PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay to have your hair trimmed?

Rapunzel-London
February 20th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Hi Everyone,

Although I don't post very often, I do visit regularly and I have learned so much from you all. I am now officially at waist and I am so happy :cheese:

I have tried to take part in the "no trims / cuts in 2011" but I feel the need for a tiny trim. I went to enquire about the cost of this as I don't have anyone at home who could do this for me and I was shocked at the price.

£46 is what I was quoted today. Is this the going rate for a "TRIM" nowerdays or am I being ripped off? I know I live in London but this just seems scandelous to me.

Please can you advise me on how much to pay as I haven't had my hair cut for about 5 months and I swear I didn't pay this last time.

Thanks in advance :knit:P.S I love to knit x

enfys
February 20th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I don't pay anyone; I use Feye's method, which is now in the article section here.

If you want just a simple, blunt trim a lot of members have had success with visiting barbers rather than women's salons.
According to DH that is almost always under £8 or so. A two figure barber cut would be very fancy indeed!

Add on a few pounds for London and it's still a better deal!

Vorvolaka
February 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM
£20 for a trim (not a full wash and dry, just a wet cut) at a salon aimed maily at women, £5 for the local barber to to it. As enfys said, the barbers are often a lot cheaper, so it's always worth an ask.

Rapunzel-London
February 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Thank you,

I will try the local Barbar's this week and see what they say.

Speckla
February 20th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I usually end up having to pay the price for a full cut because I have long curly hair. :( I do my own trims now.

daaisychains
February 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I always get my hair cut dry and it's always under £20. My salon is pretty fancy too!

RocketDog
February 20th, 2011, 02:33 PM
A haircut is $40 including wash and style, but I get the 'friends and family' price. The salon where my stylist works right now is a very high-end Aveda place, and I believe he charges $60+ for the same service for regular clients, and few of them have hair past BSL. I haven't been in for a haircut since last July, I've just done little trims at home using the Faye method, but I do plan to go in around May for a 'real' haircut just so he can clean up the hemline and tidy up some of the shorter layers around my face, plus I like having him blowdry and flatiron it so I can enjoy it down for the day, something that NEVER gets done otherwise since I'm not as skilled as he is.

Taur5684
February 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I would think the particular salon you go to really influences the price - there's a nice salon near where I live that charges anywhere from $30 to $50, depending on which stylist you work with, but there's another salon that gives nice cuts for $10. The difference is one gives the feeling of a high-fashion stylist and the other is more like a "family cuts" kind of place. You need to decide on what you're looking for and shop around :-)

Although I never considered barbershops...I assumed they just didn't work with women, although now that seems silly. I'll look into that next time I need a trim!

Lemur_Catta
February 20th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Where I live, wash+cut-blow dry can be anything from 15 euros to 40 euros. I usually trim my own hair, so I don't really know much...but most stylists for example will give you a fringe (or trim it) for free (if you wash and blow dry at least, I mean xD)
I have never asked for a wet cut.

IcarusBride
February 20th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I also suggest looking into self-trims, anything beyond BSL, maybe even APL, is quite easy to do yourself.

akilina
February 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM
nothing, i get it done at school hehe

UltraBella
February 20th, 2011, 03:18 PM
If I want a full cut here it is $24-$30 but several of the gals will just do a basic trim for $15.

sunnyhope
February 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM
i will recomend everyone to have their hair cut wet, it is so much easier getting it nice and straight. it is just a lot better and cant be compared with dry cut.

i payed 20 pounds with a wash and blowdry last time in september, i had a hairdresser friend cutting it a few weeks ago and next time i do it myself as she cut tooooooooooo much.
i will rather go pay that 20 pounds and get it the way i want to be honest but every other time i m perfectly happy doing it myself as i want very little off and i am a hairdresser so atleast i know what i m doing......

islandboo
February 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I go to the local family cuts place and pay $13 to have it trimmed up.

DuckyDot
February 20th, 2011, 04:34 PM
£40 - ugh. But i'm trimming my own hair (or my mum can do it) from now on. :D

Fiordiligi
February 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Unfortunately that does sound a plausible price for London. But I would assume that that would include a full wash and blow dry too. Did you try asking for a dry trim? I suppose it will vary with the area, but even the very untrendy hairdresser on my not too posh suburban West London high street charges nearly £40 these days. :( That is why I have started self trimming.

moomoo
February 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Zip -- I cut, trim, and color my own hair. I don't think I've paid to have someone trim or cut my hair in at least 5 or 6 years. The most I've cut off myself is about 6 inches, but my sister has cut off about 12 inches (big chop when I donated my hair). It's never been tragic. I have fewer problems cutting my own hair than paying someone else to do it. I just can't fathom paying $30 anymore to go home upset.

Copasetic
February 20th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Thats definitely the going rate for a trim when you have "long" hair, which for a salon, means anything past your shoulders. Thats why I haven't had a professional trim in ages!

aberbeth
February 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM
The lady I get my hair done at charges $25 and she does a good job.

Tia2010
February 20th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Usually I pay $45 plus tip but I went to a new salon for my last trim ( because I couldn't get to my usual one and a lot of people I know go to this one so I tried it) and I only paid $25 including tip and she did a great job and listened to what I wanted ! So now I will be going to her for my trims ....so $25 :D

Chamomile betty
February 20th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I go to a barber. She charges me $1 for my bangs only and $7 for a dusting and bangs. Good deal I think. I tip her a few dollars also.

