PDA

View Full Version : Scared for my hair ... :(

WickedLady
February 18th, 2011, 10:53 AM
For the past 4 years my hair has been thining and falling out do to stressors in my life that i cannot fix or get rid of. This all started years ago but got worse when i went on a business trip... Before all this happend I always used store bought brands of shamnpoo and conditioner, vitamins, and ate like a normal person... Then when my hair started falling out the lenght got shorter, layers got thinner, my scalp started showing, and my hair started breaking... I used everything from organic, no poo, even main n tale to try to get it to stop.. but it wasnt only a business trip that started this. Alot of family funerals and marriage stress did it also. So right now im using a scalp massage oil and WEN lavendar. it seems to be doing pretty well for my hair i do not see asmuch coming out but 4 years is a long time. Dotors have said i have nothing wrong with me that would be causeing this. So last summer i got my hair cut with my mother got it cut to my chin with a few layers. it was ok for a while. Then as it slowly started to grow out having the layers made it look really thin and it hasnt thickend up. :( i'm scared i want my thick long hair back. it is the one thing that i'm self concious about :( and i dont feel good about msyelf with out it. even got worse after i got off birthcontrol. Any support and suggestions would be greatful.

Gypsy Librarian
February 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your hair troubles--and all the other ones too. I know you said you've been to doctors, but have you been to a dermatologist? My mother had similar problems and a derm. prescribed something and it really helped her despite the fact that her hair loss and bald patches were significant.

Madora
February 18th, 2011, 11:31 AM
have you consulted a trichologist regarding your hair problems? Also, have you had a complete blood panel done and checked for anemia problems or thyroid issues? Good luck!

Lucia2
February 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM
So sorry to hear this - are you on any meds? (Even Birth Control can cause hair loss).
Agree a visit to a trichologist or derm might be a good idea.
x

WickedLady
February 18th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your hair troubles--and all the other ones too. I know you said you've been to doctors, but have you been to a dermatologist? My mother had similar problems and a derm. prescribed something and it really helped her despite the fact that her hair loss and bald patches were significant.

I did go to a dermatologist but the doctor said it was hereditery. all they did was took a strand of hair looked at the folicle and said that. No tests nothing i was appauled.

skyblue
February 18th, 2011, 12:48 PM
there is a protein in our bodies that help our bodies use iron if this protein is low your iron is not being used properly and can cause loss of hair, a simple blood test should show this, sorry I don't know the name of this protein but a doc should know what you mean when you ask about it, good luck!

WickedLady
February 18th, 2011, 01:51 PM
So sorry to hear this - are you on any meds? (Even Birth Control can cause hair loss).
Agree a visit to a trichologist or derm might be a good idea.
x

I really dont like subjecting my body to meds but i did try rogaine for a while then i stopped because i didnt want my body to but acustomed to relying on it. Thus it was also not showing very good results, and the fear of having to use it for the rest of my life. I have tried main n tail for a while because i heard it made hair thicker stronger and longer. did nothing but making my hair dry and not showing good results. maybe it was because i didnt use main n tail for years as a kid. I have a freind who has used it for years and her hair is beautiful and thick but she also has straight hair i have curly hair so a bit worse for me. my hair is to my shoulders at the moment but now the layers are uneven and the layers make my hair look thin. cutting it wont hlep it ebcause i have been down that route before. so if it is taken this long im not sure what is causing it but stress and anxiety thatsometimes i do not know when its there or not.

WickedLady
February 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM
there is a protein in our bodies that help our bodies use iron if this protein is low your iron is not being used properly and can cause loss of hair, a simple blood test should show this, sorry I don't know the name of this protein but a doc should know what you mean when you ask about it, good luck!

The doctors did a thyroid test and blood tests said there was nothing showing a red flag that was causing this. I would really like to know what the name is so that maybe i can talk to the doc again. Most of them are telling me they cant find anything but i know my own head something else is causing it not just stress either

Lucia2
February 18th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Did they test for all thyroid hormones (T3/4 I think it is?) and anaemia? The problem is sometimes we can be in the 'normal' range but that isn't necessarily normal for or at a level that is optimum for hair growth/health.
This is common with iron deficiency/anaemia where you levels may not below the lower level but your serum levels are no where near high enough for healthy hair growth.
It might be worth trying something like Floradix (its a liquid iron supplement with Bvits and kelp) it may help and it certainly won't hurt.
:)

Gypsy Librarian
February 18th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I did go to a dermatologist but the doctor said it was hereditery. all they did was took a strand of hair looked at the folicle and said that. No tests nothing i was appauled.

That is horrible! My mother had to go to several dermatologists before she found one that would take her concern seriously. I am so sorry you are dealing with this!

WickedLady
February 18th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Did they test for all thyroid hormones (T3/4 I think it is?) and anaemia? The problem is sometimes we can be in the 'normal' range but that isn't necessarily normal for or at a level that is optimum for hair growth/health.
This is common with iron deficiency/anaemia where you levels may not below the lower level but your serum levels are no where near high enough for healthy hair growth.
It might be worth trying something like Floradix (its a liquid iron supplement with Bvits and kelp) it may help and it certainly won't hurt.
:)

I have gone several times i might just go again. I'm in the military so everything to the military doctors is normal :( i dont know what to do. but yes they test for the t3/4 and thyroid, and hormone lvls. But they have never tested me for a chemical imbalance and they wont. so i'm goign to keep to my vitamins and treatments to my scalp and go see the dermatologist AGAIN but it wont boost my self confidence to know that i'll never get my hair back :(

Lucia2
February 18th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Ahh right, my sister was in the RAF and had quite a serious illness dismissed for a long time (she was finally medically retired) so I understand you aren't going to get a lot of support from the Forces medics. :(

Really sorry you are going through this, it's horrid and really knocks your confidence. (I suffered with hair loss coming off a BCP). Hope you can find someone sympathetic who will take your concerns seriously.
:-/

Kaeita
February 18th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't discount the stress as a cause of your hair thinning. Stress is a term used a lot to describe emotional upsets, usually coming from external pressures, but it causes physical changes within the body as well. Long term stress can poison and exhaust the body. Counseling can help, as can learning stress management techniques. The best "treatment" is to remove the cause of the stress, if at all possible. Sometimes this requires a whole lifestyle change, which isn't possible for some people. Small changes can often have big results though, so there is hope even if you can't change your whole lifestyle.

tinywife
February 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Try vitamins. I'm convinced that taking prenatal vitamins could serious reduce hair loss in women.
Also, just because tests for hypothyroidism come up negative doesn't mean you don't have it. Borderline hypothyroidism won't show up on tests, but will cause all of the symptoms. If you are tired or cold a lot, you might want to get treated for hypothyroidism. Once again, I'd start with a natural nutritional treatment. Prenatal vitamins did it for me.

Cupofmilk
February 19th, 2011, 03:53 AM
I just wanted to say I hope things get better. You have been given some great advice above and I think seeing a non-forces dermatologist etc may be a good place to start.
xx

Issmene
February 19th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Do you still stress? It seems like the main cause. Also somewhere here on LHC there was a link to an article about a woman who had lost a lot of hair and regained by (if I can recall correctly) eating a protein and iron-rich diet, or only iron-rich I'm not sure, but I can't find the article anymore.

Issmene
February 19th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I've found it! :) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1348097/I-lost-hair--grew-iron-rich-COCKLE-diet.html. Although, I can't find what her cause for hairloss was. Either way, I hope for you everything will get better.

hennared
February 20th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I relate very much. I have lost tons of hair myself in the past three years.. I may, after 3 years of doctors, be on the path to finding what really IS wrong with me.. but that's a long long story.

You might want to look at forums that discuss hair loss specifically; heralopecia and the womenshairlossproject are two I know of. LOTS of info and advice for coping there. I find it s a good complement to information here to help me best care for my hair and explore the reasons and causes for the loss.

AnnaJamila
February 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
My best advice would be to try and incorporate walks in a scenic area, meditation and if at all possible yoga. This sounds like it could be stress induced (which is in a way ironic as it's causing you so much stress) so if you try to reduce your stress levels it could impact your hair. Just a thought! But blood tests do sound like a good idea.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 20th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I have no brilliant advice but I am in the same sad boat...stressed and losing hair like crazy! If it's not shedding, it's breaking. And it's been going on for years, but definitely worse in hard times. For me the best I can do is throw on a hat (no problem as it's -3 degrees here currently) and try to take active measures towards fixing/accepting the areas of my life that are stressful. Hair seems less important when other things are going well...and like a big tragedy when they aren't. Breathe deep of the lavander and feel better! :)

WickedLady
March 17th, 2011, 05:05 PM
i got the biopsy done today kinda hurts but in a week i get the sutures out and in 3 weeks will find out the results. Doc said i was deficient in iron so i got some iron suplements. so soon as the wounds heal i can start doing the acv rinses and the biotin and horsetail shampoos along wiht the caster oil. will update soon.

selderon
March 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hooray for progress! :D Good for you for pursuing this!

WickedLady
March 17th, 2011, 05:58 PM
if it all comes down to it that it is just a normal process that some women get it will be stress off my shoulders and then i can continue to just try to take care of my scalp and hair wiht these new techniques until im old age :) and hopefully the acv and caster oil will do me some justice if not then keep my spirits high that it will fill in again.