PDA

View Full Version : Eek, thinking about switching back to random drug store shampoos/conditioners/etc.

rosieex3
February 21st, 2011, 10:16 PM
Ever since last summer I've been so ingredient cautious when it comes to hair products. I'm at the point now where I'm using an all organic shampoo and conditioner because I don't even want one chemical to touch my hair. In the long run, will my hair probably be very healthy and not "artifically" shiny/healthy from silicones and whatnot? Probably. But, I'm starting to realize..I love the slip that cones gave my hair. I loved going into Target and finding pretty bottles and yummy smelling hair products. I miss not going through every single ingredient and wondering what it's going to do to my hair in the long run before purchasing it. I see girls my age all of the time with beautiful waist-hip length hair, and I'm sure most of them are just throwing whatever smells nice on their hair or whatever is in their shower. I feel like I'm not really enjoying my hair as much as I used to with being so cautious. I guess this is the typical 18 year old girl coming out of me once again. Plus, cones make my hair awesome! :p I am very afraid of them blocking out moisture, but hopefully that won't happen. I will probably avoid sulphates, in shampoo at least, since I know they will suck moisture out of my hair.

So, is anyone else not really product cautious? I'm actually really excited to buy some shine sprays and anti frizz serums, rather then using oils (which will benefit my hair in the long run, but I need to be happy with my hair now.)

But, I still absolutely refuse to ever dye my hair again and use heat frequently. I am still going to baby my hair..just in a different way. :D

I guess I just wanted to vent, and ask for any input/experiences! Thanks for reading.

krissykins
February 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
Cones aren't all evil. I actually ranted about this in my blog today. If they work for you, then go ahead and use them! I would be cautious about shine spray though, as many have alcohols that can dry out the hair.

jaine
February 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM
Oh gosh...I had the same line of thought a few months ago. "why am I spending $15 for a bottle of conditioner again? How about this one at CVS - it's only a dollar and doesn't smell too bad." then I saw the redness and irritation and itching all over my torso when I came out of the shower. Yep, that's why. Needless to say I went running with my tail between my legs back to my safe ingredient list.

rosieex3
February 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM
Cones aren't all evil. I actually ranted about this in my blog today. If they work for you, then go ahead and use them! I would be cautious about shine spray though, as many have alcohols that can dry out the hair.
Oh okay, thank you! :) I used to use this shine spray from Chi, and it worked SO good and smelled amazing. Hopefully it didn't have any alcohols in it. That is another thing I'd like to avoid in products. But I actually think I might just promise myself to not even look at the ingredients at all. Ahh.

natatatt
February 21st, 2011, 10:25 PM
I'm product cautious less so for my hair, but more so for my health, the environment's, and for the sake of the animals on which many of these products are tested. I think caring for nature and animals is a beautiful thing, much more beautiful than shiny hair.

However, I like shiny hair and am struggling to find natural products that give me those results. I have gotten pretty good results and will continue on my natural beauty quest.

rosieex3
February 21st, 2011, 10:26 PM
Oh gosh...I had the same line of though a few months ago. "why am I spending $15 for a bottle of conditioner again? How about this one at CVS - it's only a dollar and doesn't smell too bad." then I saw the redness and irritation and itching all over my torso when I came out of the shower. Yep, that's why. Needless to say I went running with my tail between my legs back to my "safe" ingredient conditioner.
Aw, I'm glad you have a conditioner that works well then! :D See, my hair is very weird. Ever since I started messing around with organic products and not using my usual Aussie Moist, I've been dealing with a dry flaky scalp, and my scalp getting oily on the sides quicker. I never had these issues back when I just used whatever products I wanted to. I feel like thats what I need to do to keep my hair and scalp happy. Typical products like Aussie, L'Oreal, Herbal Essences, etc..it loves!

krissykins
February 21st, 2011, 10:26 PM
Oh okay, thank you! :) I used to use this shine spray from Chi, and it worked SO good and smelled amazing. Hopefully it didn't have any alcohols in it. That is another thing I'd like to avoid in products. But I actually think I might just promise myself to not even look at the ingredients at all. Ahh.

Well, give the products a shot and see how your hair reacts to it. It could be beneficial to avoid looking at the ingredients for a period of time for mental health's sake, but if you notice any adverse affects on your hair, please do take a peek at the ingredients list. Or ask us LHCers to peek for you ;) we're here to help!

