PDA

View Full Version : Crown Braid Tips

MadPirateBippy
March 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I just tried to do a crown braid.

After I detangled, I figured I should ask for some tips on how to do it. Seriously, it was bad. If anyone recalls my mongo buns? Worse.

I looked like someone had laid a dead weasel across my forehead and then tried to braid it. That is not the elegant look I was hoping for.

Tips? Advice? Open mocking?

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Well I haven't done one in well over a year, but I do remember that I had to keep a wide toothed comb handy and comb my tassle repeatedly as I was braiding to avoid a rats nest.

I also sectioned my hair into quarters and secured each one with a clip till I needed that hair for braiding... that helped keep things sorted out a bit and less tangle prone.

ETA:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking more about doing this, and I remember another thing I forgot to mention that I did.

Instead of adding hair to BOTH sides as I braid, like you would in a normal french braid, I only added hair to the inner side of the braid. (the side that will encircle the crown of your head.) I think I've seen this called 'lace' braiding? Anyway, it helps cut down on how many times you have to section your hair = less tangles!

Islandgrrl
March 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I voted for cheese.
I've never worn crown braids and have to idea how to do them!

Anje
March 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'm not going to vote yet because I just started sorting out how to do them last week. (On Shell's suggestion, started braiding across the top/front first, which made a big difference.) I may have to do them more often than monthly, though, because I like the look and the balance.

Ria
March 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I tried them once a few weeks back and it was a mess, so I voted cheese. I like the idea though and may have to give them another try.

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM
My avatar is a crown braid variation (?called coronet braid?) which is really easy. I just made two braids in the back, then crossed them at the nape of my neck, then brought the ends up around my head and pinned down on top.

Sometimes I Dutch braid from the front, curving behind my ears toward the part in the back, enabling me to finish the braid over the opposite shoulder from where I started. I make 2 braids like this. Then I cross the bases of the braids and bring the ends up and around, pinning down under the edge of the Dutch braid. It looks very intricate, like I've got 4 braids, and gets all the short pieces out of the way.

hrimfaxi
March 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I've never tried to do one because my braiding skills simply are not up to par, I feel. I've just recently become able to reliably do a decent English Braid. I can sort of Dutch Braid my hair... sort of. We'll get there eventually...

Juliet's Silk
March 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Never, I'm simply not able to braid any other way than down my head. I can do French and Dutch, 4 strand, 5 strand, 9 strand in theory, and about everything as long as I braid down my head. Any other direction and it's impossible. A small single braid around the crown? Two French braids? Nope. I'm just not able to. :wail:
As long as I don't master the art "of braiding in another direction" I'll content myself with Heidi braids... spidermom, at least that's what it's called - twin braids looped over the head.

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 03:24 PM
... spidermom, at least that's what it's called - twin braids looped over the head.

No... I don't think so. Heidi braids go upward first and cross at the top. Mine go downward and cross at the nape, then come around the top.

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 03:26 PM
My avatar is a crown braid variation (?called coronet braid?) which is really easy. I just made two braids in the back, then crossed them at the nape of my neck, then brought the ends up around my head and pinned down on top.

That is called Heidi braids, and I wear them often!

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM
No... I don't think so. Heidi braids go upward first and cross at the top. Mine go downward and cross at the nape, then come around the top.

Traditional Heidi braids go down... that's what all the artwork I've seen show.

I think hair books started showing to go up and over, because it takes less length to get over the top than under and up and over.

awesometruffle
March 12th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I attempted this recently and, well, my DH told me that the result would attract attention, which I like to think meant attractive :p

I'd be happy for some tips.

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I find a true crown braid to be really aging on me. I look like the grandma of somebody my age haha.

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Traditional Heidi braids go down... that's what all the artwork I've seen show.

I think hair books started showing to go up and over, because it takes less length to get over the top than under and up and over.

Not that it's life or death, but I looked up Heidi braids, and all sites described braids that go upward and cross at the crown. So I'm not calling mine Heidi braids because they go in the opposite direction. But this is just semantics; either way, it's a comfortable and relatively easy style.

FrannyG
March 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I've done crown braid only about 4 or 5 times, but I really only mastered the French braid about 2 years ago. Stagecoach, your idea of 4 sections is a really helpful suggestion. I'm going to try that next time. I can see how that would make it easier. :flower:

FrannyG
March 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Spidermom and Stagecoach, you two are cracking me up. :)

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Spidermom and Stagecoach, you two are cracking me up. :)

Anything to distract me from imaging reports.

longhairedfairy
March 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I chose the cheese option because I don't think I've ever had crown braids before. I was surprised to see that 80 percent chose the same, lol.

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Not that it's life or death, but I looked up Heidi braids, and all sites described braids that go upward and cross at the crown. So I'm not calling mine Heidi braids because they go in the opposite direction. But this is just semantics; either way, it's a comfortable and relatively easy style.

lol, well it's really no big deal! :flowers:

Masara
March 12th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I chose weasel because MPB's description of a dead weasel across her forehead sounds like every crown brain I have ever done. The start off OK but the front is always wierd and the end is unmentionable. I use the separating into quarters technic which was in karren Ribble's book which means I can now braid all the way round, but it's still not something I can even show to me nearest and dearest.
I'll have to try starting from the front instead of the back

Minx
March 13th, 2008, 03:14 AM
The ability to do a crown braid escapes me. I've tried and all attempts would make children cry :lol:

I'd love to master it.

SparklePi
March 13th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I have only succeeded in Crown braids a few times and once it was worth wearing outside of the home, LOL. It took time to get it even, tight, smooth, etc.

Heidi braids, Smeidi braids, whatever. Semantics fer shur. :) I do mine like Spidermoms though. Maybe it's the length one had as to which way works best. Now i'm going to have to experiment !
If i do something like this, I prefer to part on side (or do a pouf and then part center behind it) and braid each side French-style only adding hair on one side -the hairline- to make it stand up more, and then after finishing the braids, i cross them in back and wrap them lying close to the french braids. I turn the ends under to make the ends smooth, then clip or pin as needed. The best part is how comfortable it is to sleep in after a good and secure hair day!

But with the inspiration of this thread may make me try a reg. crown braid again.....

MadPirateBippy
March 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Okay. Since almost everyone says something about cheese eating weasels, I can only come to one conclusion.

To defeat the cheese-weasel crown braid thing, I must try to do crown braids every day until I manage to get one right.

Clue One as to why my crown braids suck: I can't French braid for poop.

My hair is freshly washed. I am going to try to crown braid it, and I will post a picture of my attempt. I want to challenge all of you who want to LEARN to crown braid to join me on this. The only way to success is through repeated, hilarious failure! Otherwise, how will we learn?

I'm off to do my first attempt. Come back later for a pictorial update.

Sorus
March 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Cheese-haired crown braid incapable weasel victim, reporting in for the challenge! :cheese:

If I'm feeling really procrastinatory (finals time, eeek!) I'll post pictures. Just hope I don't do it too often, lest ye suffer adversely from all the laughing it will inspire.

MadPirateBippy
March 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM
God bless the fact that dark wet hair tends to look good with a flash on. I promise, the reality is much less lovely.

These are kind of big, I wanted to show the messy not-that-spiff look, but when I made the images smaller it didn't show off how bad it looks as well.

I was trying to be tidy. It didn't work.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/madpiratebippy/A%20Hair%20Album/DSCI0063.jpg

Me not looking like a serial killer:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/madpiratebippy/A%20Hair%20Album/DSCI0064.jpg

If I need to make the images smaller, Mods, please let me know.

I know most of us only post pictures of our hair looking fantastic. Well, I'm here to show off my learning curve, and sometimes, it's not so pretty.

At least I don't look like I have a cheese eating weasel on my head right now.

Sorus, I'm counting on you to post some pictures so I won't be alone! Let us unite against the bad updo cheese weasel!

Sorus
March 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
This is on oiled pre-shower hair, which really helped with the ends tangling less. By leaps and bounds the best crown braid I've ever pulled off, I'm slightly amazed. Practice is really helping; since first finding this thread this is the 4th try. I've tried to learn before but gave up discouraged.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/dovetothemax/CW_2.jpghttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/dovetothemax/CW_1.jpg

I still have lots of work to do though. The loose parts would look nice if they were consistent, but the lopsided look has got to go. Also, I still can't mange to get a nice pinwheel parting from the center of my head. Not that the chunky pieces with scalp showing through aren't absolutely lovely....:rolleyes:

Anje
March 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
OK, I'm attempting to link to my photoalbum, but who knows if this will work. Most recent crown braid. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=105&pictureid=575)

Shorty89
March 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I tried it a coupel times but my hair got horribly tangled and it looked wonky. Sorry that I'm not any help!

Billie
March 14th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I never had any problems with tangling or weasels when I wore crownbraids. I don't even really know how to help, because I find it quite an easy hairstyle to do and to wear. Except for the side wear you braid upwards. That side is always much looser than the other side.

Meli
March 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I haven't voted yet because I have never had any crown braids. I think they are very beautiful and the next time I get the urge to play with my hair I might try one. However, my hair tangles a lot when I do regular French/Dutch braids so perhaps I should practise some more on those before I make any attempt with crown braids. I just hope that my tangling problems are not caused by cheese-hair... :cheese:

khyricat
March 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I haven't been able to do them the last 2 times I tried, but in high school it was my standby hairstyle for running.. (I was a cross country and marathon runner)..

I would seperate the front, then the rest would get split in thirds (kinda like the diagram from the old site for starting dianyla's braid.. with a straight part above it).. then I'd braid across the front, down the side, across the back and up the other side and tuck the length in around. Honestly, I think part of my problem is my hair is wavier now then it was then, and possibly longer.. I'm right about where it was longest ever, so this may actually be longer than it was then!

Amie

getoffmyskittle
March 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Stagecoach? Know how you said you make 4 sections? Which one do you start off with? 'Cause I have successfully made ONE crown braid in my whole life, and I always start behind my left ear, but that is really hard...

Stagecoach
March 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hey Stagecoach? Know how you said you make 4 sections? Which one do you start off with? 'Cause I have successfully made ONE crown braid in my whole life, and I always start behind my left ear, but that is really hard...

I always started with my front right sections and worked my way clockwise around my head..

This thread has me curious to see if I can still do one! Even though I don't wear them anymore!

Wavelength
March 14th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I voted for the cheese weasel, because I've never been able to do a successful braid besides the standard English braid. I've tried others, and either the ends of my hair start braiding themselves (leading to horrible tangles), or my arms get so tired they feel like they're going to fall off.

I'd love to learn how to do a crown braid though, because I think it looks so elegant. Maybe I should start lifting weights and strengthen those arms...!

blackcat905
March 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I would love to wear a crown braid but I've not yet worked out how to get the braid to stay in place, it always seems to fall down. However I love the look so I'm not giving up quite that easily! I think I'll try making a thinner braid and then putting the rest of my hair in a bun, hopefully that won't get weighted down easily.

freznow
March 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I haven't done one in a while because once, in conversation, my mom mentioned she doesn't like them at all :( That combined with the fact that my only attempts have ended up with lumpy twisted misery...

But I'll try again with the tips you all gave here. Maybe I can make something of it, and see how I like how it looks.

Stagecoach
March 14th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I was thinking more about doing this, and I remember another thing I forgot to mention that I did.

Instead of adding hair to BOTH sides as I braid, like you would in a normal french braid, I only added hair to the inner side of the braid. (the side that will encircle the crown of your head.) I think I've seen this called 'lace' braiding? Anyway, it helps cut down on how many times you have to section your hair = less tangles!

freznow
March 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Attempt!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/freznow/Crown018-1.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/freznow/Crown006.jpg

I think, all in all, it turned out nice. Except for the fact that it's more bun like than anything, because somehow all updo's gravitate to be lower than I wanted them to be. My hair just won't go that way, I guess, it just likes staying pulled back/down. And I really need some amish pins, those bright blue bent double pointed knitting needles are rather obvious!

My favorite things are 1) even though my head was rather lumpy, that was easily gathered and tucked under the braid that I wrapped around and pinned. 2) it's so comfortable! I didn't believe y'all before, seeing how my last ones pulled all which way, but this one is great. It did tangle a lot, but if I had to run a marathon I'd definitely go for this.

I'm thinking next time I'll try the lace braid. It may turn out more crown braid like, and less tangles is definitely a bonus!

getoffmyskittle
March 14th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I managed it too. :D Like Stagecoach, I did a lace braid, but I took the sections from the outside. My first attempt is in my avatar, here's my second attempt (which is actually around the crown as opposed to a random circle in back):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/getoffmyskittle/100_0144-1.jpg

I made 4 sections of hair before I started and started with the top right section, braiding counterclockwise around my head, and it worked great! :grin:

MadPirateBippy
March 14th, 2008, 11:48 PM
YAY! Freznow and GetOffMySkittle, I am SUPER PROUD OF YOU! WHOOO!

I've been doing the lace braid thing, and I wound my end around the braid in front. My sweet boyfriend took pictures for me, and I'm going to sleep in the braid- I slept in mine last night and it was FANTASTIC.

You guys rock!

Oh, a side note, I got a compliment on my hair yesterday when I thought it looked like crap from a waitress, and today I kayaked for a couple of hours and my hair wasn't in any danger, which was good because even a down-the-back braid would have gotten in trouble a couple of times. It was really delightful, it took me about 10 minutes to do it this morning, and I was able to just go.

It rocked!

YAY!

khyricat
March 16th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I think I'm going to try this again today.. if it works, I used to wear one when running marathons to keep my hair contained and out of the way, so I could see using one during relay for Life, even if I get a nap in, this should be comfortable for sleeping

AprilElf
March 16th, 2008, 05:39 AM
This is something I need to learn. :o
I'll set aside some time this afternoon to make an attempt. *inspired by the group 'project'* ;)

WavyGirl
March 16th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I voted for cheese because my hair's to short to do the english braid round the head version and I have no luck getting the french crown to work. It is one of my goals for this year and I have tried repeatedly. Weasel is a strangley appropriate description of the mess that ensues. I am going to try stagecoach's suggestion of a lace braid because I always find the seperation the hardest part - that's when I can feel pulling and tangling happening. I love this style and really want to master it.

getoffmyskittle and freznow those are great examples. Wish I could get mine to look like that. I like the way they look further back on the head too.

Goes off to practise some more...

florenonite
March 16th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I'm going to start doing these for bed again. I did a while ago but got lazy, and if I do them daily before going to bed, eventually I can wear them out of bed, too!

AprilElf
March 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Ouchy, sore arms ... :(
But I have a sense of accomplishment with my first crown braid attempt:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=145&pictureid=3995

It's a Dutch braid starting from the front left side of my head and working anti-clockwise. (I think I was planning to start from front right and go clockwise ... I don't know what happened there ... :confused: I must've just naturally started on the left. *shrug*)

I got stuck numerous times --not keeping close enough to my head-- and had to unbraid and correct at various points along the way.
I'm going to have to refine my technique a heck of a lot if I want to include this in my updo challenge ... ;)
But hey, I had fun!

MadPirateBippy
March 17th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Holy Cow, AprilElf, that's FANTASTIC!

I'm glad that you went back and fixed it. I never do that when I'm learning a style... but I did go a lot slower when I knew I was going to take pictures and post them here, and that DID help prevent weasel hair. :)

Diamondbell
March 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM
AprilElf - it looks beautiful! How did you do it?

I tried this two days back using instructions from dreamweaverbraiding.com. I am just not able to do it! Any easier version available? Or any other website with instructions? Thanks.

AprilElf
March 17th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Thanks MadPirateBippy and Diamondbell. :)

I don't know of any easier instructions --I was looking at Dreamweaver Braiding as well. And very quickly figured I wasn't going to be able to do it exactly as she had. :rolleyes:
I decided to concentrate more on the new skill of braiding around and close to the head.

I would suggest starting a braid above your ear (halfway between ear tip and crown?) on whichever side you choose. Don't worry about fancy partings for now. Braid towards the back of your head and pick up small sections of hair from above and below as you braid. Keep your hands close to your head --don't let them wander away like mine did, and I had to go back and undo! Then when you get right around to the point where you started, you finish the braid normally, wrap around and pin.

I found it got a bit tricky handling the braiding and the sections at times, but if you can do a French braid you should find it easier. (I'm really bad at those!)

Hope that helps.

Sorus
March 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Wow, I'm so envious of all the really nice looking first attempts. You guys are amazing!

Golden Mermaid
March 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I'm going to try! The last time I did one was several years ago when my hair was shorter than it is now. Pics later.

Gwaihiril
March 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I have always been too scared to try crown braiding, but you all have inspired me! I will post a picture once I have attempted it.

Golden Mermaid
March 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hi, it's me again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/Alicia_Kendra/th_S6300118.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/Alicia_Kendra/S6300118.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/Alicia_Kendra/th_S6300115.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/Alicia_Kendra/S6300115.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/Alicia_Kendra/th_S6300113.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/Alicia_Kendra/S6300113.jpg)

These are my first attempt, a dutch braid.

Those are all clickable, excuse the dorky face, pictures credited to my sister's camera and my finger.

khyricat
March 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM
good first tries, and with practice it gets neater and easier.. trust me I used to do one a week when I was running.. I don't think my hair was quite this long back then, and it was definitely thicker, but still..

AprilElf
March 17th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Great going, Golden Mermaid! :applause
It looks really cute.

getoffmyskittle
March 17th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Everyone's first tries are awesome!! Including my own (:lol:), which I cannot replicate to save my LIFE. Every day, it gets worse. I have horrible unwearable bagginess now on the side where I braid UP. Any tips for getting rid of this?

Anje
March 17th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I haven't been able to manage this yet as a French or lace braid, just Dutch. I've also had more luck going across the top of my head first, rather than making the bottom of the circle first, as described on Dreamweaver, because it means I can start out upright, rather than bent over with half my hair combed forward over my face to keep it from getting added too early.

Hope that helps someone.

MadHatter
March 17th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I voted cheese:cheese:. I know that if I even attempted to do a crown braid I'd get really irritated, so I'm not going to try.

Poolsoflaughter
March 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I've attempted a crown braid a few times...My best result was also similar to a weasel, or some other furry creature! :D

Stagecoach
March 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Everyone's first tries are awesome!! Including my own (:lol:), which I cannot replicate to save my LIFE. Every day, it gets worse. I have horrible unwearable bagginess now on the side where I braid UP. Any tips for getting rid of this?

This was the problem I struggled with most. What I found my problem to be was, the sections of hair I was taking, weren't lining up with section of the braid I was putting them into, thus leaving 'extra' hair between my scalp and braid, which then sagged.

The father around the head you get, the bigger the sections of hair you'll need to take to keep the sections matching the braid.

