PDA

View Full Version : One of the best uses for my computer monitor

missmanytoes
June 11th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I'm not a big believer in the whole "computers save us soooo much time/money/labor" meme. Especially since I work in retail and Saturday is our busiest day of the week and the computers almost exclusively break on which day? Bueller? (I probably just dated myself. Meh - I'm only as old as I feel and today I'm only 18...with lots and lots of experience! :D) I swear these electronic gizmos know when their malfunctions will cause the most drama. Anyway, this really isn't about my love/hate relationship with computers, I wanted to let you guys know the absolutely coolest use for a computer monitor evah! So here I am cruising the boards late at night with the lights off (don't want my insomnia to bother the DH's or the critter's sleep) and playing with my hair when I notice that is a split end. And there is another. So I grab my scissors and start an S&D. The backlight that the monitor provides really makes those splits stand out and I just had the easiest time finding the little buggers! So I guess sometimes computers make my life easier.

coppercurls
June 11th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Ha, I knew I wasn't the only one!:p

Saranne772
June 11th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I have also done this. Hehe

systemaurora
June 11th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Good idea! I'll definitely have to give that a try... *sharpens scissors* My old CRT monitor needs at least some useful purpose, lol.

florenonite
June 11th, 2008, 11:01 AM
You didn't date yourself! I'm 18 and got the reference (and found it hilarious). And I do the same thing!

spidermom
June 11th, 2008, 11:16 AM
My best place for S&D is the truck. I guess it's because the inside colors are dark and the light is bright. All the colors around the computer are too light, so I can't see detail about my hair.

sowhat
June 12th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I've done the S&D a few times in the glow of my monitor, it makes detection easier than using my dim bathroom lighting:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e262/triumphgt6/home/100_0841LargeMedium.jpg

Computers do make more things efficient! Just at your store level, it performed inventory, saved the transaction details for accounting and marketing(regional sales calculations allow easy redistribution of goods) and allowed a sale price to be implemented with little work on the store employees part. This saves numerous hours of work and drastically improves efficiency.

It just seems your store is not properly building a network able to maintain the peak traffic but rather maintain order during average traffic while tolerating sales spurts at busy times on weekdays. BTW - I'm not a Network Engineer, but I do have to complain at them all the time.

Mrs_Zombie
June 12th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Another idea: for an old CRT that you're not using, gut it and turn it into a cat house/bed. We did that here and the cats like it.

You can recycle the insides, i believe. Just another suggestion ;)

manderly
June 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I always S&D by the light of LHC......it almost seems like destiny :)

And it is definitely the best light source for it.......I find I get so engrossed that I have to touch my touchpad because my screensaver will come on :oops:

Riot Crrl
June 12th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I thought that the CRTs were cat butt stands, and the flat screens were cat hiding panels.

jojo
June 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
me too always s&d in front of the comp screen! phew glad I am not alone!

camillacamilla
June 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Count me in...in front of the monitor is really the only place I S&D...and LHC's background is nice and light, so it makes finding splits easy on my dark hair. :gabigrin: