PDA

View Full Version : Needing support... :'(

Sarah4983
February 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I haven't been here in a while. I'm crying as I type this...

I used to visit these boards when I was trying to grow my hair last year (I made lots of progress thanks to the tips and tricks I learned on here) and due to unexplained permanent blind spots that suddenly appeared in my vision I was told to stop all meds, which included my birth control pill, by my doctors (bcp, which may or may not have anything to do with the vision loss).

A few months after stopping the pill, I experienced a terrifying shed. I have posted about shedding before... and don't get me wrong, that was scary... but this was ridiculous. I had large wads of hair that looked like they were pulled out of a hairbrush under my chair mashed into the carpet at work, hair all over my house, bathroom, clogging the shower... it was coming out in clumps for a month or so, to the point where I was scared to even TOUCH it.

Here is my before and after...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=96316

The top seems to be growing in slowly... there are baby hairs poking out that are about an inch-long or so... the thinnest areas are the lower back of my head (I even have a baldish spot) which makes the under layer of my hair much thinner.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=96319

This was a post about my circumference when my hair was doing well. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30604

It's now the circumference of my pinky finger:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=96322

I was going to get it cut to my shoulders today but I'm really nervous. I need to... it looks terrible and I can't keep hanging on to it, and I know it's just hair... but my long thick hair was a huge part of me and my confidence.

You know... I don't even know where to go to get my hair cut, because I haven't had it cut professionally in so long. My mom would trim the ends up every so often to even them out but I can't remember the last time I had a professional cut.

I have to remind myself that this isn't forever and it will grow back in eventually...

:(

pariate
February 17th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Oh sweetheart :grouphug: You poor thing. I know how upsetting that is, I went through a pretty bad shed a couple of years ago after I was seriously ill. Sending you lots of good wishes!

As far as the cut is concerned, your mum would probably be able to cut it for you if she used the articles posted by Feye. Although they're aimed at self-trimmers/cutters I think they'd be really useful to a non-hairdresser cutting someone else's hair. They're pretty foolproof.

Feye's article on trimming and cutting:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=authorall&authorid=43

Nightshade
February 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Oh sweetie :grouphug: I'm so sorry. Something similar happened to me when I switched from BC pills to my IUD- massive shedding.

For what it's worth, it DOES get better in time. I agree with Feye's method to take off the thinnest ends as high as you're comfortable with.

Have you considered scalp oils or Monistat to encourage faster hair growth?

Florida Mom
February 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Big hugs to you! I know this can't be easy for you. Lots of hugs!!!! I second having your mom cut it to where you feel comfortable. It will grow back sweetheart!!!

wvgemini
February 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Oh my! :grouphug: I agree with the others on trimming to where you feel comfortable and some nice, relaxing and pampering treatments.

One note, perhaps the good trim will make it look/feel more lush and boost how you're feeling? And it will grow back :)

Rocket22
February 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm soooo sorry.. I agree with the others and cut only what you are comfortable with. I know there is nothing I can say to make you feel better but it will grow back and maybe there are things you can do to make it feel thicker as in rag curls etc.. Just remember this is temporary and you will have your thickness back.

Anje
February 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Aww, I'm sorry. Lots of hugs! :grouphug:

Coming off bcp seems to trigger something analogous to a post-partum shed for a lot of women. I know it doesn't help much that you're experiencing is pretty normal, but I hope it's a small comfort at least.

Try not to stress about it too much. Stress isn't good for hair-growing, and your hair will fill in again.

Carolyn
February 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I'm so sorry :grouphug: I agree only trim as much as you are comfortable with. I'm sure your mom could do the trim for you. It's not hard to trim straight one length hair. If she's been doing your trims in the past, she can do this. One thing I'd like to add is often we think we need to trim a bunch off and in reality a smaller trim is sufficient to make a difference. So, for example, if you think you need 4" trimmed, trim 2" off and live with that a while and see how it goes.

lilalong
February 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Hugs!!!
I think you should cut only what you are comfortable with. Personally, I think a cut back to shoulder would look very good, as the strongest taper seems to start right after shoulder.

But whatever you decide, don't worry, it will grow back in time.

eshta
February 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I'm so sorry you have to go through this, I had a big postpartum shed a few years ago and it scared the heck out of me. On the upside, it seams like it's really growing back fast.

If your not ready to cut a lot at once maybe cut an inch every month, and I agree your mother would be easily be able to cut it with Feye's method. And maybe wear it up in the meantime so you won't notice it as much.

:grouphug:

renarok
February 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I want to send my sympathy as well. I experienced massive shedding like this and it was extremely upsetting. Try to take some comfort in knowing that it isn't permanent. Take good care of yourself nutritionally. I agree with the good advice of prior posters. This is a great place to come for help and encouragement.
:blossom::blossom::blossom::blossom::grouphug:

Beesweet
February 17th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Like the other posters, I am so sorry!

It can be frightening. I had a big super-shed once after one of my babies. It was hormonal and I knew it would grow back but it was still scary and I didn't feel so good about myself.

Heck, if I have a greasy day when my hair just seems thin, from experimenting with oils or different conditioner, I get a little anxious, thinking it is hair loss. We love our hair on this forum!

I ended up cutting my hair quite short after that massive shed. Not telling you to do that, but it did look a lot healthier, and when it grew back in, the new growth had less catching up to do. It worked out.

Please keep talking to us. Don't suffer alone!

Hang in there...spring is coming. New growth and all that.

milagro
February 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM
:grouphug: It's sad but you're having new growth already and things will get mended eventually! You and your doctor made the rational choice, vision is far more important than hair. Hair will grow again and it's actually not that bad even now.
And I don't think you should cut it, well maybe trim an inch or two to make the ends more even. With longer length you may manage updos and it will make it look "more hair" till you regain your thickness.

princessp
February 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Oh no I am so sorry to hear this. I agree to only cut when and if you are ready. Castor oil really worked to help grow my hair. Maybe you could give yourself some nice castor oil scalp massages? This thinning shall pass, but in the meantime know we are here for you! {{hugs}}

UltraBella
February 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I am so sorry you are going through this ! How upsetting !!
I do think you will feel better if you trim off the thinnest lengths and any decent salon will be able to handle that with no problem. You mom could easily do it too, but if she is not comfortable with that big of a trim, I suggest going to a professional. I would find someone with experience and explain your situation, be clear with what you want cut and feel free to say no if they make any suggestions that are outside of what you are looking for.
I know this has been really upsetting for you, but it will get better - and I just want to say that I love your hair color, it's very beautiful !!!!!

Yozhik
February 17th, 2011, 02:58 PM
:grouphug: I'm really sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope things have gotten better now, for both you and your hair.
Sending you fast and thick hair growth vibes.

Vorvolaka
February 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Oh, no, I'm really sorry to hear that.

I think you should maybe only cut a little off, and see how it looks after a bit. It WILL thicken up again!

Red_Wednesday
February 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. The same thing happened after my last baby. I shed so much, thought I might lose it all :(. The good thing is - this too shall pass :grouphug:.

DuckyDot
February 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I'm so sorry! Only cut what you want to. And good luck with regaining your hair's thickness! :) x

ravenreed
February 17th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I understand how frustrating this is. I had similar happen after both my sons were born. I had longish hair back then, between BSL and waist, and I didn't cut it. I just let everything catch up. It took a while but it stopped looking funny once the new growth was long enough that it didn't stick straight out like a dandelion. So, don't cut it if you don't want to.

MissManda
February 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your shed and your eyesight problems. :grouphug: :flower:

I also recommend trimming with Feye's method to where you are comfortable. I've been using it for over half a year and can assure you and your mom that it works. Take some time to relax and spoil yourself, too!

