PDA

View Full Version : NOOO!!! Salon disaster :'(

Cleopatra18
February 18th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I went to the salon to get a "small trim" and she literally big chopped my hair.
I went from tailbone to BSL...:'( :'(
Pics in post #6

Marciesmojo
February 18th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Oh no!!!! Why oh WHY do stylists do this??? I am still growing out a horrible "trim" from two yeRs ago :( I cried and cried. So sorry!
Marcie

Umm that's" years" not "yers" duh!

yotaka
February 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Oh noooooooooo! Will salons never get the hint that we love our long hair and only what a small trim? And when we mean small, we mean SMALL. I'm so so sorry. :(

Maybe in the future tell her/him only .5 of an inch and then once she/he begins cutting ask to see the back to make sure you're getting what you want. Be very clear and firm with all your directions and if she/he doesn't seem to understand what you're saying then ask for the manager, if the manager doesn't understand, go to a different salon.

*hug*

Sooze
February 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
What on earth did she do that for?!!! Am so sorry. I hope you were able to say how upset you were, and didn't pay the full price for a cut you didn't want and didn't ask for. :shake:

Cleopatra18
February 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I talked to her for about 15 mins explaining EVERYTHING in my hair journey and how i want to do very small trims to gradualy get rid of the ends.I told her this time I only want 3-4 cm max taken off.I'm pretty sure she cut off over 6 inches or something...
Pics: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5139&pictureid=96370
I really wanna cry my eyes off :( :(

3azza
February 18th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Oh no, i totally feel with you, 2 days ago i went from almost classic to hip and each time i look in the mirror i feel like crying. It will grow, but yeah you feel sorry for the effort you've made and the time you spent protecting it. I'm planning to trim it myself next time. I'm so sorry :(

Carina
February 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Next time bring a ruler and show exactly how much she should cut and watch her hands and that scissor like a hawk.
I'm so sorry that happened to you.Hugs :).

Isilme
February 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM
With hairdressers you have to be very firm and stay to the subject, do not tell them you want to get rid of your ends, they will think they are making you a favour by cutting it all off in one go.

And sorry, but if you aren't happy you will have to tell them, and refuse to pay if you haven't gotten what you asked for. You can go back and tell her you aren't satisfied with the result though.

NouvelleNymphe2
February 18th, 2011, 11:27 AM
i'm sorry to hear that. stories like these make me a nervous wreck when i head to the salon for a trim. on a positive note, or trying to be positive, your hemline looks nice, and it will grow! :)

FluffSpider
February 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Advice for the future:speak metric. One inch, half an inch... a finger's worth. And always make her show you after the first cut. Hairdressers are trained to make you look different, so that their work is noticeable. And on TBL an inch gone is barely noticeable...
I'm really sorry it happened to you,it must be a shock... but take the better part of it: you've got a clean slate to work with now, I imagine all of the damage is gone. Good luck growing*hugs*

LawyerGirl
February 18th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Oh no, I'm so sorry! It seems this happens to me every time I get a trim. I've had to start telling them that I only want a certain amount trimmed, even if the ends are uneven.

Gypsy Librarian
February 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I am so sorry! This is one of reasons why I don't trust stylists. I never feel comfortable when I sit down in the chair. Why can't they just do as you ask them?!! They are a service industry, they are meant to make the customer happy not miserable!

Cleopatra18
February 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I'm so shocked :( I always trimmed for myself but this time I wanted an even hemline...
lol I keep thinking to myself that full moon leo thing better be true >:/ That's why I wanted the trim anyway.

LILBERT
February 18th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Im so sorry cleo! :(

ladylovecraft
February 18th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I'm so sorry hun... though my hair hasn't been as long as yours was, hairdressers always take too much. One took me from APL to above my ears when I stated I only wanted a trim... They're scissor-happy :/

selenechiba
February 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM
How terrible! Did you talk with the manager? If not, I would go back and let them know what a poor job the stylist did and how much it's affecting you, especially after spending so much time telling her what you wanted.

UltraBella
February 18th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'm so shocked :( I always trimmed for myself but this time I wanted an even hemline...
lol I keep thinking to myself that full moon leo thing better be true >:/ That's why I wanted the trim anyway.

Do you think it could have been the even hemline thing that confused the stylist ? I remember looking at your pics and reading your posts on a different thread about how you wanted a more blunt, even hemline and how you hated your thin ends, so I also assumed that when you cut it, you would cut all the taper off, which brings you to the length you are now. I think it looks really nice and thick now, if it's any consolation.
As a stylist you have to be able to interpret what the client wants and some stylists do not have that ability. They should always repeat back to you the plan for your hair so you have the chance to stop and explain again if necessary.
I am really sorry you aren't happy.

orangeskye
February 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
this sucks for you :( The last time i went to a salon something similar happened, i wanted just an inch or two and she took almost 6 off :( i cried..

i had gone to a stranger because i thought a stranger would listen better than my aunt who's also a beautician... she totally doesn't listen to me.. does what ever she wants, i think they think they know better, because they're "trained"

i'm sad for your hairloss, it'll grow back :(

ScarlettAdelle
February 18th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Oh, honey I'm so sorry and angry at the same time! As a long hair and a professional stylist, it always makes me sad to hear stories like these! It's never made sense to me that people in the service industry have absolutely no listening skills! When will they learn that a bad cut travels ten fold in relation to a good cut?

I wish I could impress on other stylists minds that you can always take more off, but you can't put it back! It's not their hair, they may think it looks better but their job isn't to make someone look their opinion of better, it's to perform a service the client in the chair cannot do themselves! I think state board should include a customer service portion. If you make decisions FOR your clients, instead of helping THEM make their decisions for themselves, they won't BE your clients for long! In a business driven by word of mouth and supported by return clients you'd think the stylist would understand that they're not being paid to change their client to their preference, but to act as a vehicle for the application of what the client wants. *sigh*unfortunately I seem to be alone in my industry in feeling that way.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with someone in my industry. We're not all bad, I promise :flower:

Kathie
February 18th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Based on your pics I can see she was trying to even the hem line... but at the end of the day that’s not what you asked for.

If it’s any consolation your hair looks awesome now :flower:

brunette
February 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM
It does look very lovely, thick and full at the ends post trim, however I too would be extremely unhappy. I have fairytails too and if a hairdresser assumed it was not what I wanted and lopped the lot off I would be livid.
Try to put it behind you, and continue on your hair journey :grouphug:

AspenSong
February 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM
*hugs* Sorry this happened to you. It's happened to me a few times myself, so I know how it is.
Last time I got a cut (nearly a year ago now) I told her in inches and also showed her where on my hair I wanted it cut to and then I made hubby stand there and watch to make sure it didn't go further than I wanted.

It's hard to - but look at it this way, it will grow back and it'll be even more gorgeous now that you've got some fresh, healthier ends. :)

Kome
February 18th, 2011, 12:15 PM
HUUUUUGE different. In my opinion I think it looks better now, but I know that doesn't help you or make it right. You should be specific... I dunno. I had 6 inches cut off when I told a stylist to add in more layers and NOT TO TRIM IT SHORTER, ONLY LAYERS. And she cut off 6 inches... so I get it... *sigh* I'm sorry for your hair loss, but think of the positive... thicker hemline??? Unless you like fairytale, then this doesn't help much. :(

pariate
February 18th, 2011, 12:17 PM
You poor thing! I know how it feels to leave a salon after a little surprise like that.... Others have already said this - if it's any consolation, your hair really does look fab with its new thick hemline. You have a lovely wave in your hair.

princess03
February 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM
OMG ***hugs****
the same thing happened to me November 2010 the guy cut off a whole years growth i was devastated! Trust me i wanted 2 cry my eyes out too but i fought it. itll grow bak. its been 3 months n my hair is looking fuller again, my disaster was horrible he did "layers" n left my longest layers as thin as little strands n da rest alot shorter. i had to trim it even more to even it out ;(

i vowed 2 Never go bak to any stylist or salon i searched online 2 trim my own ends. since all we want it micro trims u can easily do it at home. this us da only good thing i got out of this disaster. youtube it or you should find it here too. For two months i used real hair clip in extensions. My profile pic is my current hair post 3 month salon disaster hair. Hang in there! :)

mustpannkook
February 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I'm so sorry for you. I hope full moon in Leo will work! Next time you want to trim you could use one of your friend's help (or your mom's). It's cheaper and usually better (I've had really bad experiences with hairdressers, too).

It looks very nice now, though. I wish my ends would be so thick.

Nightshade
February 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I would be pissed and livid. I'm so sorry this happened to you :grouphug:

CurlAhead
February 18th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'm so sorry it happened to you, I know what it feels like.. :beercheer: (I'm sorry for the "beercheer" but I couldn't find a hug-smiley :p) I guess you have to be extremely clear with how much you want to cut, and I mean extremely, otherwise they just chop it all off! :(

Blueglass
February 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I am very sorry you don't like it. If I ever needed a different stylist I would consult LHC
members. In your case though I really like your hemline now. Its much fuller and thicker.
Are you sure you didn't give an impression of wanting an even hemline? From now on you should try to do more frequent, smaller trims.

skyblue
February 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM
OMG I'm so sorry this happened to you! I know it won't make you feel better but your hair does look really good and now you can just let it grow and just keep doing the little mini trims yourself

little_acorn
February 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM
:flower: I'm sorry I think most of us have had an experience like this one time or another. Your hemline does look really thick and neat now, though I know that this poor consolation. The trick is to find a hairdressor you trust - my current one is totally awesome and only takes off what I have agreed to - I hope you can find one like that where you live

burns_erin
February 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I would be livid as well. It seems to be a common occurrance at salons unfortunately. While I and DH rarely get trims, there is a salon we go to that usually does a very good job. My DH took my dad with to get his pre-wedding trims. Unfortunately, the one cutting my dad's hair somehow misinterpreted it (how I don't know), and she whacked a good eight inches off my dad's hair. The stylist cutting DH's hair saw it and could only say Oh my god stop, and it was too late. My dad ended up with an admittedly nice man's hair cut, but TBPH, I was hysterical when I saw it. My dad has had long hair for as long as I can remember. And with all the other stresses from the wedding it was too much. My dad is still pissed, and after almost a year, it is at a very awkward stage.

Regan
February 18th, 2011, 12:56 PM
i hope you didn't pay for it. seriously. as harsh as this sounds, i have no idea why 85% of "hairdressers" even choose their profession, they're usually completely daft when it comes to what they're doing. maybe she just didn't know how to measure? how else would one confuse 3-4cm for 6+ inches?

i'm sorry that this happened to you. i can't even imagine how agitated i'd be.

Cleopatra18
February 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Thank you all for the sweet responses.I guess the hemline does look better now but it's just not what i wanted for my hair.I was planning to chop all that off but gradually over the whole coming year,so I wont have to deal with taper and more trims.I have no choice now i guess.
it makes me so sad looking at the after pic,like heart broken.I keep thinking what if it doesnt grow,even though i know it will.
This is the second time in my entire life my hair has ever been that short.The first time was a little over 2 years ago and i started growing my hair back then.now I'm back at zero *sigh*
well atleast now i know i chopped ALL of the damage off.I hope my hair will stop being so tangly etc now.

lapushka
February 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I know what it's like to have a huge piece lopped off just like that. :grouphug:

If there's one certainty, it's this one: it'll grow back.

Do you think it could have been the even hemline thing that confused the stylist ? I remember looking at your pics and reading your posts on a different thread about how you wanted a more blunt, even hemline and how you hated your thin ends, so I also assumed that when you cut it, you would cut all the taper off, which brings you to the length you are now. I think it looks really nice and thick now, if it's any consolation.

I too can see where the confusion might have crept in. I get how trimming might end up being interpreted as: trimming *all the ends* and the only way she could do that was to tackle the shortest piece and go from there.

I have fairytails too and if a hairdresser assumed it was not what I wanted and lopped the lot off I would be livid.

Trimming and keeping your fairytail ends seem to be two different things. Things you need to *really* explain well to a hairdresser or they'll just lop all the "unevenness" off.

It's not their hair, they may think it looks better but their job isn't to make someone look their opinion of better, it's to perform a service the client in the chair cannot do themselves! I think state board should include a customer service portion. If you make decisions FOR your clients, instead of helping THEM make their decisions for themselves, they won't BE your clients for long! In a business driven by word of mouth and supported by return clients you'd think the stylist would understand that they're not being paid to change their client to their preference, but to act as a vehicle for the application of what the client wants.

Well put.

spidermom
February 18th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I'm so sorry you ended up with more of a haircut than you wanted. The same has happened to me, too. I am guessing that she felt she needed to take off that much to give you a thick and even hem. It looks terrific! I hope you come to enjoy your new length.

Othala
February 18th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I am so shocked and angry right now. I wished I lived near you. I would head down to that hairdressers and shout at her for the next 10 hours and demand compensation and an apology - in writing. Then I would report the salon to the press.

BrightEyes7
February 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
So sorry this happened... :grouphug:

Funwithsharps
February 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Once I went to a salon for a trim. I explained several times that I wanted a blunt cut hemline with NO LAYERS. Right after asking if I wanted it angled in the front-and me saying NO-she snipped the strands close to my face off at NOSE length. "I'm just going to try something different here." she said as she did it! I cried ever day after that. It looked awful and took years to grow out.

Cleopatra18
February 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM
As a stylist you have to be able to interpret what the client wants and some stylists do not have that ability. They should always repeat back to you the plan for your hair so you have the chance to stop and explain again if necessary.
I am really sorry you aren't happy.
But I really explained that i only wanted to take off a very small amount this time and remove all the ends gradually over the coming months.and she was like uh huh you're right,we'll plan a trim every month it'll look better in no time.I really dont think I could have explained it better.

I'm so sorry you ended up with more of a haircut than you wanted. The same has happened to me, too. I am guessing that she felt she needed to take off that much to give you a thick and even hem. It looks terrific! I hope you come to enjoy your new length.
thank you spidermom,I actually remembered you after she chopped off my length.I'm hoping my hair would make a nice comeback like your hair did.There's nothing i could do now except to do my best to maintain that hemline.It feels really nice but I'm afraid it'll break again once it hits waist and it'll be the same thing over and over again.

I am so shocked and angry right now. I wished I lived near you. I would head down to that hairdressers and shout at her for the next 10 hours and demand compensation and an apology - in writing. Then I would report the salon to the press.
Oh Othala that's very kind of you.I really wish I knew a better stylist but they all kinda stink here.I dont know how she considered what she did to be a small trim.Anyway I was hoping to get some more advice from you on what to do with my hair now,as in the best style to protect those ends.My Hair barely fits in a poorly shaped cinnamon now :(:( the ends stick out and it's a mess.I think a braid is the only thing available now.

Red_Wednesday
February 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM
So sorry this happened to you. The same thing happened to me in 2009, I went in for a trim and the stylist chopped off about a year's worth of growth. I cried off and on the rest of the day. The next day when I called to complain, she said she felt it was the right thing to do. I couldn't call her manager, because she was the owner, for crying out loud:rolleyes:. If wasn't as if she gave me a horrible cut, it was just that it wasn't what I wanted or even asked for.

Anyway, don't you worry about it, it will grow back in no time:flower:.

ALYSSA
February 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
im so sorry ! i feel ya thats soo sad :( hairstylists r have r under such pressure to get their clients hair "perfect"... but seriously some people need to clean their ears! it makes me want to be one jus so i can do things right! im sorry to hear about your hair loss

ScarlettAdelle
February 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM
How terrible! Did you talk with the manager? If not, I would go back and let them know what a poor job the stylist did and how much it's affecting you, especially after spending so much time telling her what you wanted.

Unfortunately this would most likely have little to no effect. Most hairdressers are independant contractors and the managers are usually only in charge of reordering product, making sure the cleaning supplies are accessable and collecting and dispursing checks. They're not bosses and most of the time, they're considered equals to the other stylists, and therefore have no place telling other stylists anything other than "Oh, hey, the towel guy didn't show, so try & only use what you absolutely need, k, thanks." Or "your check's in your top drawer!"

If you have anything to say, best course of action would be to talk directly to the stylist, as much as that sucks to do.

RitaPG
February 18th, 2011, 04:03 PM
And sorry, but if you aren't happy you will have to tell them, and refuse to pay if you haven't gotten what you asked for. You can go back and tell her you aren't satisfied with the result though.

This. I remember when my (not long haired) brother went to the hairdresser to get a simple haircut, and the thing came out all uneven and crappy. My grandmother was with us back then, she refused to pay and gave the barber a speech for a really long time.
I never had my hair cut at a salon, ever. My mom used to do that for me and now I trim it myself. You should do that too, there are some very helpful articles on how to trim your own hair.
Anyway, I'm really sorry you had to go through that, I'd be mad too for the loss of length, but try to see the good side, your hemline definitely looks thick and blunt, and hopefully you can enjoy growing a healthy head of hair again :grouphug:

Alvrodul
February 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
How awful! :grouphug:
I hope your hair will grow out again quickly, so that you get back to a length you are happy with. :flower:

blackhound
February 18th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Oh wow, I'm so sorry that happened. I fear hairdressers so much I've learned to cut my own hair.

Apropos of nothing, except that BAD HAIRCUTS must be in the wind today, my husband, who wears a pony tail went to a salon today, asked to have an inch cut off and ended up with way too much hair cut off.

Why on God's Green Earth can't hairdressers understand basic instructions or simple units of measurement. And they certainly don't respect the client's wishes. I can't figure out if there are that many bad hairdressers out there, or if there are that many disrespectful hairdressers out there.

I know you hate what happened to your hair, but it is still lovely. Cold comfort I know, but still ....

jasper
February 18th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I know you must be shocked by the drastic change in your length after looking at your whole album. I do think your hair was lovely before and is lovely now- though shorter than you wanted.

And what a mistake the stylist made! Instead of a regular customer coming in for a trim every month, I suppose you won't be going back.

Still, if you want to maintain your hemline, and are worried about thinning ends in the future, regular trims are probably a good idea. I hope you can find a hair dresser you trust or self trim method you can use.

cindy58
February 18th, 2011, 05:11 PM
It's really bad that you didn't get the trim you asked for -- but, despite the lost length, it does look nice now.

beez1717
February 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I think it is mean when hair stylists do stuff like this. All it does is make the customer mad and not generate sales.... Are most dressers secretly taught to hate longhairs and chop them ASAP?

Darkhorse1
February 18th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Uuuggh! I wish, wish, wish some hair dressers would clarify how much to cut BEFORE cutting!! I've been where you're at too and it's SO upsetting. I mean, that's clearly NOT a small trim. That's a cut

Hugs to you!!!

summerjade
February 18th, 2011, 07:28 PM
That is so terrible!!! I am so sorry for your loss!!! I don't understand why they won't listen to us! It takes a long time of patience and care to get our hair long and in one trip to the hairdresser, years gone! Maybe, after getting over the shock, you can enjoy it at this length until it grows back out. I'm sure it is very healthy and pretty.

ericthegreat
February 18th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry that she cut off so much length. She really should not have cut THAT much off, considering that you wanted to keep as much length as possible. But at least she gave you a good haircut. She did a very nice, even one length cut. You now have thick, healthy ends and you can now grow it out with a fuller hemline. :)

McFearless
February 18th, 2011, 08:38 PM
WOW that is a huge difference. Im really sorry. That has happened to me every single time I go in for a trim. Im scared of going back to the hairdressers.

:(
I say we learn how to trim our own hair.

Aarlene
February 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I think they should be called CUTTERS instead of stylists; that seems to be all they want to do. That's one of the reasons I started my long hair journey. I got so sick and tired of explaining ad nauseum what I wanted and instead only getting whatever it was that 'stylist' liked to do.

lindaton
February 18th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I am so sorry this happened. It does look so healthy but I know you were going for that look at your own pace. I once went for 6" and she took 12". Another time I was donating at a relay and I agreed to 8" and they took 13". So I know the sick, sad feeling. That is why I will cut my own from now on or take my best friend with me.

Linda

constancev18
February 18th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I'm so sorry. You have beautiful hair--though I know that's little consolation. :(

AnnaJamila
February 18th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Oh no! I've never had this happen, but I've just stopped going to hairdressers. It's such a hassel, I just use Faye's self cutting instructions. This way I don't have to call ahead and make sure that they set up a private room in the back and explain "No, I really can't walk past that guy in the waiting room without something on my head after you shampoo me."

:/ People are mean sometimes. But, judging by your peeper's post you're gorgeous so don't worry. And now your hemlines nice and fresh!

Gilly
February 18th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I think that maybe she thought you meant 3-4 INCHES rather than CM, not everyone works in metric!

But I think it looks beautiful now, so thick and even. :cheese:

Fufu
February 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.......

a trim is a trim, a cut is a cut, can't believe she can misunderstand that.

Aveyronnaise
February 19th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Wow , I am so sorry that you had to go through that. It does look nice and even and full though, small consolation.
It makes me want to hold on to my hairdresser and never let go !! He never ever cuts more that I say it's crazy , the last time I went in I said to cut a half an inch and then to talk to me about cutting more if he saw damage. He totally refused to cut more off , this is type of hairdresser you need .
Sending hair growth vibes to you .

-j-
February 19th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Oh My God!!!
Horrible, I´m so sorry for your loss!!! :(

Is it possible to buy some good scissors and do the trimming yourself or have a (long-haired) friend do it?
If not, at least find out from friends where you can find a gentle hairdresser the next time.

ETA
Ok, I read the whole thread and it seems that maybe she did get confused about the hemline thing. Although the fact is thet she didn´t listen to you when you explained what you wanted exactly. A very unfortunate event, I must say :(

milagro
February 19th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I'm sorry about your disappointment :grouphug:
Can't see the pics but TBL upto BSL is no trim by any stretch of reason, it's a chop!
Though let's look at the bright side, you have a gorgeous hemline now and hope you will regain your length fast and with thicker healthier ends! :flowers:

Sanyia
February 19th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I am so sorry to hear. This is why I do the self trim. Last time I went to the hairdresser she took me from almost mid-back to 2 inches from SBL. "Quarter inch trim". Right.

jlw9222
February 19th, 2011, 01:38 AM
OMG!! Beware of evil women with scissors. I am so sorry this happened to you. I felt like crawling into a fetal position after my last "trim." This was definitely a noticeable extreme cut. I don't blame you for being very upset, especially after you told her exactly what you were looking for.

In trying to be positive, I guess you can look at it as now you can grow out your hair with no need to trim for a very very long time...you have very healthy ends that will allow maximum growth. I know that after my last visit to the hair salon and I went from below BSL to well above BSL, I haven't been back to the salon...that was one year and 5 months ago. Now I'm at 34" which is approx four inches from BCL on me.

Oh...I know nothing is really going to make you feel better. I'm so sorry.

Ishje
February 19th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I am sorry that happend, I hope your hair will grow back fast!
it is a shame people in salon's don't listen better.
(of course some do, but you never know)

Dragon
February 19th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I am sorry this happened to you :grouphug: . I was once told by a hair dresser that where she learnt they are only given one training head that they have to get as many hair cuts out of it as possible before they learn to cut on people. So I can under stand getting bad hair cuts and to much length taken off. But I do think a lot of them just don’t listen as I have asked for a trim and not only did I lose to much length, they layered it. I hope your hair grows back fast. Your hair did look good before but it still does look good.

Toadstool
February 19th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I'm so sorry. I understand this would feel like a real loss and possibly an attack on your identity.

I really don't know how this happens. Every time I go to a hairdresser they do exactly what I ask. The times it goes wrong is because I've asked for or agreed to something I didn't understand wouldn't look how I wanted, but they always follow my instructions.
I don't mean this is you, OP, asking wrong because you sound like you were VERY clear. i mean I genuinely don't understand how this happens, and I wonder if it happens much in the UK and other countries or is just in the US (where I see a lot of these threads coming from)? I mean is it a cultural difference in attitudes towards hair/ customer service/something else?
Anyway I am sorry and none of my ponderings help, I know. I hope your hair grows back quickly for you.

ETA Just read Dragon's reply so obviously it happens in Australia too!
ETA again- I wonder if it's just that I live in a small town with a disproportionate number of hairdressers competing for business?

Diamondbell
February 19th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Oh no, I am sorry to hear this! That was really drastic. :grouphug: Hope your hair grows fast! (I do the Feye's method - safest!!)

Mesmerise
February 19th, 2011, 04:48 AM
*Hugs* I'm so sorry for you! How a hairdresser can misinterpret the word "TRIM" I don't know... a trim - to me - has always been a bit off the end. That's it! I always indicate with my fingers how much I want trimmed off... depending on the condition of my hair it may be more or less... but sheesh!

I remember going in for "long layers" once, and I ended up with a really thick layer about chin length... wth I asked for a LONG layers... which means...yeah...of course you all know what it means!

Reading stuff like this makes me scared to go back to the hairdresser just in case they think the word "trim" means chop off 6"...

spitfire511
February 19th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Just more hugs here - I hate that you didn't get what you wanted!

Do you think it would be worth it just to call her and let her know that she didn't do what you asked and that you're unhappy? The only reason I say so is that if she doesn't know (unless you told her while you were there? I don't know if I missed that) is she thinks she's done a good job and everything is fine. She *might* learn from it if she knows you're not happy and maybe not do the same thing to someone else?

Just an idea anyway! More hugs and agreed that your hair really does look lovely :blossom:

Cleopatra18
February 19th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I know I'm mistaken for not telling her what a horrible job she did,But i honestly didnt know until I got home.I always go there to get my eyebrows done so I kinda dont want to start problems.She was the only one in the shop that time (it was kind of late),so there was noone else to rely on or to complain to.
I think I'm starting to get over it.Your sweet comments is helping me look at the positives.The hemline does look better now.Thank you all.

stevekooch
February 19th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I'm really sorry for what happened to you. Unfortunately hairdressers make things like this. I've heard many times these stories.

Now, take your patience and love for your beautiful hair and start again, even with stronger convinction and constancy.

And maybe you can think trimming by yourself and helped by friends to avoid bad suprises.

Good luck, your hair will be ever better than before!

smileycat
February 19th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Hang in there! Personally, my stylist complains that my slippery hair is her hardest cut (more than once), and I think though she intends to only trim what I want, sometimes she ends up taking more because my hemline isn't coming out even for her.

That is quite a big chop that you weren't expecting, so I can understand your upset. I wish you fast growing!