PDA

View Full Version : Tried AVC Rinse

KellyGormley
February 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM
So I washed my hair this morning with a shampoo and aloe mix, and then did an AVC. My hair feels great, and looks super shiny.So it feel healthy but it's frizzy, and tangled looking and I have millions of fly aways and it looks very messy, wirey, and untamed and the ends look very dry and unhealthy. How can I fix this problem ?

DTsgirl
February 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
ACV doesn't make my hair nice. I was using a 1:6 ACV : water ratio and after a couple weeks I quit. My hair was no shinier and it was drier. Not a lot, but enough. It just isn't for everyone.

allnaturalboy
February 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Well, maybe your dilution is too high for your hair? Try diluting it less. I still use conditioner with an ACV rinse if I want to do one. I shampoo, condition, ACV rinse. Why don't you try doing that?

Shermie Girl
February 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I gave vinegar a fair try but it just freaks my hair out. I tried white, ACV, rice, wine... No joy.

Now, when I walk through the supermarket, as soon as my hair smells the vinegar isle, it starts whimpering and crying and it's fight or flight instinct kicks in.

DTsgirl is right, vinegar isn't for everyone. If your hair doesn't like it, there are plenty of other things you can use to condition and add shine. :D

KellyGormley
February 19th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Oh no. Maybe i was confusing. My hair feels like silk, and its soo shiny. Its never felt so healthy, its just I was wondering what I could do to control the frizz and make my hair look calm.

DTsgirl
February 19th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Oh. :o Sorry. Aloe vera gel? Little bit combed through while damp? Works for me!

RadiantNeedle
February 19th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Some people use citric aid instead. I use it now and then when I don't want any trace of avc scent in my hair.

Bluegrass Babe
February 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Oh no. Maybe i was confusing. My hair feels like silk, and its soo shiny. Its never felt so healthy, its just I was wondering what I could do to control the frizz and make my hair look calm.

Try adding some aloe vera gel to your hair after showering or to your rinse. Search HALO rinse - you would just use your ACV instead of lemon.

I just spray on some of kimberlily's defrizz spray after I towel dry. (I just leave out the glycerin - it attracts the humidity frizzies to my hair depending on the season.) That's easier for me than mixing up the HALO every shower.

ACV doesn't make my hair nice. I was using a 1:6 ACV : water ratio and after a couple weeks I quit. My hair was no shinier and it was drier. Not a lot, but enough. It just isn't for everyone.

shudder: Oh WOW! 1:6 is waaay too strong! That's almost straight vinegar. I read on here somewhere (or from someone - not sure who to credit) to mix 5ml ACV into 500ml of water - which I think is 1:100 ratio? Am I figuring that correctly, mathmaticians? Help me if that's wrong.

That's only a teaspoon to a pint (almost). If that is too weak, add a teaspoon at a time until the solution is right for your hair/water conditions. I think most people use up to a tablespoon unless they are making a huge batch.

Unless you live in a hard water area, the weakest solution is all that is needed to make the cuticle lay flat. Someone posted yesterday a hard water map. You can also google your location + hard water to find out about your area.

Try again and see how it goes. Hope that helps.

milagro
February 20th, 2011, 12:45 PM
My hair reacts like that to aloe, maybe yours despises it as well. I think trying one thing at a time is the best way, you will find exactly what your hair likes and what it hates.

DTsgirl
February 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Well, . . . . . I hate the smell too, so I don't forsee a lot of tweaking in my future.:o

Bluegrass Babe
February 21st, 2011, 11:38 AM
Thank goodness the smell fades away for me when my hair dries! For some it doesn't.

Kelly -
xoxophelia said in a different thread that ACV gave her hair too much body. Maybe that is the case with you. I think the aloe is what made your hair so soft. No matter how I use it, as a styling gel, added to conditioner or mister recipe, or in a deep treatment, it always makes my hair silky.

It was suggested that the ACV be used to dunk the ends to keep tangles away so then the length doesn't get too fluffy.

BTW - is the frizz issue only on wash day? My washday hair is pretty fluffy but the next three days it's very smooth... :hmm: I will have to try dunking the ends only.

What is the result if you skip ACV but keep the aloe?