I hope things will get better for you soon. Sending lots of hugs your way! :blossom:

Deborah
February 17th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this. :flower:

Besides cutting, you may have another option. If you like your hair in updos, maybe you could put it up every day, and let the new growth come in in its own time. I have never worn one, but I understand that a sock bun can make thin hair look much fuller. A nice French twist would probably look pretty too, with or without a form to give it more bulk.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try. Your hair is pretty, you're young, and I'm sure it will grow in much thicker very soon.

Sarah4983
February 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM
WOW I definitely came to the right place for support :)

Thank you all so much!! All of your kind words are much appreciated. <3

I went for the big chop.... it looks much thicker/healthier so I'm not regretting it (yet).

The hairdresser was great and understanding and left as much length as she could while taking it up to where it was a little thicker, which was at my shoulders. She didn't want to do layers or style it yet... she said to wait until it grows in some more as it is very thin and layers would make it look thinner.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=96339
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=96340

I will continue coming to this site and try to get my hair back to where it was.

Where can I buy castor oil?

Rocket22
February 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Awe that looks adorable!!!! Sounds like you have a wonderful hairdresser as well!

aenflex
February 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Hang in there....it seems to be coming back, just will take some time. I'm so sorry!!! A trim of a few inches looks like it wouldn't be a bad idea to me.

wow- I initially posted this as you were posting your after pic. Looks Amazing!!!

wvgemini
February 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM
It looks great! I'm glad you're feeling better about your hair too :) You should be able to pick up castor oil at the local drugstore.

TiaKitty
February 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I like the trim up!!! I think it's looking great, actually. You're a very pretty lady, no matter what your hair is up to!

I agree with the advice that has been given to you by everyone here... treat yourself right, pampering treatments, great nutrition, updo's, and you'll be back to where you were in no time...

Oh, yeah, and coming to LHC for support and encouragement! :D

UltraBella
February 17th, 2011, 05:27 PM
It looks great !!!!!! I am glad you are feeling good about it, you would never know you went through such a big shed by looking at your hair after the cut. It's a really big improvement, very pretty :)

spitfire511
February 17th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Just wanted to chime in with another 'yes!' for the cut. It looks great! :)

Hylia
February 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM
The new length actually looks great and the ends do look thick, thicker than my ends :)

Demetrue
February 17th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Sarah - you look beautiful! I hope your new growth starts to come back in and your hair will be back to its original thickness before you know it. Have you looked into trying Monistat for hair growth?

Fufu
February 17th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Beautiful new hair you have :)

No worries sweetie, your hair will definitely grow much thicker and healthier ^^

lindaton
February 17th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Wow! Look at you. Sorry to hear about what you have been through. Your hair does look great after the big cut though. And you know you are at the right place.

Linda

Mesmerise
February 17th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I know how you feel! I went through massive shedding last year, just as my hair was reaching a reasonable length (still don't know WHY I was shedding...it just happened).

I considered chopping mine, and in the end I've just had a few "big trims" rather than a major chop, however my ends are still stringy and horrible...

Anyway your haircut looks good and your hair WILL grow back (I tell myself that all the time!!) I have lots of short wispy hairs coming through... it's just a matter of waiting until they catch up!

I have just started using castor oil. I actually found it sort of hard to find as it seems it's sort of "out of fashion" around here (used for digestive purposes I guess??!)...but I managed to find a small bottle in a pharmacy. Next time I'll go online as it seems cheaper. I can't tell you yet if it works or not as I've only done it twice! But time will tell.

lacefrost
February 17th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Your hair looks GREAT! And it'll grow back, no worries. That's the cool thing about hair, it grows whether we want it to or not. I would say check out the benign neglect thread. The ladies over there seem to put their hair up and not really pay attention to it and then a few months later BAM! Loads of hair! I'm gonna try it myself.

RocketDog
February 17th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Your hair looks great! I totally feel your pain and frustration on losing so much hair, I have lost what feels like a good half my circumference in the last year and I don't really know why. The new growth that sprouted out when the shed stopped is just now getting long enough to get slicked back into my updos when I put it up damp so I'm just trying to let it do its thing. It is very depressing to look at my braids now, which is why I don't wear braids for anything but bed, and I'm hesitant to post photos here because I'm so terribly self-conscious about it.

Here's to healthy new growth for all of us, eh?

Mesmerise
February 17th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Your hair looks great! I totally feel your pain and frustration on losing so much hair, I have lost what feels like a good half my circumference in the last year and I don't really know why. The new growth that sprouted out when the shed stopped is just now getting long enough to get slicked back into my updos when I put it up damp so I'm just trying to let it do its thing. It is very depressing to look at my braids now, which is why I don't wear braids for anything but bed, and I'm hesitant to post photos here because I'm so terribly self-conscious about it.

Here's to healthy new growth for all of us, eh?

Yeah, I don't braid my hair anymore... I just sort of pull it back into a ponytail and leave it in a loop (if you know what I mean) cause it hides how thin the ponytail looks. Buns just remind me how thin my hair is too, cause they look so small!!

I try to forget about it as much as possible, but find myself thinking of my hair the way I want it... all long and thick and pretty :rolleyes:.

JulietCapulet
February 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Oh wow, I'm so sorry that must be scary. I think it will be fine if you cut some of it and it will probably grow out nice and thick like before.

RadiantNeedle
February 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Perfect! You look wonderful!

princess03
February 17th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. I went through major hair shedding when I stopped birth control pills as well and worst I started struggling with acne, it was horrible. The shedding stopped but my acne didn't go away. I'm a lot better now, you will be okay.

I agree with having your mom cut it, a lot of professionals get scissor happy and cut too much! Wish you the best :)

CarpeDM
February 17th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Your new do rocks!

milagro
February 17th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Very good trim, your hair looks pretty and healthy :flower: BTW this length emphasizes your elegant long neck.

fluffybunny
February 18th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Very nice result from the cut. Now just be patient, all those new baby hairs will catch up before you know it!

Monsterkitti
February 18th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Your new do looks lovely :) Good luck with regrow and pamper those new baby hairs :D

Eolan
February 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I know how you feel! I just cut back from waist to APL due to thinning. It wasn't an easy decision, but I don't regret it even though I miss the lenght. You look lovely, your cut makes it look as if you never had any shedding at all. If your hormones are moore stable now all your hair should grow back. Hang in there! Hugs!

AZDesertRose
February 18th, 2011, 12:20 AM
:grouphug: The new do looks really good on you.

Good luck on growing! :)

Sarah4983
February 18th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Ohh how I do love this board. I will bookmark this thread for if I start to feel bad about the whole hair situation again... you are all so incredible. Thank you so much for your kind words!

I woke up this morning and my first thought was "my hair is gone!" and my stomach kind of flip-flopped. So... it will take some getting used to.

Reading all the new posts this morning really helped me to feel better, so thank you again.

Henrietta
February 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM
:grouphug: I'm so sorry...:( It is so unfair... But do not worry. It WILL regrow. Both, in length and thickness. If you feel than you're ok with a trim- then trim. Maybe a friend of you or your mum could cut your hair for you? Because with Feye's method it would be hard to cut your hair to SL and make it even... Hairdresser may have their own idea and cut it shorter than you want it to be...
Now the shedding is over, right? So, from now on, it will be just better.
LHC is with you! :)

jackiesjottings
February 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Oh no- I am so sorry :((( Maybe you could have tiny trims to slowly even it up without losing too much length in one go?

