PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a wooden hair fork?

owlathena
February 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck coming across wooden hair forks/pins/sticks in stores. I'll probably break down and order some online or off the swap boards, but I'd love to be able to hold it, maybe try it out in my hair before I drop the $$ on it. I really want a Baerris three pronged fork or something similar, but they're $40+ including shipping on amazon and being a starving college student, I can't afford to not like it. So have any of ya'll run into wooden hair toys at a mall or a store, or have any ideas on where or what type of places I could start looking?

BrightEyes7
February 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM
I've never found any wood hair toys anywhere, but I did get some bamboo knitting needles from Michael's. They were like $7 for a pack of 5. They are just a plain light colored wood. Nothing special about them. I also found some bamboo chopsticks at CVS for $4 for a pack of 4 pairs so 8 total sticks. They are strong and I had only had the cheap plastic ones from Claires before, which kept breaking every time I tried to do a secure updo.

They work for me, and they aren't as pretty as some of the awesome sticks online but they also don't cost an arm and a leg... because I too am a starving college student! :p

owlathena
February 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM
Just got back from the mall. I FOUND a three pronged wooden fork as well as a few two pronged ones and some wooden hair sticks. They were in a store called "woolies" or "woollys" or something that sells clothes and trinkets and random things from around the world. The fork I got has a fish on it and I think its rather ugly, but it holds my hair more securely than anything I've ever tried before (admittedly not that many hair toys). I think I'm either going to paint it or sand it down to get rid of the fish. The best part is that it was only $3. THREE DOLLARS! I'm so happy with it, I'll go find my camera so I can share it with you guys...

(I also got a tangle teezer while I was out just now...I've just used it once on myself and on DBF, but so far I think its kind of "meh." It detangles just fine, but there were still plenty of pulled out/shed hairs on it. I think I still prefer my Denman's, but its too soon to really make a judgement.)

owlathena
February 21st, 2011, 03:19 PM
I've never found any wood hair toys anywhere, but I did get some bamboo knitting needles from Michael's. They were like $7 for a pack of 5. They are just a plain light colored wood. Nothing special about them. I also found some bamboo chopsticks at CVS for $4 for a pack of 4 pairs so 8 total sticks. They are strong and I had only had the cheap plastic ones from Claires before, which kept breaking every time I tried to do a secure updo.

They work for me, and they aren't as pretty as some of the awesome sticks online but they also don't cost an arm and a leg... because I too am a starving college student! :p

I think I have the exact bamboo knitting needles that you're talking about! AND I got them at Michaels hahaha! I've thought of using them in my hair, but I'm just not crazy about hair sticks in general. I really like forks though. I used to wear hair sticks in elementary school (I've always been a hair weirdo) and I got made fun of a lot since I was really over-weight, dressed strangely, etc. and now I just kind of get a bad vibe about using them again. Its silly, I haven't worn them since 6th or 7th grade and I should just get over it, but its just one of those things that sticks with you(pun intended).:p

Kitteh
February 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM
Chopsticks (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_kw=chopsticks%20bamboo&_fcid=53&_jgr=1&_localstpos=&_sc=1&_sop=15&_stpos=&gbr=1)! Or you can flash a smile to the waiter in your local Chinese restaurant and ask/tip nicely :wink:

Don't forget to sand them down with a fine sandpaper!

sapphire-o
February 21st, 2011, 04:54 PM
Sounds like awesome find! The best I ever found in local stores are some bamboo hairsticks with bead dangles, and some fakkares. Never seen a fork that's not plastic or metal. If you want to find more wooden forks, Etsy is where most people get theirs. :) They aren't all expensive. Quite a few are nice and under $20.

owlathena
February 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM
Its just so nice to be able to hold it and try it out first. I wouldn't buy pants online-how do I know they will fit? Once I get more comfortable with fork/stick buns I'll probably get a little more brave about buying hair toys online.

owlathena
February 21st, 2011, 05:28 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6989&pictureid=96661

and a close up of the fish:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6989&pictureid=96662

The fish is OK, but Its not exactly something I want to wear in my hair all the time. I've broken out the sand paper and paint. Wish me luck!

CrisDee
February 22nd, 2011, 04:52 AM
Here's (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Leginayba) a great seller of inexpensive forks. There are a couple threads discussing the seller, the concensus seems to be that the forks are ok for the price (very inexpensive!), but that they take foreeevvveeerr to arrive. Awesome that you found one at your local market, even with an angry fish carving! :laugh:

owlathena
February 23rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
...And here is the same fork after a couple of hours of sanding! Its not as shiny, but still completely smooth. I haven't decided if I'm going to leave it as it is, paint it, or glue on some feathers :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6989&pictureid=96738

Blandine
February 23rd, 2011, 05:49 AM
Leave it as it is - the wood has such a pretty grain and pattern. A plain wooden piece like this will probably match almost everything in your wardrobe.