PDA

View Full Version : Layers?

Kristin
February 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I'm considering getting fresh layers cut into my hair and would like opinions. My current length is about 1.5" past waist. I have old layers and the shortest layer is about 1" past BSL. Here's a length shot from December:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4758&pictureid=90460

I'd like to get layers around my face (I think that's called "angled"?) mainly to add visual interest and freshen up my look for spring. I'd also like to be able to hold a little bit of curl/wave at least in the front. I'm growing out my blunt bangs to side-swept bangs as well.

I know the layers will probably frustrate me when doing up-dos nd my hair is always up for at least half of everyday, often more.
Anyone have light layers? Are they annoying? If I get it layered, how short should I go in the front?

I'm trying to weigh the annoyance factor against liking my hair down more...

Thanks for the advice!

CarpeDM
February 18th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Since your hair is so thick, I think layers would work really well on you. You could also gradually grow out your bangs if you connected the layers a little in the front...

Avital88
February 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM
i think you would look great with layers! you will have bouncy healthy hair..
I'm also considering taking layers again, i just grew them out (almost) but i feel like i need layers in the front just so my face isnt looking so longish and boring..

Rocket22
February 18th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I agree layers on your hair would be great! I like layers on thick hair I think it makes it move very nice and adds that extra bounce. thin hair, no way!

Silverdragn7385
February 18th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Yep, I think long layers would be great! I have long layers in mine...they help to make the hair a bit lighter and stay up in a ponytail better...and they look cute in a messy bun (little sprigs of hair sticking out everywhere :)).

UltraBella
February 18th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I have never had an issue putting my hair up with layers but I tend to like the little whispies that spill out, I think they are kind of sexy :)
I don't have light layers, I have lots of them and I don't think I would like my hair nearly as much without them.

princess03
February 19th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Long layers pRetty short on mine not so much my hair gets puffy :)

ArcticNights
February 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I regret to this day that I put layers in my BSL hair three years ago. Still in recovery :o

Soon (12 months from now..?) I will be able to put my hair up in a desent updo again, or make a normal braid.

:no:

mellie89
February 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Oooh, I love my layers! I have long layers in the back and some shorter, face-framing layers in the front. I'd make sure that the shortest layer can fit in a bun or ponytail, so it won't be so annoying for you. I don't do a lot of up-dos, myself. Usually my hair gets shoved in a ponytail or messy bun. :p Braiding is definitely a pain in the butt with layers. If you do a lot of braided styles, I don't think I'd recommend getting layers.

Side note: Your hair is gorgeous, oh my gosh. I would kill for that much thickness!

Kathie
February 19th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I have face framing layers that start at my cheek bone and end just under my jaw line. My hair is always up so I these layers make the styles look a little softer. But, they’re angled, like you say, so if I was to where my hair down they just blend in with the bulk of my hair and add a bit of a wave at the front. I don’t find them annoying at all.

I think you would suite a few more layers around your face :agree:

Capybara
February 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Ooh you have beautiful hair!

I think that long layers would look lovely on you. I was hesitant about getting my layers, but am I ever glad I did! My hair lays so much better now and I'm much happier about it :)

spidermom
February 19th, 2011, 01:24 PM
If it's time for a change, go for it. Don't be afraid!

What in the world is "bouncy" hair?

UltraBella
February 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM
If it's time for a change, go for it. Don't be afraid!

What in the world is "bouncy" hair?

I have had several people refer to my hair as "bouncy". I usually have large curls and with my layers my hair has a lot of volume and movement. When I walk it literally bounces sometimes.
:)

Kristin
February 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the input, ladies! I think I'm gonna go for it!

Anyone attempted to cut their own layers? I haven't had my hair cut professionally in over two years and I don't really trust anyone...Forget if I mentioned it in my first post, but I'm thinking I'd like layers kinda like Kim Kardashian, but not quite as heavy.