*wonders if this makes any sense*

AlleyKitten
March 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM
:cheese: here. My housemate attempted to crown braid my hair once, but it didn't go very well. I can't even French braid, so I think I'll work on learning that first.

I'm particularly amused by the inclusion of weasels in this thread -- I have pet ferrets, which are sort of the domestic cousins of the weasel family, so we call them weasels when they're acting up. I definitely hope they don't eat my hair! (I also hope they don't eat any cheese, as dairy upsets their tiny tummies.)

In lieu of a picture of my with a crown braid, here is a picture of me with an actual mustelid on my head: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/38/80016506_db215bd48c.jpg?v=0

MadPirateBippy
March 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Sorus, you should do a first try too! :)

I mean, the whole point is that we are learning!

Getoffmyskittle, I've found pausing every third or fourth plait and tightening a bit, and detangling the length, helped me keep things weasel and big honkin sag free. Let me know if this helps!

AlleyKitten, your genuine head weasel was much cuter than my non-genuine head weasel. And it also looks a hell of a lot more like a crown braid.

Sorus
March 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM
MadPirateBippy, my pics are right under yours. I guess it isn't technically a first try, but it is the first I've photographed. You can view it in all its oily piecey glory! I'm so jealous of all the first trys that are polished looking. You guys are amazing.

I've been practicing a bit, and I guess I'm improving a little. After finals are over (I have one on Saturday of all days!) I'll post more pictures.

getoffmyskittle
March 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
This was the problem I struggled with most. What I found my problem to be was, the sections of hair I was taking, weren't lining up with section of the braid I was putting them into, thus leaving 'extra' hair between my scalp and braid, which then sagged.

The father around the head you get, the bigger the sections of hair you'll need to take to keep the sections matching the braid.

*wonders if this makes any sense*

Yes, it makes a lot of sense! I'm taking a bit of a break from the crown braid (too frustrating :silly:) but I will definitely keep this in mind next time I attempt it. Thanks!

HappyHaley
March 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I voted that I make crown braids occasionally. My problem with them is half my scalp gets tired so I can wear them only a few hours. Only the side that is braided up is the tired side. I start at the bottom left side and go around clockwise. The side braided up looks a little funny because my hair is not used to going in that direction but it seems to get better each attempt. If one side of my scalp didn't get tired so fast I'd wear it like that more often. I think too that with blonde hair and a crown braid I look very Scandinavian. I'll try again tomorrow after I've washed my hair. It's too greasy today to try.

~Haley

getoffmyskittle
March 20th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Yay, I got it!! Thanks for the help, everyone. I have one sort of sticking out piece but nothing unwearable.

Now, the true test... will it survive lifetime fitness? :scared:

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Curiousity finally got the best of me and I just tried the crown braid for the first time:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/crown.jpg

Not the most beautiful thing in the world... But, I think I got the basic idea. And, I was doing this while typing to someone through IM, too... So, I'm impressed by my multi-tasking skills (and arm strength-endurance!).

Wavelength
March 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM
What are you impressive crown-braiders using to pin your braids up? Amish pins, bobby pins, chignon pins? Inquiring minds want to know!

Stagecoach
March 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Wow, that's a lovely crown braid AJoyfulNoise!

Anje
March 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Mine aren't impressive yet, but I use a few standard cheapy U-shaped hairpins. I also wet the last few inches which are rather thin to braid anyway, then weave them back and forth underneath the braid, which seems to keep them hidden and secure.

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
What are you impressive crown-braiders using to pin your braids up? Amish pins, bobby pins, chignon pins? Inquiring minds want to know!

I used a handful of these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/100_4608.jpg

And one bobby pin for some hairs on top of my head that went all wonky.

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Wow, that's a lovely crown braid AJoyfulNoise!

Thank you! I was sure it looked awful. :o

Wavelength
March 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM
So that's a Good Days pin, correct? I don't have those... :(

I tried pinning my hair up once in a similar style with hair scroos. The result was, let's say, less than optimal. Which surprised me, because generally hair scroos hold up a bun very well. Different styles require different tools, I guess!

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 11:41 PM
So that's a Good Days pin, correct? I don't have those... :(

I tried pinning my hair up once in a similar style with hair scroos. The result was, let's say, less than optimal. Which surprised me, because generally hair scroos hold up a bun very well. Different styles require different tools, I guess!

I don't think they were specifically called that... But, I got them at Wal*Mart. I've also seen them in Walgreens. I have heard that I am a special case, though. Not all of the stores have them.

Katze
March 26th, 2008, 02:17 AM
wow, GREAT attempts from all of you who say you can't do it! Sorus, even though you say your hair's messy, I'd wear that out of the house...!

I love the IDEA of a crown braid (as opposed to "coronet" which is what my mom always called two braids pinned up along the crown of the head - "coronet" to me meaning "little crown") but every time I have tried it I have gotten MUCH worse results than any of you dared to post! :P

The only success I ever had was something that looks like what Spidermom and Mad Pirate Bippy have -it was a braided headband, crown (lace) braid style - and I was never able to repeat it, no matter how I tried.

One problem for me is the way the hair pulls into the braid, and keeping the rest of the hair out of the way while braiding. Both of these "challenges" lead to me having something that looks like the cat chewed on it on my head.

Another challenge for me is that trying styles over and over again gives me greasy hair. My hair is best when not handled, so any day that I start trying a style and then want to go out of the house, I have to wear my hair up. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with this problem?

Until I have the time and patience (and help?) to do this on my own, I'm sticking with either the coronet (what many here call "heidi") braids or maybe even the braided headband if I can make it work again.

Last summer I saw some women at a Viking event who had a braiding book and were braiding each others' hair in complicated ways. They were our neighbors in camp, and I'd been chatting with them a bit as we sort of know each other, but when I asked them if they could please try something nice on me, they responded by telling me that I don't have enough hair for them to braid, that it is "much too thin and short". Thanks. :( I guess I have to show up next time with a crown braid, huh?

florenonite
March 26th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Katze: I do my dutch crowns at night before bed, because then if I greasify (is that a word? ^_^) my hair before bed some of the oil will soak in overnight and my hair doesn't look greasy the next day.

Diamondbell
March 26th, 2008, 05:46 AM
AjoifulNoise the Crown Braid is beautiful! :flower:

Stagecoach
March 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Wow, so the other night my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see if I could still do a decent crown braid... blech, it was simply aweful... :(

No great loss though, as I really don't care for how that style frames my face.

