PDA

View Full Version : Random new cowlick/scalp cleavage

monsterna
February 17th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Since joining LHC, I began to notice a "new" cowlick at the back of my crown on the right side only. It creates MASSIVE scalp cleavage and almost looks like I'm balding. The hairs in that area seem to be growing all over the place, and they didn't use to. I have to comb over it a lot to get the hairs on the top layer to cover it, but it's still kind of wonky. If I just leave it, it looks a mess.

It's just weird that I've never had a problem like this before joining LHC. I haven't done anything different that would cause anything like this, I don't think. But then again, I have no idea what COULD cause this anyway.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Just one day you notice a new cowlick that is screwing everything up? I'm getting kind of worried about it.... The other side of my head and all over is fine.

irisheyes
February 18th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I have a cowlick like that on the right back side of my head. If I part my hair on that side, the part goes all the way through to the back and looks like it is 12 inches long. It seems to be worse when I do CO washing. I have always had this, but it was only a big problem in the past if my hair was short - then it looked like I had a flat, lopsided head. My mother also had a cowlick exactly like this and in the same spot. Thanks, Mom!

Fiordiligi
February 18th, 2011, 05:34 AM
It's just weird that I've never had a problem like this before joining LHC. I haven't done anything different that would cause anything like this, I don't think. But then again, I have no idea what COULD cause this anyway.

Do you think it's possible that it's been there all along but you've only just noticed it because you're suddenly paying more attention to your hair? Perhaps you should look even closer. For example, I was in blissful ignorance for years, then a couple of years ago saw a bit of scalp cleavage and panicked that my hair was thinning on the crown, especially as my hairline is a little sparse anyway. After that, however, I looked properly at the back of my head for the first time in my life, and over time came to realise and accept that that's just the way my hair parts naturally; it has a sort of double crown thing going on. I can tell best when my hair is greasy, because that's when it's most pronounced. It's a pain, certainly, but once I saw it for what it actually was, just my hair going its natural way, I could accept it and work out ways to get round it. I always check the scalp cleavage isn't showing as far as I can, but it doesn't bother me unduly now. Just my experience of course, hope you find ways round yours too!

monsterna
February 18th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I have a cowlick like that on the right back side of my head. If I part my hair on that side, the part goes all the way through to the back and looks like it is 12 inches long. It seems to be worse when I do CO washing. I have always had this, but it was only a big problem in the past if my hair was short - then it looked like I had a flat, lopsided head. My mother also had a cowlick exactly like this and in the same spot. Thanks, Mom!

I CO wash now exclusively, too, and clarify when I need to (I use a coney conditioner). I got my husband to look at it last night and he explained it as you did -- that it was just pretty much an extension of my natural part. It looks wonky and awkward, but as long as it's not thinning or something, I can deal. Nice to know someone else has it, as well!

Do you think it's possible that it's been there all along but you've only just noticed it because you're suddenly paying more attention to your hair?

That could be the case, although I've always paid attention to my hair in the sense of wanting it to look good before I go out, heh. Maybe it's possible that as it's gotten longer, it's become more noticeable due to gravity pulling it down more and exposing it. Thanks for your response!

Fiordiligi
February 18th, 2011, 07:53 AM
That could be the case, although I've always paid attention to my hair in the sense of wanting it to look good before I go out, heh. Maybe it's possible that as it's gotten longer, it's become more noticeable due to gravity pulling it down more and exposing it. Thanks for your response!

Yes, you're right, I forgot to say that I only really noticed mine when my hair got properly past my shoulders! :)

Blackfire
March 12th, 2015, 04:02 AM
I think I have this too, I thought my hair was falling out, but only notice I when I oil my scalp, and no shed seems to be going beyond normal... It looks like I have a double crown thing, and some crazy cowlicks... Also I noticed two weird parts right above my ears... Anyone else have that? Or is it just me with the ear cowlicks?

jackie_brown
March 12th, 2015, 04:28 AM
I have a cowlick on the right side of my head too (on the top).
I think everyone has cowlicks, mine is visible when i wake up in the morning, if i slept in supine position (because the roots have been flattened on the pillow).
Then i shake my cowlick with the fingers and it isn't visible anymore.

Aurum
August 3rd, 2015, 02:22 AM
Reviving this thread because I could use some scalp help.

I've had a diagonal part, travelling from the front right to back middle-ish, for most of my life and never had a problem with hair cleavage. I've only recently developed a pretty visible spot on the back left of my head where my part extends too far down. It starts out normally until about 3/4 of the way back, where it almost branches off and wizzes over the back left on its own. The hair even feels thinner there. It's like I developed a cowlick/bald spot overnight. :(

I haven't changed my hair routine or hairdos recently. What could be causing it, and how can I fix it?

lapushka
August 3rd, 2015, 03:51 AM
Taking a fine tooth comb or a pick and fluffing the roots up (pick) or combing it down (over the cleavage) might do wonders.

Arctic
August 3rd, 2015, 04:41 AM
I've always had a cowlick at the crown, but it got increasingly worse with my hair type change (coarser hair, developed waves).

Only blowdrying helps with mine. Hair powder is ok too. Combing, teasing, fluffing... not working. Braiding or bunning (on top of the area) sometimes works, but is unreliable.

Aurum
August 3rd, 2015, 02:45 PM
Taking a fine tooth comb or a pick and fluffing the roots up (pick) or combing it down (over the cleavage) might do wonders.

I have tried both, and the effect has only lasted a few minutes until the hair returns to its previous position. Gah. :whip:

lapushka
August 3rd, 2015, 02:55 PM
I have tried both, and the effect has only lasted a few minutes until the hair returns to its previous position. Gah. :whip:

Oh darn, that's too bad! I really would have thought that would be it, you know.

Ellethwyn
January 28th, 2017, 05:44 PM
New problem of mine :/ I've never noticed this before, so i'm assuming it's a new cowlick on the right side.

Deborah
January 28th, 2017, 09:46 PM
My mother has the worst cowlick on the back, right of her hair. She used to wear it shorter or curled, so it was less noticeable. For someone with long hair, wearing the top pulled back in a barrette hides it, or wearing a bun takes care of it. Also, when the hair is long enough, the weight tends to hold it down. There is no cure for a cowlick. You just have to find styles that deal with it.

school of fish
January 29th, 2017, 06:16 AM
I seem to have developed one too, or perhaps always had it and had never noticed before. It's also towards my right side at the back of the crown, like an alternate path for my natural part.

It makes itself much more evident when I get lazy about hennaing my roots (and I've been lazy these last 3 weeks so it's really showing now, haha!)

I wonder if it appeared as my texture started changing with my last pregnancy... I was a lifelong 1a but with my 2nd pregnancy my underlayer started growing in 2b, and this little cowlick thing is right about where the wavy section starts... hmmmm.....

In any case, since I wear my hair down and since my hair is so 'swishy' and never stays in a set place, about the best I can do for disguising it is to keep those roots touched up. I'm off to thaw my henna now... ;)

Arctic
January 29th, 2017, 07:16 AM
I think cowlicks are an aspect of wave pattern. Not that straighties wouldn't have cowlicks, but for wavies they seem to be part of the wave pattern. Maybe ellethwyn you start developing some wave?