PDA

View Full Version : Tips for "true" hairtyping?

smrider
February 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else (I am a little overwhelmed by the size of LHC :o) but I am going through a hair identity crisis :D. I spent most of my life thinking I was a 1a... because I have been having my hair either blown straight or combed while wet since I had hair.

Today after some diluted Dr. Bronner's and a vinegar rinse and not combing through and blow drying...waves are forming! I am quite shocked to discover I might be a 2a or possibly even 2a/2b! I am delighted but also have no idea how to treat my hair now. I always thought I NEEDED to blow dry and occasionally use a straightener because my hair was just... unruly otherwise and not wavy enough to look nice. I may be able to give up heat straightening after all!

So, a few questions...
-Is there anything else I might be doing that would be "masking" my hair true texture? I lightly fingercombed it after I washed it because it was quite tangled. Otherwise I tried to leave it totally alone.
-Is there any way to avoid the inherent frizziness of just letting hair air-dry?
-For those wavy sisters, what can I do to encourage my hair to be even wavier other than damp-bunning/braiding?

Thanks for any tips!

krissykins
February 19th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Well, you already clarified, but there could be mineral buildup. Do you have hard water by chance?

smrider
February 19th, 2011, 12:00 PM
No, if anything our water is a little soft. PH is about 6-6.5.

krissykins
February 19th, 2011, 12:12 PM
All right, I don't think you have to worry about that hiding your natural hair texture :) I'm more of a wurly/curly than a wavy, but I do find that a little bit of jojoba oil and aloe vera gel helps tame the frizzies!