Kittee
March 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I will post my embarrassing attempt at a crown braid tonight when I get home from work. I tried one yesterday. I didn't know about this thread though until today! lol.

Must have been some LHC psychic transmittin going on!

Kittee
March 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/workbucket007/FeebleCrown.jpg

YUCK =) And to think, I even wore to work like that haha!

jupiterjuniper
March 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM
You guys have been really educational to me. In the last few days, I've learned the dangers of cones, the joys of essential oils and more stuff to mix with my henna to make it better. And now, I've taken all of your lovely braid tips and done a pretty horrible first attempt, but I thank you all, because my arms got a pretty good workout.http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2342/braidsqy4.jpg
http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/3503/braids2vo8.jpg

AJoifulNoise
March 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Kittee & jupiterjuniper- I think those are both lovely crown braids!

Chamomile betty
March 30th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I voted the cheese option.
I have never done a CB but I do admire them.

Maybe when I get brave lol

Nynaeve
March 30th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I voted cheese. Posting pictures of my HILARIOUSLY horrible first attempt ever in a few minutes.

Nynaeve
March 30th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Ok, as promised the photo of my bloody awful first attempt at a crown braid

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l285/minamulder/funnyhahaha.jpg

This photo doesn't show the full lopsidedness, but the right side seems to be a bit chunkier since I started on the left.
:shrug:

thetokenlady
March 31st, 2008, 05:34 PM
I did it, I did it! Never thought I could do a crown braid, but I've been practicing dutch braids for a few days and thought I'd give it a go. Hubby took the pic, since he was sitting down at the time he had me bend forward to try and get the entire braid. It's messy, but it's there.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee210/thetokenlady/first-crown-braid.jpg

khyricat
April 1st, 2008, 06:19 AM
no pics.. but I have a crown braid in.. I used to wear my hair like this all the time, and I can see why.. though I won't wear it this way very often to work- it's annoying under the headset- I normally have my hair pulled further back and out of the way.

AprilElf
April 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Wow, and the pics just keep coming!
Awesome stuff Kittee, jupiterjuniper, Nynaeve and thetokenlady!

And it can only get easier after the first go, right?! ;)

thetokenlady
April 3rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
I have a question for all you experienced crown braiders. What is the best way to secure the "tail" of hair you have after your braid meets where you began? So far, I can only get small claw clips to keep the tail in place tucked against the beginning of the braid.

I've been doing a crown braid each evening, and I think I'm starting to get marginally better at it. Tonight's looks the best so far. This time I started the braid at the nape of my neck and worked up the right side of my head, across and down the left. The loose tail winds all the way around to my left temple. I ended up redoing the left side of the braid once because the first time I did it the left ended up much higher on my head than the right side. Now it's down closer to my ear and a bit more balanced.

AprilElf
April 5th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Well, the one and only* time I did the crown braid, I tucked the tail under the braid wherever it happened to wrap around to. I think I managed to just push it through a gap in between my head and the braid, and secured it with a bobby pin.

*Hence - not 'experienced'. :rolleyes:

Xandergrammy
April 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I have no idea how I missed this thread, but I'm going to have to try a crown braid again. Every one has done such pretty ones- even on your first tries. :inlove: The only time I ever tried it was last year when my foot was broken. I had a lot of time to play with my hair. I didn't get a full crown braid, but I liked the look of what I ended up with, anyway. :gabigrin:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/DSCN0183.jpghttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/DSCN0182.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/DSCN0181.jpghttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/DSCN0184.jpg

Katze
April 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Xandergrammy, that is a lovely braid! It looks different from other crown braids I've seen...and really suits you! I might just get inspired in a couple of days (dirty hair needed) and try what you've got...

Xandergrammy
April 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Ok, as promised the photo of my bloody awful first attempt at a crown braid

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l285/minamulder/funnyhahaha.jpg

This photo doesn't show the full lopsidedness, but the right side seems to be a bit chunkier since I started on the left.
:shrug:

THAT is NOT hilariously horrible. I think it looks very pretty.

Xandergrammy
April 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Xandergrammy, that is a lovely braid! It looks different from other crown braids I've seen...and really suits you! I might just get inspired in a couple of days (dirty hair needed) and try what you've got...

Thank you so much!! :flowers:

Nynaeve
April 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
THAT is NOT hilariously horrible. I think it looks very pretty.

AWWW!!!
Thanks so much Xandergrammy, you just made my day!!!! :cheese: :heartbeat

Frenchie
April 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I have never done a crown braid - but I goggled it for pics and I am in love with a French crown braid. Do you need a lot of hair to do that?

MadPirateBippy
April 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Everybody's braids have been amazing. You girls (women? People of probably feminine gender orientation?) are incredible.

Yay LHC!

AJoifulNoise
April 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
You girls (women? People of probably feminine gender orientation?) are incredible.

:lol: Nice.

Anje
April 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I'm getting serious hair envy here, with all you ladies' big fat crown braids. Mine are skinny.

Tonight, I think I need to make another attempt. It's been a few weeks since I've done one of these.

AJoifulNoise
April 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I tried again the other day and... I was less than successful. Must keep practicing!

khyricat
April 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Anje- mine is skinny too, next time I try I'll take pics...

And Tokenlady- I used a few bobby pins, but I need to find something better than that.. they stick out funny.. I was thinking the mini jaws might look decorative, or maybe using some of my kippah-clips.. I can't remember what they are called by the rest of the world- the little clips that are wider at one end and snap open with a narrower piece underneath...

Amie

thetokenlady
April 9th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I was thinking the mini jaws might look decorative, or maybe using some of my kippah-clips.. I can't remember what they are called by the rest of the world- the little clips that are wider at one end and snap open with a narrower piece underneath...

Amie
I call those things snappy clips, 'cause they snap into place.

My braid is skinny too, but after I took down today's challenge toy I did a crown braid and it's actually suitable for public view! I've been doing one each night and the practice is starting to pay off. I have the tail secured with 2 small decorative side combs and it looks pretty good. If I can get fast enough to do this before work I may use these combs as a challenge item and wear a crown braid to work.

I've also been experimenting with starting the crown braid at different points on my head. This one I started just above my left ear and worked around the back of my head so the messier tail part is running across the back of my head and the front part is a single somewhat neat braid.

