PDA

View Full Version : If this were your hair......

whiteisle
June 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM
......would you trim along the way or just let it ride (provided it stays healthy)?

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/wcanderson/IMG_5017-1.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/wcanderson/IMG_5016-1.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/wcanderson/IMG_5026-1.jpg

purplebubba
June 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM
It's going to depend on what kind of hemline you want.
At the moment that will grow out into some sort of V or U because the top and sides have further to go to reach where the back is already reaching.

If you want a straight hemline then at some point you'll be cutting it straight. The question will be whether you do smaller trims along the way or wait and snip a lot off the back to even it out.

I had a cut like that and let it grow for about 18 months without a cut and then when I went to get a trim it was long but in order to even it up I lost a bunch in the back. I'd say I lost about 6 inches in back.

(Edit: I messed up, I got the trim after about 3 years not 18 months.)

Here's a diagram I drew a while back to show how it grows
Note that each strand is exactly the same number of - marks
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/purplebubba/Stuff/shgo2.gif

amaiaisabella
June 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Your hair looks pretty healthy, so I'd let it go to a certain point and then trim. Did the stylist use a razor on your ends? That could make a big difference in how it grows out. You would definitely need micro trims if your ends are razored, otherwise you run the risk of the mini mullet! :)

whiteisle
June 10th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Nope, no razor.....I don't think. The last time I had something done the girl went through the back mid-section and used thinning sissors to make it lay better but the bottom ends weren't touched by her. The time before her the bottom length was trimmed with just sissors.

OhioLisa
June 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I say let it ride until absolutely necessary. Your hair looks to be in fab condition. Very shiny. :sun: So yeah, unless you develop some strange mullet thing, I think you will be fine.

hurricane_gia
June 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I say let it ride until absolutely necessary. Your hair looks to be in fab condition. Very shiny. :sun: So yeah, unless you develop some strange mullet thing, I think you will be fine.

Seconded!

You look like you've already passed the dangerous mullet-zone, and now you can grow it out as a layered shag-style cut. Until such time, that is, as you decide to let your hemline thicken up.

Unless you especially want to change the shape of your hairstyle, or you have split ends that need to be removed, I say don't cut!! Let it grow.

It looks very healthy and shiny, BTW!

Anje
June 10th, 2008, 09:23 PM
If I were you I'd let it go at this point. Personally, if I decided I wanted it blunt, I'd wait til it was about to collarbone length, then keep trimming it back to that length until enough of it was there to go on.

purplebubba
June 10th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I messed up, I meant to say I waited almost 3 years to get the trim. 18 months is when my hair was long enough to tuck a ponytail up under a hat at work.
I was extremely grown out by then. That's why I lost 6 inches.

squiggyflop
June 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
i would just let it go.. i think it will grow out into a nice layered look

Kirin
June 10th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I'm dealing with the same thing ....... i'm letting it go with micro trims now and again (done by myself) and when I hit my first goal of BSL, i will take off only 1/4 my growth every three months or so until its evened out.

Dark Rosaleen
June 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'd say let it grow for a long while, and if you don't like how it's looking then have a small trim. The layers don't look bad at all.

Riot Crrl
June 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I think it looks pretty and healthy and shiny. You might want a trim in some months if the back ends are flipping up and bugging you, but I'd let it go until those are on your last nerve. Meantime, it might help to get to know some headbands, or a clip for the front part. HTH.

DecafJane
June 10th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I agree with everybody else - let it grow. :) It will get there faster if you stay away from the scissors for a while.
I guess it also depends on how often you plan to wear it down, and what kind of role you are in day-to-day. If it starts looking a bit shaggy and you are in a professional situation and don't want to tie it up, you may need a bit of a trim to tidy. However, I don't see any need to trim for a good while yet! :D

1nuitblanche
June 10th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I think it looks pretty right now, and I'd let it grow some more before trimming.

kwaniesiam
June 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Let it go, you can always even it up later if you decide you don't like it. Mine is longer than yours right now but I have a ton of layers that I'm just letting grow until they start to look funky. Enjoy the grow out :flower:

Joliebaby
June 11th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Let it go for now! I had a much bigger difference between lengths when I cut my pixie a year ago, I deliberately left longer neck hair, and I did end up trimming a little at some point when it all got longer, but for now I see no reason you should do anything! My hair has grown nicely layered and I actually like it that way. You hair looks so healthy, don't cut.. You may even really like what it grows into, soft layers and all. You can always trim later!!!

whiteisle
June 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Thank you everyone! Looks like the decision is to grow, grow, grow!:D It really doesn't bother me right now other than it not looking like a deliberate style, but hey, I can live with that in order to gain some length.

Thanks again for all your help!

Silver Strands
June 11th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I am trimming as I go depending on how scruffy it looks.

When I take a picture and it looks like I have the mullet
going on, i'll trim a layer or 2 off.

With straighter hair like ours every layer can look choppy
as it's growing out.
People with wavy or curly hair looks like it all flows together.
KWIM?

Anyhow, i'd take it 1 month at a time and don't hold yourself
to anything.
I swore I wouldn't cut until I reached collarbone (which i'm at now)
but I trimmed quite a few times before I got here and felt guilty for
doing it.

I can't take the choppy mullet look on me.

Good Luck, know you're not alone and you have very pretty hair.

FrannyG
June 11th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I know that I'm late in responding and you've already made your decision, but I'll throw in my support too.

You've got a good shape going on there, and I think you can let it ride for a good long while. When it's time for a tiny trim, you'll know it, because you'll see it.

You're really off to a good start! :)

Lady Godiva
June 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Whiteisle, you have gorgeous hair. It's growing out nicely already, so I'd let it keep doing that for quite a while, maybe until the longest lengths reach your shoulder blades or BSL and then start micro-trimming (.25") every month until it's even. When your bangs drive you nuts, clip them back on the sides. :grin:

Tap Dancer
June 11th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I'd just leave it alone and let it grow. That's what I'm doing and I love the layers. You can always trim the layers away when it gets longer if you don't want them.

paper
June 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I would let it grow. Your hair is in good shape and not layered that much. Maybe when you get to certain point you could start trimming off the layers if you dont like them. Good luck!

chelles2kids
June 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Defiantely let it grow.

You have some really looking hair there and if it's length your after, then let it grow.

Maybe after the sides get on down to your neck, then I might consider a verrrry small trim, IF and only IF you ultimately want a blunt hemline.
If you going for fairytale ends, then don't touch it for a few years time.

Excellent shine too.:wink:

Michelle

Cichelle
June 11th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I vote just let it grow.

I cut the relaxed ends off of my hair and was left with a rather short layered cut. It is just about three years later and I haven't yet trimmed. However, I realize if I wanted to trim it all one length I would loose many inches off the bottom. I have chosen to let it grow probably another year when the longest layer will be beyond tailbone when stretched. I'll start trimming very slowly then and eventually have hair that has less layers. I don't think I ever want it all one length. I like a u or v shaped hemline.

talula_fairie
June 11th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I would trim all the way until it got to one even length.

I'll do anything to avoid a mullet.

whiteisle
June 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Thank you all for the additional support and compliments!:o:) I'm really trying hard to take care of my hair this time - your kind words mean alot!