PDA

View Full Version : Creating layers by yourself?

vanamo
February 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
First of all. I think this is my first thread starter (if you don't count the intriduction one).

I have been thinking of hair self styling and I'd like to hear your opinions about something.

I've been trimming my own hair for about a year now and Í've been wondering about creating layers. I have this idea:

"Comb all yor hair (head upside down) on the top of your head and secure it with a elastic (i use terry cloth kind). Put another one near the shortest ends and cut. Of course one needs to have some lenght to do this properly."

I would like to have your opinions how this would work? I would love to have some layers and this could be a way to easily maintain them (to trim the shortest hairs also).

enfys
February 19th, 2011, 08:18 AM
This method is called compact cutting, and it reported to be very effective. The angle you pull from decides where the layers start. A ponytail at the forehead would produce shorter shortest layers than ifit was at the top of your head.

I haven't tried it myself.

This thread has pics: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57254&highlight=layers

ravenreed
February 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I used this method for quite a while and loved it. I recently bought a CreaClip (http://www.creaclip.com/) because I have short arms and tb length hair and was having trouble getting the scrunchy all the way to the end of my pony to cut. So I do it a little differently now, but only because I outgrew the old method.

sunnyhope
February 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM
tht will work, even from a hairdressrs wiew he he, if you use a hairband to gather the hair and put it about where the fringe will be then you will create good layers. just dont cut to much at the time...................

PrincessTieflin
February 19th, 2011, 09:38 AM
What I do is flip my head upside down, and bend a bit, smooth it out.. and trim along the bottom.. (I REALLY hope I am making sense) That way you only get long layers, can always go shorter if you want :)

Then I just frame the sides to blend it in.

I used this method a lot when I was a stylist.. works wonders on uber long hair.

I f I am not clear please let me know ;)

hennared
February 20th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I second the Creaclip.. I LOVE that thing!

vanamo
March 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Ok. Now i've tried it. And it worked quite well :) My hair was so heavy before (my individual hairs are very thin, but i have A LOT of them, so the gravity pulls my hair effectively), but now i feel much more comfortable. Of course the result is not perfect, but for me it is great. At least no one has commneted it looks bad or uneven. I did a pretty good job.

This is so awesome, because I'm a student and I need to save money. Now I save a bundle and can look nice too :) I've been also growing my natural colour for few years now (after ten years of colouring) and i love my natural colour (it is the usual Finnish colour: light brown and it looks sandy brown/beach kind-of-blonde in my opinion), so i'm saving the dyeing costs too.

Thank you for those who gave me advise about layering!!

spidermom
March 4th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I've used this method to get rid of my most damaged hairs and create long layers. It worked.

BusyBeeMommy
March 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I was just discussing this method with my gf yesterday. We were all looking through old pictures and there was one (below) where she said "Your hair looks awesome there!" and I told her my husband cut my hair for me using this exact method because I didn't want to spend the $15+ to get it done at the salon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/wildcrazyness/100_4819.jpg