Irishred
April 11th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I tried to do crown braids last year, had one successful-ish attempt. have not tried it since but I have done the faux crown like spidermom's :)

Arual
May 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I can't do a propper crown braid, but I can do a good cheaty version. I braid my hair into two dutch braids- one normally going down my head, the other started at my neck and going up. Then I wrap the two braids into a crown and pin in place. It looks pretty good and is miles easier than a crown braid.

Nynaeve
May 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Everybody's braids have been amazing. You girls (women? People of probably feminine gender orientation?) are incredible.

Yay LHC!

Heheehehee :)
Thanks for the giggle!

I'm getting serious hair envy here, with all you ladies' big fat crown braids. Mine are skinny.

Tonight, I think I need to make another attempt. It's been a few weeks since I've done one of these.

I need to make another attempt as well. I haven't had the time to try since last month when I did the one I posted a pic of.

I can't do a propper crown braid, but I can do a good cheaty version. I braid my hair into two dutch braids- one normally going down my head, the other started at my neck and going up. Then I wrap the two braids into a crown and pin in place. It looks pretty good and is miles easier than a crown braid.

Hmmm, that sounds cool. Maybe I'll try it some time.

florenonite
May 5th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I got a decent one a few days ago for bed, about which I was rather chuffed. Shame it was only for bed, though. I'll try and post pics of it.

ETA: Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=11316) and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=11317)

AprilElf
May 5th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Nice one florenonite! And it looks so pretty with your hair colour. :D

florenonite
May 5th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Thank you, AprilElf!

Nynaeve
May 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Nice one florenonite! And it looks so pretty with your hair colour. :D

Wow, no kidding, completely agreed. Your highlights/lowlights look amazing in that braid. It's very well done too!

florenonite
May 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Wow, no kidding, completely agreed. Your highlights/lowlights look amazing in that braid. It's very well done too!

Thank you!

blue_nant
May 18th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I voted for cheese.
I've never worn crown braids and have to idea how to do them!

Ditto, except my scalp has a violent aversion to changing the direction the hair lies. Headaches. Not into that at all.

I've seen nice ones IRL and of course, pics here, but you won't see them on me. :o

AJoifulNoise
May 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Ever since I did it that one time I haven't been able to do it again. Sadness.

Phalaenopsis
May 21st, 2008, 03:09 PM
I've just tried it today. For a first time, I was happy :) Too bad all the layers popped out...
I took some pictures, but I wouldn't dare to show them :o

Phalaenopsis
May 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Here's another attempt. Too bad I have all the layers poppin' out :(

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/05_23_0.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/05_23_1.jpg

And I must say. The crown braid is not for me, yet. It takes some time to make it and I look ridiculous with the layers. I really like the crowning cascade (crown braid with hair loose at the back) but I'll have to get my hair even first.

AprilElf
May 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM
No, it doesn't look too bad! It's cute. ;)
I haven't tried another since my first attempt because it was time-consuming. But I know I'd get faster if I'd only ... practice! :D

thetokenlady
May 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I keep practicing. This really has become my best sleep style, I just clip the tail on top with a couple of small jaw clips. Thank goodness that the sleep version doesn't need to be perfect, or even very good! I have big trouble with one side winding up higher than the other, it seems really hard to make them both come out even. It also still takes me a long time if I want to take the style out in public, I end up redoing it several times!

I'm still working on it though, I'm stubborn!

Phalaenopsis
May 25th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Masara suggested to me to try the French version to solve the layers problem. I've just washed my hair, so tomorrow or so I'm going to try it that way.:)

Medvssa
June 10th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I attempted my second crown braid today :)

This was my first (http://www.innershelter.net/journal/2006/02/crownbraid.jpg). Two years ago...

Sooo:

http://www.innershelter.net/journal/2008/06/IMG_8604.JPG

http://www.innershelter.net/journal/2008/06/IMG_8591.JPG

Making of:

http://www.innershelter.net/journal/2008/06/IMG_8581.JPG
My tips are: close your eyes, concentrate....

...and don't look in the mirror :rollin:

http://www.innershelter.net/journal/2008/06/IMG_8583.JPG

I love this style because it is completely off my neck: fresh. And very stable, and I cannot mess with it :D
I obviously still need to master it, though :o

Phalaenopsis
June 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Oh my gosh :eek:, that's a perfect crown braid and so perfectly balanced at the top of your head. Wish I could do that!

Medvssa
June 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Believe me, it is loopsided :D more to the left of my head, although I could not capture that in the pics. And the hair is unevenly distributed, going in different directions, and I got this weird part in the center circle (which was not my intention ;)) I guess it is not bad for a second attempt, but it is far from perfect :D

Nynaeve
June 10th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Believe me, it is loopsided :D more to the left of my head, although I could not capture that in the pics. And the hair is unevenly distributed, going in different directions, and I got this weird part in the center circle (which was not my intention ;)) I guess it is not bad for a second attempt, but it is far from perfect :D

I can't seem to get it evenly distributed, and I can't get it straight, oh well. I haven't tried in a while, maybe a few days after the next wash I will try again.

susiemw
June 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM
After reading this thread, I decided I needed to try this... I love the look of the crown braid. This was my first time attempting both a dutch braid and a crown braid. For a first attempt I'll take it. I"ll be practicing this one it'll be a great summer hair do. It's not a flattering side view for me (hence no pics) but I'm not a head and humidity person and this will be a great way to get my hair up and out of the way.

Thanks for the inspiration.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/susiemw/Hair/braids%20first%20attempts/crown%20braid/100_0174-1.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/susiemw/Hair/braids%20first%20attempts/crown%20braid/100_0182.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/susiemw/Hair/braids%20first%20attempts/crown%20braid/100_0181-1.jpg

Susan

susiemw
June 14th, 2008, 12:01 AM
sorry about the big pic. photobucket is being strange tonight.

HotRag
June 14th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Forget about weasel, here comes the bottle brush.
I have no taper and are cut blunt, but making crown braid make the ends act as tapered.
This picture shows a braid the second it is made. I few hours later this would look like a fox tail.

Beside this "very hard to hide brush", the crown itself were acceptable.

http://www.ragtime.se/bildmapp/tofsar.jpg

Nynaeve
June 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I keep practicing. This really has become my best sleep style, I just clip the tail on top with a couple of small jaw clips. Thank goodness that the sleep version doesn't need to be perfect, or even very good! I have big trouble with one side winding up higher than the other, it seems really hard to make them both come out even. It also still takes me a long time if I want to take the style out in public, I end up redoing it several times!

