PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Splits and pics

UltraBella
February 20th, 2011, 06:01 PM
ETA : I added an UPDATE, it's post # 35. thanks !

So, I oiled my hair with coconut oil three days ago expecting to wash it out the very next morning. I have been sick so I stuck my hair up in a bun and totally forgot about it for three days. Didn't take it down, comb it or anything.
I am feeling much better and decided I better wash it. I just took it down and a lot of the oil has been absorbed, I am surprised it is not greasier. Don't get me wrong, you can definitely tell where I oiled it, but it is not nearly as oily as I was anticipating.
I just had a trim last week and afterwards kept reminding myself to try to S&D for the first time in over 10 years. I don't have many split ends but there are some. The majority are from the hairs at the nape of my neck, that is where I get the most taper and some splits. I think it from winter coats, friction, etc.
Anyway, I just looked at them three days ago. Now I can't find a single one. NOT ONE !!!!! Where did they go ? Can coconut oil somehow disguise splits ? Are they hiding ? Did they magically disappear ? I had my daughter inspect my hair and she can't find any either.
Has anyone else experienced this ?

Since I am posting I might as well take the opportunity to share my oiled hair pics !!!! Why ? Because it looked pretty cool a bit greasy but curly from my bun. :D

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0715copy.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0719copy.jpg

Nae
February 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I get splits that disappear as well. I can never seem to find them again if I don't happen to have scissors around when I stumble onto them the first time.

No fair, by the way, your hair still looks awesome all oily!;)

EDT: Perhaps the oil is sticking the splits together. They may pop back up again once your hair is back to normal and not covered in coconut oil.

sunnyhope
February 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM
ur hair is just amazing, oily or not.
i just told my bf i want that hair.......................

Zefyra
February 20th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Well I dont oil my hair (Ive tried and dont like the results much...) so I cant comment on that part. But I can say that Im totally envious of your hair. Its absolutely gorgeous!

ericthegreat
February 20th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Its official: I am GREEN with envy over your hair. If your hair can still look that thick and full even after its been FULLY OILED, I can only imagine what its volume must be like when its been washed, cleaned and dried. You simply have stunning hair, I love the new color and new layers. :)

rosieex3
February 20th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I'm not too sure..but, I would kill to have hair like yours. SO so so jealous. It's beautiful. :)

UltraBella
February 20th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Its official: I am GREEN with envy over your hair. If your hair can still look that thick and full even after its been FULLY OILED, I can only imagine what its volume must be like when its been washed, cleaned and dried. You simply have stunning hair, I love the new color and new layers. :)

Well, Eric, I didn't oil the first 8 inches from my scalp. Just the lengths. And I have never ever left oil on my hair for that long but I think I like it. Maybe I should do this more often !
Thank you for the compliments, I adore your hair as well.

Everyone else, thank you too ! I am hoping more members chime in about the disappearing splits phenomenon. I could easily find them on my new, darker color just three days ago. How could they be hiding completely ??

Pantsless Amy
February 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I can't weigh in on the disappearing splits, I have no clue about that. But add me to the long list of people who covet your hair. In my next life I want hair like yours.

McFearless
February 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM
The oil makes your waves all defined and pretty. It doesn't even look oily! Damn you:p

Jcv-Shelley
February 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I've actually known what you mean when the oil seems to seep into your hair. Not completely, but better off when you first oiled it. Awesome hair by the way, I've always appreciated curls like yours.

MrsGuther
February 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
UltraBella: your hair is amazingly beautiful and healthy! I love it!!!

UltraBella
February 20th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I've actually known what you mean when the oil seems to seep into your hair. Not completely, but better off when you first oiled it. Awesome hair by the way, I've always appreciated curls like yours.

Those curls are thanks to my bun I was wearing. Or usually my Caruso hairsetter. I just have some wavies and frizzies naturally. There is a pic in my hair album entitled "natural texture". It's not nearly as pretty as big curls !

cinemax
February 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Ultrabella your hair is sooooooooooooooo beautiful!!!!!

ericthegreat
February 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Well, Eric, I didn't oil the first 8 inches from my scalp. Just the lengths. And I have never ever left oil on my hair for that long but I think I like it. Maybe I should do this more often !
Thank you for the compliments, I adore your hair as well.

Everyone else, thank you too ! I am hoping more members chime in about the disappearing splits phenomenon. I could easily find them on my new, darker color just three days ago. How could they be hiding completely ??

It appears to me that the coconut oil completely smoothed over all the split ends that you do have. You allowed three whole days for your hair to completely absorb the oil, so I'm sure that amounted to a very intensive deep treatment. I think that if you were to do a clarifying session or two, that would remove all that oil and the splits would reappear. Not that you would want to have them reappear!! :tmi:

Fufu
February 20th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Utrabella: I want you hair, 1 strand also can :)

HintOfMint
February 20th, 2011, 08:57 PM
First of all, your hair is so gorgeous!!!! It's the most beautiful hair I have ever seen, whether in an advertisement, movies, TV show, or real life.

Secondly, the coconut oil is probably sealing your splits, or (less likely but still worth considering) the new color shows splits in a different lighting, so your traditional way of seeing them isn't working. Maybe try looking in different lights/backgrounds.

scorpio_rising
February 20th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Damn you:p
:laugh: Seriously, your hair is just :thud:
Are we annoying you yet with our ignoring of your question in favor of fawning over your amazing hair? :laugh:

UltraBella
February 21st, 2011, 12:15 AM
If you all want to fawn over greasy hair, be my guest ! It may make me blush :D

Maverick494
February 21st, 2011, 05:20 AM
I can chime in. I've had a couple of split ends I've been wanting to cut for a while (but forgot) and after an oiling session I could not find them.

So here's my so-not-expert explanation:
We notice split and dead ends because they're lighter than the rest of our hair. So what if the moisture of the oil makes the contrast less significant? Just like when you wet your hair it looks darker, could the moisture of the oil disguise our damage? That or bad eyesight is the only explanation I can come up with.

Nae
February 21st, 2011, 05:24 AM
Lol, but Ultrabella's hubby should be able to help her with any bad eyesight problems. ;)

Mesmerise
February 21st, 2011, 05:28 AM
Well the oil may also help those ends "stick" together. I would imagine that the splits aren't gone, cause I'm pretty darn sure they can't be healed, but the oil may be helping them sort of stay together.

BTW I also agree you have gorgeous hair Ultrabella! I also imagine it would be so heavy, as it's sooo thick and long. I guess your neck gets used to it though :D

skyblue
February 21st, 2011, 05:40 AM
Wouldn't it be wonderful if oil could fix a split end! I'm gaga over your hair tooo!!!
I have splits disappear on me all the time, I often sleep in heavily oiled hair overnight and wash out in the morning, I have never gone days though, so I don't know how to answer your question maybe the weight of the oil seals temporarily???

Cupofmilk
February 21st, 2011, 05:46 AM
This happens to me to after a heavy oiling. In my case I have found the splits re-appear after the next wash. I do however have quite a few splits.
I agree with Eric - your hair is amazing! The layers are perfect.

Carolyn
February 21st, 2011, 06:03 AM
I'm sure your splits aren't really gone. The coconut oil has smoothed the tips of your hair out. The lightness and the featheriness of the split ends is disguised by the oil.

lapushka
February 21st, 2011, 07:09 AM
No more S&D, oil pampering from now on! If you can't see them, they're not there, so just keep on making sure you don't get to see them. ;) :D
Your hair looks great. I love the curls and the volume!

charalito
February 21st, 2011, 09:51 AM
Gorgeous hair! I have a serious case of hair envy!! the color, the curls, the bounce... oh my!

Joliebaby
February 22nd, 2011, 01:00 AM
Mmm.. wonderful hair :)

Regarding the disappearing splits, I think the oil has temporarily glued them together.

My hair eats up oil like that too! I can use a pretty generous amount overnight and in the morning wear my hair down because it's been absorbed into my hair. "A drop or two" has never been enough for my hair..

Sheltie_Momma
February 22nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
For me the oil makes the hair darker. On my hair I find splits by how light they are - my dry sad split prone hairs are usually a much lighter orange color but when oiled it all looks darker and blends in.

BabyRay33
February 22nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
When I use the oil I lose the splits too. Which is a problem because I typically oil right after washing. But I have noticed that I can always find them better in sunlight. But I haven't had a really sunny day when I had time to search!

But, like everyone else is saying- beautiful.

NouvelleNymphe2
February 22nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
i can kind of chime in. since deep conditioning with avocado+EVOO+organic avocado oil+honey my hair is in much better condition and i can no longer find splits around my face. now given my hair is still at chin length so my ability to spot splits is limited to what is framing my face because the other strands aren't long enough to pull around to eye view. but all the same the face framing layers are in great shape and i haven't found a split to be dusted.

also i must add how jealous i am, three days after being sick and you look absolutely drop dead gorgeous. your endlessly thick red hair is AMAZING, i can't wait to see it at tailbone!!:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

Darkhorse1
February 22nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Jaw dropping gorgeous hair UltraBelle!

I've had this happen to me as well. I have splits one day, do an oiling or a heavy condition and whammo gone (or coloring). I think it lays the split down and makes it harder to see. Like Eric said, if you clarify, you'll probably find them again. The only way to remove split ends is to cut them...nothing will repair a split, though apparently there is some new product that glues split ends together...just saw it in Allure magazine.

Also glad you are feeling better!

daaisychains
February 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Not only your hair, but your face.. wow!

You are so pretty! :)

pennyroyal
February 22nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
I'm just gonna be another one here to praise your gorgeous hair!!! Wow!

As for the disapperaing spilts, i agree with Darkhorse1. Maybe you should just keep oiling it instead of s&d. :D

Rocket22
February 22nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
OMG my entire head is probably the thickness of your bangs :) hey you have the reverse Ombre look going on, very nice!!! I agree with the others it's probably the oil hiding them

UltraBella
March 13th, 2011, 11:00 PM
UPDATE : EEK ! I did this again with coconut oil, a really good oiling, my hair completely covered in oil just like last time.......but.......this time was a MAJOR disaster !! My coconut oil hardened back up in my hair. This has never happened before. It's always solid in the jar, so I melt it in warm water and then apply it with no problems. But this time, it hardened back up and really quickly. It was like I had super hold gel in my hair ! I had to wash it all out, what a waste :(

My thermostat is always set at the same temp, so no variation there.
Any ideas why this happened this time and never before ?????
Does EVOO absorb into the hair as well as coconut oil ?

GrowingGlory
March 13th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Could be changes in ambient/atmospheric humidity.

UltraBella
March 13th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Could be changes in ambient/atmospheric humidity.

Would humidity really have such an effect on coconut oil ? I thought it was mainly just temp ?
I live in Montana, land of DRY air. Humidity would be welcomed with open arms ;)

GrowingGlory
March 13th, 2011, 11:48 PM
It can affect the way that your hair absorbs oil.

christine1989
March 13th, 2011, 11:59 PM
This happens to me too but only when I use a lot of oil. My hair seems to get really stiff like the oil has hardened :confused:. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the amount of oil put in since it never re-hardens when I use a small amount.

UltraBella
March 14th, 2011, 12:37 AM

That makes sense. But my hair never even had a chance to absorb the oil, it hardened within 3 or 4 minutes. It was immediately.

Lianna
March 14th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Other oils that I know can penetrate the hair shaft are EVOO and avocado oil. :)

x0h_bother
March 14th, 2011, 06:55 AM
UPDATE : EEK ! I did this again with coconut oil, a really good oiling, my hair completely covered in oil just like last time.......but.......this time was a MAJOR disaster !! My coconut oil hardened back up in my hair. This has never happened before. It's always solid in the jar, so I melt it in warm water and then apply it with no problems. But this time, it hardened back up and really quickly. It was like I had super hold gel in my hair ! I had to wash it all out, what a waste :(

My thermostat is always set at the same temp, so no variation there.
Any ideas why this happened this time and never before ?????
Does EVOO absorb into the hair as well as coconut oil ?
You probably got saturated(oversaturated.) I get crispy when I use too much or too frequent coconut oil. A little every so often goes a long way, as you saw in the first post. And yes, my splits have 'disappeared' randomly too. I'm not complainin even if they are being hidden :p

x0h_bother
March 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Interesting!