PDA

View Full Version : What do you do about hair fall/losing hair?

shellblue1
June 11th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Ughhhh, I lost about 150 or more hairs today. I usually wash everyday with a sulfate-free or diluted shampoo. I skipped a day and then washed today and lost so much hair! Is it because I skipped a washing day or could it be because it is my "time of the month"? Does anyone else lose a lot of hair around their time of the month? Anyway, what do you do about hair fall? Do you have a certain method or do you use a specific product that keeps you from losing hair? I typically lose it while combing through my hair (gently) while damp.

Miss Murphy
June 11th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Shellblue1,

there is a support thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1124)

and also a thread about helpful essential oils. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001)

HTH! :flower:

morgwn
June 11th, 2008, 03:23 AM
As Miss Murphy said! :)

And I also only comb my hair once a day, either during my morningtime shower or first thing in the morning before putting my hair up. I seem to lose less hairs overall this way, but it can sometimes seem like more as this is basically the only time I remove the loose hairs from my head each day. That may also be the case for you, shellblue1.

sapphire-o
June 11th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I start to eat like crazy. I'm serious. :) If I have massive shedding it's usually a protein or iron deficiency thing. I usually feel much better after eating large amount of nutritious food (like beef, eggs, yogurt, I don't mean celery sticks) for a few days.

florenonite
June 11th, 2008, 09:50 AM
You may shed more after washing if you skip a day, as you haven't removed those hairs in your average shower.

Also, your commment about losing more at the time of the month made me think. I got my period yesterday, and over the past couple of weeks have been shedding small animals (of course, I always shed a lot, but this is slightly excessive). It might be a factor.

jezebel17
June 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah that might just be the hair that you would have lost if you had washed your hair, but since you skipped a day the fallen hair might have just been trapped in the dangles ( if that makes any sense).

shellblue1
June 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all of your replies and I'll check out the other threads! :) I have been a bit stressed due to a career change and other personal stuff so maybe my shedding has been due to that!

spidermom
June 11th, 2008, 04:34 PM
You know something? I don't have a clue how many hairs I shed per day. It doesn't seem like much lately, but I've gone through times when it seemed to come out by the handful. I didn't count my hairs then, either. That's one less thing I need to stress about.

Siava
June 11th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I did a fair bit of shedding due to my hormones and the new medication I'm on, but after a month of NOT washing my hair every day (which I was doing religiously), the shedding finally slowed down to a normal rate. It's like my scalp had to adjust to being washed at the most every other day. I hope you find the culprit.

shellblue1
June 11th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Okay so I washed my hair today and didn't lose near the same amount as I did yesterday. I would say I lost around 40-50 or so today. So maybe it really was due to skipping a day washing! Oh yeah and I even colored my hair today and didn't lose very much.

Does anyone else lose quite a bit while washing and conditioning the shower? Sometimes it gets really annoying with the little hair monsters that jump on me when I am showering lol.

hank freid love
June 27th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Losing your hair may be hard for you. Talk about your feelings with friends and family. Or think about joining a cancer support group. Talking can help you cope with hair loss and other changes during treatment.

Losing your hair may be hard for you. Talk about your feelings with friends and family. Or think about joining a cancer support group. Talking can help you cope with hair loss and other changes during treatment.

Darkhorse1
June 27th, 2008, 05:52 AM
If you do a google search, you will learn that hair has three phases of life. After 1000 days, hair will shed. It's normal to loose up to 100 hairs a day. These are the old ones dying off. Remember, not all the hairs are coming from your scalp. Also, from one folicle, you can have 3 or more hairs in that folicle, so loosing 1, you wouldn't notice.

My hair shed SO much this spring. I was begining to think something was wrong. I was every other day to every 2 days, and I've begun CO on none wash days. (just the ends). This is a new experiment, but more brushing has helped my hair not shed (stimulation to scalp?).

Good luck!! And the stress about a career change might be the culprit as well.