decoration of pink topaz (not sure if this the correct name of it :?:), it matched the dress trimmings and sash perfectly but it was too heavy and made the bun slide down, so it pulled the whole front section backwards and caused too much sagging in the back. So I had to use a lighter one.
If you want it stay put and tidy for more than an hour I think using some product of medium to strong hold is important.

Definitely try it, just for fun of it and post pictures :cheer: It must look amazing with your length and your hair texture suits the style very well.

GRU
February 27th, 2011, 07:21 AM
OMG, milagro, that is gorgeous / beautiful / amazing / awesome / not enough adjectives to describe it!

Great job, and thank you so much for sharing it with us!

milagro
February 27th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks GRU :flowers: I think you may be called co-author of this do together with Lapushka and some others who proposed the log thing. I only had to tweak and adapt it.

lapushka
February 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
It turned out wonderful! :inlove:

Nylons have opened up a whole new world to me. :lol: Wondering if it's possible to make giant soft curlers out of 'em to create big curls. :hmm:

tigr
February 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Wonderful!

Do you have a full-length picture of the back so we can see the dress, too? I'd love to see how they looked together.

ole gray mare
February 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Milagro, this is absolutely stunning! Reminds me of why I have long hair. Really stunning. Thank you for sharing the process with us. :flowers:

milagro
February 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM
It turned out wonderful! :inlove:

Nylons have opened up a whole new world to me. :lol: Wondering if it's possible to make giant soft curlers out of 'em to create big curls. :hmm:
Spasibo, lapushka :flowers: (love your nickname!)
Actually the final one and the one before that are nylon-free :) I made two twists of the hair above and behind ears and fixed them in the hairline.
But when I was trying to do it with a stocking (see the alien-head pic on the previous page :D) I found that nylon does pretty good job for keeping hair from sliding, and it's lightweight so I guess it is indeed a very handy material for curlers! and it shouldn't be any more damaging than cotton.

tigr, thanks a lot :flowers:
I took only this one picture as I was being in a rush :o I will have others from the party, maybe there's any suitable for sharing. BTW the dress's going in repair, somebody stepped on my train and tore the hem about 2 inches... that's long fancy gowns for you!

ole gray mare, thank you very much! Hair is fun, isn't it? :)