ETA: And if you're not enjoying your hair, what's the point in having it? Seriously, you can be TOO careful. I use sulfates on my hair on occasion even though I know I should avoid them (they're the reason why I avoid cones--my hair HATES SULFATES), but I enjoy the feeling of lathering up shampoo in my hair once a month.

danacc
February 21st, 2011, 10:28 PM
If your hair loves 'cones, then by all means use them! There are lots of super-long (and beautiful and healthy) heads of hair here that regularly use coney conditioners.

GrowingGlory
February 21st, 2011, 10:31 PM
I really need to read labels and be careful about ingredients for my health's sake and for the health of my hair. It isn't always more expensive but it is a bit more work.

Maybe there are certified organic products that will please you. John Masters makes a great organic line. So does Desert Essence, California Baby and Earth Mama Angel Baby.

In short, don't give up! You can have your cake and eat it too.

rosieex3
February 21st, 2011, 10:33 PM
I'm product cautious less so for my hair, but more so for my health, the environment's, and for the sake of the animals on which many of these products are tested. I think caring for nature and animals is a beautiful thing, much more beautiful than shiny hair.

However, I like shiny hair and am struggling to find natural products that give me those results. I have gotten pretty good results and will continue on my natural beauty quest.
That is a really good reason to be product cautious, best of luck :)

Well, give the products a shot and see how your hair reacts to it. It could be beneficial to avoid looking at the ingredients for a period of time for mental health's sake, but if you notice any adverse affects on your hair, please do take a peek at the ingredients list. Or ask us LHCers to peek for you ;) we're here to help!

ETA: And if you're not enjoying your hair, what's the point in having it? Seriously, you can be TOO careful. I use sulfates on my hair on occasion even though I know I should avoid them (they're the reason why I avoid cones--my hair HATES THEM), but I enjoy the feeling of lathering up shampoo in my hair once a month.
Yeah, I think for my mental health I'm just going to avoid looking at the ingredients! If I do..I know I'm gonna start googling them :p If I see my hair drying out, I will most definitely look into it. Thank you! And I completely agree. I've been telling myself lately "oh just keep wearing your hair up, it'll look great soon enough!" ..It isn't working. Hahah. :D

If your hair loves 'cones, then by all means use them! There are lots of super-long (and beautiful and healthy) heads of hair here that regularly use coney conditioners.
I absolutely agree, I've seen quite a few cone users on here and I think I'm gonna have to join ;)

rosieex3
February 21st, 2011, 10:37 PM
I really need to read labels and be careful about ingredients for my health's sake and for the health of my hair. It isn't always more expensive but it is a bit more work.

Maybe there are certified organic products that will please you. John Masters makes a great organic line. So does Desert Essence, California Baby and Earth Mama Angel Baby.

In short, don't give up! You can have your cake and eat it too.
Thank you for naming those brands, I am going to save them and look into them & look up some reviews. :)

ladylovecraft
February 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM
Though I try to maintain some sort of knowledge over what's going into my hair (I'm extremely anti-sulfate--my hair hates that stuff and has been much happier without it), there are times I just buy whatever super-coney conditioner I want and slather it on. The slip is just magical! : D

As others have said, a lot of girls with super-long, gorgeous hair don't adhere to LHC's "rules"... though I think a lot of them are useful, and wonderful ways to help grow healthy hair, I haven't always adhered to all of them and doubt I ever will. : )

HintOfMint
February 21st, 2011, 11:08 PM
I never left the drugstore stuff! I pay attention to ingredient lists but I've found plenty that satisfy my needs without going organic and obscure

I will say that sulfates are what washes away most cones, so going for a coney but sulfate free routine may lead to quite a bit of buildup.

In any case, I too miss just picking the most intriguing bottle or the nicest smell in the aisle and not caring about ingredients (I have to watch out for cones, polyquats AND proteins--sheesh!), and I miss how cones made my hair feel. I only left cones because my ends hate shampoo and I have yet to find a cone that doesn't build up on me.

All in all, even when you go back to mainstream products, make sure to keep in mind what is working for your hair and what isn't, and take a peek at the ingredients list.

Happy shopping!

GrowingGlory
February 21st, 2011, 11:09 PM
You're welcome. Hope that helps.

teela1978
February 21st, 2011, 11:16 PM
The chi silk smoothing serum stuff is awesome. I use drugstore shampoo/conditioner. I see no difference in my hair between using herbal essences (or aussie or pantene, etc...) versus more expensive organic products from the health food store so I use what I feel like. Lately I've started using solid shampoos which I like because they're a bit easier to control the amount of shampoo used (at least to me)... and they're a bit pricey but they're not too bad. I've been working through a big vat of aussie moist conditioner for a while now.