UltraBella
February 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
i will recomend everyone to have their hair cut wet, it is so much easier getting it nice and straight. it is just a lot better and cant be compared with dry cut.

i payed 20 pounds with a wash and blowdry last time in september, i had a hairdresser friend cutting it a few weeks ago and next time i do it myself as she cut tooooooooooo much.
i will rather go pay that 20 pounds and get it the way i want to be honest but every other time i m perfectly happy doing it myself as i want very little off and i am a hairdresser so atleast i know what i m doing......

I respectfully disagree with the suggestion to only have your hair trimmed when wet. I think it depends on the individual head of hair and the skill of the stylist. We do plenty of dry cutting in my salon and for some clients it's the best choice. If someone has long hair and only wants a small trim, there is no reason they shouldn't have it trimmed dry if they would like. There is also no reason for a good stylist to have a hard time getting a minimal trim nice and straight on dry hair.

patienceneeded
February 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I go to "nice" salons and pay about $35 to $50 for a trim, depending on where I go.

Deborah
February 21st, 2011, 12:09 AM
Not even one penny.

At waist length, with mostly straight hair, cut all one length (that's what it looks like you have) doing your own cuts would be a breeze.

I'm not 'good with hair.' I can't even manage a French braid, even after lo these many years with long hair. If I can successfully cut my own hair, with Feye's method, honestly, anyone can.

dorsetlady
February 21st, 2011, 12:17 AM
The most I've ever paid for a hair cut is £11. I wouldn't dream of paying more! I always go to the cheap little hairdressers. The type that cater mainly for old ladies! I haven't had a trim for 7 months but when I do I'll go to my £11 hairdresser!

dorsetlady
February 21st, 2011, 12:19 AM
BTW, Chamomile Betty, your hair is gorgeous! :)

Mesmerise
February 21st, 2011, 12:24 AM
I feel ripped off paying $26AUD for a trim cause it seriously takes them 5 minutes :rolleyes: but I usually just go to the Just Cuts salon and it's essentially one price for whatever you get (you'd pay the same for a more complex styled cut)... I need to find somewhere where I can pay a small amount for a trim... on my hair, that's super thin at the moment, it's really a quick job.

Although...I'm thinking of just using Feye's method next time... I'm just not sure how to move the hair elastic to the bottom of my hair so that it's even??!

ScarlettAdelle
February 21st, 2011, 12:24 AM
Unfortunately, a trim IS a cut. Even if she's only taking 1/2 cm off, she's still using her expertise and time to perform that service.

On the other hand, I agree, cuts are expensive.

Mesmerise
February 21st, 2011, 12:26 AM
Unfortunately, a trim IS a cut. Even if she's only taking 1/2 cm off, she's still using her expertise and time to perform that service.

On the other hand, I agree, cuts are expensive.

I realise that the hairdresser has much more experience than me, but *I* can easily perform a trim on someone else's hair, while I definitely couldn't do a style cut. There's a huge difference in the time needed to do a quick trim on someone with hair that's all the one length, than the time needed to do a style cut!

GRU
February 21st, 2011, 07:14 AM

I'm with UltraBella on this one -- curly hair that is cut while wet shrinks up WAY TOO HIGH when it's dry.

I've been cutting my own hair for probably about 3-4 years now (mainly just S&D off the damage), but I think my stylist (who is AWESOME and knows how to cut curly hair AND only takes off EXACTLY how much you want taken off!) charges about $15 for a cut; bangs/fringe only is probably around $7.

I've never understood the concept of a $200+ haircut... it always blows my mind when I hear how much the "big fancy salons" charge!

Sunsailing
February 21st, 2011, 07:32 AM
i will recomend everyone to have their hair cut wet, it is so much easier getting it nice and straight. it is just a lot better and cant be compared with dry cut..

GM salons cut your dry. It is very nice and straight.

When you cut it wet, it's difficult to compensate for the differences in texture throughout.

Ashenputtel
February 21st, 2011, 08:04 AM
I'm in Montreal and I go to one of the best salons of the town and I pay 75$ plus tip. But as much as I LOVE my stylist I'm gonna have to cut this. It's really expensive. I'll probably take the same girl I was using to color to do the cut. Especially for getting rid of layers.

battles
February 21st, 2011, 08:23 AM
Usually $15 for a trim, $25 for a cut.

Angeletti
February 21st, 2011, 08:25 AM
I don't go to salons to get my hair cut because I simply don't trust anyone with my hair but myself nowadays, but when I went three years ago I want to say it was under $20. Anywhere from $15 to $25 seems to be the average for a cut around here.

owlathena
February 21st, 2011, 09:11 AM
Around here, for a cheap cut/trim its about $15 plus a $5 tip. For a fancy salon cut its about $40, plus a $10(or so) tip. For the past couple years, I've been doing my own trims and going to the salon just once a year-mostly just as a pick-me-up when I feel like treating myself, or if I want to add some layers.

Twarg
February 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM
Around my parts it's usually between 30-40 dollars(AUD) for a womens' trim. Yikes, I know.

lapushka
February 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
Frankly, I don't see why a trim should cost as much as having a style cut into it. A salon that maintains a different price setting for trims, bangs, and styles, is worth its weight in gold. I think prices here are around € 40-50.

I have my hair cut at home. When it gets to be a certain length, having it washed at a salon is not easy (not for you, nor for the person washing it), nor is having it combed out. All the stylists I've been to so far rip through your hair with a fine tooth comb. Too bad that you have wavy hair and too bad there's tangles. The one stylist I met in my whole entire life that actually used a wide tooth comb for detangling first literally blew me away.

mira-chan
February 21st, 2011, 09:47 AM
I don't pay a thing becuase my mother does it but mum gets hers trimmed for a bout $20 -30.