PDA

View Full Version : Anti Frizz Serum - Are they like conditioners?

Dreamkitty
February 21st, 2011, 05:58 AM
Ive seen Anti frizz serums in the shops but Ive never used one on my hair. Are they similar to conditioners? is it bad to use on hair?

lapushka
February 21st, 2011, 07:04 AM
Serums aren't conditioners, or leave-ins. You have to use them sparingly or you'll end up with sticky hair. A tiny amount is enough for coating half of your hair. Like a fingertip's worth, or just a few pumps from a spray bottle.

Boudicca
February 21st, 2011, 07:07 AM
Like Lampushka said.

I've always ended up with wet-looking, sticky hair every time I've tried them. You need waaaaay less than you'd think.

CareBear
February 21st, 2011, 07:08 AM
I also think a lot of them are full of cones, so keep an eye out for that.

krissykins
February 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM
I also think a lot of them are full of cones, so keep an eye out for that.

Yes, the cones are there to smooth down the cuticle of the hair, hence the "anti frizz" effect. It would be best to avoid them if you are cone free, but cones are not evil :p

Fairlight63
February 21st, 2011, 09:04 AM
Let's be name callers, :p
What are some good Anti Frizz Serums to buy? What have you tried & liked?

krissykins
February 21st, 2011, 09:13 AM
*points finger at John Frieda Frizz-Ease*

THIS ONE (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/john-frieda-collection-frizz-ease-hair-serum-extra-strength-formula/ID=prod3121507-product)

Seriously smooths down my hair. I've used it on friends when styling their hair and they love it.

lapushka
February 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
Let's be name callers, :p
What are some good Anti Frizz Serums to buy? What have you tried & liked?

Chi Silk Infusion. Most definitely! Use a small amount, though, a very small amount!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apf_OePS_Ac

ScarlettAdelle
February 21st, 2011, 09:22 AM
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum is really quite nice, especially if you like the smell of green apple...

Anje
February 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
They aren't moisturizing the way conditioners are, but they can be protective the way coney conditioners are. They're pretty much all silicone, with a volatile silicone to make them easy to spread before they dry.

I've used the Garnier Fructis one, and like most silicones for me, I found it made my hair get dried out after a day or two. If your hair reacts well to silicones, you'll probably have more luck.

Delila
February 21st, 2011, 09:44 AM
If it helps, think of them as cosmetics for your hair. You use them to create a specific effect that's not permanent.

As I understand it, some serums have the kind of cones that need a fairly strong shampoo to wash out, others don't. I've never been one to read labels and analyze the differences, though, so I can't really get specific. A board search may turn up more particulars.

GlassWidow
February 21st, 2011, 09:48 AM
I haven't used the Chi one, but until recently attempting to go 'cone free I used a lot of serums.

My most recent fave biosilk (and there is a difference between buying it at the salon vs. other places. The salon version is definitely better).

John Frieda is good, too. I usually only bought it when it was on sale, though, as it tended to be a little pricey for me. I know, weird since I recommend biosilk! ;)

I used to like CitriShine, but after a time wasn't able to find anything other than the spray version, which I didn't like as much. I also used the Netrogena one at some point, and liked the result, but not the smell.

I was using the Organix brand serums, recently, too. They smell yummy, but I think they got sticky quicker than their more expensive cousins. I still liked them quite a bit, but definitely couldn't do second day hair when using them. Keep an eye out for "try me free" rebates on the bottles, though!

I also alternated in some balms, rather than serums. I liked the John Frieda one, but also used Tresemme and , an Ellin Lavar one I got from CVS on clearance. They're intended to use on dry hair to calm fly aways, but I always used them on damp hair.

Anyway, if you're not averse to 'cones, and are looking for something to tame fly-aways, serums can be a decent choice. A little goes a long way, and it's always better to underestimate, since too much means shampooing to get it out. Check the ingredients, though - sometimes the cheaper ones contain a lot of alcohol, which can just make the fly-away problem worse in the long run. I hope you find something you like! :)

patienceneeded
February 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM
I happen to adore anti-frizz serums. But I also love cones and they are full of cones! You only need a little bit (dime-size or less, depending on the length and thickness of your hair). If you have never used a serum it is easy to overdo it. Start with just a few drops on your hand and then rub your palms together then run your hands down your length and through your hair. You can always apply more if you want, so start with very little until you know how much your hair needs. My favorites are by Redken (Glass) and by Aveda (Brilliant shine gloss). Avoid getting too much near your roots, you'll want to either avoid the roots altogether or do them last, when most of the product has already come off your hands and onto your length.