I'm still working on it though, I'm stubborn!

I know what you mean, this would be an amazing style for sleeping. Maybe I should get in the habit of doing it every night before bed, then I would get practice and would actually braid my hair for bed.... hmmm.

Loreyanne_H
June 14th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Definitely cheese, but I'm dreaming of getting the crown...too much beautiful!

holycannoli
June 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Wow you ladies have accomplished great things in this thread!! I love the idea of a crown braid, but as I cannot even seem to master a French lace braid (it's just too weird thinking sideways!), this is a bit daunting. I'm really good at French braiding my own hair but the Dutch braid eludes me! Sigh....

Riot Crrl
June 14th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Ditto, except my scalp has a violent aversion to changing the direction the hair lies. Headaches. Not into that at all.

I've seen nice ones IRL and of course, pics here, but you won't see them on me. :o

I have this too. It's not really the headaches so much as the hair just being like "Mua ha ha, you think so do you? Here, have a thousand tangles and some weird looking bumps that you can't smooth out all of them because it's like playing Whack-a-Mole." It is all I can do to get a decent high pony.

Nynaeve
June 14th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Wow you ladies have accomplished great things in this thread!! I love the idea of a crown braid, but as I cannot even seem to master a French lace braid (it's just too weird thinking sideways!), this is a bit daunting. I'm really good at French braiding my own hair but the Dutch braid eludes me! Sigh....

I fail at Dutch braids. I really need to learn, that would probably make me better at crown braids, but I just fail so much at them. haha

I have this too. It's not really the headaches so much as the hair just being like "Mua ha ha, you think so do you? Here, have a thousand tangles and some weird looking bumps that you can't smooth out all of them because it's like playing Whack-a-Mole." It is all I can do to get a decent high pony.

My hair gets like this if I try to go anything more complicated than a simple braid down the back. It will even do this for a bit when I try to do a pony.

Kibeth
June 15th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I was inspired to try this after reading this thread. It's cool, it makes me look all Slavic. I'm starting a lace braid at just behind my left ear, across my part and down and it looks pretty good from my left ear to my right ear over the top of my head. I can't get how to go from the side of my head to the back. I get completely lost with how to hold my hands and which strand is where. How do you guys do it? I think I end up twisting the whole braid around at that point and then doing something weird cause it looks rushed and lumpy. Help?

thetokenlady
June 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM
The hardest part is switching hands. Somewhere around the back of your head you have to switch which hand holds the strands and which picks up while keeping the strands seperated and not tangling. Also, for those who can make a decent crown braid consistently, where do you start it? I've experimented with different starting points and always seem to get a loose or lumpy spot.

FrannyG
June 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
After doing 4 or 5 really bad attempts about a year ago, which were two horrible to even photograph, I finally decided to give a crown braid another shot. This time I did it lace braid fashion, and I was fairly happy with the result.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m154/oopiedoop11/Hair/crownbraidL.jpg

This and another photo can be found in my photo album, in a larger size. Thanks to Skitts for the lace braid idea! :flowers:

Nynaeve
June 18th, 2008, 06:35 PM
After doing 4 or 5 really bad attempts about a year ago, which were two horrible to even photograph, I finally decided to give a crown braid another shot. This time I did it lace braid fashion, and I was fairly happy with the result.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m154/oopiedoop11/Hair/crownbraidL.jpg

This and another photo can be found in my photo album, in a larger size. Thanks to Skitts for the lace braid idea! :flowers:

WOW! Franny, I love your braid so much!! It looks so awesome. You made it so nice and tight, I'm completely in awe!!!

sapphire-o
June 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
The only tip I can offer is let somebody else do it. :D I can manage to do a decent one on other people, not on my own hair. I guess I need to vote for the cheese option. :)

Nynaeve
June 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM
The only tip I can offer is let somebody else do it. :D I can manage to do a decent one on other people, not on my own hair. I guess I need to vote for the cheese option. :)

Haha. Maybe I should try it on someone else, that might make me understand how to do it better on myself.

susiemw
June 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Haha. Maybe I should try it on someone else, that might make me understand how to do it better on myself.

That is a great idea.

I don't have anyone to practice on so
I bought one of those toy doll heads at a garage sale so
I could practice different braids. I need to practice so my hands and fingers learn what to do before I can do them
well on myself.

Susan

rhondalicious
June 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I voted cheese because my arms go numb before I can finish a crown braid, and as a result, haven't had one since I was 12.

I'm just waiting for my hair to be long enough to do one long braid that I can just wrap around my head and *pretend* that it's a crown braid.

Blueglass
June 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I have tried this but how do you stop one side from just floping? I always try not to use to many pins, there is always the section were the dutch braid ends on the side. Also I find the braid tends to fall. Good job susiemw nice color too.

Nynaeve
June 19th, 2008, 07:31 PM
That is a great idea.

I don't have anyone to practice on so
I bought one of those toy doll heads at a garage sale so
I could practice different braids. I need to practice so my hands and fingers learn what to do before I can do them
well on myself.

Susan

I wish I had one. I do have a Styrofoam head that I keep my hats on, but it doesn't have hair. ;)

I voted cheese because my arms go numb before I can finish a crown braid, and as a result, haven't had one since I was 12.

I'm just waiting for my hair to be long enough to do one long braid that I can just wrap around my head and *pretend* that it's a crown braid.

I'm so tempted to do this too, it would be so much easier, but meh. I like trying to do something as well as I can (read: Nyny is stubborn).

susiemw
June 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
[quote=Nynaeve;158267]I wish I had one. I do have a Styrofoam head that I keep my hats on, but it doesn't have hair. ;)
quote]

If you have any friends that like to go to garage sales ask them to keep an eye open for you. They are pretty easy to find.

The weekend I bought mine I actually bought two. One large one for 50 cents that I ended up throwing in the trash since I was unable to get the hair untangled and a smaller one for 25 cents that has been great. I'd still like to find one of the bigger heads so I'll keep my eyes open.

susan

Phalaenopsis
June 20th, 2008, 06:36 AM
FrannyG, that's a gorgeous crown braid!
Aargh, why do I still have layers...

Nynaeve
June 20th, 2008, 12:14 PM
FrannyG, that's a gorgeous crown braid!
Aargh, why do I still have layers...

It might just be from your natural growth from hairs that shed/were broken/ripped out like mine? Or are you still growing out specific layers?

vindo
June 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I am too stupid to do them :(

FrannyG
June 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I will not tolerate anyone talking about our Emi that way. :steam: :flowers:

FrannyG
June 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Nynaeve and Phalaenopsis thank you for your compliments on my crown braid. :flower:

Nynaeve
June 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM

Please no say that. That makes me sad. :(

embee
June 21st, 2008, 06:22 AM
Emi, please.... you're lovely. Not stupid.

I cannot do French braid things, so all I have a a wrapped-around-my-head braid, which was what I always thought *was* a crown braid. It is extremely comfy, and stable. I hold it in place now with small sidecombs but the tucked-in end is held with a barrette. My hair is slick and tries to escape. Here's an old pic of my braid, I guess it would be called a Coronet braid?

http://buncombe.main.nc.us/~mbbweb/longhair/crownbraid.jpg

I prefer the look of a single braid wrapped around because partings in my thin fine hair make me look like I have bald places. :(

Nynaeve
June 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM

I cannot do French braid things, so all I have a a wrapped-around-my-head braid, which was what I always thought *was* a crown braid. It is extremely comfy, and stable. I hold it in place now with small sidecombs but the tucked-in end is held with a barrette. My hair is slick and tries to escape. Here's an old pic of my braid, I guess it would be called a Coronet braid?

http://buncombe.main.nc.us/~mbbweb/longhair/crownbraid.jpg

I prefer the look of a single braid wrapped around because partings in my thin fine hair make me look like I have bald places. :(

I personally love it. It looks so pretty, I could never get a single braid wrapped around to stay so well, good job. :)

Phalaenopsis
June 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
It might just be from your natural growth from hairs that shed/were broken/ripped out like mine? Or are you still growing out specific layers?

I had a razorcut. The hairdresser found that my hair was too thick. I said specifically 'don't thin out my hair', but she didn't listen and took each lock of hair and scraped over it with a knifethingy and that's how my hair is layered and so damaged.:(

Vainjane
June 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I am rusty on the braiding, so do it only rarely. Plus my hair has not been long enough for a while, it is not quite BSL. I guess I should practice up, it would be great for the summer.

Morag
June 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Apparently the largest portion of us have cheese hair, and fear weasels. It's one of the few times I've been in the majority. :grin:

Nynaeve
June 25th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I need to get back into the habit of braiding, I really do.

I had a razorcut. The hairdresser found that my hair was too thick. I said specifically 'don't thin out my hair', but she didn't listen and took each lock of hair and scraped over it with a knifethingy and that's how my hair is layered and so damaged.:(

:( I'm so sorry. This is why I hate hairdressers, in my experience, I always get the ones who don't listen. Or the one who I ask to put my hair up for a dance, and three hours later, my hair is full of random bad-for-me crap and is already falling down anyway.

Apparently the largest portion of us have cheese hair, and fear weasels. It's one of the few times I've been in the majority. :grin:

Hahahaa. :D

goldenwaves
June 26th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Hi, I did a crown braid the other day (if you want to see the link, type "first attempt crown braid" into search) and it was my first attempt so it wasn't perfect, but anyway...I put some tips on the last page. I may even try to put up a tutorial someday. I only added hair from the bottom. It seemed to work quite well! :)

vindo
July 7th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I will not tolerate anyone talking about our Emi that way. :steam: :flowers:

Please no say that. That makes me sad. :(

Hihi..:p, the only way I can do it is wrap 2 braids around my head..looks really messy though:o

embee
July 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Well, I can't do that, I can only wrap one braid around my head. If I made two braids they'd look like little strings and the "do" would be a failure.

Morag
July 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Okay, I tried it. And, well, it wasn't pretty. But it might be if I can get a little more coordinated. Like french braids, it is something that can be done with hair that is is not particularly long and has many layers.

One question - After you have worked your way around your head entirely, and all your hair is in the crown braid, what do you do with that long tail over your left ear? Continue braiding and tuck it across the front (or all the way around) again? Or did I miss some important part of the instructions?

AprilElf
July 8th, 2008, 03:32 AM
As far as I know, you keep braiding and keep wrapping, Morag. :p

goldenwaves
July 8th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I just kept wrapping the tail around and then pinned it in!

mommy2one05
July 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM
As far as I know, you keep braiding and keep wrapping, Morag. :p

What is the braided style in your avatar pic??
This thread was full of very nice braids....and I like how they all look completely different on everybody.
What is the difference between a crown and a coronet braid??

AprilElf
July 16th, 2008, 01:36 AM
They are the same thing. Isn't a coronet a small crown? ;)

The style in my avatar is this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5078), but with only three rope braids (and an accent braid) because I didn't have time for the full seven.

Amara
July 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Sometimes I Dutch braid from the front, curving behind my ears toward the part in the back, enabling me to finish the braid over the opposite shoulder from where I started. I make 2 braids like this. Then I cross the bases of the braids and bring the ends up and around, pinning down under the edge of the Dutch braid. It looks very intricate, like I've got 4 braids, and gets all the short pieces out of the way.

Yes, this is what I do. I didn't know it was called a coronet, I'm used to calling it "double dutch wrapped crown braid" which is much more of pain to type. Heehee!

I also do the dutch crown braid, adding hair only from the top ("inside" - "crownside" not "ear/neckside" of the braid). Though I like the look of the coronet better at the moment, and I really like being able to just unpin the braids and have two braids down to sleep, then repin in the morning.

The crown braid just took practice... I start from the center back instead of over the ear like most people, so my biggest challenge was getting my hands to dutch braid forward over the ear.

goldenwaves
July 17th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Just thought I'd post my pics of my crown braid since that seems to be the fashion in this thread! Here's my first attempt:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/jess2707_album/crownbraidtop.jpghttp://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/jess2707_album/Crownbraid3quarter.jpghttp://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/jess2707_album/Crownbraidback.jpg

goldenwaves
July 17th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Oh anf FrannyG, yours is amazing! I think it probably helps to have 1a hair because it stays smoother at the top!

Raponsje
April 28th, 2011, 05:09 AM
This is an old thread, but all the pictures and tips are inspiring. I really want to master this style. I can do some fake versions like Spidermom's. And I figure if I can get that far, I should be able to do the real thing. So I'll be off and practice, practice and practice.