Nightshade
February 18th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I think you made the right choice! You still have an even hemline, and now the distance for the most thinned areas is even closer to the ends, so it'll all thicken up faster

Lucia2
February 18th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Just wanted to add my support - I suffered terrible hair thinning liek you when I came off Yasmin BCP last year (along with all sorts of other scary symptoms inc vision issues which is common with that particular pills ingredients). I have no idea what BCP you were on but can I get you to check out the Survivors of Yasmin forum (google it it should come up). There is a whole thread on hair loss issues (and vision changes) and a nutrition support thread that helped me enormously. (I found B Vits and Iron helped my hair).For me the shed came about big time about 3mths off my hair was fine to start with so it was terrible and my hair looked awful - I had mine chopped to shoulder length too and it id make me feel better . Now 9mths on I have lots of new growth (think new hair mullet LOL!) and the really thin spot I had is filling in (thank goodness!). I am waiting till is thickened up a bit then I will start growing it again.
(I found henna made it feel thicker too though I only use Southland Soap 'Poo bars not a full treatment).

Echo everyone else - it DOES get better.
:)

WickedLady
February 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM
what are poo bars?

Lucia2
February 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Shampoo bars - based on proper soap not detergents so no SLS (and not the sort of soap you find in the supermarket etc - proper cold processed soaps especially made for hair. There is a whole HUGE thread in them in the natural haircare thread. :)
I use Southland Soap ones followed by a Cider Apple Vinegar Rinse, but Chagrin Valley, Prairieland Herbs all seem popular here too. (I am a Hairdresser and was EXTREMELY sceptical about using 'soap' on my hair but its made such a difference, it feels thicker, my dry scalp has cleared up etc. You can go through 'transition hair' especially in hard water areas but its well worth persevering and the vinegar rinses help with that too.).

Hope that helps.
:)

CurlAhead
February 18th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I am so sorry for you, I know how much hair can actually have such an influence on one's self-confidence. Luckily, it will grow out sooner or later! I think you will look good in shorter hair as well, even if it just to even up. Good luck!! :)

cuticom
February 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I'm glad the shorter cut worked out for you.

SwordWomanRiona
February 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I'm so sorry for you...:( Not having all the thickness I would like affects me sometimes, I really feel for you. But don't worry, it will grow back and you will get all your original thickness again, you'll see. You can try a trim if you feel better with a shorter length until your hair grows again. Cheer up, remember we're here to help you! :flower:

curlytm
February 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Ooh! Your new haircut looks LOVELY! I hope that getting used to it goes well. Your hair in general looks very shiny and pretty.

And now, you get to baby your ends!!

polette
February 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Your new haircut looks beautiful, and it suits you very nicely. It is always hard to go from one length to another, but it does grow... For the time being, it looks Fantastic!

Cowgirl16
February 19th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I am so sorry..I too went through a big shed about 10 years ago (I had a lot of personal stress). I found that time, patience and lots of B vitamins help. I think if you trim your hair up to your shoulders it would look and feel healthier. Good Luck.:grouphug:

Cowgirl16
February 19th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I guess I should of read ALL the way through:oops: Your new cut is great!

gthlvrmx
February 19th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Oh you poor baby :( I am so sorry to hear about that, i feel for you. I was so scared when i lost fistfulls of hair after my braiding experience. I understand your scare, but trust me, with effort and care it will grow back! I hope you do check up with your doctor though because all that illness does get to the hair and it's best for you to be nice and healthy.

HeatherJenae
February 19th, 2011, 11:32 PM
You are a beautiful lady, we can tell just from the back :) and you should wear your hair with confidence. That is the biggest thing you can do for yourself. If your thin ends make you uncomfortable, cut them off. It will do wonders for your confidence. All of us know that we secretly wonder if we could pull off a sexy flirty shorter style ie. that fantasy short cut you sometimes think of when you get tired of the same long stuff. You have an actual excuse to take that plunge! Get a hot haircut that you would have never tried before. You may end up loving it! And of course, post lots of pictures! :)

Kaeita
February 20th, 2011, 03:47 AM
The new haircut looks great :) though it didn't look all that bad beforehand. I hope your hair grows back thicker soon!