People have reasons for using organic or sulfate free stuff. I don't share those reasons so I don't buy those products.

kwaniesiam
February 21st, 2011, 11:21 PM
"Natural" does not = better. If your hair likes cones then by all means, use them.

Malaguena
February 22nd, 2011, 12:21 AM
"Natural" does not = better. If your hair likes cones then by all means, use them.

I was just about to say the same. I had long hair a few years ago, and I was very product cautious. In the end, I stopped enjoying my hair - not just for that reason, there were many other factors, but it was certainly one of them. Also, I've tried numerous natural and organic products, and every one of them have made me sneeze and my eyes and nose runny. I'm allergic to fragrances, and my body doesn't know the difference between artificial and natural - a fragrance is a fragrance. I'd say just go with it, and see what your hair likes and what suits you the best.

naereid
February 22nd, 2011, 01:46 AM
Relax! :) When you come to LHC and see all those warnings, it's hard not to get caught up in the feeling that now you finally know the secret to beautiful hair - all you gotta do is avoid everything with cones/quats/sulfates/protein/alcohol/etc and VOILA! Instant perfection!

Then after a couple of months you realize it's not that simple after all. :o

dropinthebucket
February 22nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
My hair has not always looked better since I switched. I can see a difference, thickness and gloss wise, but sometimes, it's easy to overdo it, and then how do you get it properly clean? And the natural texture, not always easy to work with. I refuse to go back, though, for 2 major reasons:
1) there is an environmental impact in using sulphates and 'cones (marine persistence; bioaccumulation; petroleum depletion)
2) I want out of the media and corporate systems that convince us to buy products in order to achieve false standards of beauty

That's my personal choice. I would never tell a conventional product user to stop using, freedom of choice is also very important. I'm only posting because you asked for opinions, just wanted to add that. :flower:

enfys
February 22nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
I take a glance at ingredients. If a shampoo has sulphates and the conditioner is coney I buy it.

My hair gets best results with regular products for damaged hair. I don't have damage but they seem more intense. I buy new products if they smell good, and whats on offer.

I tried cone and sulphate free. It was the most boring my hair has ever been. Only cones bring out the red I think! The only shampoo I ever passed onto DH was a sulphate free one. I kept the other to wash my brush with!

Don't get too caught up in ingredients unless you want or need to. I can choose not too.

Cupofmilk
February 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
I found LHC beacuse I went sulphate, cone and paraben free and couldnt' work out why my hair looked and felt different (not in a good way) and why I was shedding so much. It turned out the huge amout of build up I had from SLS-free shampoo had caused the shed and has left me with a scalp issue.
I do what is best for my hair. I have to enjoy my hair as it can behard work with longer hair. (short hair is hard work too sometimes but in a different way.

PorkChop
February 22nd, 2011, 06:17 AM
Hi. Can i just ask what hair cones are? Ive never heard of them?

naereid
February 22nd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Hi. Can i just ask what hair cones are? Ive never heard of them?
Silicones. Here's an article on them: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13

lapushka
February 22nd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Sulfates aren't bad. Actually, my hair's okay with them, and my hair also does fine without them. No difference, really, not that I can tell.

Cones aren't bad. They just don't need to be in every single product, and I'd like to have a choice. I'd like to consciously choose in an easy way, without having to read the entire ingredient list on every product first. Is big lettering "contains silicones" too much to ask? Really?

After all this time, I've learned what's great for my hair, and what isn't. I don't like cones in my shampoo, because they weigh my F, oily, hair down and make it too slippy at the roots and therefore it seems to be oilier sooner; and somehow they make me shed more. I don't mind if they're in conditioners or masks but I'd rather go without them. I don't mind them in serums, except I don't want them in every single styling product, especially not hairspray, or gel.

rosieex3
February 22nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
I found LHC beacuse I went sulphate, cone and paraben free and couldnt' work out why my hair looked and felt different (not in a good way) and why I was shedding so much. It turned out the huge amout of build up I had from SLS-free shampoo had caused the shed and has left me with a scalp issue.
I do what is best for my hair. I have to enjoy my hair as it can behard work with longer hair. (short hair is hard work too sometimes but in a different way.

First of all thank you all so much for all of the replies. I now feel completely confident in switching back. :)

And oh my gosh really? For a few months my scalp has been flaking like crazy, and my hair shedding has gotten out of control. I never had these issues in my life before I started using organic shampoos and conditioners. I feel like I might have a thyroid issue (the shedding is REALLY bad). Wow I wonder if they are really contributing to this for me as well. I loose 100+ hairs in the shower alone (including detangling).

