PDA

View Full Version : I can't post to my blog

Sian100
March 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Hello again everyone,

I have been trying to start a blog for the last couple of days. However, every time I try to post the message, I have to wait for a few minutes while the computer thinks about it, then finally a prompt comes up, which states:

You have chosen to open

blog_post.php

which is a: PHP file

from http://forums.longhaircommunity.com

What should Firefox do with this file?

Open with...

Save to disk....

At both times, I was trying to post at 19.00 GMT, which I appreciate may be a busy time, but I can't post during the rest of the day, as I am at work.

Is anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?

Dianyla
March 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
It sounds like FireFox is trying to download the blog webpage, instead of opening it. Are you possibly holding down any shift/control keys when you click on the link? Do you have any high security settings defined for FireFox to prevent running scripts? (You could add *.longhaircommunity.com to the list of trusted/safe sites to exempt LHC from that policy.)

So, what happens when you click on Open? does it work?

Sian100
March 12th, 2008, 01:42 PM
No, it doesn't work if I select "Open with Firefox." I used to have this problem when the old LHC site was busy, so I thought maybe that was just why.

Can you explain the bit about running scripts again?

Thanks Dianyla.

ETA: Also, just to confirm that I do not hold shift or control down when I hit "post reply", or whatever the button is called.

Dianyla
March 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Can you explain the bit about running scripts again?

You might have FireFox set up to disable scripts for security reasons. Many of our forum pages are written in PHP which is a scripting language.

But, you can post elsewhere? Just not the blogs? That's unusual.

Sian100
March 13th, 2008, 02:02 AM
No, I suppose I wouldn't have Firefox set up to disable scripts, as I can post everywhere else, and on other forums.

I have now posted a test post in the blog, at 08.00 GMT, the graveyard time, so I think it must be to do with how busy the site is. Funny how other people can post at busy times though.

Thanks anyway, Dianyla.

Sian100
March 13th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Okay, it now looks like I can post a couple of lines, but not a full message (it was only only to be about 20 lines anyway, not exactly a magnus opus).

Sian100
March 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I've just lowered myself to using Internet Explorer for the first time in years to test this, and it's not posting anything more than a few lines on that even.

Does anyone have any suggestions- this is driving me mad, and my patience is running out with it!

talullah
March 15th, 2008, 03:28 PM
This is pretty random-- but have you tried going into Group Memberships (in your User CP) and changing it to Member Level 2, 25 posts or more? I think that by default, we're all in Level 1, even though we have more than 25 posts. I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with posting blog entries of a certain length, but I can't think of anything else. :shrug:

Sian100
March 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I tried to post the following as an ETA on the last post, but I'm getting the same error message on this thread now! (I've also just had the same problem with a PM that included a quotation of the previous message) So it looks like, between my computer and this website, one or the other doesn't like me posting longish messages.

Anyway, this was what I was going to add:

Btw, this is what the error page on IE says:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

(it's a very informative page! :rolleyes:)

Sian100
March 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
This is pretty random-- but have you tried going into Group Memberships (in your User CP) and changing it to Member Level 2, 25 posts or more? I think that by default, we're all in Level 1, even though we have more than 25 posts. I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with posting blog entries of a certain length, but I can't think of anything else. :shrug:

Thanks Talullah, I will go and try that!

talullah
March 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I tried to post the following as an ETA on the last post, but I'm getting the same error message on this thread now! (I've also just had the same problem with a PM that included a quotation of the previous message) So it looks like, between my computer and this website, one or the other doesn't like me posting longish messages.

Anyway, this was what I was going to add:

Btw, this is what the error page on IE says:

(it's a very informative page! :rolleyes:)

Okay, that's *really* weird. I was thinking it just had to do with the restricted areas of the site. I am at a loss. :confused:

Sian100
March 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Btw, Talullah, I just tried your last suggestion and then tried to post a long comment (copied and pasted from the internet as a test) but it still didn't work! Thanks very much for your suggestion though.

dancingbarefoot
March 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Sian, I'm sorry about the troubles you've been having. I'll remind the admins to look into it. :bigflower:

Sian100
March 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks, dancingbarefoot. :flowers:

Flaxen
March 15th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Hang in there, Sian. :flowers:

1. Do you have the most current version of firefox - 2.0.0.12? If not, be sure to do that first.

2. Clear your cookies:
Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Show Cookies > Highlight forums.longhaircommunity.com and hit Remove Cookies. Or "Remove All Cookies" if you want to do a nice clean up.

3. Clear your cache:
Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cache: "Clear Cache Now"

4. Check to see if you have a proxy connection:
Tools > Options > Advanced : Network : Connection : Settings
If "Direct Connection to the Internet" is ticked, that's good. If it's a proxy, report back, and I'll do some more investigating.

5. After you've done those things, if it still doesn't work, it could be a firewall or antivirus problem. Check those settings and see if they are set to check the website content and are changing the content headers.

Sian100
March 16th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Hi Flaxen,

Okay, I've just done everything you said- number 4 was set to "proxy", but I changed it to "connect directly to the internet", and it still doesn't work.

However, Firefox is now giving a different message:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Sian100
March 16th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I doubt the site could be busy at this time, 09.50 GMT, the graveyard time, so it must be something else.

I've checked my firewall and antivirus, and I can't see anything that jumps out.

