PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Swimming?

CaliforniaAnne
February 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM
So, I enjoy swimming, but literally have not been swimming in nearly ten years out of fear for damaging my hair in chlorinated pools. I also am blind as a bat without glasses and have trouble seeing in the pool...and have found my eyes sensitive to chlorine....and I hate the smell, and I don't like wearing a hundred different pieces of equipment in order to be able to be in nasty smelling water. I'm happy to swim in rivers etc., but haven't had the occasion. I live in a city, and there aren't any natural places to swim. Anyway, to get to the point: The next town over from us has recently revamped a turn-of-the-century natorium (public swimming pool...in those old style, fancy buildings with the lovely tiles--I'm sure many of you have seen the like). They have stayed true to the original pool plan though, and use saline water (salt water) instead of chlorine! I know that salt can dry out hair as well, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is safer? Less damaging? Recommendations? Thoughts? Ideas? I'd LOVE to go for a swim, especially in such a beautiful, historical building. :) Thanks!

dragonette@1
February 21st, 2011, 08:43 PM
Good question. I think I would comb coconut oil through, then braid it gently. And then rinse and use lots of CONDITIONER afterwards.

jujube
February 21st, 2011, 08:49 PM
Yes, definitely use a lot of heavy oil, and then wash and condition.

teela1978
February 21st, 2011, 09:18 PM
I get mine wet before swimming, and usually cover it with a swim cap (I use latex, many here prefer the silicone kind). That seems to be enough for me, I also wash with sulfates after (I do that every wash though :)). I find salt water to be less of an issue than chlorine, that chlorine smell can stick around forever! Neither is particularly good for your hair though.

ETA: not sure if it makes a difference, but my salt-water swimming has all been in the ocean. Might be somewhat different in non-natural salt water but I have no idea how the two differ.

manderly
February 21st, 2011, 09:49 PM
If it's a saline pool, the salt content is less like the ocean and closer to saline solution.

It's really not terribly damaging and more like swimming in softened water. You'll get out and feel "slippery" because of the soft water. Some say their hair loves it. It's definitely nicer on the hair than chlorine.

A light oiling or even just wetting your hair with fresh water would be sufficient to protect your hair.

Enjoy! :)

CaliforniaAnne
February 21st, 2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks for weighing in everyone! This is very helpful! :)