PDA

View Full Version : Cut my hair with ordinary scissors

rena
February 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hey everyone. My very last cut (the one that made my hair its present length that was done about maybe four weeks ago) was also done with ordinary scissors I just grabbed off my desk. They were not meant for hair, were not at their sharpest, and I had to do alot of "slicing" movments to cut the pieces of hair I grabbed, which were also kind of thick.

The very tip-tips of my hair, like the very last centimeters are very rough like the ends of a frayed rope. I think these are splits. Could this be because of what I used and how I cut my hair? Thanks in advance.

PrincessTieflin
February 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I would say yes... ordinary scissors are kinda dull and not meant for hair....

Also just from my history as a former stylist and the owner of curly hair.. if you cut it dry, and with dull scissors you run the risk of alot of spits.

Mesmerise
February 20th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Umm yeah... ordinary scissors that are super sharp and used carefully may be okay for hair, but if you really had to work hard to cut, then there's little doubt that you did damage.

When you cut your hair you should do it with SHARP scissors, and only do a thin layer at a time.

My advice would be go go to a professional and get your ends trimmed off as soon as possible.

UltraBella
February 20th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Yep, dull scissors are a big no no. Oops ! Before the damage creeps up your length, I would trim your ends again. And invest in a nice pair of scissors just for your hair :)

sunnyhope
February 20th, 2011, 06:25 PM
plz do use proper hair scissors and that includes everyone here that does any cutting at all.

Kathie
February 20th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Also just from my history as a former stylist and the owner of curly hair.. if you cut it dry, and with dull scissors you run the risk of alot of spits.

I didn’t realize that dry cutting can cause splits!

UltraBella
February 20th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I didn’t realize that dry cutting can cause splits!

I don't believe it does. We do plenty of dry cutting in my salon. But with very sharp scissors !

PrincessTieflin
February 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I don't believe it does. We do plenty of dry cutting in my salon. But with very sharp scissors !

Maybe its time I sent mine to get sharpened ;)

That and my hair splits if I look at it wrong :D

Kathie
February 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM

Good to hear... I'm a fan of dry cuts.

RocketDog
February 21st, 2011, 03:01 PM
SHARP scissors are an absolute must, no matter how wet or dry your hair is when you cut it. I have to cut my hair dry because of my hair's texture, if I tried to cut it wet it would end up looking all sorts of wonky when it dried.

PrincessTieflin
February 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Again ... just my experience with having my hair cut when dry... :shrugs: