PDA

View Full Version : How do you put in one of these combs so it holds tightly?

JKRBeloved
June 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I'm trying to find a way to hold my hair back from my face, that doesn't involve always pulling it back in a half-up do where the fastener is always putting stress on the hair. Can someone tell me how to put in this type of hair comb along the sides of my face, sort of above the ears, so it holds securely? I've tried so many times and it just doesn't hold. What am I doing wrong?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/JKRBeloved/Combs.jpg

Deborah
June 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Is your hair silky? You are probably not doing anything wrong. I can put this type of comb in and it will look just great, but in just a few moments out it pops. Some folks backcomb or spray the hair in question with a little hairspray. Maybe that would work but I never backcomb or spray; I think they are both bad for hair. If you like either of those in general, maybe they would help you now.

Good luck! :)

Hey, I just had an idea. What if you held the hair back with a snap clip or small barrette, then insert the combs just below the clip, letting the top of the comb cover the clip. Maybe together they would do the job. Or maybe that's a hare-brained idea. :rolleyes: Anyway I hope you find a good solution. :flower:

Wind Dragon
June 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Comb the hair back from the forehead with the comb with it tilted forward (so that you're sort of pushing the comb tines-first back along your scalp, and the decorative edge is angled forward, toward your forehead,) until the points get to just a little bit further back than where you want the edge to show. Then, keeping the tines against your head, flip it back so that the comb is now right-side up and almost flat against your head. Reach around with your other hand and hold the hair that you've combed up and back behind the comb, then push the comb forward to lock it in place. Repeat on other side.

Dang, that took so much longer to try to describe than it takes to do. Did it make any sense at all?

I use the wire kind myself, though not often; no matter how well I get them locked into place, eventually they slip and I have to redo them. Not for active or windy days, those things. Maybe the plastic ones would actually hold better, I don't know. I don't for the life of me remember why I don't like them. :ponder:

peacecat3
June 11th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Yeah, what WindDragon said. The tines will end up pointing forward, towards your face, not back. Took me quite a while to figure that one out. It's a nice look, though. Very 1940's. I like using the metal combs myself.

Gilly
June 11th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I tried doing this a while back and the ripping sounds I got when I put them in scared the hell out of me!!
Does anyone know where I can get smooth ones that won't snag?

Medvssa
June 11th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Gilly, France Luxe :)

Wind Dragon explained it very well!!

morgwn
June 11th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Gilly, France Luxe :)

I second that! I just got a France Luxe comb and I'll never go back to the others! (Well, maybe slightly exagerating, but still.... :)) They're so much nicer to my hair without any ripping and the one I've got now held my hair perfectly in the french twist I did earlier this week.

Mitzy
June 11th, 2008, 04:15 AM
That is the way my granny taught me to put in combs.
Another thing that works well, if you have slippery hair or wispies, is to put in the comb where you want it to be and then place a bobby pin parallel to the teeth to give it something to grip onto.
Bobby pin, not the u-shaped hair pins. A little aloe vera gel is good, too, for wispies.

Riot Crrl
June 11th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Or: twist the hair back so that you have a little twist going back behind your ear. Then position the comb so that the decoration is toward the back of your head and the tines are toward your face. Shove it forward into the twist, trying to weave it a little to grab both some scalp hair and some twist hair.

Wow, your hair is pretty. I can't wait until mine all looks like yours. I will grow out all the henna!

FrannyG
June 11th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Wind Dragon and Riot Crrl gave you very good instructions. At the same time, I have found that there are some combs that just won't stay in my slippery hair at all. If you follow the instructions above, but the combs still pop out, perhaps they're just not for you. They really are lovely though, so I hope that you can get them to work! :)

betsala
June 11th, 2008, 07:04 AM
i'm so glad that you asked this question! i was given some lovely combs last year and i haven't been able to make them work. now i will try again!

frizzinator
June 11th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I agree with all the posters, however, I'll put it in my own words: twist the hair, insert the comb upside down, flip it, and push in (prongs toward your face).

JKRBeloved
June 11th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Wow, thank you so much for all your help. You have given me great word pictures for how to do it. I did have an older lady try to teach me a while back, but I just didn't get it. She was actually showing me just what you have taught me here, but I forget so easily if I don't have the WORDS to refer back to, which y'all have given me. Thanks! (and thank you Riot Crrl, for your kind compliment).

chelles2kids
June 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM
The best way is to take the comb, right side up and then flip it back and catch some hair and slide it in.

Almost similar to putting in a hairstick.

But depending on your hair type, they may still slide out.
I've never been able to get them to stay in my hair without bugging me.

Good luck!

Michelle

Deborah
June 12th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Oops, sorry. I thought you knew how to put them in, but just could not get them to STAY in. Now I realize that you just did not know how they are generally used.

I put them in properly, but they simply will not stay in. I have slippery hair, so maybe that is my problem.

tiny_teesha
June 12th, 2008, 02:45 AM
i love that look on me, it adds width to balance out my face shape- but don't do this with even mildy oily hair- only works on fresh hair or else you look really greasy and wrong :(

Velvettt
June 12th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Using the technique described already, just before you slide the comb in, put a dab of gel or a spritz of hairspray onto the hair where the comb will be. Slide the comb into place and hold it for a moment till the gel/spray/whatever dries. You may need to wet it with warm water later to get the comb out!