What was that thing that lots of people set up in a system file ages ago to enable us to access the hacked LHC? That would still be on my computer- I'll investigate that.

Thanks very much for your help, Flaxen.

Dianyla
March 16th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Okay, I've just done everything you said- number 4 was set to "proxy", but I changed it to "connect directly to the internet", and it still doesn't work.
So, it sounds like you're behind a proxy on your network. Is this at home? Or at work?

Sian100
March 16th, 2008, 03:57 AM
So, it sounds like you're behind a proxy on your network. Is this at home? Or at work?

I'm at home- I haven't tried it at work (our internet use is monitored there and I'm too new still to get away with too much messing around).

Dianyla
March 16th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I'm at home- I haven't tried it at work (our internet use is monitored there and I'm too new still to get away with too much messing around).

Do you have a home firewall set up on your computer/router?

Sian100
March 16th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Do you have a home firewall set up on your computer/router?

Yes, Sygate Personal Firewall (the one that's free to download, :oops: but my computer geek brother assures me that it's good enough).

Dianyla
March 16th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Yes, Sygate Personal Firewall (the one that's free to download, :oops: but my computer geek brother assures me that it's good enough).
Is there any way that you can add longhaircommunity.com to your list of "trusted/safe" sites?

Sian100
March 16th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Okay, I've just added the IP address for this site to my list of "allowed" websites, but it still doesn't want to post longish messages! It's the same error message as the last post.

Thanks for your help anyway, Dianyla.

ETA: Are there any computer geeks around who know what's going on? (Can post short posts, not longer ones- longer ones get the error messages described previously).

Thanks everyone.

Flaxen
March 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM
By any chance do you have more than one firewall (or antivirus) program running? Multiple ones can really mess things up. If you have XP and have installed Service Pack 2, it has a built in firewall, and you shouldn't need another.

I'll have to do a little more searching about the proxy thing. Say, could you try the message boards over at mozilla.org for ideas?

Sian100
March 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Flaxen, yes, I also have Avast! antivirus (also free :oops:) installed. This is the first time in three years of having both programs that I've had internet access problems though. I do have XP- it was already on the computer when I bought it in 2004. Then, I was invited to sign up to Norton antivirus, but I definitely had to pay (bah humbug!) so I declined their kind offer. Also, I lived in Ireland in 2004, so there may be a different deal with these things in different countries.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions- I'll have a look at the antivirus and also at the Mozilla website (it affects IE also though). Also, I have just discovered that I can't upload pictures either. So, the crux of the problem seems to be that I can't upload more than a small amount of data at a time.

I think I'll ask my brother (computer expert/ geek).

ETA: By the way, thanks Flaxen! I was preoccupied with not having too many words in this post that I forgot to thank you. :oops:

Flaxen
March 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Sian, I just realized my wording might read differently than I intended. It's OK to have 1 firewall and 1 antivirus program (at the same time), but to have two firewalls or two antivirus programs can cause problems.

I hope your brother can come to your rescue. :flowers:

You are very welcome! :grouphug:

Sian100
March 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Flaxen, yes I only have one of each. I've decided that it's some sort of uploading problem on my computer, as I've also been unable to log into Hotmail all weekend (yet other email accounts seem fine? :confused:) I am investigating uploading problems on the internet now.

aisling
March 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I also have Avast (which even for free is a good one) and XP and it works well, I haven't had any problems with that combo.

Sian100
March 19th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks to everyone who suggested something. After endless messing around with what seemed like all the applications on my computer, in the end it actually turned out to be my firewall. :oops: I uninstalled it, and the internet started working properly again. Then, when I reinstalled it, the same problem came back. I am now firewalless. If anyone knows another good (free of course) firewall which isn't Sygate, please let me know.

The problems started on the first day that I logged into this new site (which is why I thought it was this site), so I suppose my firewall must have decided to do something naughty on the same day. Perhaps it was my DH watching TV on the internet again. :rolleyes: Anyway, sorry I thought it was this site, but you can understand it was a bit of a coincidence, especially when the firewall never decided to play up before.

Thanks again for everyones help,

Sian100

Juliet's Silk
March 19th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Sian, I'm happy that you got it working again. If you run XP (and maybe access the Internet via a router) then I don't think that you need another additional firewall at all. Both XP and the router have inbuilt firewalls that work quite well.

aisling
March 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Yes, the XP built in firewall is supposed to be quite OK. Otherwise, check out Kerio Personal Firewalll, there should be one free version of it.

Flaxen
March 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Yay, Sian! :grin:

Sian100
March 20th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I still don't understand about the built-in firewall on XP...is it completely hidden, because I've never noticed it? :oops:

I don't think I have a router, as I only use one computer in my house.

aisling
March 20th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Click on the start button -> settings -> control panel -> windows firewall. It's probably on, it's hard to turn off as my home nerd found out.

Sian100
March 20th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Click on the start button -> settings -> control panel -> windows firewall. It's probably on, it's hard to turn off as my home nerd found out.

Ooh, how exciting, this is what it said when I clicked on it:

Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/ Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?

I clicked "Yes" and now it's on!

Thanks Aisling- I wonder why it wasn't on in the first place? Perhaps my nerdy contact (my brother) switched it off when he installed the other one for me? Perhaps there was some geeky reason to do with advanced computer skills why he preferred the other one? :shrug: