PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite all natural conditioner?

CarpeDM
February 18th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I've been wanting to try out another conditioner for a while now, so I'm asking the experts...what is your favorite all natural and/or organic hair conditioner?

Luckysock
February 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM
if you like silicone free, I love kiss my face 'mistreated' conditioner. It smells a bit lemon-lime and it does wonders for my hair. Not cheap - but its a treat :)

Celtic_Willow
February 18th, 2011, 06:32 PM
i agree with luckysock, my hair loves that conditioner, i use it for co-washing my scalp and use either natures gate henna shine conditioner/natures gate tea tree conditioner on the length since theyre a little more moisturizing for me

krissykins
February 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I still stand by Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose :)

CarpeDM
February 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Would this be good for fine limp hair? Right now I'm using AO GPB, but sometimes it can be a bit heavy...

krissykins
February 18th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Would this be good for fine limp hair? Right now I'm using AO GPB, but sometimes it can be a bit heavy...

Hmm, maybe not. My hair is pretty thick, so it loved AO HSR. This stuff is pretty thick, it's rather hard to get out of the bottle. I still say give it a shot if you like AO products so far!

PraiseCheeses
February 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Back when I was using shampoo and conditioner, I *loved* the J/A/S/O/N volumizing conditioner. I used it for two years and it never built up, made my hair soft and definitely added volume to my fine, limp hair. If I remember correctly, it's not 100% organic, but it's pretty dang close. There might be one or two little cones waaaayy down in the ingredient list, but the main cleansers and fortifiers are organic/natural.

I quit using it only because I am on a quest for cheaper methods, even though it was well worth the price tag. :) Only downside is the smell, but that can probably be remedied with some essential oils.

CarpeDM
February 19th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I was using Jasons for a little while there until I read their ingredient list, everything is not all natural unfortunately...

CarpeDM
February 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM
So here is the list for the Kiss My Face Miss Treated Conditioner:

INGREDIENTS: Certified Organic Floral Waters of Lavender, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Water, Infusion of Certified Organic Herbs of Horsetail, Rose Hips, Lemon, Red Raspberry, Thyme, Certified Organic Aloe Vera, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Certified Organic Sunflower Oil, Glycerin, Stearalkonium Chloride, Certified Organic Jojoba Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Lavender Oil, Green Tea Extract, Wheat Protein, Wheat Amino Acids, Rosemary Oil, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Eucalyptus Oil, Rice Protein, Panthenol, Lime Oil, Caprylic Acid, Glycine, Palmarosa Oil, Guar, Potassium Sorbate, Benzophenone 3, Citric Acid

Is this all natural? I'm not sure what Benzophenone 3, Ceteareth 20, and some others are?

Rhea
February 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM
My very best conditioner is sebum... natural sebum. :)

adiapalic
February 19th, 2011, 08:47 AM

Seconding this, for myself :bluebiggr

Probably not...however, I have medium-to-almost fine hair that can be pretty flat and limp on top all by itself. The entire length can get this way, even to the point of greasy, if I use too much of the AOHR conditioner.

If I apply it to the ends only, and only a minimal amount, then all's well. I *never* put it on my scalp. Just washed it last night, and now it's all full and clean.

adiapalic
February 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM
So here is the list for the Kiss My Face Miss Treated Conditioner:

INGREDIENTS: Certified Organic Floral Waters of Lavender, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Water, Infusion of Certified Organic Herbs of Horsetail, Rose Hips, Lemon, Red Raspberry, Thyme, Certified Organic Aloe Vera, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Certified Organic Sunflower Oil, Glycerin, Stearalkonium Chloride, Certified Organic Jojoba Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Lavender Oil, Green Tea Extract, Wheat Protein, Wheat Amino Acids, Rosemary Oil, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Eucalyptus Oil, Rice Protein, Panthenol, Lime Oil, Caprylic Acid, Glycine, Palmarosa Oil, Guar, Potassium Sorbate, Benzophenone 3, Citric Acid

Is this all natural? I'm not sure what Benzophenone 3, Ceteareth 20, and some others are?

I googled the chemical names. Here is a site that has a database of cosmetic ingredients listing what they are, what they're for, and their safety. From their main page:

Skin Deep is a safety guide to cosmetics and personal care products brought to you by researchers at the Environmental Working Group.

You'll have to check for yourself to see if this site is a credible source for this type of information.

Here's the chemicals you're asking about.

Benzophenone 3
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=704372

Ceteareth 20
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=701225

ETA:

Out of curisoity, I looked to see what EWG is (http://www.ewg.org/about). From the page:

About the Environmental Working Group

The Basics
The mission of the Environmental Working Group (EWG) is to use the power of public information to protect public health and the environment. EWG is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, founded in 1993 by Ken Cook and Richard Wiles.
In 2002, we founded the EWG Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization that advocates on Capitol Hill for health-protective and subsidy-shifting policies.
EWG specializes in providing useful resources (like Skin Deep and the EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides™) to consumers while simultaneously pushing for national policy change.

In other news:

In December, EWG published the first national investigation of the suspected carcinogen chromium-6 -- also known as hexavalent chromium -- in drinking water in 35 cities around the country.

That's the same chemical the Erin Brochovich movie was based around.

Pretty cool.

/tangent.

Pixna
February 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, without question. It works, it's rich and creamy without being heavy, and the aroma is absolutely intoxicating.

CarpeDM
February 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I googled the chemical names. Here is a site that has a database of cosmetic ingredients listing what they are, what they're for, and their safety. From their main page:

You'll have to check for yourself to see if this site is a credible source for this type of information.

Here's the chemicals you're asking about.

Benzophenone 3
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=704372

Ceteareth 20
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=701225

ETA:

Out of curisoity, I looked to see what EWG is (http://www.ewg.org/about). From the page:

In other news:

That's the same chemical the Erin Brochovich movie was based around.

Pretty cool.

/tangent.

WOW thanks for the info!!

HintOfMint
February 19th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner is another conditioner to consider. The vast majority of its ingredients are what one would call "natural."

Here is the list
water, tea tree, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, nettle oil, thyme oil, birch leaf oil, chamomile oil, clary, coltsfoot leaf, yarrow oil, mallow, horsetail oil, soybean protein, cetyl alcohol, vitamin e, trace minerals, citric acid, sodium hydroxymethylgycinate, grape seed

GrowingGlory
February 19th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Sebum, NightBlooming's Triple Moon Oil and Winter Salve.

RitaPG
February 19th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I find coconut oil is by far the best conditioning product I've used :love: We don't have a lot of "natural" or organic brands around here, not that I know of at least. The most friendly product I've used was the Body Shop rainforest line, which is pretty damn good I think, I use the Moisture condish and hair mask for dry hair. I've seen Dr. Organic and Jason products somewhere, but haven't tried them yet

CarpeDM
February 19th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Has anyone tried Organic Excellence Chemical Free Mint Conditioner? Here is a list:

Ingredients
Purified Water, Vegetable Glycerin, Soybean Oil, Vegetable Oil, Oil of Spearmint*, Panthenol, Carotene, Vitamin E (d-Alpha Tocopherol) Olive Leaf Extract*, Ginger Extract*, Chamomile Extract*, Comphrey Root Extract*, Rosemary Extract*. *Certified Organic Herb

I've used their styling spray with good results but I haven't tried anything else in their line. I would love to hear from anyone who has used it before.

CarpeDM
February 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I find coconut oil is by far the best conditioning product I've used :love: We don't have a lot of "natural" or organic brands around here, not that I know of at least. The most friendly product I've used was the Body Shop rainforest line, which is pretty damn good I think, I use the Moisture condish and hair mask for dry hair. I've seen Dr. Organic and Jason products somewhere, but haven't tried them yet

I love coconut oil as well, but I find I need something in addition to CO.