PDA

View Full Version : The BIG dilemma

simplysnuggle
February 18th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Ok so after my 3 inch trim last month I am currently at 32 inches!! I'm only 8 inches away from what I set my goal at last year in march. It's crazy to think how I've grown 12 inches in a year! :cheer:(and that's not including like 4 trims that I've had)

anyways long story short.... I'm gonna chop it all off!!!.. Now before you freak out and try to talk me out of it I've already decided to donate so don't even try. The true dilemma is how to do it and what cut should I get? As always any and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks !!!:bounce:

update: I'm going to research charities to donate to

Cirafly24
February 18th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Oh! Well, I won't try to talk you out of it, but I will ask: what led you to make this decision?

How short are you planning to go?

ETA: Holy wow, 12 inches in one year?! That's incredible...even if you cut 2 feet off you'll only have to wait 2 years to grow it back ;)

CarpeDM
February 18th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I'm a big fan of the classic bob...

McFearless
February 18th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Congrats on your growth. That is a lot of hair in a short amount of time. I don't know much about Locks of Love but folks on here have a very low opinion of them. Have you looked into other organizations?

CurlAhead
February 18th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Very brave of you! Hmm, maybe some sort of longer bob? A blogger whose blog I read cut her hair in something like this: http://static2.devote.se/gallery/big/20100702/29df16c1dd16c3b184ad53b27ba1e066.jpg

I thought it was pretty cool, but mostly because she showed this updo later:
http://static2.devote.se/gallery/big/20101222/e373a16543bc0a0e6201ad483e801c14.jpg

http://static2.devote.se/gallery/big/20101222/23c4760dca75eb9aba9c5c36f192364e.jpg

Oh, how I wish I could make that updo with my hair! However, good luck! :cheese:
(And btw, if you don't mind if I ask, how did you make it grow so fast? Or are you just one of the lucky ones whose hair grows in rocket speed? :D)

simplysnuggle
February 18th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Basically I've never had it shorter than APL at least not since I was like 3. Anyways I decided after I truly realized how freaking fast it grows. I want to share my hair with those who can't grow, and like you said
..even if you cut 2 feet off you'll only have to wait 2 years to grow it back ;)

I haven't decided yet how much. I will have to at least be able to pull it up out of my face, other than that I'm open to suggestions.

simplysnuggle
February 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Congrats on your growth. That is a lot of hair in a short amount of time. I don't know much about Locks of Love but folks on here have a very low opinion of them. Have you looked into other organizations?

I donated to them about 10 years ago. To be honest I'm not familiar with any others.

lyria
February 18th, 2011, 08:43 PM

I just wanted to second this. You have very impressive growth, that's awesome! Donating is a great idea, but I think there are a couple of options and you might want to research a bit before committing to Locks of Love.

simplysnuggle
February 18th, 2011, 08:45 PM
(And btw, if you don't mind if I ask, how did you make it grow so fast? Or are you just one of the lucky ones whose hair grows in rocket speed? :D)

I CWC and use coconut oil other than that I'm just lucky :oops:

skydancer7
February 18th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I've heard much better things about Pantene's "Great Lenghts", you could check that out

CurlAhead
February 18th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I CWC and use coconut oil other than that I'm just lucky :oops:

What is CWC and do you put the coconut oil at the scalp? Is it virgin oil?
However, are you planning do donate you hair several times? It's pretty cool, wish I could donate some hair but I don't think anyone would have any benefits from it! :p

simplysnuggle
February 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM
What is CWC and do you put the coconut oil at the scalp? Is it virgin oil?
However, are you planning do donate you hair several times? It's pretty cool, wish I could donate some hair but I don't think anyone would have any benefits from it! :p

CWC = Condition wash condition. I oil everything and pigtail braid it and let it soak in over night and wash out in the morning. It's organic coconut oil that I get from the grocery store. I know I will donate again in the future but I will let it grow again first.

ericthegreat
February 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM
No one here will not stop you from deciding to donate it to Locks of Love. Its your own hair and you are entitled to that decision. However I should warn you that especially around this board, Locks of Love has an extremely BAD reputation.

For one, the ruse that they use to pull on your heart strings, the "giving poor kids with cancer wigs" is pretty much completely false. What they really do is sell wigs on a sliding scale to patients suffering from alopecia (hairloss). Those patients can be full grown adults buying the wigs for themselves as well as parents buying for their children. They actually don't normally sell their wigs to children with cancer, but this is exactly what they claim to do on a regular basis in order to convince people to cut their hair and donate to them. This organization also gets wayyyy more ponytail donations that are sent to them than the amount of wigs that they produce. It is widely believed that they often sell off the hair that they do not make into wigs themselves to hair extension companies and other wig makers for a PROFIT, which they aren't supposed to do as a supposed non-profit organization.

Again, no one will stop you if you decide to donate. But you should know the truth about Locks of Love before you make that decision.

simplysnuggle
February 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM
That looks awesome CurlAhead But I'm not sure if I could pull it off... I'm kind of a nerd.

ericthegreat
February 18th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I found this article about Locks of Love that you might want to read before doing anything. Here's the link: http://www.paganspace.net/forum/topics/the-hairy-truth-about-locks-of

simplysnuggle
February 18th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I found this article about Locks of Love that you might want to read before doing anything. Here's the link: http://www.paganspace.net/forum/topics/the-hairy-truth-about-locks-of

I'm gonna do some research... I wasn't aware of issues with them. I'm set on donating not WHO I'm donating to. Thanks for the link.