PDA

View Full Version : 80's hair? OMG!

lyria
February 18th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I am watching Degrassi High on Hulu, and there is one character who hair is so bleached and straightened and gelled that it literally stands six inches above her head and never moves! I feel lucky to have been born too late to get caught up in that kind of trend! Did anyone here ever have 80's hair? Anyone have fun pictures? :)

ETA: here's a link for a photo I found of "Spike" for those who are curious. The great thing is that while her hair looks sort of like a soft feathery halo, it is harder than cement! There are scenes with other characters where you can tell it's breezy out and Spike's hair doesn't move at all! http://****yeahdegrassi.tumblr.com/post/1271717926/look-at-spike-and-egg-emma

silverjen
February 18th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Yup, I had 80s hair. There's no way I'm sharing those pictures! Waaaaay too embarrassing. I will confess that for a while I rocked a rat tail. Like i said, embarrassing.

lyria
February 18th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hehe nice! A friend of mine had a rat tail. He was 8 at the time and may have been slightly precocious!

jenjen10
February 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I had "mall bangs".... they probably were about 5-6" high and then I had the side "wings" going on too! LOL I won't post pics though... some things are best forgotten!

Anywhere
February 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I had kind of "natural" 80's hair, its part of the reason I grew my hair out. It was super curly at its shorter length, bleached from 5th-7th grade, and was brushed to a puffy, disgusting mess. Pictures of it look terrible.

lyria
February 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I had "mall bangs".... they probably were about 5-6" high and then I had the side "wings" going on too! LOL I won't post pics though... some things are best forgotten!

Are "mall bangs" bangs styled to stand up?

scorpio_rising
February 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM
All my friends had insane hair in the 80s. I just had long, natural hair. Hooray for transcending trends!

GeoJ
February 18th, 2011, 08:39 PM

LOL, I had that, too! But my hair always defied the curling iron and hairspray- it would flop and loose it's volume after a couple of hours. Funny, I was so upset about that at the time. :)

I still have a couple of pictures of it, but they aren't on my computer at this time.

CarpeDM
February 18th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I had those bangs that looked like they hit a cement wall, high up and stiff, ah the 80's...

skydancer7
February 18th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Oh come on, no pictures? Heehee...
My excuse is that I was a young kid in the 80's; I had a perm when I was 8 years old, which turned straight again within a few days.

littlenvy
February 18th, 2011, 08:55 PM
LOL!! I think I 'lost' all the pictures the last few times I moved ;);)

But Yeah! I do remember the hairsprayed permed hair and I remember the women's bathrooms that were sooooo thick with hairspray you could not breathe! And your eyelashes would stick together :p:p

Tia2010
February 18th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Yes I will admit to rockin' 80's hair :D Bleached , long , teased to hell , sprayed with massive amounts of hairspray and just FUN! Would I do it now..NO ! but hey it was the 80's we all looked a little weird. :p

SheaLynne
February 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hmmm...I would have to go find the pic on a backup CD or take one out of a frame and scan it...

Mostly I had permed hair and curly, teased/poofy bangs. I was a teen right through the 80s, and while I've never been one to follow the trends to the extremes, I would never be ashamed of how I wore my hair. I never had what I would call a bad perm, though there was damage and today I know better.

We tend to laugh at what came before our time because it seems old-fashioned...we laughed through the 80s at the afro-style hairdos and bell-bottoms of the 70s, but once those styles come back around, we realize things come and go...and when you live through a time period, you are a part of it. I still can't laugh at what everyone calls mullets now...that's what all the really cute boys wore when we were teens...many even permed the longer back part of their hair...my dh had naturally curly hair, and his looked great! (He doesn't wear it like that today, but when it was in style, who's laughing??) And, btw, I never heard the term mullet until the last 5 years. :shrug:

With that said, I still think my face looks best framed by fuller hair, but I'm finally adjusting to less volume...just about the time the other will come back into fashion!

I'm digging for pictures, but not making promises...

SheaLynne
February 19th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Ok, here's one of the better shots of my permed, poofy hair. Actually taken in Sept 1991. This was our engagement picture.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=96416&albumid=4802&dl=1298098838&thumb=2

terrylillyd
February 19th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I remember that character, I think her name was "Spike" :) lol

milagro
February 19th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I didn't, I was too young then and my parents would sure soak my head in bath immediately if I'd ever attempt it, but I remember older girls at school ALL had a bizarre crown lift and the front section of hair standing literally above the forehead and sometimes temple area like 3 inches high :D It was so gelled and hair-sprayed no hurricane could shake this construction. I thought it was cool and ugly at the same time.

alwayssmiling
February 19th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Whenever I think of the 80's I always remember the tight perms (on both men and women), wet look gel and lots and lots of hairspray. We would buy huge tins of the stuff. My mum would pretend to choke when she came into our room.

