PDA

View Full Version : For those at hip length...

BeachBabe91
February 20th, 2011, 08:02 AM
How long did it personally take you to grow from say, APL/BSL to hip? With, or without trims?
I am growing from upper BSL, to hip! I know it's going to be a long journey. :)

ghilliegirl_an
February 20th, 2011, 10:46 AM
It took me about 2 maybe 2 1/2 years to grow out from bsl to hip but that was while heat styling it everyday and probably losing length because of that, everyone's hair grows at a different rate but I think the average is like 6 inches per year but I could be totally off. Also that measurement was without any trims whatsoever.

Kaijah
February 20th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I went from the bottom of BSL to hip in... somewhere between a year, and a year and two months. I wasn't paying very close attention to my length gain at the time, because that seemed to make everything go faster. :D ETA: That was when wet and straight, by the way. It took a while longer to show when dry, in full curly mode.

That was with no real trimming, just some S&D. No heat styling, but I did CWC every day. Updos/braids a lot of the time, but worn down whenever I felt like it.

ladylovecraft
February 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Wow, only a year to two years (averageish guessing between you two)... that's awesome! I'm almost to BSL myself, and my goal is hip. It would be AMAZING to be there in just a year or two!

Nae
February 20th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Well, if you figure the average is about 6 inches a year then you should be able to get a pretty close estimate of how far you have to go. I would assume (speaking from a pretty tall perspective) that much of it depends on your height.

RadiantNeedle
February 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think it took me about a year and a half without trims.

Arctic_Mama
February 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Without trims? Maybe 18-24 months (I'm a shorty). But I did two decent sized (1 inch and then 3 inches off) trims and the condition looks much better for the rest of the journey. I'd say, with the trims, it will take me another year to get to hip (I'm at the lower end of waist).

UltraBella
February 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM
It took me about 13 months and I had two trims. I get at least an inch of growth each month, which I am very thankful for !

Avital88
February 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Because i had already 2 trims this year and lost at least 2inches im still at almost hip. If i hadnt trimmed i would have been there already. It took me over 2 years to get my hair from bsl to hip.
Mainly because i used to heatstyle a lot and also did a few trims and lost a total of 5inches at least with those.
I cant wait until i have thick trimmed ends at fully hip, Some months and i'm there.

Mesmerise
February 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
The biggest factor will be the speed of hair growth! While "average" hair grows about 1/2" a month, others have hair that grows 1" a month! What they can achieve in 6 months takes others a year ;)

If you can get a fairly accurate idea of the rate of your own hair growth, you'll be able to figure out relatively accurately how long it will take you to get to hip. Also factor in if you plan to get any trims in that time.

I am currently a bit past BSL and on my way to hip myself... it's about 6" now for me (I'm a shorty lol) but my hair isn't in the best condition so I'll probably pause at waist for a year or so...

joyellen
February 20th, 2011, 05:58 PM
It took me a little over two years with a few trims. If I hadn't trimmed it probably would have taken less than two years.

IcarusBride
February 20th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Let's see... I'm not hip yet but 3 inches or less away. I grew from (somewhere in between APL and BSL) to Waist in 1 year and am expecting to be at hip or beyond, hopefully on my way to TB this time next year.
Good luck!

HintOfMint
February 20th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I was about two and a half inches below BSL in July when flat ironed straight and I am now within an inch of hip when straight.

darklion
February 21st, 2011, 01:44 AM
I'm a 1 inch per month grower. I just hit waist this month, so I'm expecting to be at hip in about 6 months.

Cupofmilk
February 21st, 2011, 02:40 AM
I am a slow grower - I went from Bottom BSL to nearly HIP when wet in a year. Bottom BSL on me is quite low and not far from waist which is why it may not have taken that long. Dry I think it's going to be 18 months.

Lianna
February 21st, 2011, 05:53 AM
Could people share their heights too? :) That to me is the biggest factor. Sharing a little bit of their routine, as in, no heat/updos or whatever, is good too.

Cupofmilk
February 21st, 2011, 05:59 AM
I am 5'10 - but I am normal height in the top half if that makes sense. I only wear extra long jeans but I don't need tall girl tops.
My routine is always keeping hair up everyday apart from say 4 times a year. Lots of oiling, conditioner only on the lengths - I have a scalp issue that means I have to wash my scalp with special shampoo.
I am takingMSM, alfalfa and a high potency multi-vitamin - all are high quality. I am experimenting with monsitat and neem oil. I am also looking into other oils. I did try the movie star shampoo but my ends didn't like it.

Fiferstone
February 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
It definitely took at least 2 years, including the annual "trims." I have very slow-growing, fine hair.