Luna12345
February 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
hey I use to use anti frizz serums all the time....alot of them coated the hair but I still had frizz. They are not like conditioners, they all have silicone. They coat the hair and you can get build up. I have very thick curly hair and a dime size for each half of my hair was sometimes more than enough. If you're going to use one I reccomend Friz-eaze hair serum by john freda....It was the only one that eliminated my frizz in my opinion and you can get it from the drugstore. :)
Its good to use serum if you heat style hair because it will protect it from damage.

abbatabba1137
February 21st, 2011, 11:16 AM
I love, love, love the giovanni: frizz be gone!

It seems to be the only one that wont give me a headache from the smell. Plus, its all Natural and Organic!
It's in most the stores here in the US, but I'm sure you could find it online....

McFearless
February 21st, 2011, 11:22 AM
I used them to make my hair sleek when I tied it back. I used the Garnier Fructis one in the short round pump bottle. It worked well and my hair was extremely shiny you could almost see your reflection in my hair(curlies know how big of a deal that is). You can use them before blowdrying or just a drop after styling. I wouldn't recommend them to those who stretch washes for a long time because they can lock out moisture. You need sulphates to wash them off most of the time.

dorsetlady
February 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM
I've tried lots but I like John Frieda Frizz Ease best. :) You have to be careful though as too much makes your hair feeling stiff!

Anywhere
February 21st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Seconding the Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. I used it for when I straightened my hair and it worked fine, and my hair isn't fond of cones usually.

virgo75
February 21st, 2011, 12:58 PM
I have no fear of cones and like serums for making my hair silky and shiny.

Of the ones I've tried, my favorite is Biosilk Silk Therapy.

A distant 2nd place is the Garnier but that's because it can make my hair looks stringy and the scent is waaaaay too strong.

I've also used the CHI Silk Infusion and have a giant bottle of it in my closet but I don't use it much because the protein is too much for my hair(makes it crunchy & tangled at the ends) and the scent is strong and man-ish. It's like men's deodorant or cologne or something. :shake:

mellie89
February 21st, 2011, 01:34 PM
I have been using the Garnier Fructis Anti-Frizz Serum, and I love it! My hair is so shiny and soft, it's crazy. I use one pump before blow drying and about a half of a pump afterward. (Yup, I blow dry. It's winter! :D)

Keep in mind, I wash every other day with sulfates and my hair loves 'cones. I also enjoy the GF scent, which is good because it is REALLY stinky. I've had two people tell me that I smell good recently, but I have to wonder how many people are thinking, "Good LORD, that girl reeks!" :p

Dreamkitty
February 22nd, 2011, 05:37 AM
I went to the shop and bought a " Gum Anti Frizz Serum" which Brazil nut scent, it was 50P at reduced price so I thought a good find!:D. I washed & shampooed my hair as usual. Then used the serum on my hair (quite a large amount as my hair is thick) and left it on for 2 minutues.

When my hair dried, my hair was really sleek, soft & silky. If I used a conditioner I wouldn't have got those results. But it looked like my hair loved the serum.

2 days after my hair feels a bit dry though and my hair has a little bit of frizz like Anje said.

But for the most part, silicones seem to work really well on my hair because the conitioner, serum contains silicones and I see a difference.

By the way can you use the serum like this? because I felt like I didn't need to use a conditioner if I was using a Anti Frizz Serum.

Shampoo
Condition
Serum

Pixna
February 22nd, 2011, 05:40 AM
I use Kimberlily's De-Frizz Spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277). It is not a conditioner, but it does work as a defrizzer. Don't use too much or your hair will be flat. Just use a few spritzes on wet or damp hair, comb it through, and let your hair air dry. Voila! No frizz! :D

stkl
February 22nd, 2011, 08:10 AM
I really like a kerastase one for colored hair n a pinkbottle, because it doesnt build up. the redken Glass serum makes hair look really really shiny but it builds up quite badly even with a sulphate shampoo.

CarpeDM
February 22nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
Looking for an all natural smoothing serum? Try Aubrey Organics NuStyle organic smoothing serum, a little goes a long way!