PDA

View Full Version : To layer or not to layer.. that is the question...

PrincessTieflin
February 18th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I henna'd my hair last night .. used the same color as always but now I am noticing a severe line of demarcation where the blond was, you can see that it is 2 different colors, the roots are shiny coppery red, and the length is kinda a auburn brown..

I was thinking of doing some long layers just to try and get rid of *SOME* of the weird color at the ends.

I Know my hair loves layers, but I know its going to make my small bun's look even smaller...

I dont know what to do.. :confused:

mustpannkook
February 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I think the color will fade so I wouldn't get layers. My mom used to dye her hair with henna and in the end it always went all coppery red.

PrincessTieflin
February 18th, 2011, 11:53 AM
That is what I was hoping, but it always fades out to the point where the blond starts poking through at the bottom :(

Rocket22
February 18th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I vote no layers only because I see you have pretty fine hair and it will make it feel much thinner on the bottom layer, although with the curly hair it will make it fuller on the top.. I think anyways :) but I still vote no even if I don't know what I'm talking about :)

LILBERT
February 18th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I vote no layers, just because if you regret them at all they are a MAJOR pain in the @ss to grow out. Of course if your 100% sure then i say go for it :cheese: whatever makes you and your hair happy. There are plenty of longhairs who love their layers. But if your just doing it to ease the colour problem, then i think it may just create an even worse problem for you :shrug: just my :twocents:

mustpannkook
February 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM
That is what I was hoping, but it always fades out to the point where the blond starts poking through at the bottom :(

Hmm... Maybe you could try something new, like mixing henna with just a pinch of indigo? You could put it on the roots and plain henna on the length. I believe it'd make it all look auburn-ish. I haven't had any experience with it, though, but I believe you could give it a try!

pariate
February 18th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I vote no to layers, both because your hair is fairly thin AND is wavy. My hair is fine and I'm a 2c/3a. In my experience thin and wavy/curly isn't flattered by layers - the bottom layer ends up looking a bit stringy. I say patience (in this situation) is a virtue! It'll be gone soon enough :)

PrincessTieflin
February 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Not sure about the indigo. Deciding to henna took me years to decide to do. Now that i have found a good color for the new growth, I really worry about messing it up..

I wondered too about it making my ends thinner its been years since I had layers....

I think that yall are right they are a pain in the butt to grow out..

what about blending my bangs down along the side of my face, so I dont have to look at the color whenever my hair slides out of the updo?

PrincessTieflin
February 18th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Or perhaps just a dust will help me feel better *hides the scissors from herself*

pariate
February 18th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Or perhaps just a dust will help me feel better *hides the scissors from herself*

Lol. It starts with a dust...

McFearless
February 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't get layers. I'd try honey lightening on the ends and avoid anymore full length henna applications.

lapushka
February 18th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't get layers if I were you. You'd be stuck with a line of demarcation and layers to grow back out (and thinner buns with ends sticking out all over the place). Now go hide those scissors! :)

princess03
February 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I vote no layers. they are a pain to grow out and make your hemline thinner. i super regret mines! :(

PrincessTieflin
February 18th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I have hid the scissors :D Not going to try and lighten it, does that on its own in a few weeks the new growth sticks well but seems the henna fades off the blond faster.

Maybe I will just try some new toys. Got some new ones the other day.. maybe it will blend in the sunlight...

Going to try and get pics when it dries.