RavennaNight
February 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
If they work for you, then use them!;) I like to change it up, and currently am using conditioner with silicones, and a balm with silicones on my ends. I like to wear my hair down, and due to old dye and heat damage (over 2 yrs ago) I want to protect my fragile ends without having to resort to wearing it up all the time. Drugstore brands aren't evil. Just because it is inexpensive doesn't mean it sucks. VO5, for example, is conefree, and is a great conditioner! Herbal Essence and Tresseme are great coney varieties! Don't limit you choices. Experiment and assess your hair objectively, you might be surprised by what does work for you.

kwaniesiam
February 22nd, 2011, 10:49 AM
First of all thank you all so much for all of the replies. I now feel completely confident in switching back. :)

And oh my gosh really? For a few months my scalp has been flaking like crazy, and my hair shedding has gotten out of control. I never had these issues in my life before I started using organic shampoos and conditioners. I feel like I might have a thyroid issue (the shedding is REALLY bad). Wow I wonder if they are really contributing to this for me as well. I loose 100+ hairs in the shower alone (including detangling).

It may be your shampoo causing the sheds, but if you even suspect your thyroid get tested! Hair loss was my first symptom of being Hypo.

RancheroTheBee
February 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Sulphate-free shampoos didn't work for me. I ended up having a lot of buildup. Cone-free conditioner worked fine for me, but I do crave those fancy sulphates.

Now I use Finesse for Regular Hair (that's a thing! I've achieved the impossible!) and my hair is silky and fancy-free.

It's your hair! If it feels good, do it, is my motto.

Zefyra
February 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
I use coney conditioners. My hair likes them so I see no need to change what Ive been using. Herbal Essences, John Frieda and a Garnier leave in are what Ive been using recently.

I dont think any of the "rules" around here can be treated as the end all be all... Everyones hair is different...

That said, welcome (back) to the dark side XD

Cupofmilk
February 22nd, 2011, 11:12 AM

Go to your doctor and see about the thyroid.
For me it was clear cut that the shedding started post sulfate free and so I trialled stopping it - within a week (3 washes or so) - the shedding was vastly reduced and the itching much better. I wish there was a one stop solution for all - but of course it is simply trial and error.

virgo75
February 22nd, 2011, 11:35 AM
rosieex3 - Welcome to the next stage in your hair journey!

It seems as noobs we all go through that phase of trying sulfate free/cone free/all natural/oils & berries only hair care.

For some it ends up being the happiest their hair and scalp has ever been.
But for many it ends up being a search for understanding why their scalp is flaking, their hair is falling out, and it's dull and dry when they're treating it "so well."

I had hair loss with co-washing that was as severe as what you're experiencing now.
2nd the suggestion of getting your thyroid checked out, but mine was fine.
Turns out conditioner and any kind of creamy products on my scalp makes my hair fall out. :shrug:

Happy hair growing. :flower:

rosieex3
February 22nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Thank you all for the replies. :)
I am most definitely going to get my thyroid checked out to be safe, probably in a week or two when I can get an appointment. For now, I'm excited to switch back to using Aussie Moist (what I remember loving before going all organic and whatnot). I just find it so odd how the major shedding started once I started switching around things.

virgo75, the first LHC technique that I first tried was co-washing. That is actually when my major shedding started. I got my whole family into co-washing, and my mom complained everyday about how her hair was shedding like mad. I always just tried to ignore the shedding, but I can't anymore because it gets worse and worse! I'm excited to see if things "normalize" once I go back to sulfates/cones.

SlightlySoprano
February 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
haha! Just to chime in here,

I went through the exact same dilemma not too long ago, because my hair hates sulfate free. I don't necessarily use cones, but I can if I want to. DBF uses the new garnier fructis line that's cone free, I can't think of the name of it... Will edit this later when I get a look at the bottle... that smells AMAZING!

I personally am using my prescription shampoo (for Seborrheic Dermatitis) and garnier fructis length and strength. Loving it!

scorpio_rising
February 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
1) there is an environmental impact in using sulphates and 'cones (marine persistence; bioaccumulation; petroleum depletion)
2) I want out of the media and corporate systems that convince us to buy products in order to achieve false standards of beauty

That's precisely how I feel, but I've been off commercial hair and body stuff for many years - it's not a result of LHC. If trying stuff I read about here on LHC was making it so I no longer enjoyed my hair, I can assure you I would quit whatever it was tout de suite.

It's your hair! If it feels good, do it, is my motto.

WORD.

