PDA

View Full Version : How has diet affected the quality of your hair?

rena
February 21st, 2011, 02:49 AM
I've always wondered about this. Can one's diet, whether healthy or unhealthy, really produce noticeable changes in the quality and appearence of hair?

2peasinapod
February 21st, 2011, 03:14 AM
After I started eating really healthy, my hair really improved. It is shiny and vibrant. There are lots of little baby hairs everywhere that weren't there before, and despite how it feels sometimes, my hair is actually growing!

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=59584) is an old thread about this (Will eating a healthy diet really make a significant change in your hair?). I don't have any personal experience from the other side (I cut my hair short when I ate unhealthy anyway), but I can say that the people I know who eat a very unhealthy diet (mostly fast food, very few vegetables), have very dull, lackluster hair.

Finoriel
February 21st, 2011, 03:38 AM
The healthier I eat, the faster my hair grows and I'm also shedding less then. It's hard to say if the growth/shedding is more connected to stress or eating though. I cook healthier and therefore eat healthier when I have the time to do that, which is usually during low-stress phases... but I tend to think it's more related to diet, since the stress I have is of the "positively being busy"-sort and not a negative kind of stress.
And eating healthy also impacts my skin. It's noticeabley less greasy and less dry when I eat more vegetables, salads and fruits and not so much crap :p. So I also notice a difference in general scalp happiness and how fast my hair gets greasy depending on what I eat.

Lianna
February 21st, 2011, 05:49 AM
I'd say the most impact would be if you don't eat enough, which would make you loose hair or have really dry hair. On the other end, if you eat enough plus some I don't think there's an impact on the hair.

SummerSkye
February 21st, 2011, 07:57 AM
Yes, I think diet has had a major impact on my hair. I lost far to much weight last year due to wedding, dental work (ouch and ongoing) and major stress and at my lowest weight my hair was probably at its worse and loads of it falling out. Ive now put back on weight and my hair has stopped falling out, started growing again and looks loads healthier. Im a very long term vegetarian but dont think that that had any negative affect on my hair as long as I was eating a balanced diet.

RancheroTheBee
February 21st, 2011, 09:47 AM
I struggled with an eating disorder when I was younger, and my hair was more prone to breakage. It also grew a maximum of about four inches a year. Once I started eating regularly, my hair is coming in a lot thicker and a little faster. Hair isn't that important to your body, so if you're not eating right, it sort of puts the whole growing-hair deal on hold.