Sun-in was popular in the eighties as was coloured mousse and gel. High volumous hair was the fashion, straight flat and sleek would have been seen as very frumpy back then.

rags
February 19th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I had 80's hair. I was a teen/early 20's back then (well during the first part of the 80's anyways!). I had the mall bangs and the very tight spiral perm and teased, teased, teased! Enough hairspray that I'm surprised we didn't asphyxiate ourselves! And even with the perm, and the teasing, and the hairspray, my hair would fall flat within half a day. (and my perms would always fall out within a very short time). I remember being soooo upset over it too! :p

NouvelleNymphe2
February 19th, 2011, 07:59 AM
SheaLynne, hehee, that is so cute awww!

lyria
February 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM
This is great! Thanks everyone for sharing :) SheaLynne your photo is lovely (hair and all!) thank you for posting it! :flower:

lapushka
February 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Sun-in, hairspray, sculpted hair... aaawww this brings back memories. :lol:

Oh, and crimping. I was an athlete at crimping my hair.

GlassEyes
February 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM
...haha, if she's the same actress who plays 'Spike' on the newest series, she's had a hair change. xD

littlenvy
February 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM
...haha, if she's the same actress who plays 'Spike' on the newest series, she's had a hair change. xD
Yeah, its the same one :)

mellie89
February 19th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Hahaha... you have to use your imagination and replace the **** in the URL with a non-PG-13 four-letter word. It isn't too hard to guess which one, though. ;)

I was only alive for two days of the 80s, unfortunately. My mom had some awesome 80s perms, though. :D

GRU
February 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM
And, btw, I never heard the term mullet until the last 5 years. :shrug:

"Business in the front, party in the back!" :cool:

Every now and then my girlfriends and I will see a totally rockin' mullet on a guy, and it's almost like a "slug bug" contest to see who can say, "Business in the front, party in the back!" first. :lol:

SheaLynne
February 19th, 2011, 02:55 PM
SheaLynne, hehee, that is so cute awww!

Thank you! :p

This is great! Thanks everyone for sharing :) SheaLynne your photo is lovely (hair and all!) thank you for posting it! :flower:

You're welcome...and, thank you! That was the last of my long, spiral perms. After that I kept trying to go to straight hair but ended up chopping and perming shorter for the next few years. Finally by mid to late 90s I was letting go of the perms and learning by baby steps how to live with my "real hair."

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane...........

Every now and then my girlfriends and I will see a totally rockin' mullet on a guy, and it's almost like a "slug bug" contest to see who can say, "Business in the front, party in the back!" first. :lol:

Haha!! Yes!!

kitschy
February 19th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Okay, you asked for it........

....Here is my 80's hair - all natural. I was about 32 years old here.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/53/l_8ffa4f7a348a48a0abc15c2bcfd92aa5.jpg

GRU
February 19th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I don't have any of my 80s picture (parents have them and we're estranged), but it was a lot like what kitschy posted... maybe we're not "hair twins" but I think it's safe to say that you're my "hair older sister"! :D

kitschy
February 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I don't have any of my 80s picture (parents have them and we're estranged), but it was a lot like what kitschy posted... maybe we're not "hair twins" but I think it's safe to say that you're my "hair older sister"! :D

I loved the 80's. My hair was absolutely perfect for it. And Gru, I'd be honored to be your hair older sister!:flowers:

GRU
February 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM
And Gru, I'd be honored to be your hair older sister!:flowers:

And I'd be honored to be your hair younger sister! :crush:

AZDesertRose
February 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I was a kid during most of the 80s, and kind of a young teenager by the end, but I definitely rocked the poofy bangs. No perms though.

alwayssmiling
February 19th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Kitschy - gorgeous!

Speckla
February 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I love 80s hair! I had the perfect hair for the decade. All I had to do wash brush my hair and spray my bangs = instant frizz without the damage of a perm. :)

boomtownrat
February 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Yes, I was a teenage fashion victim in the mid-80s. By 1987, I was getting into the alternative music scene and my hair started to take on a slightly more "avant garde" look, but I did have a mullet very briefly and I did have big "mall bangs" for a while. Most of the time I failed to achieve the looks that were fashionable at the time because I was kind of bad at being a girl. There are photos, but I don't have them scanned.

CareBear
February 19th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I remember when my friend told me her secret: flip upside down, spray the crap outta the front, wait to partially dry, and flip up. Curl and tease bangs into submission, with more hairspray in order to defy gravity. Result: swoopy side hair, tall tall bangs, and the back was always flat. LOL!
Also, my cat would lick my bangs while I was sleeping. Weird I know, I guess he liked the taste. I'd wake up with bangs like "There's something about Mary"

Chamomile betty
February 19th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I had these things I called wings. I sprayed so much my hair stuck out inches on each side. I am glad I hit the 80s hair at the end of the decade. My 90s hair wasn't to great either.

Copasetic
February 19th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I was too young to really rock 80s hair, but I wish I had the chance! I love 80s hair.

JulietCapulet
February 19th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I was a child in the 80's so I wasn't really much into my hair at the time but I don't understand why people think the 80's are so bad. I think the styles of that time are amazing!

Pyvsi
February 20th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I was a child of the '80s and fortunately I escaped the most laughable 80s faux-pas of people with my hair-type: the Jherri Curl. I remember the first time I saw one, I thought I wanted one...until the person turned around and I saw the moisturizer/activator stains on the back of the neck of his shirt. Ew.
I was very satisfied with a non-glowing soul. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doTln-HDFQo&feature=related)

PineappleJello
February 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM

That's exactly what I thought when I read SheaLynne's post!

GRU
February 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM
That's exactly what I thought when I read SheaLynne's post!

Great minds think alike. ;)