Tia2010
February 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Everyone's hair is different so just go with what works best for you. If your hair loves cones, sulphates , protein or whatever else ...use them !:)

I try to be conscious of whats in each product but I try not to obsess over it like I was . I'm much happier not having to stress over every little ingredient I'm using on my hair.

Darkhorse1
February 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
I love using products with those 'evil' cones. My hair needs them and it works for me, so I have n intention of changing that.

What many people here have found though, is that these ingredients bothered their scalp/made their hair/scalp unhappy, hence they cut out the product.

I can't use anything with blue dyes in it as I have a sensitivity and my scalp gets angry at me, and I always look at the ingredients on a bottle because anything with citrus in it helps cut the oilies for me.

So, rejoice in your hair and find what makes it happy :) Oh, and never say you'll never color. I said that for eons until grays started sprouting everywhere ;)

daaisychains
February 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
<3 Go for it!
I was exactly the same, i'm glad i've switches back to my everyday 'drugstore' stuff :) I'm only 19 and id rather enjoy the pretty products and smells as long as it dosn't wreck my hair. And so far so good, i am loving it. I'm 19 so i know how you feel!

mellie89
February 22nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
I went back to 'cones months ago and my hair has never been happier! It is shiny and soft, and it always smells delightful.

There is definitely no one-size-fits-all hair care routine. Coconut oil is a miracle product for many people here, but it made me shed like mad. CO makes my hair just a bit too greasy to wear down, which I love to do, so I don't CO anymore.

There is no point having long hair if you don't enjoy it on a daily basis. :)

anthonyswife
February 22nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
I understand where you're coming from. My concern about ingredients comes and goes, my routines come and go, I've gone sulfate and silicone free many times off and on over the years (I am again now), but I feel that nothing works perfectly forever. It's good for your hair (or at least most people's, I would say) to switch things up. I've been thinking about going back to a moisturizing sulfate/silicone s&c again. I honestly don't notice much difference going sulfate/silicone free other than more buildup!

Lianna
February 22nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Just make sure you don't get cone build-up, research the cones you use and what method of cleaning they need. ANY build-up is bad, don't go blaming on cones if your hair is getting dry after a while. Just using whatever cone you want and never clarifying is a no-no.

I've been "natural" for months, now I'm back to sulfates/cones everyday, it's the best for me for many reasons.

jaine
February 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM
There are some natural brands that use cones ... Avalon Organics comes to mind (in the green bottle) but I'm sure there are others.

John Masters Organics lavender & avocado conditioner gives me extremely shiny hair even though it's cone-free ... especially if I combine it with a certain kind of styling. I like to comb hard hold gel through my hair to get all hairs lying in the same direction, then don't touch it while it dries, and comb out the crunch after it's totally dry. Here's a picture of what that looked like...shiny! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=89707

Rivanariko
February 22nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'll admit, I haven't tried any of the "fancier" all-natural, cone-free products. All I know is that when I tried to CO wash with Suave Naturals, my hair fell out in clumps. After one wash. I went back to Aussie Moist immediately. I had similar results with my WO experiment that my hair was shedding more, tangling more, and breaking more. My scalp still hasn't recovered from that one.

My hair likes cones. I like my hair with cones. I've managed to grow from waist to tailbone since I joined while using cones all the while, and my hair is pretty darn healthy. I don't care if they're just "hiding" damage or whatever. I like my hair like this, and that's really all that matters.

akhkharu
February 22nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
My hair loves cones too! I've tried fancy, organic, cone-free conditioners and they turn my hair into a tangly, dull mess. I do have some damage and split ends from years of wearing my hair down and if cones can keep it looking and feeling nice, I see no problem with that. Wearing it down causes damage, but I love my hair too much to hide it in a bun all the time. I experiment with different gentle sulfate shampoos, but I've been using Aussie Moist conditioner for years and I don't see myself ever stopping. If cones make your hair look and feel the way you want it to, use them and don't feel guilty about it!

ashlayne
February 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
As I think I recently stated in another thread, I usually stick to Suave products. The shampoo is low cone, and the conditioner is cone-free iirc. One or two sulfates go into the mixture, but overall they treat my hair the best -- not to mention my wallet!! I recently tried to switch to Herbal Essences (the long-term-relationship formula, I believe) and my hair *hated* that. I'm almost afraid to venture into trying any other brands since then. :/

Which reminds me... *goes off on a hunt to see if Suave products are sold overseas where she's moving to in a few months*

rosieex3
February 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Thank you for all of the replies :) And jaine, your hair is gorgeous!